Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Ashes 22:43 - Dec 7 with 17464 viewsstowmarketrange

The Ashes start in less than 90 mins,and I wondered what people thought of our chances this time?
It will be strange not to be able to have the barmy army in force out there this winter.Although I can’t see us winning the urn back,I think it will be closer than 4 years ago.Just a shame that I can’t be over there for a month like I was 4 years ago.
I think it might’ve been closer then if we’d taken Stokes along,but that’s history now.I hope we put up more of a fight this time around.
Come on the poms.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2021 8:32]
The Ashes on 12:27 - Dec 16 with 1893 viewsted_hendrix

When all Is said and done we're still not very good, dropped catches-batting collapses-praying to the weather gods, nah never mind all that talk and waffle we're just not very good.
Sometimes you have to face up to It.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

The Ashes on 13:04 - Dec 16 with 1827 viewsdaveB

This has 5-0 written all over it
The Ashes on 13:04 - Dec 16 with 1827 viewsRangersw12

We bowled quite well but once again we were a fraction too short hence the play and misses. Although I love them both, Broad and Anderson have previous for this aswell and wasted the new ball under lights

Aussies to make 600 and us to be 20/3 against a 2nd string bowling attack

I'm hoping another 5 nil drubbing will make the ECB prioritise red ball cricket
The Ashes on 13:16 - Dec 16 with 1807 viewsTheChef

The Ashes on 13:04 - Dec 16 by Rangersw12

We bowled quite well but once again we were a fraction too short hence the play and misses. Although I love them both, Broad and Anderson have previous for this aswell and wasted the new ball under lights

Aussies to make 600 and us to be 20/3 against a 2nd string bowling attack

I'm hoping another 5 nil drubbing will make the ECB prioritise red ball cricket

That's just it - you can blame Silverwood and Root and replace them if you really think it will make a difference; but the ECB has essentially thrown red ball cricket in the ditch.

I had very low expectations for this series, but sadly we're not even being competitive.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The Ashes on 13:19 - Dec 16 with 1806 viewsTGRRRSSS

Potentially a very bleak day for England ahead tomorrow under a belting sum at least for first 2 sessions.

Red Ball cricket is an issue here, but also I think too much crammed into whats ultimately a very short season in terms of summer etc.

Not sure red ball cricket will get priority regardless.

In terms of Broad an Anderson England have relied alot on them the past few years tbh, Anderson is now pushing 40 and Broad has big injuiry history, has enough been done to develop others, or do they come and go too quickly to allow experience to develop properly?
The Ashes on 17:21 - Dec 16 with 1654 viewsqprd

The Ashes on 10:26 - Dec 16 by loftus77

Is there an unwritten rule that says a bowler can't be captain (any since Bob Willis?)?

I've said for years that I would have given the skipper role to the experienced Broad or Anderson in a heartbeat and let our one and only proper Test batsman (Root) concentrate exclusively on his batting (where the English Test problem exclusively lies). Same, going back, for Cook, Vaughan and Atherton.

kapil dev + imran khan were both good test captains, as bowling all rounders
The Ashes on 17:22 - Dec 16 with 1657 viewsdanehoop

I think on the bowlers we do have some very good options outside of Broad and Anderson (but definitely not like for like replacements). Woakes, Wood and Archer who have done quite and Robbins looks a very useful addition - not so much beyond that. Don't count Stokes in that league as he is clearly very short of match practice and not in great nick (understandably in the circumstances). One other key factor for me is that many of the players out there have little recent experience of the Kookaburra ball or Aussie conditions. There has been little in the way of Lions/England A tours in Australia for the past couple of years and no players joining Aussie Grade Cricket recently, mainly because of the 'Rona.

So we have an underprepared team, missing key players through injury and playing in unfamiliar conditions. Not sure it necessarily dictates 5-0 (I actually thought we bowled quite well today) but cant see us getting a result from the series that is anything other than disappointing and probably be a sad end to likely retirement of either/both Broad and Anderson.

