Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grant or Hogan? 18:43 - Aug 18 with 6038 viewssykeboy

Given the doubts raised when Grant was sold, the view by some was a replacement would be needed,as much as I admired Bobby he came with baggage,and the performances by Scott H to date have been excellent, given the choice I would stick with Hogan who could become our next striker of the Dale production line
Grant or Hogan? on 18:55 - Aug 18 with 4801 viewsRowZ

......Hogan. Much better attitude and goes at defenders and creates chances for himself other than cutting in from the right onto his left. Do feel that with a better out and out holding striker of the O'grady sorts we would see even more from Scotty. Shame we couldnt replace Rafferty with Wiseman and Donnelly with O'grady, promotion would be a cert.
Grant or Hogan? on 19:05 - Aug 18 with 4762 viewsdalenumber2

Hogan, Hogan, Hogan.... didn't even need to think about that one.
Grant or Hogan? on 19:09 - Aug 18 with 4757 viewsolympicdale

It is still early days, but I would plump for Hogan on what i've seen. He appears to have a little bit more to his game than Bobby, and seems to be more flexible playing anywhere along the front 3/4.

Life is a game of fate.

Grant or Hogan? on 20:09 - Aug 18 with 4661 viewssandylaner23

That's a tough 1.
Both have undoubted ability but for me it would be bobby grant.
This is based on his ability to pull out a pearler from absolutly nothing.
So far hogan has been excellent but only when things have been going our way, for example at burton we were up against it and I think he wasn't in the game as much. But I am still very pleased we have hogan and hope he can fire is to success.
Grant or Hogan? on 20:20 - Aug 18 with 4640 viewsdalenumber2

Grant was a talent but too much of a loose cannon who could end up spending good part of the season suspended. Would much rather Hilly develop the raw talent of Hogan as I think he has real potential and seems to have a good attitude.
Grant or Hogan? on 20:31 - Aug 18 with 4619 viewschuckleberry

Hogan; Grant is far too unpredictable.
Grant or Hogan? on 20:41 - Aug 18 with 4590 viewsAtThePeake

Grant or Hogan? on 19:09 - Aug 18 by olympicdale

It is still early days, but I would plump for Hogan on what i've seen. He appears to have a little bit more to his game than Bobby, and seems to be more flexible playing anywhere along the front 3/4.

Let's hope we can sell him for more than what we sold Grant for eh OD?

Tangled up in blue.

Grant or Hogan? on 20:45 - Aug 18 with 4583 viewsBirchy915

I think Hogan is the real deal. Pace, tricky, great touch, balance, and awareness. Oh and that vital ingredient for a striker.... devilment. As others have posted he needs a quality partner to hold the ball up for him so Donnelly has some work to do but its early days and I believe the partnership will improve with time on the pitch.
I don't think there will be many central defenders looking forward to playing against Hogan and I imagine a few will try to slow him down by fair means or foul, unlike short tempered Mr.Grant I think Hogan will be delighted to have goons trying to stop him and his response will be to let his talent do the talking. The lad has a very bright future.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

Login to get fewer ads

Grant or Hogan? on 20:46 - Aug 18 with 4582 viewsAtThePeake

Grant or Hogan? on 20:09 - Aug 18 by sandylaner23

That's a tough 1.
Both have undoubted ability but for me it would be bobby grant.
This is based on his ability to pull out a pearler from absolutly nothing.
So far hogan has been excellent but only when things have been going our way, for example at burton we were up against it and I think he wasn't in the game as much. But I am still very pleased we have hogan and hope he can fire is to success.

Not sure whether you can say Hogan is worse than Grant for that. Off the top of my head, I'm struggling to think of a time Grant really dragged us out of a mess like that, and I don't think at any point during his time with us we were up against a very decent side away from home with a man down within the first 10 minutes. It's very difficult for any attacking player to really influence a game at that point. As for being able to pull out a pearler from absolutely nothing, have you seen Hogan's two goals so far? Picking up the ball in a seemingly safe position for the opposition, beating players and producing great finishes.

I am incredibly excited by the prospect of Hogan. I really think he can go on to be a massive player for the club, and go on to be mentioned in the same breath as some of our legends over the last few years if he carries on how he has started. Grant for me has almost been forgotten already.

Tangled up in blue.

