Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gary Jones 20:43 - May 5 with 5193 viewsR442D

I know we should be over this, but I feel quite angered.

Without doubt Gary Jones was and still is a machine on the field, his effort and passion is without doubt one of the 'never say never -ever' attitude, that only very-very few have in the football league.

I am incredibly pleased for him to go onto another playoff final being the captain again. He deserves it after the way he was treated in his final days at our club.

And that's what angers me.

The way Coleman came in, striped 'Mr Rochdale' of his captaincy and pushed him out of the club.

And not one of us thought anything of it; not even after all the times he served us through the difficult times. He never left through-out them.

But instead when he was the only one who stood up and voiced his anger and questioned to why his 'managers' came 2 hours late to training hung over, he was given the boot.

No other player stood up and defended him?
Not one board member did?
Not even us?

Why not?

We let go one of the best players to wear a dale shirt and the captains armband, someone who was the voice on the field for the fans.

And we stood by and watched him be treated like a bad-apple fringe player with a very out of ordered attitude.

Now you don't have to reply, although I assume someone is going to come up with an excuse or another story.

But the fact remains, as fans from terraces, we voiced nothing.

I'm just glad he's at a club where fans realise how much of a footballing giant he is and let him know.
Gary Jones on 20:55 - May 5 with 4370 views442Dale

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/fb_mb.php?m=v&t=79959#79

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Gary Jones on 21:04 - May 5 with 4338 viewsBartRowou

Given the choice, I'd rather have Gary Jones than Phil Jones although I think both are past their best.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Gary Jones on 21:08 - May 5 with 4321 views442Dale

Gary Jones on 21:04 - May 5 by BartRowou

Given the choice, I'd rather have Gary Jones than Phil Jones although I think both are past their best.

What about Alex?

Never has a player had such a glorious return. THE BOY IS BAAAAAAAACK.

Gary Jones on 21:10 - May 5 with 4314 viewsSalwaDale

We had to back the manager, couldn't afford not to.

What's done is done. Hindsight can be a wonderful thing. All that matters now (for me anyway) is that we now have Hill back in charge and our club back. The future looks bright.

TBBT

Gary Jones on 21:13 - May 5 with 4306 viewsBartRowou

Gary Jones on 21:08 - May 5 by 442Dale

What about Alex?

Never has a player had such a glorious return. THE BOY IS BAAAAAAAACK.

That Duckworth character is what this club is missing.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Gary Jones on 21:34 - May 5 with 4261 viewsBigKindo

We have never been party as to what actually happened, rumour and inuendo abound. We have our suspicions but I think that Jonah is a gentleman who will not spill the beans, until his biography is published.
Gary Jones on 22:09 - May 5 with 4165 viewsdalenumber2

There were plenty of people on Jonah's back in his final season with us - he got quite a bit of criticism and many thought it should be his final season. Again, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Don't be bitter, be pleased for Jonah who has had his 'second wind' at Bradford. He wouldn't have been as successful if he had stayed at Spotland.
Gary Jones on 22:47 - May 5 with 4116 viewsdale10

there was players behind gary dont think it takes to much thinking about as who they was there was a board member behind gary there was fans who said they did not like what went on just the clown got his own way
Login to get fewer ads

Gary Jones on 22:51 - May 5 with 4106 viewsroccydaleian

Gary Jones on 22:47 - May 5 by dale10

there was players behind gary dont think it takes to much thinking about as who they was there was a board member behind gary there was fans who said they did not like what went on just the clown got his own way

wtf
Gary Jones on 23:20 - May 5 with 4055 viewsThreeLions

Mo one player or manager is bigger than the club.
Gary Jones on 23:43 - May 5 with 4028 viewsolympicdale

People were saying he was past his best when he left, and now we're getting people clambering to get him back, it's time to move on. It does sadden me though, with how he was treated on his way out, he deserved so much better.

Life is a game of fate.

