Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joe Bunney and the subs 17:03 - Apr 6 with 11420 viewsoddjob007

Not knocking his work rate or commitment, but frankly he’s not good enough. All their attacks came down our left side, it was a matter of time before they scored, and they did from that side.

Subs were a little baffling.., why take Hendo off? Dooley is like a headless chicken.

However, we looked good and matched them, could have even nicked it. Left side is an issue.
Joe Bunney and the subs on 12:30 - Apr 8 with 1455 viewsDaleFan7

I think Saturday confirmed what I have thought for a while. Within the squad we have a capable starting XI at this level, however, our 'squad' as a whole isn't good enough. Looking at the bench on Saturday, there wasn't anyone on there who could have come on and made us any better than we were, despite us being tired.

Every substitution made us worse. I can't attribute the blame on these subs to BBM because he's been left with the sub-standard squad. He needed to make some changes though as some of the players were dead on their feet. Whether Wilbraham and Hendo were knackered, probably not. Williams shows a lot of effort and there probably is half a decent player in there somewhere. Inman is a waste of a wage, he won't run at players, he won't get stuck in when we lose the ball, I'm not actually sure what he does. Dooley was absolutely awful when he came on and wasn't even a 2/10, every time he got it he did nothing with it and every time they were attacking he threw himself at the defender and the defender just brushed him aside every time, which ultimately led to their second goal.

With a win tomorrow I'm still hopeful we can beat the drop, given the stability the settled starting XI has brought. It was a good performance on Saturday, one that showed grit and determination to match one of the better teams in the league and shows that the players can do it when they want to. Why they didn't want to under Hill, we don't know but can probably guess.
Joe Bunney and the subs on 12:44 - Apr 8 with 1404 viewsblackdogblue

Joe Bunney and the subs on 22:37 - Apr 7 by 49thseason

The last 5 games have proved a few things, mainly that deciding on your best 11 and as far as possible sticking with it is a good idea. It's also the case that the team is working harder than at any stage in the previous 2 seasons and getting some rewards as a result. I think its also the case that Wilbraham is a better option than Andrew as a centre forward and that McLaughlin is proving to be an improvement on Rafferty.
Substitutions yesterday didn't add much to the picture and I think most of us would have prefered that they hadn't happened but I guess there was one eye on Accrington and also the thought that there are not many games left before a number of player's futures will have to be decided upon and they got a brief chance to see if they could make an impact. I don't think they did, so perhaps things are becoming ever clearer in the manager's mind about who he wants on board and who he doesn't.
BBM has to get 100% out of his team on Tuesday. if L1 next season is to stay within our grasp. So, hopefully much the same team as Saturday with better options from the bench.
I think there may well be some familiar faces on their way out over the Summer, no matter what the outcome of this campaign, but with change comes opportunity, and BBM will want to start putting his own stamp on the team

Agree with most of your points, KH (ex-GME) must have took his tombola machine with him when he left. 😀

What I am struggling with is better options from the bench though...

Like who exactly? Pyke last I heard was injured, bearing in mind the number of loan players allowed you mean Zach Clough & Rory Holden? Else Calvin & the “yoof”??

On another point, Josh getting stick, he made some great saves & looking at the 2 goals on Sat night TV, Jim was turned inside out & Dooley should have done better...

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Joe Bunney and the subs on 19:49 - Apr 8 with 1182 views49thseason

I have been saying for years that I don't think Lillis is good enough, and in truth, he hasn't improved either. He still launches near vertical clearances, he still takes an age dithering with the ball in his hands wondering where to kick it and he seems to have added an ability to let in very soft goals at key passages of play. it's safe to say that Lonergan probably won the 3 points against Shrewsbury single-handed, you expect your keeper to do that occasionally. Unfortunately, Lillis is worse than Marmite, brilliant one minute and frustratingly given to making a howler the next. Blaming the defence is all very well, we know it's not brilliant and that the goalkeeper is going to be busy, the problem arises when what looks like a weak attempt on goal rolls into the net with the keeper making an equally poor attempt to stop it. in the case of Lillis, there are too many occasions where he gets beaten by relatively stoppable chances. Oh, and whilst I am on the subject, given all the Saturday afternoons he has stood at the Pearl Street end during the second halves of matches and the sun has been low in the sky, why will he not wear a cap or even take one onto the pitch?
Joe Bunney and the subs on 19:57 - Apr 8 with 1164 viewsonedalefan

