Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Ashes 22:43 - Dec 7 with 17465 viewsstowmarketrange

The Ashes start in less than 90 mins,and I wondered what people thought of our chances this time?
It will be strange not to be able to have the barmy army in force out there this winter.Although I can’t see us winning the urn back,I think it will be closer than 4 years ago.Just a shame that I can’t be over there for a month like I was 4 years ago.
I think it might’ve been closer then if we’d taken Stokes along,but that’s history now.I hope we put up more of a fight this time around.
Come on the poms.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2021 8:32]
The Ashes on 17:54 - Dec 17 with 1932 viewstoboboly

The Ashes on 17:07 - Dec 17 by JamesB1979

They haven’t abandoned and focussed on white ball. They did up to the 2019 World Cup. But since then it’s supposedly been “Project Ashes”. We’re not getting stuffed due to lack of focus.

Main reasons we are getting smashed:

1) Dropping catches. They’ve dropped none. We’ve dropped ridiculously easy chances and off their best players ie Warner and Laburshane. You can’t drop chances in Oz as you don’t get many chances.
2) Batting - Burns has always been rubbish and he can’t catch. Yet we stick with him. We spent far too long looking at Sibley for example who is very limited player. They’ve made poor decisions over last 2 years.
3) No decent spinner. We’ve known that for ages but done nothing to correct it.

I’d bring in Bairstow for Burns, and get him to open and make him keeper. Wood should play for Woakes. You can’t play both Anderson and Broad.

I don't think it has been project ashes since 2019, if it was then they would have had proper warm up games for at least 6 weeks prior.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

The Ashes on 18:15 - Dec 17 with 1895 viewsJamesB1979

The 2 warm games were rained off. Prior to that, a lot of the better players were at the T20 World Cup.
The Ashes on 19:02 - Dec 17 with 1859 viewsdanehoop

The Ashes on 18:15 - Dec 17 by JamesB1979

The 2 warm games were rained off. Prior to that, a lot of the better players were at the T20 World Cup.

I think that was the main problem.

The timing needed because of Covid etc. would have meant most of the squad being away 5-6 months if they were to out in proper month of prep in Aus. At the moment very fewer takers for living out of hotel rooms and in different quarantine arrangements away from families etc. in the middle of a pandemic.

That said, still think the prep has been poor and side look really disjointed.

Never knowingly understood

The Ashes on 20:33 - Dec 17 with 1788 viewsSuperhoops2808

The Ashes on 17:07 - Dec 17 by JamesB1979

They haven’t abandoned and focussed on white ball. They did up to the 2019 World Cup. But since then it’s supposedly been “Project Ashes”. We’re not getting stuffed due to lack of focus.

Main reasons we are getting smashed:

1) Dropping catches. They’ve dropped none. We’ve dropped ridiculously easy chances and off their best players ie Warner and Laburshane. You can’t drop chances in Oz as you don’t get many chances.
2) Batting - Burns has always been rubbish and he can’t catch. Yet we stick with him. We spent far too long looking at Sibley for example who is very limited player. They’ve made poor decisions over last 2 years.
3) No decent spinner. We’ve known that for ages but done nothing to correct it.

I’d bring in Bairstow for Burns, and get him to open and make him keeper. Wood should play for Woakes. You can’t play both Anderson and Broad.

The one thing you haven't addressed and several of us have said it all the way through is your comment about a spinner. The only way to bring on a decent spinner is to play red ball cricket during the suitable time of the year for a pitch to spin. And so sorry but Red ball HAS been abandoned by the ECB.

No longer do we have players building innings - The only glimpse we had of that was Malan and Root in the 2nd innings of the 1st test. And then they threw it all out the window the next day. They dont know when to play or to leave. And white ball is at fault for that because the mentality is to play at every ball.

The one thing we do agree is that Burns is pony. In both looks and at cricket!!
The Ashes on 20:40 - Dec 17 with 1779 viewsDWQPR

To be frank Root is an average captain and Silverwood is an average coach. Would love to see Stokes as captain as he shows much more enthusiasm than Root when things are going against the team. Decisions have been baffling so far. I can’t see past a whitewash at the moment unless the weather intervenes.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

The Ashes on 20:45 - Dec 17 with 1773 viewsstowmarketrange

The Ashes on 20:33 - Dec 17 by Superhoops2808

The one thing you haven't addressed and several of us have said it all the way through is your comment about a spinner. The only way to bring on a decent spinner is to play red ball cricket during the suitable time of the year for a pitch to spin. And so sorry but Red ball HAS been abandoned by the ECB.

No longer do we have players building innings - The only glimpse we had of that was Malan and Root in the 2nd innings of the 1st test. And then they threw it all out the window the next day. They dont know when to play or to leave. And white ball is at fault for that because the mentality is to play at every ball.

The one thing we do agree is that Burns is pony. In both looks and at cricket!!

I certainly agree with you about building an innings rather than playing at every ball.Warner was struggling virtually ball 1 yesterday,but tried not to do anything stupid until he played himself in.He was lucky at times,but he made the most of that luck.
I know it was totally different batting conditions for our openers,but too many times in the past they thrashed away at every ball trying to score quickly.That’s why tests last 5 days rather than just 1 day.
The Ashes on 04:56 - Dec 18 with 1683 viewseastside_r

Good start by England - got to win the rest of this session and all of the next one.