Never knowingly understood

The Ashes on 09:58 - Dec 17 with 1474 viewsflitwickhoop

This next hour is going to be frightening. I'll genuinely be amazed if they don't get all ten wickets. This is the cricket equivalent of watching those pathetic world cup qualifiers that England have to play in September and October.
Login to get fewer ads

The Ashes on 10:35 - Dec 17 with 1444 viewsCamberleyR

FFS, 12-2 already.

It's going to be one of three options:

Innings defeat
10 wicket defeat
9 wicket defeat

Can't see anything past those at the minute. Embarrassing.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

The Ashes on 10:44 - Dec 17 with 1422 viewsqprd

The Ashes on 10:35 - Dec 17 by CamberleyR

FFS, 12-2 already.

It's going to be one of three options:

Innings defeat
10 wicket defeat
9 wicket defeat

Can't see anything past those at the minute. Embarrassing.

england is batting second, so a runs defeat is actually most likely

even if aus bowl out england for less than 270, its very unlikely they enforce the follow on... most teams dont actually enforce the follow on (esp after the kolkata test in 2001), aus will try to rest their quicks and australia will want to absolutely psychologically demoralize england by batting them into oblivion in the 3rd innings
The Ashes on 11:02 - Dec 17 with 1400 viewsRangersw12

I think a few test careers will end after this series

Woakes, Burns and Hameed in the firing line for me. Woakes never does it abroad and is really only playing because he can bat a bit. Burns to many low scores and not good enough. Hameed again just doesn't look up to it and always finds a way to get out
The Ashes on 11:04 - Dec 17 with 1390 viewsozexile

The Ashes on 11:02 - Dec 17 by Rangersw12

I think a few test careers will end after this series

Woakes, Burns and Hameed in the firing line for me. Woakes never does it abroad and is really only playing because he can bat a bit. Burns to many low scores and not good enough. Hameed again just doesn't look up to it and always finds a way to get out

Crawley for Burns and Bairstow for Buttler at present. But all 11 could be replaced to be fair.
The Ashes on 11:06 - Dec 17 with 1382 viewsstowmarketrange

The Ashes on 11:04 - Dec 17 by ozexile

Crawley for Burns and Bairstow for Buttler at present. But all 11 could be replaced to be fair.

Who with though?
The Ashes on 11:26 - Dec 17 with 1340 viewsTheChef

Seriously, does Root really think he can do everything??

We've shown no faith in our frontline spinners whatsoever.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The Ashes on 11:55 - Dec 17 with 1301 viewsBlackAndGoldRanger

The attack is all too samey with the selectors banking on it swinging around corners. Easy to say in hindsight but I really would have played Wood here, I think we miss Archer massively too. Would be nice to actually put a score on the board tomorrow and prove us all wrong.
The Ashes on 11:55 - Dec 17 with 1300 viewsdanehoop

I take back my earlier more positive assessment. We are going to get gubbed.

Never knowingly understood

The Ashes on 12:34 - Dec 17 with 1258 viewsPhildo

come blessed covid and endeth the series
The Ashes on 12:50 - Dec 17 with 1239 viewsswisscottage

I was telling my mother before the series started it will be a whitewash.

The focus over the last 6 years has been entirely for white ball cricket.

In 2021 there were only two rounds of the county championship between 7th June and 29th August.

How on earth are England supposed to develop test cricketers to play abroad, when they only play county championship in spring and autumn. People wonder why we have no spinners.

We don't prioritise fast bowlers for country cricket for the same reason in that swing is more effective given the conditions. When we do have fast bowlers they concentrate on white ball cricket and don't have the endurance for long spells.

English red ball cricket is in a terminal decline, and is only saved on home soil because of the home advantage of swing bowling over batting on most test grounds.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2021 12:50]
The Ashes on 12:55 - Dec 17 with 1232 viewsstowmarketrange

The Ashes on 12:50 - Dec 17 by swisscottage

In 2021 there were only two rounds of the county championship between 7th June and 29th August.

How on earth are England supposed to develop test cricketers to play abroad, when they only play county championship in spring and autumn. People wonder why we have no spinners.