Joe Bunney and the subs on 19:49 - Apr 8 by 49thseason

I have been saying for years that I don't think Lillis is good enough, and in truth, he hasn't improved either. He still launches near vertical clearances, he still takes an age dithering with the ball in his hands wondering where to kick it and he seems to have added an ability to let in very soft goals at key passages of play. it's safe to say that Lonergan probably won the 3 points against Shrewsbury single-handed, you expect your keeper to do that occasionally. Unfortunately, Lillis is worse than Marmite, brilliant one minute and frustratingly given to making a howler the next. Blaming the defence is all very well, we know it's not brilliant and that the goalkeeper is going to be busy, the problem arises when what looks like a weak attempt on goal rolls into the net with the keeper making an equally poor attempt to stop it. in the case of Lillis, there are too many occasions where he gets beaten by relatively stoppable chances. Oh, and whilst I am on the subject, given all the Saturday afternoons he has stood at the Pearl Street end during the second halves of matches and the sun has been low in the sky, why will he not wear a cap or even take one onto the pitch?

He had a cap at the side of the net, just didn't wear it.
Joe Bunney and the subs on 20:02 - Apr 8 with 1139 views442Dale

All about opinions. But he’s made more appearances for the club than any other keeper in our history, most of which have been in a higher division than we traditionally reside. He’s a good L1 goalkeeper and one which has given us excellent service. Time and again it’s been asked what other regular L1 keepers are better who we could sign on our budget.

We’d probably not be in the bottom four now if Hill had played him all season. That farce with the ever-changing keepers has cost us.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Joe Bunney and the subs on 20:14 - Apr 8 with 1121 views49thseason

Well, given the keeper-go-round we have had this season its apparent that Keith had lost faith in him. It seems to me that if anything he's has got worse the longer he has been with us, which doesn't say much for our goalkeeping coach. Just taking the example of kicking, Lonergan kicks on a much flatter trajectory giving the forwards a much easier delivery to deal with, Lillis still thinks Vincenti is on the right wing and hoofs everything as near vertical as possible giving the forward its aimed at an impossible ball to deal with and giving a defender a much easier ball to get rid of. It's perhaps a small thing in the scheme of things but over 90 minutes, doing 100 small things better adds up to much better performances.
Joe Bunney and the subs on 20:24 - Apr 8 with 1095 views442Dale

Joe Bunney and the subs on 20:14 - Apr 8 by 49thseason

Well, given the keeper-go-round we have had this season its apparent that Keith had lost faith in him. It seems to me that if anything he's has got worse the longer he has been with us, which doesn't say much for our goalkeeping coach. Just taking the example of kicking, Lonergan kicks on a much flatter trajectory giving the forwards a much easier delivery to deal with, Lillis still thinks Vincenti is on the right wing and hoofs everything as near vertical as possible giving the forward its aimed at an impossible ball to deal with and giving a defender a much easier ball to get rid of. It's perhaps a small thing in the scheme of things but over 90 minutes, doing 100 small things better adds up to much better performances.

Yes, we’ve discussed the distribution on here before too. Lillis sometimes does some great kicks out, sometimes he doesn’t. Yet to see anyone at this level who has been consistently better, including Lonergan who didn’t get his kicks right all the time either. No issue at all looking at the weaknesses of players with the hope they will improve, but until there’s a keeper identified within our budget who can offer more than Lillis, who is proven and still capable, then would rather stick with him.

Again, can anyone name another keeper in L1 who has been consistently better over the last five seasons. Nothing wrong with looking for better players, but they have to be identified. If we can get Lonergan for a reasonable outlay, that would be a great signing.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Joe Bunney and the subs on 20:45 - Apr 8 with 1042 viewssoulboy

Joe Bunney and the subs on 20:02 - Apr 8 by 442Dale

All about opinions. But he’s made more appearances for the club than any other keeper in our history, most of which have been in a higher division than we traditionally reside. He’s a good L1 goalkeeper and one which has given us excellent service. Time and again it’s been asked what other regular L1 keepers are better who we could sign on our budget.

We’d probably not be in the bottom four now if Hill had played him all season. That farce with the ever-changing keepers has cost us.

Yes, in particular the keeper from Fulham.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024