Always a danger after drinks, fingers crossed.
The Ashes on 07:56 - Dec 18 with 1620 viewsdistortR

The Ashes on 04:56 - Dec 18 by eastside_r

Good start by England - got to win the rest of this session and all of the next one.

Always a danger after drinks, fingers crossed.

Login to get fewer ads

The Ashes on 08:48 - Dec 18 with 1568 viewsRangersw12

Usual story lose one which brings another 3 or 4

Awful batting performance but we've been poor with the bat for at least 5 years

Let's hope Stokes smashes a few so the deficet is under 150 but there is only going to be one winner in ths

Big changes needed for the next test not that it will make much of a difference
The Ashes on 09:03 - Dec 18 with 1543 viewsjohnhoop

Amongst the general carnage, one of the saddest things for me is to see what appears to be the complete disintegration of Ollie Pope on this misbegotten tour.
From looking like the classiest Test Match prospect of his generation his game seems to have fallen apart out there.
The Ashes on 09:35 - Dec 18 with 1505 viewsMedwayR

His game hasn’t disintegrated in Australia, he’s done very little in an England shirt full stop, doesn’t look & has never looked up to it at this level.

Poll: Who’s better?

The Ashes on 09:37 - Dec 18 with 1502 viewsdistortR

The Ashes on 09:35 - Dec 18 by MedwayR

His game hasn’t disintegrated in Australia, he’s done very little in an England shirt full stop, doesn’t look & has never looked up to it at this level.

is that Pope or just most of England in general?
The Ashes on 09:45 - Dec 18 with 1497 viewsted_hendrix

Nathan Lyon is having fun, It's Men against Girls.

Aussies are kicking our arses-that's right kicking our arses.

Lose if we've got to lose but Jesus wept.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

The Ashes on 10:29 - Dec 18 with 1449 viewsjohnhoop

The Ashes on 09:45 - Dec 18 by ted_hendrix

Nathan Lyon is having fun, It's Men against Girls.

Aussies are kicking our arses-that's right kicking our arses.

Lose if we've got to lose but Jesus wept.

It's a pity that they didn't enforce the follow-on so it could all be over a lot more quickly. Instead of which, they're going to carry on rubbing England's noses in the dirt for another 24 hours.
The Ashes on 10:38 - Dec 18 with 1432 viewsthame_hoops

It’s getting to the point where English County cricket players would be better off applying their trade around the world, rather than wickets in England in April and September. How are we supposed to bring a spinner through like Parkinson for instance. He only gets to bowl on seaming wickets.
The Ashes on 11:45 - Dec 19 with 1152 viewsRangersw12

At least we battled a bit in the last session

Root playing at a delivery he didn't need to though with inevitable results

On a side note can't believe how poor the crowds have been in this series
[Post edited 19 Dec 2021 11:47]
The Ashes on 12:12 - Dec 19 with 1127 viewsstowmarketrange

The Ashes on 11:45 - Dec 19 by Rangersw12

At least we battled a bit in the last session

Root playing at a delivery he didn't need to though with inevitable results

On a side note can't believe how poor the crowds have been in this series
[Post edited 19 Dec 2021 11:47]

It was the same 4 years ago.The last 3 tests I went to were mainly watched by england fans after the first day or two.Even the mcg and the scg were virtually empty from day 3 onwards.
I heard that the Aussies would prefer a close game rather than a walkover,but we more than matched them in Melbourne,but you could still sit where you wanted to after day 2.
The Ashes on 08:10 - Dec 20 with 963 viewsdenhamhoop2

Finally a bit of fight from England sadly too late to save this game very disappointing against what is very much a Australia B bowling line up
The Ashes on 09:42 - Dec 20 with 895 viewsTGRRRSSS

Broad and Anderson at the crease, 1 wicket left, but going to the wire....
The Ashes on 09:43 - Dec 20 with 892 viewsTGRRRSSS

Not sure how many overs are left.
The Ashes on 09:43 - Dec 20 with 893 viewsdaveB

The Ashes on 09:42 - Dec 20 by TGRRRSSS

Broad and Anderson at the crease, 1 wicket left, but going to the wire....

was only a matter of time
The Ashes on 09:45 - Dec 20 with 887 viewsTGRRRSSS

AS I typed it I think. 2-0 down and one of the games with it being day night that they might have fancied, on to Melbourne for the Boxing Day test I guess.
The Ashes on 10:06 - Dec 20 with 846 viewsstowmarketrange

Just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse they interview the sandpaper captain.Amazing how the Aussie public seem to have forgiven or forgotten what happened on his watch last time.I was surprised that he was made vice captain again,but winning means more than principles to our Aussie foes.
Or is it just me being too harsh?
The Ashes on 10:06 - Dec 20 with 846 viewsRangersw12

Good to see a bit of fight but Pope, Buttler and Woakes need to be dropped.

Bairstow ( I don't rate but better keeper than Buttler), Laurence and Wood need to come in

Would also look at the spinner for Robinson or Broad
The Ashes on 10:10 - Dec 20 with 840 viewsdaveB

The Ashes on 10:06 - Dec 20 by Rangersw12

Good to see a bit of fight but Pope, Buttler and Woakes need to be dropped.

Bairstow ( I don't rate but better keeper than Buttler), Laurence and Wood need to come in

Would also look at the spinner for Robinson or Broad

I don't think it matters much what they do, whoever they pick they are incapable of batting long enough to get as big score so the bowlers have nothing to work with
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024