Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
J D Sports Rochdale Expose 12:38 - Dec 14 with 10347 viewsmingthemerciless

Channel 4 News are running an expose of the working conditions at the Rochdale warehouse at 7.00 tonight. From the trailer I heard it sounds a really great place to work. Charles Dickens would be right at home.

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 13:11 - Dec 14 with 5967 viewsdingdangblue

https://www.channel4.com/news/ive-sacked-people-for-sitting-down-undercover-insi

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 14:05 - Dec 14 with 5870 viewsParkinsGimp

Bloody hell , thats bad. Hope some good comes out of it and no employees are punished if identified.
J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 14:23 - Dec 14 with 5835 viewselectricblue

My daughters partner worked there in november via an agncy and always got fully paid....
Didnt say anything how bad it was though.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 17:22 - Dec 14 with 5646 viewsjonesy

From my admittedly limited experience I think most agency work is like this. There is an almost unlimited pool of workers available so there is no need to treat employees with any respect.
J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 17:37 - Dec 14 with 5596 viewsD_Alien

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 14:05 - Dec 14 by ParkinsGimp

Bloody hell , thats bad. Hope some good comes out of it and no employees are punished if identified.

What about the so-called 'line managers' cited in the piece? There are people in any large organisation who find their way into positions of authority over others, and use that position to confuse, degrade and demoralise the workforce.

If these people are identified, I'd fully expect the company to take action against them - anything else will demonstrate the worthlessness of their claims that they're an ethical employer.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 18:06 - Dec 14 with 5509 viewsKenBoon

This is what happens when the people in charge of the town's development, lure companies to Kingsway by saying they can pay lower wages compared to other parts of the country.

"Leaked documents show the Kingsway Recruitment Team told Fine Lady Bakeries Ltd, they could reduce their salary levels for production workers from the £17,000 currently paid to staff at their Oxfordshire base, to £15,000 if it were to come to Rochdale.

The information stated that this amount would be 'more than adequate to attract suitably skilled staff' while being comparable with the average salary level in town."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/fury-over-park-wages-betr

And some wonderful politics and mental gymnastics...
http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news/30432/is-rochdale-being-pro

Sadly every word they say is true, but it's not going to bring the town out of a SLUMP.
J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 18:28 - Dec 14 with 5452 viewsD_Alien

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 18:06 - Dec 14 by KenBoon

This is what happens when the people in charge of the town's development, lure companies to Kingsway by saying they can pay lower wages compared to other parts of the country.

"Leaked documents show the Kingsway Recruitment Team told Fine Lady Bakeries Ltd, they could reduce their salary levels for production workers from the £17,000 currently paid to staff at their Oxfordshire base, to £15,000 if it were to come to Rochdale.

The information stated that this amount would be 'more than adequate to attract suitably skilled staff' while being comparable with the average salary level in town."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/fury-over-park-wages-betr

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news/30432/is-rochdale-being-pro

Sadly every word they say is true, but it's not going to bring the town out of a SLUMP.

But is it better to try and attract jobs at £15k than not to try?

You mention mental gymnastics, but your links quote Cllr Lambert along the lines of "... this is an insult to hardworking families..." - what if those 'families' aren't working at all?

Rochdale has an unemployment rate above both the national and North West average:

https://www.nomisweb.co.uk/reports/lmp/la/1946157085/printable.aspx

No-one wants the town to become a centre for zero-hours contracts, but decent jobs at £15k are surely worth trying to attract, given that the cost of living locally IS lower than where the bakery is currently situated?

[Post edited 14 Dec 2016 18:31]

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 19:08 - Dec 14 with 5361 views49thseason

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 18:06 - Dec 14 by KenBoon

To be fair, the bakery incident was in 2009, not that wages have increased since then.
Unfortunately, this is another example of Labour in Rochdale having all the power but not a single effective idea of how to pull high paid jobs into the town. We were promised that Kingsway would not become another Heywood Industrial Park with lots of warehouse space and few jobs. The fulfillment of that promise is hardly what was expected... big warehouses with lots of crappy jobs. No wonder that people with talent run away from Rochdale in droves.
Login to get fewer ads

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 19:29 - Dec 14 with 5306 viewsmingthemerciless

Just the latest example of the dumbing down of the Rochdale area. Companies like these come to Rochdale for one reason, a low paid and crushed, subservient workforce.
J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 19:39 - Dec 14 with 5271 viewsmingthemerciless

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 18:28 - Dec 14 by D_Alien

But is it better to try and attract jobs at £15k than not to try?

You mention mental gymnastics, but your links quote Cllr Lambert along the lines of "... this is an insult to hardworking families..." - what if those 'families' aren't working at all?

