Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM 10:24 - Nov 8 with 6467 viewstruenorth

If that demonstrated the height of his abmition, then I for one would like a new manager.
TN

Poll: BBM or relegation?

(No subject) on 13:20 - Nov 9 with 1955 viewsBillyRudd

When it comes to "embarrassment" I must have a much lower threshold than BBM and so be it.
I have no problem accepting the result in that for a long time we have been massively punching above our weight in terms of resources and after all I am a Rochdale fan. However IF he genuinely believes that statement which no ruthlessly ambitious and or succesful manager that I can recall would ever make, it gives you an indication of what to expect going forward. Or it was typical of the blather known as spin that we are fed nowadays by all and sundry where everything is sweetness and light and there are no losers in the world. Take your pick on which you think it is, but I know I was a loser in spending a tenner to watch a pedestrian square ball fest punctuated by the occasional long ball.
I also struggle with the idea of fatigue as a mitigating factor. I am not saying it was,nt a contributing factor as all season we have appeared to run out of steam in comparison with our opponents. So the question is why? We are,nt asked to play anymore games than anyone else. Any pre-season legacy issues are invalid by now and our style of play is hardly gut busting end to end stuff "a la David Platt" Often between Bazuna and the half way line you can go and make a brew and not miss anything.
You might not guess but very disillusioned with the game at the moment.
Up the Dale
"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 13:56 - Nov 9 with 1881 viewsTVOS1907

"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 12:08 - Nov 9 by Ancoats_Blue

Tbf they’re at the top end of the National League with a squad that would probably do quite well in league 2. They’re hardly the dog and duck Sunday league side. Some more shocking results than ours this weekend. Chorley beating Wigan for and Darlington beating Swindon for example.

I thought our draw and performance away at Wrexham last season was more deserving of being called embarrassing given their form at the time. Saturday, not so, a strong team in good form who I’d imagine we’ll see in a league again in the not too distant future.

Was it something like 10 players they signed in the summer?

Rooney signed a three year deal, choosing to turn down an EFL career with Barrow to remain in the National League. Of course, Stockport is more convenient for what I presume is his Liverpool home, but I doubt he penned that deal because he wanted to remain in the NL.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

(No subject) on 16:10 - Nov 9 with 1737 viewsAtThePeake

(No subject) on 13:20 - Nov 9 by BillyRudd

When it comes to "embarrassment" I must have a much lower threshold than BBM and so be it.
I have no problem accepting the result in that for a long time we have been massively punching above our weight in terms of resources and after all I am a Rochdale fan. However IF he genuinely believes that statement which no ruthlessly ambitious and or succesful manager that I can recall would ever make, it gives you an indication of what to expect going forward. Or it was typical of the blather known as spin that we are fed nowadays by all and sundry where everything is sweetness and light and there are no losers in the world. Take your pick on which you think it is, but I know I was a loser in spending a tenner to watch a pedestrian square ball fest punctuated by the occasional long ball.
I also struggle with the idea of fatigue as a mitigating factor. I am not saying it was,nt a contributing factor as all season we have appeared to run out of steam in comparison with our opponents. So the question is why? We are,nt asked to play anymore games than anyone else. Any pre-season legacy issues are invalid by now and our style of play is hardly gut busting end to end stuff "a la David Platt" Often between Bazuna and the half way line you can go and make a brew and not miss anything.
You might not guess but very disillusioned with the game at the moment.
Up the Dale

I really suggest that anyone who thinks BBM thinks this way should listen to the latest podcast episode

Tangled up in blue.

