Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kit Launch Thread 08:39 - Apr 2 with 6249 viewsboromat

Can't see another thread for this so here it is.

We wait in hope that we won't be disappointed. 😂

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Kit Launch Thread on 08:58 - Apr 2 with 3291 viewsblackdogblue

All White as we surrender our League 1 position

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Kit Launch Thread on 09:02 - Apr 2 with 3283 viewsShun

Home kit is extremely dull. The pink one’s quite nice and the other is ok.
Kit Launch Thread on 09:04 - Apr 2 with 3269 viewsblackdogblue

Kit Launch Thread on 09:02 - Apr 2 by Shun

Agree on the home one, black & white has a strange badge I can’t zoom in on my phone & the red one is ok though

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Kit Launch Thread on 09:06 - Apr 2 with 3256 views442Dale

Home is different interpretation on the stripes at last. Possibly could have done with a bit of black trim on the collar and cuffs too but interesting to see the focus on a different combination of shorts and socks.

The red isn’t bad at all. The shade is a bit unique.

Black and white is excellent and will sell loads.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Kit Launch Thread on 09:11 - Apr 2 with 3225 viewsleedsdale

The home kit is very similar to Brighton’s kit this season - we’re obviously taking our role as their feeder club very seriously
Kit Launch Thread on 09:14 - Apr 2 with 3211 views442Dale

Kit Launch Thread on 09:11 - Apr 2 by leedsdale

The home kit is very similar to Brighton’s kit this season - we’re obviously taking our role as their feeder club very seriously

Brighton’s has white pinstripes which aren’t on the sleeves and have a proper collar.

Kit Launch Thread on 09:21 - Apr 2 with 3174 viewsleedsdale

Kit Launch Thread on 09:14 - Apr 2 by 442Dale

Brighton’s has white pinstripes which aren’t on the sleeves and have a proper collar.

Which is why I said similar, not identical.

I quite like the home shirt, but would be very tempted by the centenary one
Kit Launch Thread on 09:31 - Apr 2 with 3149 viewsShun

No coincidence that when we have no fan involvement at all on the kits we get the worst home kit in years.
Login to get fewer ads

Kit Launch Thread on 09:37 - Apr 2 with 3120 views442Dale

Kit Launch Thread on 09:31 - Apr 2 by Shun

No coincidence that when we have no fan involvement at all on the kits we get the worst home kit in years.

It’s fine. Two years ago was far too much like the year before and 17/18 was a basic template shirt. Sometimes it’s looking at changing things up a bit with the blue, black and white because there’s nothing saying it has to be stripes - the excellent fan designed 16/17 kit being the best example. This new one would have been better with a different collar design, sometimes those are things that can make all the difference.

Kit Launch Thread on 09:46 - Apr 2 with 3070 viewsSaxonDale

The home kit is ok, the 3rd choice is nice but I don’t think I’ll ever like us playing in red.
Kit Launch Thread on 09:51 - Apr 2 with 3039 viewsCedar_Room

Thought that last season all 3 kits were really smart but this feels like a big step backwards. The black and white third kit is decent but not a fan of the pinstripes at all. Don’t like red and would never have it anywhere in any Rochdale kit. For me any away kit needs to be recognisably a variation on the clubs home colours - perhaps you can just throw a random colour in as the 3rd kit choice but this way round really doesn’t work. And it’s just a really weird looking bit of stripes here and there design anyway so it’s not even like the design of the red kit looks decent. Not for me at all.
Kit Launch Thread on 10:14 - Apr 2 with 2974 viewsShun

Kit Launch Thread on 09:37 - Apr 2 by 442Dale

It’s fine. Two years ago was far too much like the year before and 17/18 was a basic template shirt. Sometimes it’s looking at changing things up a bit with the blue, black and white because there’s nothing saying it has to be stripes - the excellent fan designed 16/17 kit being the best example. This new one would have been better with a different collar design, sometimes those are things that can make all the difference.

While acknowledging that we don’t need to have simple blue and black stripes every year, we’ve become established as the only English club that have blue, black and white as our colours. This kit seems to have a negligible amount of black thrown in as an afterthought. Like someone else, I’ve never been a fan of pinstripes, but surely black could have been used more appropriately than this?

There really is no excuse for not having fan consultation when they expect the fans to purchase them.
Kit Launch Thread on 10:15 - Apr 2 with 2973 views442Dale

What it does illustrate is that there will always be a wide variety of opinions which is why there should be options to vote on for fans to provide a general consensus. There was no reason this couldn’t happen this year as well, especially with everyone finding different ways of doing things online etc.

Note: this year’s mint kit is rubbish and the home kit is far too dark. But again, just an opinion.

Kit Launch Thread on 10:18 - Apr 2 with 2957 views442Dale

Kit Launch Thread on 10:14 - Apr 2 by Shun

While acknowledging that we don’t need to have simple blue and black stripes every year, we’ve become established as the only English club that have blue, black and white as our colours. This kit seems to have a negligible amount of black thrown in as an afterthought. Like someone else, I’ve never been a fan of pinstripes, but surely black could have been used more appropriately than this?

There really is no excuse for not having fan consultation when they expect the fans to purchase them.

Agree on the last point - see previous post.

And also sort of agree on the black on the home kit, really do maintain that a lot of the comments about it could have been swayed into a positive arena by getting the detailing on the collar and sleeves right with black trim. Again, fans could point this out in a consultation process. It’s the subliminal things.

With that, note that the shorts have blue trim, yet no black. Then it’s mentioned that the socks will have both colours. Details make the difference.

