Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Ashes 22:43 - Dec 7 with 17466 viewsstowmarketrange

The Ashes start in less than 90 mins,and I wondered what people thought of our chances this time?
It will be strange not to be able to have the barmy army in force out there this winter.Although I can’t see us winning the urn back,I think it will be closer than 4 years ago.Just a shame that I can’t be over there for a month like I was 4 years ago.
I think it might’ve been closer then if we’d taken Stokes along,but that’s history now.I hope we put up more of a fight this time around.
Come on the poms.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2021 8:32]
The Ashes on 09:19 - Dec 10 with 2565 viewsstowmarketrange

The Ashes on 08:58 - Dec 10 by danehoop

Think the main issue that England are facing at the moment is lack of competitive match practice in the conditions. In some part that is due to the weather washing things out, but inter squad practice games are not a substitute for time at the crease against competitive local opposition. Day 1 was really poor and seemed to show that problem up to full. I thought the England bowling was mixed on Day 2, but there was good signs that some of the quicker bowlers were beginning to get to grips with the conditions. Batting today has also looked much less frantic and rushed, pitch is certainly settling down a little, but credit where it is due, the batsman have clearly been working hard to get acclimatised and had better sight of the bowling.

That said, I don't think the squad looks that strong, as others have picked up on, slower bowler options aren't great (but probably best we have available?) and batting line up looks fragile. If the latter clicks it will score lots of runs, but over the past 2 years that hasn't been too often an occurrence. I think possibly a lot rested with Stokes and I'm not sure he is yet is the right place physically and mentally perhaps.

It may change over the tour, but suspect this will be one of brief periods of competitiveness, in an otherwise disappointing series for England. Maybe a blessing in disguise as it would encourage some changes in squad and set up.

Maybe Root should’ve taken the lack of match sharpness into consideration when choosing to bat first?If your bowlers aren’t match sharp they get smacked around a lot until they get it,but you’re normally still in with a chance.If your batsmen haven’t got it you get skittled out for 147,and it’s very difficult to recover from.
Especially with the weather conditions on day 1 of this test,it might’ve been better to bat 2nd rather than jump straight in to bat.But that’s all hindsight now.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2021 9:20]
The Ashes on 12:12 - Dec 10 with 2410 viewsdanehoop

The Ashes on 09:19 - Dec 10 by stowmarketrange

Maybe Root should’ve taken the lack of match sharpness into consideration when choosing to bat first?If your bowlers aren’t match sharp they get smacked around a lot until they get it,but you’re normally still in with a chance.If your batsmen haven’t got it you get skittled out for 147,and it’s very difficult to recover from.
Especially with the weather conditions on day 1 of this test,it might’ve been better to bat 2nd rather than jump straight in to bat.But that’s all hindsight now.

Totally agree with you!

Was baffled by the decision to bat first. Guess he thought he would try and impose himself on to the Aussies with what he thought was his strongest element to his team. Incredibly naive with hindsight if that was the case.

Never knowingly understood

The Ashes on 12:29 - Dec 10 with 2395 viewsdaveB

with the pitch showing signs of spin maybe he'll be vindicated this weekend on batting first although can only really see an Aussie win here.

I think the last few Ashes tours even the home one in 2019 we have got ourselves in good positions to go on and win games, last tour they always seemed to be 4/5 down quite quickly but the Aussie mentality seems them fight through it and still make 3/400 and bat England out of games. When England go 4/5 down they will be bowled out for less than 200.

They have got themselves back into this game but key will be how we react when we lose wickets tomorrow, last few years suggest we'll collapse but who knows
The Ashes on 15:11 - Dec 10 with 2272 viewsJamesB1979

Good to see Malan getting runs. Always comes across as level headed fella. But Rory Burns…..deary me. Can’t catch or bat…….doesn’t seem to impact his ego though.
The Ashes on 18:39 - Dec 10 with 2160 viewsRangersw12

I resigned myself to a heavy defeat and then the barstards do this and give us hope!!!

