Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rochdale Stats Database 01:30 - Apr 25 with 10572 viewsChockers1

Hi.

i'm using lock-down to put together a Rochdale database, year on year stats for all players, appearances, goals, sub appearances etc which will give an overall list of these stats per competition....love stats and dale so it's a win-win for me. I also like looking at Dale manager's or era's and seeing how actually played the most games who was the sub's always coming on and who bagged the most goals....

1 - Is there something like this that is in circulation?
2 - What would be the best place to get this information - i'v found soccerbase has stats to 1996 but wondering how i could go back further? I'm guessing i might need some annuals but am unsure which one's would be best

Any information would be greatly received :)

Cheers All

UP THE DALE
[Post edited 4 May 2020 4:46]
Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 05:05 - Apr 25 with 6371 viewspioneer

you need to get a copy of stephen phillipps complete statistical history of the club which goes back to year 1 with line ups, subs from 1965, scorers for all league games and cup competitions.

No pointin reinventing the wheel

I think it is out of print but you often see it on e bay.
Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 05:49 - Apr 25 with 6368 viewsChockers1

Legend, Thank you mate

Will take a look for it and prob use the data to create something that can be updated etc
Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 05:51 - Apr 25 with 6365 viewsChockers1

Is it the official history book or the who's who?
Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 08:38 - Apr 25 with 6301 viewsSuddenLad

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 05:51 - Apr 25 by Chockers1

Is it the official history book or the who's who?

Who's Who has the names/details/stats, the history is exactly that - the story of the history of the club. The Who's Who is in separate volumes. not just one book. Each available separately.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 11:50 - Apr 25 with 6229 views100569

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 05:05 - Apr 25 by pioneer

you need to get a copy of stephen phillipps complete statistical history of the club which goes back to year 1 with line ups, subs from 1965, scorers for all league games and cup competitions.

No pointin reinventing the wheel

I think it is out of print but you often see it on e bay.

Just for your information. There are quite a few mistakes in that book. You need to use quite a few referance books in tandem and cross reference across them all to be absolutely accurate ie rothmans/sky sports annuals, news of the world, athletic news annuals and old programmes it took up a good portion of my life !!!!
Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 12:03 - Apr 25 with 6221 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 11:50 - Apr 25 by 100569

Just for your information. There are quite a few mistakes in that book. You need to use quite a few referance books in tandem and cross reference across them all to be absolutely accurate ie rothmans/sky sports annuals, news of the world, athletic news annuals and old programmes it took up a good portion of my life !!!!

Just as a point of interest (i'm always interested in data/stats), in the absence of a definitive answer, how would you distinguish between two or more pieces of conflicting data?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 12:18 - Apr 25 with 6209 views100569

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 12:03 - Apr 25 by D_Alien

Just as a point of interest (i'm always interested in data/stats), in the absence of a definitive answer, how would you distinguish between two or more pieces of conflicting data?

In addition to all the annuals etc I also travelled up and down the country visiting reference libraries and researching old newspapers. In answer to your question were there was a conflict I always took the one that had the most entries and took that as being correct. I guess nothing is 100% guaranteed though. The only way to be that is if you were there yourself and logged it all yourself. Of course I`m not so much talking about stats over recent decades as the internet is a marvellous tool to have but to go back many decades information was very sparse.
Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 12:25 - Apr 25 with 6196 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 12:18 - Apr 25 by 100569

In addition to all the annuals etc I also travelled up and down the country visiting reference libraries and researching old newspapers. In answer to your question were there was a conflict I always took the one that had the most entries and took that as being correct. I guess nothing is 100% guaranteed though. The only way to be that is if you were there yourself and logged it all yourself. Of course I`m not so much talking about stats over recent decades as the internet is a marvellous tool to have but to go back many decades information was very sparse.

I'm impressed by your dedication to the cause, although it was no doubt enjoyable too

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 20:21 - Apr 25 with 6102 viewsChockers1

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 11:50 - Apr 25 by 100569

Thank you for the heads up mate

By any chance would you be free for a half hour chat in whatsapp to pick your brain on a few questions i have?
Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 04:35 - May 4 with 5907 viewsChockers1

**Progress Update**

Database put together for years 1996/97 all the way through to 2019/20.
Includes all league, fa cup, league cup, leasing.com trophy & playoffs games - starts, sub appearances & goals and can be broken down in to multiple categories etc..