(No subject) on 17:34 - Nov 9 with 1672 viewsBillyRudd

(No subject) on 16:10 - Nov 9 by AtThePeake

I really suggest that anyone who thinks BBM thinks this way should listen to the latest podcast episode

Got me all confused AtThePeake (easily done). When you say "thinks this way" which of the two possibilities I suggested are you referring to? If neither fits your analysis then fair enough.
Up the Dale
(No subject) on 18:13 - Nov 9 with 1619 viewsAtThePeake

(No subject) on 17:34 - Nov 9 by BillyRudd

Got me all confused AtThePeake (easily done). When you say "thinks this way" which of the two possibilities I suggested are you referring to? If neither fits your analysis then fair enough.
Up the Dale

Neither to be honest BR. Just to pick one quote from the podcast:

"We sat in the dressing room on Tuesday night against Oxford and we played well and we knew we did and the only thing that was wrong with us is that the lads are desperately competitive and have got ambitions to punch weigh above their weight. And you can say to the press all the party lines about 'we have to remember where we are, we know we haven't got the finance of any other club in League One but within the dressing room, the lads don't wanna buy that, they want to be ambitious. I don't even think it's a bad thing for you guys to be p***ed off with Tuesday night to think, we've been on this great run but we got beat because if we just want to accept not being ambitious then we'll just be conforming to what all the predictions were anyway, so what's the point?"

To me, that's a long way from the analysis of BBM we've seen on this thread and others following Saturday's result. I think what he is trying to prevent with his post-match comments is the dressing room and the fanbase over-reacting and spiralling into negativity over a bad result, particularly when we might have to wait two weeks or more to correct it. I know I'm biased as one of the people who are on the podcast but I think if you listen to the episode then the above will be put into some context too.

Tangled up in blue.

(No subject) on 18:29 - Nov 9 with 1595 viewsD_Alien

(No subject) on 18:13 - Nov 9 by AtThePeake

Neither to be honest BR. Just to pick one quote from the podcast:

"We sat in the dressing room on Tuesday night against Oxford and we played well and we knew we did and the only thing that was wrong with us is that the lads are desperately competitive and have got ambitions to punch weigh above their weight. And you can say to the press all the party lines about 'we have to remember where we are, we know we haven't got the finance of any other club in League One but within the dressing room, the lads don't wanna buy that, they want to be ambitious. I don't even think it's a bad thing for you guys to be p***ed off with Tuesday night to think, we've been on this great run but we got beat because if we just want to accept not being ambitious then we'll just be conforming to what all the predictions were anyway, so what's the point?"

To me, that's a long way from the analysis of BBM we've seen on this thread and others following Saturday's result. I think what he is trying to prevent with his post-match comments is the dressing room and the fanbase over-reacting and spiralling into negativity over a bad result, particularly when we might have to wait two weeks or more to correct it. I know I'm biased as one of the people who are on the podcast but I think if you listen to the episode then the above will be put into some context too.

I think the point that i and others seem to be making is that it's doubly disappointing to listen to his words, then sit through the start we made on Saturday

It's not just about losing, it's about the timidity of performance from the outset when we were simply overrun by a more determined outfit. It needs to stop, and we need to be starting games at least competitively

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

(No subject) on 18:54 - Nov 9 with 1565 viewsAtThePeake

(No subject) on 18:29 - Nov 9 by D_Alien

I think the point that i and others seem to be making is that it's doubly disappointing to listen to his words, then sit through the start we made on Saturday

It's not just about losing, it's about the timidity of performance from the outset when we were simply overrun by a more determined outfit. It needs to stop, and we need to be starting games at least competitively

Fair enough. Maybe I'm being too philosophical but as disappointed as I am with the result and the performance, I think the reaction to it in some people calling for the manager's head has been slightly over the top. Particularly when on the whole I think the performances and results have improved so far this term and I still think on the whole we are moving in the right direction.

Tangled up in blue.

(No subject) on 19:15 - Nov 9 with 1526 viewsD_Alien

(No subject) on 18:54 - Nov 9 by AtThePeake

Fair enough. Maybe I'm being too philosophical but as disappointed as I am with the result and the performance, I think the reaction to it in some people calling for the manager's head has been slightly over the top. Particularly when on the whole I think the performances and results have improved so far this term and I still think on the whole we are moving in the right direction.

