Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Graham Taylor 13:24 - Jan 12 with 3030 viewsjimmysbaldhead

RIP
Worked wonders at Watford
Graham Taylor on 13:27 - Jan 12 with 3003 viewsdale5758

Aye sad loss....I always felt he was badly let down by the footballers around him when he was Manager of England and his treatment by the press was scandalous

Poll: Spenhe Hogan windfall and on who?

Graham Taylor on 13:28 - Jan 12 with 2990 viewsScunnydale

I met him about 8/9 years ago. Was a very pleasant bloke who seemed totally genuine. I was in the company of someone who knew him years back so he was very relaxed and friendly.
Graham Taylor on 13:58 - Jan 12 with 2894 viewsdingdangblue

Graham Taylor on 13:28 - Jan 12 by Scunnydale

I met him about 8/9 years ago. Was a very pleasant bloke who seemed totally genuine. I was in the company of someone who knew him years back so he was very relaxed and friendly.

RIP

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Graham Taylor on 14:03 - Jan 12 with 2879 viewspioneer

Graham Taylor on 13:28 - Jan 12 by Scunnydale

I helped out with the 'fighting fund' blokes in the 1970s which involved looking after the away dressing room. Most managers respected the struggle the club was going through but he was the biggest moaner of the lot while with Lincoln and Watford. Orange too warm, tea too cold etc etc. Contrast his attitude with that of Johnny King at Tranmere, who also passed away not too long ago...night and day. Taylor probably mellowed in his later years free of the stresses of football management.

Cannot deny what he achieved at Watford. Yes he had money available but it was used very well and never spent in a way that left the club with huge debts.
Graham Taylor on 18:24 - Jan 12 with 2670 viewsD_Dale

Graham Taylor on 14:03 - Jan 12 by pioneer

I helped out with the 'fighting fund' blokes in the 1970s which involved looking after the away dressing room. Most managers respected the struggle the club was going through but he was the biggest moaner of the lot while with Lincoln and Watford. Orange too warm, tea too cold etc etc. Contrast his attitude with that of Johnny King at Tranmere, who also passed away not too long ago...night and day. Taylor probably mellowed in his later years free of the stresses of football management.

Cannot deny what he achieved at Watford. Yes he had money available but it was used very well and never spent in a way that left the club with huge debts.

An interesting insight into those days. It's sometimes been said that clubs attempted to upset the psychology of visiting sides by making the away changing room unheated and grubby, with rickety furniture, too few threadbare towels etc.

But I'm sure there was none of that sort of gamesmanship at Spotland!
Graham Taylor on 19:08 - Jan 12 with 2616 viewsHopwoodblue

Graham Taylor on 18:24 - Jan 12 by D_Dale

An interesting insight into those days. It's sometimes been said that clubs attempted to upset the psychology of visiting sides by making the away changing room unheated and grubby, with rickety furniture, too few threadbare towels etc.

Think it's probably the way Spotland was in general back then.
I'm sure I've seen an interview years ago were he said one of his daughters was a Rochdale fan.

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Graham Taylor on 19:18 - Jan 12 with 2597 views442Dale

Graham Taylor on 19:08 - Jan 12 by Hopwoodblue

I'm sure I've seen an interview years ago were he said one of his daughters was a Rochdale fan.

It wasn't even that good in the tunnel/dressing room area. I've seen better facilities at Firgrove since.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Graham Taylor on 19:18 - Jan 12 with 2597 viewsTVOS1907

Graham Taylor on 19:08 - Jan 12 by Hopwoodblue

Yes, she (Karen) was. It was a story that came out when we played them in the Littlewoods Cup in 1986.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Graham Taylor on 20:10 - Jan 12 with 2523 viewssoulboy

Typical radio 5 live, plenty of coverage on every sports bulletin of his managerial career starting at Watford, but not a mention of him taking Lincoln to the 4th division title in 1975/76. 74 points (2 points for a win), only 4 defeats and scoring 111 goals.
Graham Taylor on 21:30 - Jan 12 with 2444 viewspioneer

Graham Taylor on 18:24 - Jan 12 by D_Dale

gamesmanship? If only ! what they got was what our own team got ...and it wasn't much! All we could afford. And the fighting fund blokes (Alan and Jack essentially) were doing it for nothing (other than their love of Rochdale AFC).
Graham Taylor on 05:44 - Jan 13 with 2317 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Graham Taylor on 19:18 - Jan 12 by TVOS1907

Yes, she (Karen) was. It was a story that came out when we played them in the Littlewoods Cup in 1986.

What was the reason for her becoming a Dale fan?

That Watford game was my first Dale match.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2017 5:45]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024