Grant or Hogan? on 20:55 - Aug 18 with 4549 viewsTalkingSutty

Hogan reminds me of a young Paul Dickov, very direct but maybe without Dickovs aggresive side.
Grant or Hogan? on 21:26 - Aug 18 with 4470 viewsstigmundo77

Funnily enough I said the same thing to my mate the other day!! Dickov was more of a predator whereby hogan oozes dribbling talent. The boys got talent
Grant or Hogan? on 21:47 - Aug 18 with 4433 viewsChaffRAFC

Given we've seen Hogan for 4 competitive games, it's unfair to compare the two but Hogan is a very exciting player and if he continues impressing as he has, we could end up making a lot of money from him. His goal yesterday was very McCourt like and he has pace to burn as well as skill on the ball and an eye for goal.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Grant or Hogan? on 23:02 - Aug 18 with 4327 viewsolympicdale

Grant or Hogan? on 20:41 - Aug 18 by AtThePeake

Let's hope we can sell him for more than what we sold Grant for eh OD?

we better do, or Dunphy out!

Life is a game of fate.

Grant or Hogan? on 09:01 - Aug 19 with 4175 viewssweetcorn

In my opinion it's a little early to start comparing the two, Hogan has only played 4 games for the dale, admittedly, he's been rather impressive but I also think he's playing in a much better side, under a much better manager with other players like Henderson to share the burden, whereas Bobby last year for the first half of the season was the be all and end all of our attack.

Bobby had an amazing left foot and a fire which tends to make players into the talent they are (see rooney, etc.). Scored tons of goals for us and was a constant threat.

If Hogan carries on in the same vein then he's probably going to be a better player, but at the moment it has to be Bobby.

The question i'm asking is imagine our line up if Bobby had stayed. God damn, it would be the finest attacking unit in the division. It's not far off now tbh.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Grant or Hogan? on 09:10 - Aug 19 with 4163 viewsColDale

Talented as he is, Grant was something of a one trick pony. Admittedly he was very good at that one trick, but there's only so many times that clubs will fall for that shifting his defender to the right before curling it towards the top corner with his left foot. And all the baggage that comes with Grant makes the choice between the two very easy. In Hogan, we have a talented young lad, with bags of potential but just as important, he has the desire, hunger and team ethic for Keith Hill to work his magic.
Grant or Hogan? on 09:13 - Aug 19 with 4155 viewsrkershaw

Grant or Hogan? on 20:45 - Aug 18 by Birchy915

I think Hogan is the real deal. Pace, tricky, great touch, balance, and awareness. Oh and that vital ingredient for a striker.... devilment. As others have posted he needs a quality partner to hold the ball up for him so Donnelly has some work to do but its early days and I believe the partnership will improve with time on the pitch.
I don't think there will be many central defenders looking forward to playing against Hogan and I imagine a few will try to slow him down by fair means or foul, unlike short tempered Mr.Grant I think Hogan will be delighted to have goons trying to stop him and his response will be to let his talent do the talking. The lad has a very bright future.

Including the friendlies hogan must already be approaching double figures. His adjustment to league football has been very impressive indeed. I think you will see him score different kinds of goals as he appears slightly more direct than bobby and has more of a physical presence about him. He could well go on to score 20 plus goals in his first league season which could be very embarrassing for those fans who scoffed when hilly announced his signing as a major coup for the club- myself included!
Grant or Hogan? on 09:16 - Aug 19 with 4157 viewsTalkingSutty

Grant or Hogan? on 09:01 - Aug 19 by sweetcorn

In my opinion it's a little early to start comparing the two, Hogan has only played 4 games for the dale, admittedly, he's been rather impressive but I also think he's playing in a much better side, under a much better manager with other players like Henderson to share the burden, whereas Bobby last year for the first half of the season was the be all and end all of our attack.

Bobby had an amazing left foot and a fire which tends to make players into the talent they are (see rooney, etc.). Scored tons of goals for us and was a constant threat.

If Hogan carries on in the same vein then he's probably going to be a better player, but at the moment it has to be Bobby.

The question i'm asking is imagine our line up if Bobby had stayed. God damn, it would be the finest attacking unit in the division. It's not far off now tbh.

I actually think our attack is our weakest link in the team, when you look at the bench we dont have much there. Done came on as substitute and by now he should be match fit but am i the only one who is expecting a little bit more from him ?

In an ideal world Hilly wants everybody contributing on the goalfront but i dont see that happening. I havent seen our cente halves win a ball in the opposition penalty box yet and although Done and Vincenti might chip in with the odd goal, Tutte is struggling to catch the side and Cavanagh wont get into the positions to score.