I'd agree with that. I don't follow other social media but if there's been calls for his head that's just ridiculous given our overall position, and potential

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) on 19:33 - Nov 9 with 1477 viewsrochdaleriddler

(No subject) on 19:15 - Nov 9 by D_Alien

I'd agree with that. I don't follow other social media but if there's been calls for his head that's just ridiculous given our overall position, and potential

Every win is over glamourised, and every defeat triggers overwhelming despair on some sites. I think a lot of people must suffer from bi- polar disorder

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

(No subject) on 20:31 - Nov 9 with 1410 viewsBillyRudd

(No subject) on 18:54 - Nov 9 by AtThePeake

Ha ha . As a Dale fan I doubt its possible "to be too philosophical" AtthePeake.
I think we are all agreed that disappointment is the overriding emotion from Saturday
Perhaps I am on the wrong thread and have chosen the wrong time but most everything is forgiven when we are winning. I just struggle nowadays with what I see as an insipid pedestrian style of play and I don,t single Rochdale or BBM out in this. Hand on heart other than our sublime recent cup exploits against Premier teams and Leeds when have we had what I would call a thriller in terms of match excitement. For sure Charlton was pure emotion but that was due to the circumstances and Accy away last season was full of cut and thrust but I have come to expect the type of displays we got on Saturday.
Yes I know that nowadays its all science this and diet that and buzz words and video analysis but to what end if the simple things like matching the oppositions work rate from the kick off are not achieved. On the other hand no one can legislate for Rooneys effort and fair play to them I hope they win another and get a plum draw.
I look at most games nowadays and find my mind wandering to the question of how would this team play if all the theories were removed and they were allowed to get on with it. I,m not saying the result would be different and we would probably see a lot more mistakes but on the other hand probably more passion and excitement.
As an example, take a player that gets regular stick on here. When Dooley first appeared on the scene he was a player that was willing to take on players, go on runs and commit defenders. Nowadays nine times out of ten its a simple pass of a few yards. Unless hes become bone idle it can only be because he has had his natural way of play curtailed.
One last observation and then I will get back in the old farts dinosaur drawer. If we do carry on with this style of play, then the next time we have to break a packed defence down we will have to move the ball around at a considerably faster pace than Saturday or the outcome will be the same.
Up the Dale.
(No subject) on 21:21 - Nov 9 with 1346 viewsAtThePeake

(No subject) on 20:31 - Nov 9 by BillyRudd

Ha ha . As a Dale fan I doubt its possible "to be too philosophical" AtthePeake.
I think we are all agreed that disappointment is the overriding emotion from Saturday
Perhaps I am on the wrong thread and have chosen the wrong time but most everything is forgiven when we are winning. I just struggle nowadays with what I see as an insipid pedestrian style of play and I don,t single Rochdale or BBM out in this. Hand on heart other than our sublime recent cup exploits against Premier teams and Leeds when have we had what I would call a thriller in terms of match excitement. For sure Charlton was pure emotion but that was due to the circumstances and Accy away last season was full of cut and thrust but I have come to expect the type of displays we got on Saturday.
Yes I know that nowadays its all science this and diet that and buzz words and video analysis but to what end if the simple things like matching the oppositions work rate from the kick off are not achieved. On the other hand no one can legislate for Rooneys effort and fair play to them I hope they win another and get a plum draw.
I look at most games nowadays and find my mind wandering to the question of how would this team play if all the theories were removed and they were allowed to get on with it. I,m not saying the result would be different and we would probably see a lot more mistakes but on the other hand probably more passion and excitement.
As an example, take a player that gets regular stick on here. When Dooley first appeared on the scene he was a player that was willing to take on players, go on runs and commit defenders. Nowadays nine times out of ten its a simple pass of a few yards. Unless hes become bone idle it can only be because he has had his natural way of play curtailed.
One last observation and then I will get back in the old farts dinosaur drawer. If we do carry on with this style of play, then the next time we have to break a packed defence down we will have to move the ball around at a considerably faster pace than Saturday or the outcome will be the same.
Up the Dale.

I only realised when reading back there quite how pretentious that 'philosophical' comment sounded!