Rochdale has an unemployment rate above both the national and North West average:

https://www.nomisweb.co.uk/reports/lmp/la/1946157085/printable.aspx

No-one wants the town to become a centre for zero-hours contracts, but decent jobs at £15k are surely worth trying to attract, given that the cost of living locally IS lower than where the bakery is currently situated?

[Post edited 14 Dec 2016 18:31]

You're missing the point if you think it's just about low wages. It's the way these companies treat their work force like shite. It's outrageous to expect people to queue up for security checks and not get paid for instance.

My son worked in the office of a company similar to that. The shop floor workforce was mainly Eastern European. When he started there they worked 8-5. All of a sudden a two shift system was imposed 6-2 and 2-10. No consultation, take it or leave it. This was in a location were getting there by public transport wasn't easy at that time in the morning.

The people running these places need sorting out.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2016 22:34]
J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 20:42 - Dec 14 with 5146 viewsD_Alien

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 19:39 - Dec 14 by mingthemerciless

You're missing the point if you think it's just about low wages. It's the way these companies treat their work force like shite. It's outrageous to expect people to queue up for security checks and not get paid for instance.

My son worked in the office of a company similar to that. The shop floor workforce was mainly Eastern European. When he started there they worked 8-5. All of a sudden a two shift system was imposed 6-2 and 2-10. No consultation, take it or leave it. This was in a location were getting there by public transport wasn't easy at that time in the morning.

The people running these places need sorting out.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2016 22:34]

No, you've missed the point, and by a country mile

See my post castigating terrible line management and company ethics

The post you've replied to is about bringing new jobs into the town (in 2009, as 49th pointed out) and the absolute crap spouted by Cllr Lambert

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 20:51 - Dec 14 with 5111 views1mark1

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 19:08 - Dec 14 by 49thseason

To be fair, the bakery incident was in 2009, not that wages have increased since then.
Unfortunately, this is another example of Labour in Rochdale having all the power but not a single effective idea of how to pull high paid jobs into the town. We were promised that Kingsway would not become another Heywood Industrial Park with lots of warehouse space and few jobs. The fulfillment of that promise is hardly what was expected... big warehouses with lots of crappy jobs. No wonder that people with talent run away from Rochdale in droves.

The Lib Dems were in power at the time. Not defending Labour, but it's only fair to point out that the failures of Rochdale MBC over the years have happened when all three of the major parties have had control at certain times since the formation of the MBC.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 21:04 - Dec 14 with 5072 views49thseason

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 20:51 - Dec 14 by 1mark1

The Lib Dems were in power at the time. Not defending Labour, but it's only fair to point out that the failures of Rochdale MBC over the years have happened when all three of the major parties have had control at certain times since the formation of the MBC.

Apologies you are correct and in 2010 the unholy alliance between Cons and Labour was enacted. Clueless seems to be a theme in RMBC no matter what party. I noticed in the 2015-16 accounts that there was a £97m "reserve", admittedly some of it is held by schools but a Good £60m was simply not spent including umpteen millions kept "safe" to pay the excesses on insurance claims. Well, if things ran properly there wouldn't be a need to be huge excesses on the policies would there?
J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 21:12 - Dec 14 with 5047 views1mark1

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 21:04 - Dec 14 by 49thseason

Apologies you are correct and in 2010 the unholy alliance between Cons and Labour was enacted. Clueless seems to be a theme in RMBC no matter what party. I noticed in the 2015-16 accounts that there was a £97m "reserve", admittedly some of it is held by schools but a Good £60m was simply not spent including umpteen millions kept "safe" to pay the excesses on insurance claims. Well, if things ran properly there wouldn't be a need to be huge excesses on the policies would there?

Yes that alliance between Lab and Tories was so,wrong.
There are and have been some good Councillors but unfortunately many have been poor. Sadly as a Town and Borough we have been let down by terrible Rochdale MPs and Councils over the years including employed Officers of the Council. I would say IMHO Heywood and Middleton has done ok with at least two good MPs, the late Jim Dobbin and Liz McInnes the current one.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 22:17 - Dec 14 with 4938 viewsSuddenLad

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 21:12 - Dec 14 by 1mark1

Yes that alliance between Lab and Tories was so,wrong.
There are and have been some good Councillors but unfortunately many have been poor. Sadly as a Town and Borough we have been let down by terrible Rochdale MPs and Councils over the years including employed Officers of the Council. I would say IMHO Heywood and Middleton has done ok with at least two good MPs, the late Jim Dobbin and Liz McInnes the current one.

