Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? 09:47 - May 9 with 647 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

I'll kick it off with 'The Thirty Years War' (1618-1648)

Anything that reduces the power of the Catholic church is a winner in my book!
Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 10:04 - May 9 with 631 viewsbaroniser

I think the crusades are worth a mention, seeing as there was around 9 of them in total (not to mention the smaller crusades). Plus, they had the knights templar back in those days, they had more power than the pope, till he had them all killed.
Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 10:19 - May 9 with 620 viewsD_Alien

I'll go for the wars fought by Mohammed (peace be upon him) against his enemies during the period when Islam was established.

Dunno why.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 10:22 - May 9 with 615 viewsjudd

Probably Dave Allen's, or the co-writers of Father Ted.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 10:29 - May 9 with 610 viewsheywooddale

I'll go with every Old Firm game.

To quote Frankie Boyle
"How dare Al Qaeda try to bring religious war to Glasgow? What were they thinking? They don't even have a football team"
Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 10:46 - May 9 with 594 viewselectricblue

I think that there is only one worth a mention in the entire aA~$£S of history..
The home internationals bring on the jocks..
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 10:56 - May 9 with 579 viewsD_Alien

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 10:46 - May 9 by electricblue

I think that there is only one worth a mention in the entire aA~$£S of history..

Anals of history?

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 11:10 - May 9 with 564 viewselectricblue

Ive said anals did i i wanted to keep away from that word as we all know how twisted things get on here..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 11:23 - May 9 with 552 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 10:46 - May 9 by electricblue

Hardly a religious war!! stick to the subject topic :-)
Login to get fewer ads

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 11:29 - May 9 with 547 viewsD_Alien

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 11:10 - May 9 by electricblue

Ive said anals did i i wanted to keep away from that word as we all know how twisted things get on here..

Looking back at the annals of this messageboard, I think you're probably correct.

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 16:23 - May 9 with 442 viewswimborne_dale

Richard Dawkins against anybody who even vaguely suspects that God might just possibly exist. A war devised by Dawkins for Dawkins (to sell books).

Edgar Allan's Crow

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 18:00 - May 10 with 358 viewsVespa

The 'Troubles' in Ulster. Not sure it was a religious war, most of the Catholics didn't really live up to Catholic ideals and most of the Protestants didn't live up to Protestant ideals. Still it kept me in a job for a while.

Up the Dale, C'mon Hornets

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 21:15 - May 10 with 313 viewsizzitme

It's actually taking place at the mo. Christianity v Islam v Secularism.
"Anything that reduces the power of the Catholic Church is a winner in my book"?
The Catholic church is not about power. It's about truth. A lasting set of values from it's inception till the end of time.
"And upon this rock (St Peter, the 1st Pope), I will build my Church, and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it". Christ's words.
The very word catholic means "universal". And so it is that the Catholic Church continues to thrive throughout the world against the odds, and now especially in developing Nations. I love to travel and I have, as yet, not failed to find a Catholic Church within a 3 mile radius.(China excepted).
Yes, it relies on individuals like all organisations, and it has been found wanting on certain issues due to human nature of some. But the consensus remains in tact. The one true Christian Church worldwide. And so it will remain till the end of time.
Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 09:06 - May 11 with 284 viewswimborne_dale

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 21:15 - May 10 by izzitme

It's actually taking place at the mo. Christianity v Islam v Secularism.
"Anything that reduces the power of the Catholic Church is a winner in my book"?
The Catholic church is not about power. It's about truth. A lasting set of values from it's inception till the end of time.
"And upon this rock (St Peter, the 1st Pope), I will build my Church, and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it". Christ's words.
The very word catholic means "universal". And so it is that the Catholic Church continues to thrive throughout the world against the odds, and now especially in developing Nations. I love to travel and I have, as yet, not failed to find a Catholic Church within a 3 mile radius.(China excepted).
Yes, it relies on individuals like all organisations, and it has been found wanting on certain issues due to human nature of some. But the consensus remains in tact. The one true Christian Church worldwide. And so it will remain till the end of time.

"The Catholic church is not about power. It's about truth". Assuming you mean the Roman Catholic church, then why has it made up so many things? Fake relics, saints that it knew never existed but was happy to allow people to pray to. It wasn't very keen on the truth when children were being habitually raped by its priests.
I have no doubt that there are many genuine, god-loving christians within the Catholic Church but to claim it is "The one true Christian Church" doesn't bear historical scrutiny or contemporary analysis.

Edgar Allan's Crow

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 09:32 - May 11 with 280 viewsD_Alien

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 09:06 - May 11 by wimborne_dale

"The Catholic church is not about power. It's about truth". Assuming you mean the Roman Catholic church, then why has it made up so many things? Fake relics, saints that it knew never existed but was happy to allow people to pray to. It wasn't very keen on the truth when children were being habitually raped by its priests.
I have no doubt that there are many genuine, god-loving christians within the Catholic Church but to claim it is "The one true Christian Church" doesn't bear historical scrutiny or contemporary analysis.

izzitme's post explains an awful lot about him, if nothing else

Maybe Dawkins has a point.

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 09:39 - May 11 with 276 viewsfitzochris

I went to a catholic school and so received catholic teaching. I found this to be archaic, and riddled with exclusion, bigotry and hypocrisy. Now living in the west of Scotland, I realise the other side of the coin is just as bad.

That's why I consider myself a humanist. If you're nice to me and mine, I'll be nice to you — no matter what your colour, creed or religion.

It's done me alright so far...

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 11:51 - May 11 with 256 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 09:39 - May 11 by fitzochris

I went to a catholic school and so received catholic teaching. I found this to be archaic, and riddled with exclusion, bigotry and hypocrisy. Now living in the west of Scotland, I realise the other side of the coin is just as bad.

That's why I consider myself a humanist. If you're nice to me and mine, I'll be nice to you — no matter what your colour, creed or religion.

It's done me alright so far...

Have you put in a claim for sexual abuse..? Worth a shot....bit like claiming back mis-sold PPI...!!
Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 12:31 - May 11 with 243 viewsrod_leach

""And upon this rock (St Peter, the 1st Pope), I will build my Church, and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it". Christ's words."

Jesus didn't actually say that St Peter was the rock on which he would build the Church. Peter had just professed his faith that Jesus was the Son of God, and Jesus was saying that it is upon faith in Him the church will be built. The greek text text uses a different word for rock (Petra = Rock) and Peter (Petros = pebble). The faith of many pebbles makes the rock on which the church will be built.
Don't believe a word of it myself, I've got to say.
Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 13:24 - May 11 with 224 viewsfitzochris

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 11:51 - May 11 by Albert_Whitehurst

Have you put in a claim for sexual abuse..? Worth a shot....bit like claiming back mis-sold PPI...!!

So long as I don't have to have someone rummage about up my arse in an attempt to verify the claim...

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 15:38 - May 11 with 208 viewsD_Alien

Which is your favourite religious war or all time..? on 13:24 - May 11 by fitzochris

So long as I don't have to have someone rummage about up my arse in an attempt to verify the claim...

You mean to say you didn't keep the 30-odd year old underpants?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024