You make some really good points there, particularly regarding Dooley and having to move the ball around quicker next time we have to break down a defence - hopefully Humphrys and Baah can help with this when they're back.

I think this season, speaking of Dale specifically, our play has been less insipid and Saturday was a regression to last season in some ways - although hopefully more of an anomaly than it would have been last season and some credit has to go to Stockport's resilient defending for that.

Tangled up in blue.

"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 21:50 - Nov 9 with 1306 viewsdawlishdale

I was quite disappointed with our performance on Saturday, but having just watched Oxford City totally outplay Northampton, I reckon we look very good compared to the cobblers, who have just put in as bad a performance as I can recall watching in a long time.

My goodness; Northampton were shocking. Totally shocking; which probably means they'll turn us over in our forthcoming game against them.
"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 22:02 - Nov 9 with 1285 viewsTVOS1907

"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 21:50 - Nov 9 by dawlishdale

I was quite disappointed with our performance on Saturday, but having just watched Oxford City totally outplay Northampton, I reckon we look very good compared to the cobblers, who have just put in as bad a performance as I can recall watching in a long time.

My goodness; Northampton were shocking. Totally shocking; which probably means they'll turn us over in our forthcoming game against them.

Cobblers!

"There’s no embarrassment in losing to a club or a team like Stockport" BBM on 22:23 - Nov 9 with 1266 viewsFrog

A defeat by the bottom of the league followed by one by a non league team. Not a great few days.
(No subject) on 04:41 - Nov 10 with 1193 viewsrichfoad32

Isn't the OP of this thread more or less calling for his head?
(No subject) on 08:19 - Nov 10 with 1109 viewsD_Alien

(No subject) on 04:41 - Nov 10 by richfoad32

Isn't the OP of this thread more or less calling for his head?

Fair point, but i can't take seriously anyone who feels the need to finish each post with the initials of his moniker

(No subject) on 08:51 - Nov 10 with 1078 viewsTVOS1907

(No subject) on 08:19 - Nov 10 by D_Alien

Fair point, but i can't take seriously anyone who feels the need to finish each post with the initials of his moniker

And who doesn’t come back to add further to a controversial opening post.

Hmm....

(No subject) on 12:28 - Nov 10 with 944 viewsBillyRudd

(No subject) on 21:21 - Nov 9 by AtThePeake

I only realised when reading back there quite how pretentious that 'philosophical' comment sounded!

You make some really good points there, particularly regarding Dooley and having to move the ball around quicker next time we have to break down a defence - hopefully Humphrys and Baah can help with this when they're back.

I think this season, speaking of Dale specifically, our play has been less insipid and Saturday was a regression to last season in some ways - although hopefully more of an anomaly than it would have been last season and some credit has to go to Stockport's resilient defending for that.

Just to be clear AtThePeake, I wasn,t taking your "philosophical" comment as pretentious. Far from it. Philosophical is a good place to be when your a Dale fan. Kiplings poem "IF" springs to mind. I recommend it to any Dale fan who finds his mood on a Saturday night affected by a football result. Or in my case our "patient play".
Having reflected on the result, I suppose it is a positive, reflecting how far we have come as a club that the result has generated the comment it has. I still struggle with BBM,s comments though in the context of a 2 division gap regardless of Stockports new found status.An announcement that he was bringing them in on a Sunday to practise their crossing would have been better PR, whatever he was saying to the players in private.
Up the Dale
(No subject) on 20:05 - Nov 10 with 736 viewstruenorth

Hmmm... fraid I disagree. Naive or not, if that sums up the approach BBM has, it's hardly encouraging for the team, the staff, the management or dare I say it, the fans.

For me, it's not a case of lauding or sacking depending upon the result, it's about the ambition he has for the club.

We all donlt expect overly ambitious promises of silverware, but I would hope we see a manager feel like we all do when losing to a club from the national league. Gutted, angry, frustrated, embarassed.

But no, BBM's not embarrassed...

Poll: BBM or relegation?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024