Gary Jones on 23:47 - May 5 with 4022 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Gary Jones on 23:20 - May 5 by ThreeLions

Mo one player or manager is bigger than the club.

Having met Bobby Williamson, I disagree with that statement.
Gary Jones on 01:03 - May 6 with 3963 viewsKenBoon

It is true that there were many saying he was past it. Lots of people backing Hilly's decision to only offer him a 1 yr deal and saying Tutte was the future. It doesn't alter the way his second spell ended with us though.

Did he ever have his testimonial? If not I think one should be arranged as soon as he contractually is able to.
Gary Jones on 08:46 - May 6 with 3824 viewsThe_DJ

The events leading up to him leaving the club were a disgrace.
I hope one day he is welcomed back and one or two highly placed people have the humility to accept they were very wrong.

I'm delighted he will be a Wembley again, hope its a victory this time.
Gary Jones on 09:54 - May 6 with 3754 viewsSuddenLad

Gary Jones on 23:43 - May 5 by olympicdale

People were saying he was past his best when he left, and now we're getting people clambering to get him back, it's time to move on. It does sadden me though, with how he was treated on his way out, he deserved so much better.

He WAS past his best and is still past his best, but that isn't the point, nor do I think people are necessarily hankering after him returning to Spotland - at least not in a playing role.

Gary Jones was a fantastic servant to this club, he was club captain, record appearance holder and one thing you knew was that when he pulled a Dale shirt over his head, he gave it his all.

That doesn't mean he had a brilliant game every time he played, nor that he was the best player on the park in every match, but with Gary Jones, you got commitment, passion and an attitude that showed he CARED - about the club, the team and the supporters.

They are priceless commodities that you don't find in many players.

Enter the 'Scouse Mafia' and it seems that one of their prime objectives was to chuck their weight around, stamp their authority all over the place and behave like playground bullies. They undermined him from the start.

The attitude seemed to be: "We're in charge and we want you to know it. Don't question us or you're on your way".

Whatever happened that fateful day on the training ground is fully known only to those who were there, but whatever else happened it signalled the end of Gary Jones as a Dale player and no doubt that was the objective.

Gary Jones has had a renaissance this season and he deserves it. He has a fresh challenge, new motivation and I'm delighted for him.

Let's not forget that when KH was here he only offered Jonah a 1 year extension to his contract and then he left for pastures new. That offer was doubled the minute Steve Eyre walked through the door, allegedly after 'prompting' from the Chairman.

I hope he achieves promotion at Wembley if only to erase the memory of the previous failures. That said, I don't see him as a 46 game, League 1 player any more, but maybe they will offer him something at Bradford. I doubt if they would have had their successes this season without him. He is a positive influence in the dressing room and on or off the field.

It's just a pity that the clueless manager of the Dog & Duck Reserves couldn't see that and forced him out. Shame on him.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Gary Jones on 10:02 - May 6 with 3740 views442Dale

It benefits Dale so much more if Bradford don't go up. The revenue from their big following inhabiting the Willbutts could pay the wages of another player.

Gary Jones on 10:50 - May 6 with 3677 viewsD_Alien

"I'm just glad he's at a club where fans realise how much of a footballing giant he is and let him know."

Following one of our few bright moments during Eyre's time, on the evening after we'd won 1-0 at Preston, Gary Jones was honoured with a presentation to mark his 500th appearance in Dale colours

To say that we let him go without showing our due appreciation is absolute rubbish.

At a time of the events you describe, we were desperate to have Coleman rescue our descent into the abyss. The fact that he pushed us further down than we ever thought possible (in terms of club morale) just wasn't a factor at that stage.

