Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ouch! 10:25 - Aug 6 with 2029 viewsD_Alien

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-49243595

NHS cuts? A snip at £20,000

The need for medical negligence payouts should be circumscribed

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ouch! on 10:32 - Aug 6 with 1994 viewsDaleiLama

Presumably compo paid by cheque from a blankety-blank cheque book?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Ouch! on 10:43 - Aug 6 with 1965 viewsD_Alien

Ouch! on 10:32 - Aug 6 by DaleiLama

Presumably compo paid by cheque from a blankety-blank cheque book?

You've still got your foresight!

But seriously, the insurance premiums that NHS Trusts have to take out to erm... cover themselves against such errors (often much more damaging) has been rising steadily and amounts to plenty of millions per annum alone. We all pay for it

It's not simple human error either; anyone can make mistakes. It's also due to complacency in not following simple mandatory checks put in place to try and prevent human error. Or perhaps, pressures of various types too, such as staffing levels

[Post edited 6 Aug 2019 10:44]

Ouch! on 11:23 - Aug 6 with 1859 viewsmingthemerciless

They do me if they want. The £20k would be very handy just now.
Ouch! on 11:49 - Aug 6 with 1811 viewsD_Alien

Ouch! on 11:23 - Aug 6 by mingthemerciless

They do me if they want. The £20k would be very handy just now.

Be careful what you wish for, mingtheringless...

Ouch! on 11:56 - Aug 6 with 1788 viewsJames1980

https://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/seagull-testicle/

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Ouch! on 13:05 - Aug 6 with 1673 viewsMolly

The cruelest cut of all!
Ouch! on 13:17 - Aug 6 with 1645 viewsShun

Ouch! on 10:43 - Aug 6 by D_Alien

You've still got your foresight!

But seriously, the insurance premiums that NHS Trusts have to take out to erm... cover themselves against such errors (often much more damaging) has been rising steadily and amounts to plenty of millions per annum alone. We all pay for it

It's not simple human error either; anyone can make mistakes. It's also due to complacency in not following simple mandatory checks put in place to try and prevent human error. Or perhaps, pressures of various types too, such as staffing levels

[Post edited 6 Aug 2019 10:44]

Agree it’s probably due to a combination of all of those things, but I’d also put the increase down to the shift in society where we seem to be fully immersed in a blame culture now. We’re bombarded with those ‘have you been in an accident that wasn’t your fault?’ adverts. I think it’s something we’ve adopted from America, where the default response to taking umbrage to something is ‘I’ll sue you’ (or perhaps more prevalent now, ‘I’ll shoot you’!).
Ouch! on 13:26 - Aug 6 with 1624 viewsdalefertcup2

Ouch! on 11:49 - Aug 6 by D_Alien

Be careful what you wish for, mingtheringless...

..... be no skin off his nose....
Login to get fewer ads

Ouch! on 13:31 - Aug 6 with 1618 viewsD_Alien

Ouch! on 13:17 - Aug 6 by Shun

Agree it’s probably due to a combination of all of those things, but I’d also put the increase down to the shift in society where we seem to be fully immersed in a blame culture now. We’re bombarded with those ‘have you been in an accident that wasn’t your fault?’ adverts. I think it’s something we’ve adopted from America, where the default response to taking umbrage to something is ‘I’ll sue you’ (or perhaps more prevalent now, ‘I’ll shoot you’!).

Absolutely, Shun

Sometimes (but not always), a sincere and prompt apology can go a long way

What i'm sick (!) of hearing is hospital managers trotting out the same old line about "we're going to learn from this" - as if systems weren't already meant to be in place to prevent the entirely avoidable. And we can be sure as hell that lessons won't be learnt. I'd regard it as a form of insult, i.e. "we couldn't be bothered to check our systems were robust in the first place"

Apologies if all this appears as a rant - perhaps it is. But just to add to your point about blame culture - all too often individuals end up being scapegoated for errors as an easy way out when it's been proven time and again that most major errors are caused by faultlines in the culture of an organisation. A typical example would be inter-professional rivalries leading to failure to communicate

It's a bit like a defender making a poor pass under pressure which leads to a goal conceded, when the defence isn't properly organised and team spirit is low

[Post edited 6 Aug 2019 13:34]

Ouch! on 13:33 - Aug 6 with 1610 viewspioneer

Ouch! on 13:17 - Aug 6 by Shun

obviously you or your loved ones have not been the victim of serious errors or negligence by the NHS.

The compensation you can claim for the loss of a loved one is limited to the period of suffering the loved one wentthrough. So if they kill you quick the NHS get off lightly. And of course those responsible rarely face any serious sanctions. The one found responsible for the death of a relative of mine is continuing to work in the NHS, no doubt providing the same substandard care and putting others lives at risk. Not a blame culture, an independent investigation under the title of the NHS ombudsman.

There are many fine people workingin the NHS but the reputation of the organisation is brought down by the continued employment of the bad apples.
Ouch! on 14:34 - Aug 6 with 1494 viewsShun

Ouch! on 13:31 - Aug 6 by D_Alien

Absolutely, Shun

Sometimes (but not always), a sincere and prompt apology can go a long way

What i'm sick (!) of hearing is hospital managers trotting out the same old line about "we're going to learn from this" - as if systems weren't already meant to be in place to prevent the entirely avoidable. And we can be sure as hell that lessons won't be learnt. I'd regard it as a form of insult, i.e. "we couldn't be bothered to check our systems were robust in the first place"

Apologies if all this appears as a rant - perhaps it is. But just to add to your point about blame culture - all too often individuals end up being scapegoated for errors as an easy way out when it's been proven time and again that most major errors are caused by faultlines in the culture of an organisation. A typical example would be inter-professional rivalries leading to failure to communicate

It's a bit like a defender making a poor pass under pressure which leads to a goal conceded, when the defence isn't properly organised and team spirit is low

[Post edited 6 Aug 2019 13:34]

Agree with all of that, and great analogy in your last paragraph!
Ouch! on 14:35 - Aug 6 with 1489 viewsdeeplishblue

Ouch! on 11:56 - Aug 6 by James1980

https://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/seagull-testicle/

Looking at the other stories on that website I guess that this story is a spoof.

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024