Kit Launch Thread on 10:21 - Apr 2 with 2942 views442Dale

Oh and it would be really good if we offered some really left-field choices one year.

Blue and black halves
Blue and black hoops
Blue and black diagonal stripes.

With white trim used effectively.

Kit Launch Thread on 10:25 - Apr 2 with 2931 viewsboromat

Quite happy with those. Home kit I haven't liked any of the previous pinstripe kits but this is a good effort and quite like the use of white for the trim. Think I'll prefer it with either black socks or shorts.

Red kit I don't like looks like it's straight out of the catalogue with less thought but I'm sure it'll sell in numbers to the kids.

White and black anniversary is brilliant. I wasn't sure at first but on the close up looks really good like what they've done with the crest and the errea logo. I think red was the only choice for the sponsor though.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Kit Launch Thread on 10:26 - Apr 2 with 2919 viewsTVOS1907

Kit Launch Thread on 09:04 - Apr 2 by blackdogblue

Agree on the home one, black & white has a strange badge I can’t zoom in on my phone & the red one is ok though

The black & white one is to reflect the fact it will be 100 years since we joined the Football League. There were no badges on kits then, so this is a way to have a crest and the Errea logo, but in a way so they don't stand out.

This story explains more: https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2021/april/kitlaunch_anniversarykit/

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Kit Launch Thread on 10:28 - Apr 2 with 2915 viewsTVOS1907

Which pink one - the goalkeeper's kit?

Kit Launch Thread on 10:29 - Apr 2 with 2912 viewsTVOS1907

Kit Launch Thread on 10:18 - Apr 2 by 442Dale

Agree on the last point - see previous post.

And also sort of agree on the black on the home kit, really do maintain that a lot of the comments about it could have been swayed into a positive arena by getting the detailing on the collar and sleeves right with black trim. Again, fans could point this out in a consultation process. It’s the subliminal things.

With that, note that the shorts have blue trim, yet no black. Then it’s mentioned that the socks will have both colours. Details make the difference.

One idea is to have a blue stripe on one side of the shorts and black on the other. Maybe it will happen in the future...

Kit Launch Thread on 11:28 - Apr 2 with 2770 viewsShun

Kit Launch Thread on 10:28 - Apr 2 by TVOS1907

Which pink one - the goalkeeper's kit?

Pinky red!
Kit Launch Thread on 12:04 - Apr 2 with 2689 viewsmattydinho

The home kit is alright but can't help thinking it looks like something a kid would make on photoshop, at least its not the exact same design for 3 years straight

Poll: BBM

Kit Launch Thread on 12:24 - Apr 2 with 2643 viewsCedar_Room

I think the pinstripe thing can work for teams who have a very strong identity/history of block stripes to turn it around a bit and make it fresh but I don’t think we have that. Consider that since we started with blue/black stripes we’ve have 6 seasons without them already (2 with pinstripes, 3 with no stripes at all just plain blue, one with just a single black/white stripe) it just doesn’t seem the blue/black is embedded enough as ‘our’ colours for us to piss around with them. There are so many things you can do with block stripes as we’ve seen with other clubs I just think there’s much more mileage in trying a bit harder to do something fun before we go with the pinstripe idea again.
Kit Launch Thread on 12:38 - Apr 2 with 2608 viewsTVOS1907

Kit Launch Thread on 12:24 - Apr 2 by Cedar_Room

I think the pinstripe thing can work for teams who have a very strong identity/history of block stripes to turn it around a bit and make it fresh but I don’t think we have that. Consider that since we started with blue/black stripes we’ve have 6 seasons without them already (2 with pinstripes, 3 with no stripes at all just plain blue, one with just a single black/white stripe) it just doesn’t seem the blue/black is embedded enough as ‘our’ colours for us to piss around with them. There are so many things you can do with block stripes as we’ve seen with other clubs I just think there’s much more mileage in trying a bit harder to do something fun before we go with the pinstripe idea again.

But there's never been any edict that our shirts are blue and black stripes.

Since 2008, it's been "our colours will be blue, black and white", which this kit is.

As 442 has posted there's loads you can do when you're not limited to stripes. This is the offering for next season; there are loads of subsequent seasons to try other things.

And to be honest, I don't think there is a lot you can do with block stripes, which is why clubs like Brighton, Sunderland, Stoke, etc, have sometimes deviated from them.

As with all kits, though, it will always be subjective and personal taste. Someone might have even liked the 2015/16 kit we had...
[Post edited 2 Apr 2021 12:42]

Kit Launch Thread on 12:41 - Apr 2 with 2597 viewsTVOS1907

Kit Launch Thread on 11:28 - Apr 2 by Shun

Pinky red!

Didn't he used to moderate this site?

Kit Launch Thread on 12:44 - Apr 2 with 2590 views442Dale

Kit Launch Thread on 12:24 - Apr 2 by Cedar_Room

There needs to be the variation away from stripes now and again or you end up with shirts that appear too similar - although I prefer stripes it’s the colours that are important and apart from 15/16 (when the players apparently chose it!!!) we’ve had black as part of our kit since 2008 now so blue/black/white are most definitely Rochdale’s unique colours.

The important thing is how you use the colours, see how Man U use black as their third colour for example. That’s why variations such as hoops or diagonal stripes etc could be an option.

Would also argue that teams who do traditionally wear stripes should never move away from them as it never looks right. Brighton got away with it this year as they wore similar in the early 80s but when sides such as Notts, Stoke and Southampton have gone to pinstripes it’s looked so wrong.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024