Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Game in doubt? 15:08 - Feb 5 with 31469 viewsolympicdale

or as a precaution given Orients long travelling distance.

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/pitch-inspection-planned-2249986.aspx

Life is a game of fate.

Game in doubt? on 15:11 - Feb 5 with 23741 viewstazzydjr

It'll be first proper called off Match at the Fortress if its "in doubt" but i have faith that we'll be watching the O's get tanned again this weekend

UP THE DALE

TEAM ROCHDALE

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

Game in doubt? on 15:20 - Feb 5 with 23704 viewsfitzochris

Christ. I've made special arrangements in order to attend this one. It better be on.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Game in doubt? on 15:38 - Feb 5 with 23615 viewsYorkshire_Dale

It's barmy over in Yarkshire today......can someone get the sausage on lawn test set up in OL11 please?

It's GOT TO BE ON!
Game in doubt? on 15:50 - Feb 5 with 23572 views_dezzy

Did they not put the covers back on after the stoke game, This has surprised me, I didn't think there was any danger with covers on.

KHBA

Game in doubt? on 16:15 - Feb 5 with 23453 viewsPDIDDY

Game in doubt? on 15:11 - Feb 5 by tazzydjr

It'll be first proper called off Match at the Fortress if its "in doubt" but i have faith that we'll be watching the O's get tanned again this weekend

UP THE DALE

TEAM ROCHDALE

The o's getting tanned? it's not gonna be that hot tazzy

Gissa job

Game in doubt? on 16:24 - Feb 5 with 23429 viewsToffeemanc

If the pitch is frozen maybe we could take a leaf out of Bury's book and GRIT the pitch.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Game in doubt? on 16:25 - Feb 5 with 23423 viewsolympicdale

Game in doubt? on 15:50 - Feb 5 by _dezzy

Did they not put the covers back on after the stoke game, This has surprised me, I didn't think there was any danger with covers on.

I'm sure there was a call to supporters to help put the covers back on, not expected to freeze tonight, in fact it looks more like raining.

Life is a game of fate.

Game in doubt? on 16:52 - Feb 5 with 23312 viewsrafc1977

No covers down anywhere on the pitch, which given the forecasts and weather we've had since stoke is rather silly. It would be interesting to know why the pitch hasn't been protected given the cold snap alluded to on the OS.
Login to get fewer ads

Game in doubt? on 17:11 - Feb 5 with 23234 views442Dale

Details on the covers:

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/pitch-covers-statement-759301.aspx

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/trust-newcovers-1225645.aspx

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Game in doubt? on 17:23 - Feb 5 with 23192 viewsolympicdale

Game in doubt? on 16:52 - Feb 5 by rafc1977

No covers down anywhere on the pitch, which given the forecasts and weather we've had since stoke is rather silly. It would be interesting to know why the pitch hasn't been protected given the cold snap alluded to on the OS.

I would be astonished if there was no covers down since the Stoke game, given last weeks temperatures, perhaps they were off now for the inspection tomorrow.

perhaps big Calv is injured and we can't bear to go ahead with it without him.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2015 17:25]

Life is a game of fate.

Game in doubt? on 17:26 - Feb 5 with 23172 viewsDomDale

Game in doubt? on 17:23 - Feb 5 by olympicdale

I would be astonished if there was no covers down since the Stoke game, given last weeks temperatures, perhaps they were off now for the inspection tomorrow.

perhaps big Calv is injured and we can't bear to go ahead with it without him.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2015 17:25]

We're not Oldham

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Game in doubt? on 17:33 - Feb 5 with 23136 views442Dale

Not sure there can be too much concern as the Met Office do not expect temperatures to drop below zero.

Could the Trust confirm whether their covers have been used this week and are on tonight ahead of the inspection?

Game in doubt? on 17:53 - Feb 5 with 23056 viewspcolly

Game in doubt? on 17:33 - Feb 5 by 442Dale

Not sure there can be too much concern as the Met Office do not expect temperatures to drop below zero.

Could the Trust confirm whether their covers have been used this week and are on tonight ahead of the inspection?

