Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? 17:10 - Aug 23 with 6115 viewsCedar_Room

Given that this Friday's game marks 100 years in the football league, it got me thinking about how unique this feat actually was. So a question to stimulate the brain cells - out of the current 92 football league clubs - how many have also been continuously in the football league for the past 100 years?
The answer I got was actually a fair bit lower than I expected.
who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 17:19 - Aug 23 with 4622 viewsEllDale

Do you count the ones who have dipped in and out of the Premier League over the years?
Clubs like Blackpool, Hull, Reading, Cardiff, Oldham?
who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 17:30 - Aug 23 with 4584 viewsCedar_Room

I'm counting all 92 clubs currently in the Prem, Championship, Leagues 1 and 2. So I'm counting being in the Prem as still being in the football league. So its a question of how many of the current 92 have at some point been non-league and/or entered the football league after we did
who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 17:35 - Aug 23 with 4563 viewsTVOS1907

You can probably work it out from here by ignoring anyone formed after 1921, while also eliminating the other clubs that don't fit your criteria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_clubs_in_England_and_Wales_by_yea

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 17:40 - Aug 23 with 4546 viewsCedar_Room

ah but this doesn't account for the teams who were formed before 1921 but didn't join the league until after 1921.
Believe me I searched around for an answer to this question and couldn't find it listed anywhere.
You also have to know which current football league clubs have at one point or another been relegated to the conference, and which started in non league and only joined after 1921.
There were a lot more than I thought.
who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 17:58 - Aug 23 with 4482 viewsTVOS1907

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 17:40 - Aug 23 by Cedar_Room

ah but this doesn't account for the teams who were formed before 1921 but didn't join the league until after 1921.
Believe me I searched around for an answer to this question and couldn't find it listed anywhere.
You also have to know which current football league clubs have at one point or another been relegated to the conference, and which started in non league and only joined after 1921.
There were a lot more than I thought.

Any teams who joined the league after 1921 haven't yet been in it for 100 years.

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 18:21 - Aug 23 with 4410 viewsCedar_Room

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 17:58 - Aug 23 by TVOS1907

Any teams who joined the league after 1921 haven't yet been in it for 100 years.

That's why you're the stat man!
The link you provided listed the year a club was formed - that isn't the same as the year they first played in the football league. For example it lists Macclesfield Town as forming in 1876. They didn't play in the football league until 1997 (current status: none existence).
who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 18:31 - Aug 23 with 4364 viewsTVOS1907

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 18:21 - Aug 23 by Cedar_Room

That's why you're the stat man!
The link you provided listed the year a club was formed - that isn't the same as the year they first played in the football league. For example it lists Macclesfield Town as forming in 1876. They didn't play in the football league until 1997 (current status: none existence).

Correct, which is why I said you could work it out from that link by eliminating clubs that don't fit the criteria, ther than that link being the definitive answer.

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 18:36 - Aug 23 with 4336 viewsCedar_Room

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 18:31 - Aug 23 by TVOS1907

Correct, which is why I said you could work it out from that link by eliminating clubs that don't fit the criteria, ther than that link being the definitive answer.

I've already worked it out, was just supposed to be a bit of fun to see if anyone else could.
That link helps with years formed but not with league placings over 100 years. I found that part much more difficult to track down.
Login to get fewer ads

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 18:37 - Aug 23 with 4335 views442Dale

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 18:31 - Aug 23 by TVOS1907

Started clicking on each team - can then check year elected to league on their own Wikipedia page - easy enough, but stopped as wanted a brew.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 18:37 - Aug 23 with 4336 viewsJames1980

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_English_Football_League_clubs I see a club on this table that had nearly 125 years in the football league. They also happen to be one of only two clubs on this table that have expelled next to their name.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 19:27 - Aug 23 with 4204 viewsjonahwhereru

I’ll enter the spirit of it. Just going off memory I can name 20 teams that either come / come back into the league in my lifetime. There are probably others that don’t qualify on the 1921 criteria but my top of the head offer is 72.
Some examples of not meeting the criteria: Cambridge, Wycombe, the Dons x 2,Lincoln, Carlisle

Cedar Room, at some stage give us your answer when the thread has run it’s course.
who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 19:33 - Aug 23 with 4168 viewspioneer

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 17:30 - Aug 23 by Cedar_Room

I'm counting all 92 clubs currently in the Prem, Championship, Leagues 1 and 2. So I'm counting being in the Prem as still being in the football league. So its a question of how many of the current 92 have at some point been non-league and/or entered the football league after we did

looking at the league tables for 1921-22 i make it 56 on a quick look.
who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 19:36 - Aug 23 with 4160 viewsYadHoDale

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 19:27 - Aug 23 by jonahwhereru

I’ll enter the spirit of it. Just going off memory I can name 20 teams that either come / come back into the league in my lifetime. There are probably others that don’t qualify on the 1921 criteria but my top of the head offer is 72.
Some examples of not meeting the criteria: Cambridge, Wycombe, the Dons x 2,Lincoln, Carlisle

Cedar Room, at some stage give us your answer when the thread has run it’s course.

