Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Congratulations To Hilly’s Men? 13:06 - Apr 28 with 2388 viewsmikehunt

Playing devil’s advocate a bit here but just bear with me:
So what do we reckon? These are Keef’s recruits. So what the heck happened? It seems to suggest that the players were not buying into Hill’s philosophy (to put it kindly). A point emphasised by the number of kids he wound up including in his teams: suggesting to me that they were the only players willing to play for him (my speculation only).
The transformation under BBM is staggering and credit to the board for their brave decisions. I said at the time Hill had to go whilst there were still enough games left to get us out of trouble. My wildest dreams have been exceeded and this has been a more miraculous survival than last season (when we had all those games in hand).
Now, people are suggesting that BBM’s next challenge will be how he recruits. I am putting two and two together to make five but, looking at all the Irish lads we have, might he have had a hand in recruitment already?
I am absolutely ecstatic that we have stayed in this division and hope we can cement ourselves into this division for a long spell. Well done all at t’Dale.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Congratulations To Hilly’s Men? on 18:44 - Apr 28 with 2022 viewsdalelee

Now that we can reflect, I think the timing of Hill's departure was perfect. We gave him as much time as reasonably possible to turn the season round. Probably a bit longer than you would expect, understandable considering his fantastic record at this club. It got to the stage where we had to act.
I was sorry to see Hill go, and the fear for me was that the club was on a downward spiral. I was expecting similar to the last time Keith went and the awful performances under Eyre.
BBM has made all the right choices so far. How we replace our loanees will be key. And hopefully a decent keeper as cover for Josh!
Congratulations To Hilly’s Men? on 19:16 - Apr 28 with 1959 viewsfitzochris

Congratulations To Hilly’s Men? on 18:44 - Apr 28 by dalelee

Now that we can reflect, I think the timing of Hill's departure was perfect. We gave him as much time as reasonably possible to turn the season round. Probably a bit longer than you would expect, understandable considering his fantastic record at this club. It got to the stage where we had to act.
I was sorry to see Hill go, and the fear for me was that the club was on a downward spiral. I was expecting similar to the last time Keith went and the awful performances under Eyre.
BBM has made all the right choices so far. How we replace our loanees will be key. And hopefully a decent keeper as cover for Josh!

BBM knows who he wants to retain, release and sign, but will the board back him and will he stand up to them if required?

I hope the answer is yes to both questions.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Congratulations To Hilly’s Men? on 19:27 - Apr 28 with 1928 viewsD_Alien

Congratulations To Hilly’s Men? on 19:16 - Apr 28 by fitzochris

BBM knows who he wants to retain, release and sign, but will the board back him and will he stand up to them if required?

I hope the answer is yes to both questions.

He'll have been made aware of a budget for transfers/wages when he took on the job; in fact, he'll likely have been aware of it from well before that, although it might've changed

Providing he keeps within that framework, there'd be no reason for the board not to back him. If he tries to add to the squad in a way that breaks that framework, presumably the board won't back him and they'd probably be right not to do so (unless exceptional circumstances applied). So he'd have no reason to have to stand up to them

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Congratulations To Hilly’s Men? on 20:04 - Apr 28 with 1847 viewsfitzochris

Congratulations To Hilly’s Men? on 19:27 - Apr 28 by D_Alien

He'll have been made aware of a budget for transfers/wages when he took on the job; in fact, he'll likely have been aware of it from well before that, although it might've changed

Providing he keeps within that framework, there'd be no reason for the board not to back him. If he tries to add to the squad in a way that breaks that framework, presumably the board won't back him and they'd probably be right not to do so (unless exceptional circumstances applied). So he'd have no reason to have to stand up to them

We all know that’s not how things work in the real world.

People sometimes go above the manager’s head and attempt to sign goalkeepers and suchlike.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Congratulations To Hilly’s Men? on 20:31 - Apr 28 with 1758 viewsD_Alien

Congratulations To Hilly’s Men? on 20:04 - Apr 28 by fitzochris

We all know that’s not how things work in the real world.

People sometimes go above the manager’s head and attempt to sign goalkeepers and suchlike.

In the real world, young ex-players new to management will keep to the terms of the job description, at least until they have their feet more firmly under the table

BBM's in no position to start trying to dictate terms like his predecessor, especially with a very strong personality to contend with at board level. But to be fair, i doubt he'll feel the need to, unless we have no goalkeepers at all!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Congratulations To Hilly’s Men? on 22:28 - Apr 28 with 1554 viewsboromat

I actually think BBM has been instrumental in our recruitment over the last few seasons. Especially with the Irish contingent, so maybe it's more BBMs men than we think.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Congratulations To Hilly’s Men? on 13:25 - Apr 29 with 1177 viewspioneer

Congratulations To Hilly’s Men? on 18:44 - Apr 28 by dalelee

I dontthink many were sorry to see him gobut perhaps all of us were sorry that it ended the way itdid. After several years of no fear football that was a joy to watch, and brought much success it started to be very hard to watch. Not clear what led to this change, but the consequences were blamed on small budgets and a fan base that was unappreciative. He had only ever had a small budget here so it was clearly an excuse not an explanation.

Why would any club with a small budget think of employing him if he has indicated that it stopped him from achieving success?

It would be nice to think hecould convince a club he could bring back his no fear football for them but its difficult to see it happening. I wish him all tne best and hope he can get backto his old self but he is a complex character.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024