Gonna stay up and watch it so fully expect us to lose Malan and Root within the first ten overs and Aussies to win by 10 wickets
The Ashes on 20:25 - Dec 10 with 2083 viewsKiwi76

Felt bad for Burns as very nearly even worse with a pair. Tough to come back as Aussies will go him now, same with Leach. Really good response from Malan & Root - hope can dish it back a lot further into today.
The Ashes on 23:58 - Dec 10 with 1975 viewsstowmarketrange

Here we go again.Two wickets in 30 and the new ball to come.Make that 3 wickets.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2021 0:07]
The Ashes on 23:59 - Dec 10 with 1974 viewsRangersw12

Need a miracle now
Login to get fewer ads

The Ashes on 01:00 - Dec 11 with 1934 viewsKiwi76

Screws well & truely being turned
The Ashes on 08:14 - Dec 11 with 1808 viewsdaveB

once again as soon as one wicket goes the game is up. The amount of times this happens to England team is incredible
The Ashes on 09:28 - Dec 11 with 1766 viewsted_hendrix

Tediously predictable result, the outcome has absolutely nothing to do with the colour of the ball, or spin or overcast weather or who won the toss It has a an awful lot to do with losing eight bloody wickets for a lousy 77 runs in Englands second innings and only scoring a lousy 147 runs in Englands first innings.
Print those figures out on a piece of paper and show them to a chimpanzee and the chimpanzee will tell you that England were well and truly beaten by a much better side.

There's no excuses for that defeat-none.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

The Ashes on 14:53 - Dec 11 with 1644 viewsSuperhoops2808

The Ashes on 09:19 - Dec 10 by stowmarketrange

This post is spot on

When most of the Kent Cricket was knocked out by isolating this season, we had to call in players that had never played first class cricket.

We played Sussex, and won the toss. Instead of throwing two brand new openers into the mix, when it was better to bat first, the stand in captain elected to bowl first and what do you know, went on to draw the match.

Root really should have thought about the lack of practice going in to the match. I sometimes wonder any discussion before a toss takes place with the management at times
The Ashes on 14:55 - Dec 11 with 1644 viewsSuperhoops2808

The Ashes on 21:27 - Dec 8 by Logman

Good post Superhoops2808, I agree.

But I am also a Kent supporter and on the basis of what I have seen, I would not recommend Crawley to open the batting for England in Test cricket. I saw him play in quite a few of our County games last season (albeit online) and he goes for his shots far too early and does not yet have the instincts to fend off the best bowlers in the world at the red ball game.

That said, he is a better option than Burns whose technique is completely flawed.

I'd think about putting Bairstow in as an opener. He is big game player.

I see what you mean about Crawley, but he will often make a quick fire 50 and get you off to a fairly solid start. Burns is just a disaster at the moment and has pretty much been that for the last 12 months.

I was surprised by Malan but he had a point to prove.
The Ashes on 09:26 - Dec 16 with 1429 viewsTheChef

The usual shit shambles again.

Pick virtually identical seamers.
Rest Wood (why???).
No frontline spinner.

The decision making/selection from the management and captain is all over the place.

Australia will enjoy their two days with the bat, we will crumble as usual.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The Ashes on 09:36 - Dec 16 with 1410 viewsozexile

The Ashes on 09:26 - Dec 16 by TheChef

Rest Wood (why???).
No frontline spinner.

The decision making/selection from the management and captain is all over the place.

Hard to disagree with any of that. Dreadful selections. 37 degrees tomorrow. Australia looking at 600 Dec here.
The Ashes on 09:49 - Dec 16 with 1387 viewsRangersw12

The Ashes on 09:26 - Dec 16 by TheChef

Rest Wood (why???).
No frontline spinner.

Hopefully Silverwood and Root will both fall on their sword once the Ashes have gone.