I've ordered the Dale history book (thanks for the heads up) to carry on taking this further back, my goals is to create a digital database people can access

Also during this time Dale have played had 399 different players with 42 players only playing 1 game for the dale

Top 10 Appearances in this timeframe (League & Cup)

Gary Jones 533
Ian Henderson 341
Wayne Evans 299
Josh Lillis 292
Neil Edwards 278
Joe Rafferty 254
Matt Done 239
Callum Camps 238
Calvin Andrew 231
Gareth Griffiths 206

Goals (League & Cup)

Ian Henderson 126
Gary Jones 79
Chris Dagnall 60
Adam Le Fondre 42
Grant Holt 42
Clive Platt 37
Lee McEvilly 34
Matt Done 32
Peter Vincenti 32
Paul Connor 32

When I've got everything nailed down and back as far as possible i'l put it on a google drive for you all to access but for now it's keep me incredibly engaged and entertained.

One thing i have found out that wikipedia is at times fairly incorrect and i am having to use multiple sources to find the most reliable information. E.g, Jonah stats are different to the official stats both appearances in league (471 rather than 464 and goals 73 rather than 70). I will keep digging into this stuff to find any anomalies.

If there is anything you want to know stats wise between 1996 and 2020 let me know

Tails
Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 13:19 - May 4 with 5804 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 04:35 - May 4 by Chockers1

**Progress Update**

Includes all league, fa cup, league cup, leasing.com trophy & playoffs games - starts, sub appearances & goals and can be broken down in to multiple categories etc..

I've ordered the Dale history book (thanks for the heads up) to carry on taking this further back, my goals is to create a digital database people can access

Also during this time Dale have played had 399 different players with 42 players only playing 1 game for the dale

Gary Jones 533
Ian Henderson 341
Wayne Evans 299
Josh Lillis 292
Neil Edwards 278
Joe Rafferty 254
Matt Done 239
Callum Camps 238
Calvin Andrew 231
Gareth Griffiths 206

Goals (League & Cup)

Ian Henderson 126
Gary Jones 79
Chris Dagnall 60
Adam Le Fondre 42
Grant Holt 42
Clive Platt 37
Lee McEvilly 34
Matt Done 32
Peter Vincenti 32
Paul Connor 32

When I've got everything nailed down and back as far as possible i'l put it on a google drive for you all to access but for now it's keep me incredibly engaged and entertained.

One thing i have found out that wikipedia is at times fairly incorrect and i am having to use multiple sources to find the most reliable information. E.g, Jonah stats are different to the official stats both appearances in league (471 rather than 464 and goals 73 rather than 70). I will keep digging into this stuff to find any anomalies.

If there is anything you want to know stats wise between 1996 and 2020 let me know

Tails

I'm not sure what sources you're using (Soccerbase is notably unreliable), but some of your figures are wrong. The corrections are:

Gary Jones 531
Ian Henderson 343
Wayne Evans 299
Neil Edwards 277
Joe Rafferty 257
Matt Done 241
Callum Camps 240
Gareth Griffiths 204

Goals

Gary Jones 80
Adam Le Fondre 41
Grant Holt 45
Lee McEvilly 35
Matt Done 31
Paul Connor 31

All these figures are from official club records.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 15:38 - May 4 with 5765 viewsDaleiLama

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 13:19 - May 4 by TVOS1907

I'm not sure what sources you're using (Soccerbase is notably unreliable), but some of your figures are wrong. The corrections are:

Gary Jones 531
Ian Henderson 343
Wayne Evans 299
Neil Edwards 277
Joe Rafferty 257
Matt Done 241
Callum Camps 240
Gareth Griffiths 204

Goals

Gary Jones 80
Adam Le Fondre 41
Grant Holt 45
Lee McEvilly 35
Matt Done 31
Paul Connor 31

Good to see you back TVOS!

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 16:11 - May 4 with 5746 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 15:38 - May 4 by DaleiLama

Good to see you back TVOS!