Rochdale hasn't had a quality MP since Wentworth Schofield. Jack McCann was an honourable man but out of his depth. Anyone else has either been in it for themselves, completely ineffective or the current incumbent who isn't fit to hold any kind of public office, let alone sit in the Palace of Westminster. A very sad state of affairs for which the electorate of this town has been made to pay the price.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 22:32 - Dec 14 with 4914 viewsmingthemerciless

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 22:17 - Dec 14 by SuddenLad

Rochdale hasn't had a quality MP since Wentworth Schofield. Jack McCann was an honourable man but out of his depth. Anyone else has either been in it for themselves, completely ineffective or the current incumbent who isn't fit to hold any kind of public office, let alone sit in the Palace of Westminster. A very sad state of affairs for which the electorate of this town has been made to pay the price.

I must admit you're dead right there. Our MP's in my time , and I include Jack McCann in this, have been universally awful with the possible exception of Liz Lynne. I can say that honestly as a Labour voter.

Another point - Rochdale electors have had the uncanny ability to elect MP's that weren't members of the Government of the time. So our influence in Parliament and our ability to get crumbs from the London table has been negligible.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2016 22:36]
J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 22:58 - Dec 14 with 4857 views49thseason

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 22:32 - Dec 14 by mingthemerciless

I must admit you're dead right there. Our MP's in my time , and I include Jack McCann in this, have been universally awful with the possible exception of Liz Lynne. I can say that honestly as a Labour voter.

Another point - Rochdale electors have had the uncanny ability to elect MP's that weren't members of the Government of the time. So our influence in Parliament and our ability to get crumbs from the London table has been negligible.

Nail well hit with hammer!
The last MP for Rochdale to sit on the Government benches must have been that former shoe shop assistant Lorna Fitsimmons.I dont remember her gettting into many pork barrel sqabbles on behalf of her constituents.
J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 23:14 - Dec 14 with 4834 viewsD_Alien

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 22:32 - Dec 14 by mingthemerciless

Surely the same applies in a majority of constituencies?

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 23:14 - Dec 14 with 4834 viewsKenBoon

I may have posted the wrong link, but there was a quote defending the town being cheap as a selling point by saying these cheap jobs would lead to better pay and careers (or words to that affect). I don't see the bright future in working in a JD Sports warehouse. The investigation showed that agency workers are treated like dog muck. The town's development agency needs to bring skilled jobs to the area.

The JDs of this world will park their warehouses wherever offers them the highest profit. There is little to no investment in people. Rochdale will improve when it has more career opportunities, better careers and therefore generally people paying more tax. Companies like Zen Internet and Rochdale AFC invest in people and provide careers. Bums like JD pay shit to treat people like shit.

Where's the investment in local businesses. The NEW town centre is all about attracting high street names. It's a waste of time. People will go to Manchester or Bury. Our town could be different and focus on local businesses, putting businesses in a location they might not normally get, but I guess that's too much work or too greater challenge... but I'm changing the subject there. So basically JD are shit houses. JD, get the label and their other brands belong in the same dump as sports direct and Amazon.
J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 23:18 - Dec 14 with 4823 viewsmingthemerciless

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 22:58 - Dec 14 by 49thseason

Nail well hit with hammer!
The last MP for Rochdale to sit on the Government benches must have been that former shoe shop assistant Lorna Fitsimmons.I dont remember her gettting into many pork barrel sqabbles on behalf of her constituents.

Blairite careerist. What more can I say.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2016 23:24]
J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 23:22 - Dec 14 with 4811 viewsmingthemerciless

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 23:14 - Dec 14 by D_Alien

Surely the same applies in a majority of constituencies?

What I meant to say was - When the Torys are in power we elect a Labour MP. When Labour were in power we manage to elect Liberal MP's for years. We never had the ear of the Governing Party at critical times in the past.
J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 23:24 - Dec 14 with 4808 views49thseason

In other news , Rochdale councillors have just voted themselves a 34% pay increase! So much for their solidarity with the JD staff.
J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 23:29 - Dec 14 with 4792 viewsKenBoon

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 23:24 - Dec 14 by 49thseason

In other news , Rochdale councillors have just voted themselves a 34% pay increase! So much for their solidarity with the JD staff.

I saw that and couldn't believe it. I think the defence is that they don't want it, but it's been suggested so they'll have to. It's a darn hard life.
J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 00:07 - Dec 15 with 4755 views49thseason

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 23:29 - Dec 14 by KenBoon

I saw that and couldn't believe it. I think the defence is that they don't want it, but it's been suggested so they'll have to. It's a darn hard life.

You wonder what part of voting no they dont understand. And how will we ever know if those that say they dont want it actually find a way to give it away transparently?
J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 00:19 - Dec 15 with 4736 viewsSuddenLad

J D Sports Rochdale Expose on 00:07 - Dec 15 by 49thseason

You wonder what part of voting no they dont understand. And how will we ever know if those that say they dont want it actually find a way to give it away transparently?

And Fat Farnell is in line for a 51% increase in his salary. Pass the sick bucket.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024