They consistently pick the wrong side and the team has gone backwards under both of them
The Ashes on 09:55 - Dec 16 with 1360 viewsozexile

The Ashes on 09:49 - Dec 16 by Rangersw12

Hopefully Silverwood and Root will both fall on their sword once the Ashes have gone.

They consistently pick the wrong side and the team has gone backwards under both of them

Who would be Captain? There is absolutely no one to take Roots place.
The Ashes on 10:02 - Dec 16 with 1343 viewsBlackCrowe

The Ashes on 09:55 - Dec 16 by ozexile

Who would be Captain? There is absolutely no one to take Roots place.

And therein lies the problem. I've always been iffy about his ability as Captain but can't come up with an alternative.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

The Ashes on 10:26 - Dec 16 with 1308 viewsloftus77

The Ashes on 10:02 - Dec 16 by BlackCrowe

And therein lies the problem. I've always been iffy about his ability as Captain but can't come up with an alternative.

Is there an unwritten rule that says a bowler can't be captain (any since Bob Willis?)?

I've said for years that I would have given the skipper role to the experienced Broad or Anderson in a heartbeat and let our one and only proper Test batsman (Root) concentrate exclusively on his batting (where the English Test problem exclusively lies). Same, going back, for Cook, Vaughan and Atherton.
The Ashes on 10:32 - Dec 16 with 1297 viewsjohnhoop

According to TMS, now that the conditions they've planned and prayed for from the start of the Series, playing under floodlights with the pink ball, have finally arrived, they're banging it in short of a length!
The Ashes on 10:52 - Dec 16 with 1255 viewsRangersw12

The Ashes on 10:32 - Dec 16 by johnhoop

According to TMS, now that the conditions they've planned and prayed for from the start of the Series, playing under floodlights with the pink ball, have finally arrived, they're banging it in short of a length!

Plan has been to bowl short but we leave our quickest bowler out of the side

Robinson not fit enough and bowling at 120km

New ball due now so all or nothing in the next 30 mins
The Ashes on 11:17 - Dec 16 with 1227 viewsRangersw12

Awful keeping
The Ashes on 11:43 - Dec 16 with 1161 viewsdaveB

The Ashes on 10:26 - Dec 16 by loftus77

Is there an unwritten rule that says a bowler can't be captain (any since Bob Willis?)?

I've said for years that I would have given the skipper role to the experienced Broad or Anderson in a heartbeat and let our one and only proper Test batsman (Root) concentrate exclusively on his batting (where the English Test problem exclusively lies). Same, going back, for Cook, Vaughan and Atherton.

The Aussie captain is now a bowler. I think they were spooked by when Flintoff had it and we were crap although that had a lot to do with the team at the end of a cycle and Freddies temperament than the fact he was a bowler
The Ashes on 12:04 - Dec 16 with 1123 viewsAntti_Heinola

Desperate stuff today. Bowling was tight all day, you can't really blame them, but our fielding once again, this time Buttler, has let us down badly. There was a stat that there have been 19 chances in the slips this series, and we've pouched just 11, the Aussies are 18 for 18. You can talk about poor batting, picking the wrong bowlers etc, but if you can't catch the bloody thing you'll never win anything.
Looking more and more like a whitewash, this.

Bare bones.

The Ashes on 12:19 - Dec 16 with 1093 viewsflitwickhoop

A day that summed up everything that is poor with our side. First of all selection, why there was no Mark Wood was beyond me. Went into the game pinning all our hopes on the ball swinging in the dark and by the time that came we were spent from a full day in the roasting sun. Very very one dimensional and then to top it all off when the chances do come we can't catch the thing. For all that I do think our bowlers were very disciplined today and deserved a little bit more luck, doesn't bode well though with the weather tomorrow.

Our batsmen will grossly let this bowling attack down again, they could bat on a road with the Aussies bowling a football and we'd still lose four wickets for less than thirty runs.

Add to that our absolutely woeful over rate and Joe Root is looking at returning to England having lost 5 zip and in his overdraft. Bleak.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024