I'll guess 56 of the current 92 (including Port Vale who were expelled and readmitted one summer for being naughty).
who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 19:37 - Aug 23 with 4153 viewsTVOS1907

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 18:36 - Aug 23 by Cedar_Room

I've already worked it out, was just supposed to be a bit of fun to see if anyone else could.
That link helps with years formed but not with league placings over 100 years. I found that part much more difficult to track down.

It was an excellent question. I only posted the link to show it might be more logical than you think to work out which teams are on the list.

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 20:24 - Aug 23 with 4078 viewsfermin

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 19:37 - Aug 23 by TVOS1907

It was an excellent question. I only posted the link to show it might be more logical than you think to work out which teams are on the list.

If you exclude clubs who have ever been in the Premier League I reckon it reduces to 10.
who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 21:21 - Aug 23 with 3950 viewspioneer

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 20:24 - Aug 23 by fermin

If you exclude clubs who have ever been in the Premier League I reckon it reduces to 10.

and if you exclude clubs who have ever been in the second tier that leaves…..
who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 21:23 - Aug 23 with 3943 viewsCedar_Room

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 20:24 - Aug 23 by fermin

by my calculations if you exclude all the teams who have played in the Prem then you are left with 13 (including Rochdale). That would be another interesting question to see who can name them all....
who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 21:30 - Aug 23 with 3915 viewspioneer

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 21:21 - Aug 23 by pioneer

and if you exclude clubs who have ever been in the second tier that leaves…..

No takers yet?

Well we are in a group of…..1
who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 21:33 - Aug 23 with 3906 viewspioneer

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 19:33 - Aug 23 by pioneer

looking at the league tables for 1921-22 i make it 56 on a quick look.

Correction 55…i think.
who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 22:51 - Aug 23 with 3784 viewsfermin

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 21:23 - Aug 23 by Cedar_Room

by my calculations if you exclude all the teams who have played in the Prem then you are left with 13 (including Rochdale). That would be another interesting question to see who can name them all....

My 10 are Preston, Rotherham, Port Vale, Bristol City, Crewe, Walsall, Rochdale, Plymouth, Northampton and Gillingham.

What are the other 3?
who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 23:07 - Aug 23 with 3758 viewsTVOS1907

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 22:51 - Aug 23 by fermin

My 10 are Preston, Rotherham, Port Vale, Bristol City, Crewe, Walsall, Rochdale, Plymouth, Northampton and Gillingham.

What are the other 3?

bury

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 23:36 - Aug 23 with 3727 viewsYadHoDale

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 22:51 - Aug 23 by fermin

What are the other 3?

Exeter and Millwall have been in the league 100 years. Exeter, like Dale, are proud lower division lurkers, whilst I think Millwall's latest spell in the top flight was just before the Premiership. Rotherham only have 96 years as they were founded by merger of Rotherham County and Thornhill Utd in about 1925,whilst Gillingham were out of the league from 1938-1950.
who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 00:45 - Aug 24 with 3666 viewsKnowlesy

Exeter were in the conference for a period of time relatively recently. Pretty sure they won't have 100 years consecutively.
who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 07:32 - Aug 24 with 3547 viewsYadHoDale

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 00:45 - Aug 24 by Knowlesy

Exeter were in the conference for a period of time relatively recently. Pretty sure they won't have 100 years consecutively.

Forgot about that, yet remembered Luton/Cambridge/Brovers all had a year or two out. Senility beckons...
who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 08:22 - Aug 24 with 3514 viewstony_roch975

who else has 100 continuous years in the football league? on 23:36 - Aug 23 by YadHoDale

Exeter and Millwall have been in the league 100 years. Exeter, like Dale, are proud lower division lurkers, whilst I think Millwall's latest spell in the top flight was just before the Premiership. Rotherham only have 96 years as they were founded by merger of Rotherham County and Thornhill Utd in about 1925,whilst Gillingham were out of the league from 1938-1950.

Exeter had 5 years in the Conference

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024