Gary Jones is, and always will be a Dale legend. Your post, whilst no doubt heartfelt and with good intentions, just doesn't quite match the reality of events, both then and now.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Gary Jones on 11:03 - May 6 with 3655 viewsColDale

A presentation (of which he was aware) was also planned to be made to him when we hosted Bradford earlier in the season in honour of his time with the club which unfortunately he couldn't be at due to his back injury at the time.
Gary Jones on 11:09 - May 6 with 3642 viewssweetcorn

"he never left through-out".

haha. strong. is this the same gary jones that threatened to fake injury unless we let him move to barnsley.

he had a terrible season the year before and the time was right for him to move. its refreshed his career and gave others a chance.

whats done is done. sick if reading About it now. let it die.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Gary Jones on 11:46 - May 6 with 3589 viewsolympicdale

Gary Jones on 09:54 - May 6 by SuddenLad

He WAS past his best and is still past his best, but that isn't the point, nor do I think people are necessarily hankering after him returning to Spotland - at least not in a playing role.

Gary Jones was a fantastic servant to this club, he was club captain, record appearance holder and one thing you knew was that when he pulled a Dale shirt over his head, he gave it his all.

That doesn't mean he had a brilliant game every time he played, nor that he was the best player on the park in every match, but with Gary Jones, you got commitment, passion and an attitude that showed he CARED - about the club, the team and the supporters.

They are priceless commodities that you don't find in many players.

Enter the 'Scouse Mafia' and it seems that one of their prime objectives was to chuck their weight around, stamp their authority all over the place and behave like playground bullies. They undermined him from the start.

The attitude seemed to be: "We're in charge and we want you to know it. Don't question us or you're on your way".

Whatever happened that fateful day on the training ground is fully known only to those who were there, but whatever else happened it signalled the end of Gary Jones as a Dale player and no doubt that was the objective.

Gary Jones has had a renaissance this season and he deserves it. He has a fresh challenge, new motivation and I'm delighted for him.

Let's not forget that when KH was here he only offered Jonah a 1 year extension to his contract and then he left for pastures new. That offer was doubled the minute Steve Eyre walked through the door, allegedly after 'prompting' from the Chairman.

I hope he achieves promotion at Wembley if only to erase the memory of the previous failures. That said, I don't see him as a 46 game, League 1 player any more, but maybe they will offer him something at Bradford. I doubt if they would have had their successes this season without him. He is a positive influence in the dressing room and on or off the field.

It's just a pity that the clueless manager of the Dog & Duck Reserves couldn't see that and forced him out. Shame on him.

I think the board have to hold quite a chunk of the responsibility too in how he left. It was disgusting how he was treated by all, the board should have stepped in when it was clear how Coleman was treating him.

Life is a game of fate.

Gary Jones on 22:19 - May 7 with 3283 views442Dale

It's been almost a day since we've debated it....

Jones has won four awards at Bradford's player of the season do tonight. So far.

Gary Jones on 22:25 - May 7 with 3269 viewsTalkingSutty

Gary Jones on 22:19 - May 7 by 442Dale

It's been almost a day since we've debated it....

Jones has won four awards at Bradford's player of the season do tonight. So far.

Contrary to what some folk thought at the time of him leaving the club, it seems his age wasnt a major factor after all. Tutte or Jones ........now let me see

Pile your money on him scoring in the play off final.I dont know what price he will be but i will be having a fiver on it !!
Gary Jones on 22:28 - May 7 with 3258 viewsTVOS1907

Gary Jones on 22:25 - May 7 by TalkingSutty

Contrary to what some folk thought at the time of him leaving the club, it seems his age wasnt a major factor after all. Tutte or Jones ........now let me see

Pile your money on him scoring in the play off final.I dont know what price he will be but i will be having a fiver on it !!

His odds would be shorter if he was up against Holness again.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Gary Jones on 22:28 - May 7 with 3256 views442Dale

Gary Jones on 22:25 - May 7 by TalkingSutty

Ha! We all know it was the right move for him, nobody more than the player himself. The awards underline this.

Gary Jones on 22:29 - May 7 with 3250 viewsTalkingSutty

Gary Jones on 22:28 - May 7 by 442Dale

Ha! We all know it was the right move for him, nobody more than the player himself. The awards underline this.

OK
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024