Thank-you, DL.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 20:24 - May 4 with 5662 viewsChockers1

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 13:19 - May 4 by TVOS1907

Gary Jones 531
Ian Henderson 343
Wayne Evans 299
Neil Edwards 277
Joe Rafferty 257
Matt Done 241
Callum Camps 240
Gareth Griffiths 204

Goals

Gary Jones 80
Adam Le Fondre 41
Grant Holt 45
Lee McEvilly 35
Matt Done 31
Paul Connor 31

Thanks TVOS1907

Yeah they didn't look right and soccerbase is all i've had access to so far.

Is there anywhere that the club show the detailed records?

I'm planning on using the rochdale history book as well as the yearly football annuals & matchday programmes to put together the info.

I guess what i have so far is a database that can be edited in terms of numbers easily to provide the details

is there anywhere else you would recommend looking?
Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 20:44 - May 4 with 5638 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 20:24 - May 4 by Chockers1

Thanks TVOS1907

Yeah they didn't look right and soccerbase is all i've had access to so far.

Is there anywhere that the club show the detailed records?

I'm planning on using the rochdale history book as well as the yearly football annuals & matchday programmes to put together the info.

I guess what i have so far is a database that can be edited in terms of numbers easily to provide the details

is there anywhere else you would recommend looking?

You would need the final home programme from every season since we started printing line-ups, which was 1988/89.

You would also probably need annual subscriptions to the English National Football Archive and British Newspaper Archive to allow you to access games played before 1997/98.

Also, you would also need to be aware of discrepancies when we had players with the same surname, such as Edwards in Eyre's/Coleman's days. We had Matty, Ryan and Phil, but Soccerbase has them all mixed up.

To be honest, it's an onerous task that will take hours and hours. Once it's set-up and running, it's straightforward to keep on top of, but it's the stuff back in time that takes the longest to find, check and record.

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 04:27 - May 5 with 5557 viewsChockers1

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 20:44 - May 4 by TVOS1907

You would need the final home programme from every season since we started printing line-ups, which was 1988/89.

You would also probably need annual subscriptions to the English National Football Archive and British Newspaper Archive to allow you to access games played before 1997/98.

Also, you would also need to be aware of discrepancies when we had players with the same surname, such as Edwards in Eyre's/Coleman's days. We had Matty, Ryan and Phil, but Soccerbase has them all mixed up.

To be honest, it's an onerous task that will take hours and hours. Once it's set-up and running, it's straightforward to keep on top of, but it's the stuff back in time that takes the longest to find, check and record.

Thank you mate, big help that information.

I've gone through added the stats from the English National Football Archive in and the differences in 4/5 seasons are massive - so many inaccuracies on the soccerbase site.

Can I take it that the football archive are the correct figures? I can do some double checking with the final programme from each season as a check point. if this is correct it won't take me long to put a full database together as I've built the base and it's data entry from here :)
Rochdale Stats Database on 07:18 - May 5 with 5539 viewsBigDaveMyCock

There’s certain proactive things you can do yourself. Each time a player scores a goal put a tick in the box next to the relevant player. For example:

Henderson: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Wilbraham: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Andrew:
Dooley: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Rochdale Stats Database on 09:41 - May 5 with 5475 viewsChockers1

So I've gone over the last 25 years and some stats look "better" but that doesn't mean they're right.

Take Jonah as an example from the English National Football Archive it has him down as 470 league appearances, in my database i now have him at 470 but the club record is 464 league appearances

Football Archive
Rochdale 449+21 74 26 20+3 0 0 35+3 6 3

Dale Wikipedia
Record League appearances — Gary Jones (464 — as at 15 March 2012)

This must be where i need to reference the data to the last day programme of the season and possibly the rothmans football year book?
Rochdale Stats Database on 11:05 - May 5 with 5422 viewsTVOS1907

Rochdale Stats Database on 09:41 - May 5 by Chockers1

So I've gone over the last 25 years and some stats look "better" but that doesn't mean they're right.

Take Jonah as an example from the English National Football Archive it has him down as 470 league appearances, in my database i now have him at 470 but the club record is 464 league appearances

Football Archive
Rochdale 449+21 74 26 20+3 0 0 35+3 6 3

Dale Wikipedia
Record League appearances — Gary Jones (464 — as at 15 March 2012)

This must be where i need to reference the data to the last day programme of the season and possibly the rothmans football year book?

Back to the original thread...

Not sure where you get that 'the club record is 464 league appearances', as I'm looking at the club record now and it's 470, as confirmed by ENFA.