We don't prioritise fast bowlers for country cricket for the same reason in that swing is more effective given the conditions. When we do have fast bowlers they concentrate on white ball cricket and don't have the endurance for long spells.

English red ball cricket is in a terminal decline, and is only saved on home soil because of the home advantage of swing bowling over batting on most test grounds.

Can she bat or bowl?
The Ashes on 13:04 - Dec 17 with 1210 viewsAntti_Heinola

I don't disagree that the ECB has abandoned red ball cricket at county level, but I also have some sympathy. No one. Is. Going. To. 4-Day. County. Games.
People do go, in big numbers, to the short form. Money to pay players has to come from somewhere. Even in Test cricket, we're increasingly an outlier in terms of getting regular full houses.
I don't know what the answer is - it has to be better red ball cricket for players to learn their craft, but how do you finance that and fit it into the calendar? Outside of some hardy souls, no one cares until Test level.

This one could be over by end of tomorrow unless Root or Stokes give us a miracle.

Bare bones.

The Ashes on 13:19 - Dec 17 with 1186 viewsswisscottage

The Ashes on 12:55 - Dec 17 by stowmarketrange

Can she bat or bowl?

Surrey Girls about 65 years ago, so not sure if she's still got her kit.
The Ashes on 13:20 - Dec 17 with 1182 viewsqprd

The Ashes on 13:04 - Dec 17 by Antti_Heinola

I don't disagree that the ECB has abandoned red ball cricket at county level, but I also have some sympathy. No one. Is. Going. To. 4-Day. County. Games.
People do go, in big numbers, to the short form. Money to pay players has to come from somewhere. Even in Test cricket, we're increasingly an outlier in terms of getting regular full houses.
I don't know what the answer is - it has to be better red ball cricket for players to learn their craft, but how do you finance that and fit it into the calendar? Outside of some hardy souls, no one cares until Test level.

This one could be over by end of tomorrow unless Root or Stokes give us a miracle.

all these things are not unique to england, though

no one goes to sheffield shield, ranji trophy, whatever the first class competition is called in new zealand ... if anything, england has probably the most test supporting fans of any nation... whereas australia cant even sell out these ashes, all 5 days of all engalnd test matches (even against crap teams like windies) are sold out

i think its just the case that has terrible management that has mismanaged the run up to the ashes and continues to make terrible decisions... theyve been unlucky to lose archer stone etc to injury, unlucky that stokes had a long break from the game, etc

if one or two of pope, lawrence, crawley etc eventually becomes a 40+ average player, mahmood comes good, etc.... england is not that far away from being a top class test side
The Ashes on 13:22 - Dec 17 with 1175 viewsstowmarketrange

The Ashes on 13:19 - Dec 17 by swisscottage

Surrey Girls about 65 years ago, so not sure if she's still got her kit.

That’ll do.Get her over there quick.
The Ashes on 13:33 - Dec 17 with 1140 viewsStainrod

The Ashes on 12:55 - Dec 17 by stowmarketrange

Can she bat or bowl?

The Ashes on 17:07 - Dec 17 with 975 viewsJamesB1979

The Ashes on 12:50 - Dec 17 by swisscottage

They haven’t abandoned and focussed on white ball. They did up to the 2019 World Cup. But since then it’s supposedly been “Project Ashes”. We’re not getting stuffed due to lack of focus.

Main reasons we are getting smashed:

1) Dropping catches. They’ve dropped none. We’ve dropped ridiculously easy chances and off their best players ie Warner and Laburshane. You can’t drop chances in Oz as you don’t get many chances.
2) Batting - Burns has always been rubbish and he can’t catch. Yet we stick with him. We spent far too long looking at Sibley for example who is very limited player. They’ve made poor decisions over last 2 years.
3) No decent spinner. We’ve known that for ages but done nothing to correct it.

I’d bring in Bairstow for Burns, and get him to open and make him keeper. Wood should play for Woakes. You can’t play both Anderson and Broad.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024