If Hilly can find an experienced target man (Rene Howe type) and slot Bennett in at right back then we have all bases covered i reckon. I wouldnt discount Rafferty but Bennett gives us a few more options with his height.
Grant or Hogan? on 09:16 - Aug 19 with 4153 viewsrkershaw

Grant or Hogan? on 09:13 - Aug 19 by rkershaw

Including the friendlies hogan must already be approaching double figures. His adjustment to league football has been very impressive indeed. I think you will see him score different kinds of goals as he appears slightly more direct than bobby and has more of a physical presence about him. He could well go on to score 20 plus goals in his first league season which could be very embarrassing for those fans who scoffed when hilly announced his signing as a major coup for the club- myself included!

He reminds me of ex Aston villa player Alan Thomson in looks and style of play!!
Grant or Hogan? on 11:42 - Aug 19 with 4085 viewsdale4ever

Hogan is 80/1 for league two top scorer on bet 365! Surely worth a couple of quid?
Grant or Hogan? on 11:55 - Aug 19 with 4070 viewsTVOS1907

Grant or Hogan? on 11:42 - Aug 19 by dale4ever

Hogan is 80/1 for league two top scorer on bet 365! Surely worth a couple of quid?

Are you Accy's Chief Exec?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Grant or Hogan? on 12:17 - Aug 19 with 4035 viewsdale4ever

Grant or Hogan? on 11:55 - Aug 19 by TVOS1907

Are you Accy's Chief Exec?

No comment ;)
Grant or Hogan? on 13:00 - Aug 19 with 3979 viewsAtThePeake

Grant or Hogan? on 09:16 - Aug 19 by TalkingSutty

I actually think our attack is our weakest link in the team, when you look at the bench we dont have much there. Done came on as substitute and by now he should be match fit but am i the only one who is expecting a little bit more from him ?

In an ideal world Hilly wants everybody contributing on the goalfront but i dont see that happening. I havent seen our cente halves win a ball in the opposition penalty box yet and although Done and Vincenti might chip in with the odd goal, Tutte is struggling to catch the side and Cavanagh wont get into the positions to score.

If Hilly can find an experienced target man (Rene Howe type) and slot Bennett in at right back then we have all bases covered i reckon. I wouldnt discount Rafferty but Bennett gives us a few more options with his height.

I see where you're coming from here TS.

After their equaliser on Saturday, we started to stagnate and looking at the bench the only player you really felt could come on and change things going forward was Done. I think it's too early to be relying on Allen/Logan/Bunney etc. to come and change a game in that sort of situation.

I definitely feel we need one more player up there - a proper centre forward though.

Tangled up in blue.

Grant or Hogan? on 13:28 - Aug 19 with 3929 viewsD_Alien

When you look at the frontmen Hilly has had at Dale (Murray, Dagnall, COG etc) I've every confidence that he knows Donnelly doesn't quite match up to the standard he'd like.

We're not in a position to go out and offer a fee for the required standard, nor pay the wages on a long-term contract of any free agents at that level. What KH is almost certainly thinking about is giving Donnelly every chance between now and the end of the transfer window, then making a move in the loan market.

Patience is a virtue.

[Post edited 19 Aug 2013 13:32]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Grant or Hogan? on 13:33 - Aug 19 with 3916 viewsTalkingSutty

Grant or Hogan? on 13:00 - Aug 19 by AtThePeake

I see where you're coming from here TS.

After their equaliser on Saturday, we started to stagnate and looking at the bench the only player you really felt could come on and change things going forward was Done. I think it's too early to be relying on Allen/Logan/Bunney etc. to come and change a game in that sort of situation.

I definitely feel we need one more player up there - a proper centre forward though.

Yes, my post isnt a slur on the lads on the bench but all of them are untried and raw at this level. At any time Donnelly or Hogan could pick up an injury and then we have a problem.

Having a targetman often comes in handy when playing away from home,they can hold up the ball etc and take the pressure of the defence at times. Neither Donnelly or Hogan have the physical capability to do that role against big strong central defenders.

Anyway,Hilly isnt a fool he knows better than any of us what is required and i wouldnt be surprised if he is already looking to bring in another forward over the next few weeks.
Grant or Hogan? on 21:36 - Aug 19 with 3690 viewsShun

At the moment, Grant. Hogan's impressed in all 3 league games but it's far too early to say whether he'll keep up the good scoring record that was one of Grant's biggest fortes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024