Also, Wikipedia isn't a dedicated football history site and contains lots of errors, plus anyone can edit it.

His appearances/goals record is:

League 470/74
FA Cup 23/0
League/EFL Cup 16/3
FL/EFL Trophy 17/3
Play-Offs 5/0
TOTAL 531/80

Bear in mind that the last programme of the season won't include the game it's for, as well as any away games that take place afterwards.

Rochdale Stats Database on 11:10 - May 5 with 5419 viewsisitme

Rochdale Stats Database on 07:18 - May 5 by BigDaveMyCock

There’s certain proactive things you can do yourself. Each time a player scores a goal put a tick in the box next to the relevant player. For example:

Henderson: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Wilbraham: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Andrew:
Dooley: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Harsh, but true!

In reality three of those players may have scored their last goal for the club already.
Rochdale Stats Database on 11:22 - May 5 with 5397 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Rochdale Stats Database on 11:10 - May 5 by isitme

Harsh, but true!

In reality three of those players may have scored their last goal for the club already.

......and for one of them it was a long time ago.
Rochdale Stats Database on 11:26 - May 5 with 5391 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Rochdale Stats Database on 11:10 - May 5 by isitme

Harsh, but true!

Presuming that things start again in September, a big presumption, I still think there is an outside chance of Wilbraham being offered a short-term deal.
I’d be astounded if Calvin is offered another deal but have said that at least twice before. However, even if he did sign again I still think he’s probably scored his last goal for the club.
[Post edited 5 May 2020 11:29]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 12:52 - May 5 with 5331 viewsEllGazzell

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 04:35 - May 4 by Chockers1

**Progress Update**

Gary Jones 533
Ian Henderson 341
Wayne Evans 299
Josh Lillis 292
Neil Edwards 278
Joe Rafferty 254
Matt Done 239
Callum Camps 238
Calvin Andrew 231
Gareth Griffiths 206

Goals (League & Cup)

Ian Henderson 126
Gary Jones 79
Chris Dagnall 60
Adam Le Fondre 42
Grant Holt 42
Clive Platt 37
Lee McEvilly 34
Matt Done 32
Peter Vincenti 32
Paul Connor 32

Tails

Eyup Chockers.

If you're using google drive and get other books/printed material to augment your database; I can give you some pointers in using drive's, relatively little known, built-in OCR technology.

We use it quite a bit for scanning non-digitised copies of docs into our workflow and it does a really good job. A big plus is it's all done server-side @ google so you don't have to sit watching a circle spin around on your PC.

You would need to slice the spine off the books ready for scanning to get the best output but once it's digitised, running a Google Apps Script across the folder and pulling the data into a G Sheet ready for manipulation should be straight forward.

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 02:00 - May 10 with 5155 viewsChockers1

Rochdale Stats Database**Help Needed** on 12:52 - May 5 by EllGazzell

Eyup Chockers.

If you're using google drive and get other books/printed material to augment your database; I can give you some pointers in using drive's, relatively little known, built-in OCR technology.

We use it quite a bit for scanning non-digitised copies of docs into our workflow and it does a really good job. A big plus is it's all done server-side @ google so you don't have to sit watching a circle spin around on your PC.

You would need to slice the spine off the books ready for scanning to get the best output but once it's digitised, running a Google Apps Script across the folder and pulling the data into a G Sheet ready for manipulation should be straight forward.

Thank you mate, that would be great!

I will be in touch when they arrive from the UK
Rochdale Stats Database on 02:06 - May 10 with 5152 viewsChockers1

**PROGRESS UPDATE**

Using the English National Football archive I've managed to create a DB using every single player season record back to 1921/22 the first year in the football league. I'm in the home stretch!!!!! . I've managed to use macro's to manipulate the data to the correct format etc...

Hit the slower hard yards which si going through every playoff, football league cup & league cup game to break out data but the end version will show

Name, starts, sub appearances, goals in total plus a breakdown of tier, 4, tier 3, 3rd Div (n), 3rd Div cup, playoffs, fa cup, football league cup (carabao) and league cup

My question is to those in the know how accurate is the football league database?

Once I've finished this i'l put an easy to use front on it and upload to a google drive for people to access if they love a bit of stats like me. This is built in excel with formulas, vlookups against player ids for now i'm happy with the format but once it's done i will start work on an access database version with game by game details in
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024