I have no idea if the covers have been down or not. However, I would imagine you can't just cover a pitch for weeks on end and expect it to survive? They will have been put down before Crawley, it was covered after the game til Stoke, if it was covered again it would be approaching 4 weeks of being covered. I know if I covered my lawn at home for 4 weeks it would be dead!
Also the covers seem effective against short spells of frost but prolonged periods can prove penetratable. I'm guessing that in front of the stand it will have been sub zero for days. If covers could protect against the temperatures we've had both day and night recently clubs wouldn't go to the expense of installing and running under soil heating.
Game in doubt? on 18:05 - Feb 5 with 23010 viewsDalenet

Game in doubt? on 17:53 - Feb 5 by pcolly

I have no idea if the covers have been down or not. However, I would imagine you can't just cover a pitch for weeks on end and expect it to survive? They will have been put down before Crawley, it was covered after the game til Stoke, if it was covered again it would be approaching 4 weeks of being covered. I know if I covered my lawn at home for 4 weeks it would be dead!
Also the covers seem effective against short spells of frost but prolonged periods can prove penetratable. I'm guessing that in front of the stand it will have been sub zero for days. If covers could protect against the temperatures we've had both day and night recently clubs wouldn't go to the expense of installing and running under soil heating.

Agreed that main stand will have been a problem. But surely with two days to go they could do something about it (industrial heaters) rather than put it back and create a fixture backlog.

Hope it is on - otherwise that is a hotel bill I can't cancel
Game in doubt? on 18:08 - Feb 5 with 22997 views442Dale

Game in doubt? on 17:53 - Feb 5 by pcolly

The roll-on covers (are that's the double-skinned ones? See the links above) can be put on reasonably quickly each evening, presumably that is an option to protect certain areas of the pitch from when the frost is worse at night? If this took place we've done all we can and we need to establish what temperatures those covers protect against and whether it would be worth having them for the entire pitch. Some of the other covers (the green mesh-like ones) weren't in the best of states when we were helping put them on the pitch after Christmas so maybe this is something to look at to help eradicate doubts 48 hours before games take place.

Again though, can't see why there's much of a problem - my garden, which still has bits of frozen snow on top, is soft underneath. It's drizzling now as well which means I hope to stage a festival out there on Sunday. Please book an apartment should you wish to attend.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2015 19:02]

Game in doubt? on 18:17 - Feb 5 with 22939 viewspcolly

Game in doubt? on 18:08 - Feb 5 by 442Dale

The roll-on covers (are that's the double-skinned ones? See the links above) can be put on reasonably quickly each evening, presumably that is an option to protect certain areas of the pitch from when the frost is worse at night? If this took place we've done all we can and we need to establish what temperatures those covers protect against and whether it would be worth having them for the entire pitch. Some of the other covers (the green mesh-like ones) weren't in the best of states when we were helping put them on the pitch after Christmas so maybe this is something to look at to help eradicate doubts 48 hours before games take place.

Again though, can't see why there's much of a problem - my garden, which still has bits of frozen snow on top, is soft underneath. It's drizzling now as well which means I hope to stage a festival out there on Sunday. Please book an apartment should you wish to attend.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2015 19:02]

If the area in front of the main stand does not get above freezing during the day then you can't take them off surely?

And we can't compare the pitch to anyone's garden....the two surfaces are just not comparable. A garden full of grass will not freeze the same as a worn area under a stand.
Game in doubt? on 18:30 - Feb 5 with 22881 views442Dale

Game in doubt? on 18:17 - Feb 5 by pcolly

If the area in front of the main stand does not get above freezing during the day then you can't take them off surely?

And we can't compare the pitch to anyone's garden....the two surfaces are just not comparable. A garden full of grass will not freeze the same as a worn area under a stand.

Honestly don't know. That's why I asked if it was an option to stick them on at night to try and limit the prolonged periods when the frost can get into the ground. This is one of the issues, supporters don't know enough about the subject outside what we're told. As the links above illustrate, covers were purchased to help eradicate issues with cold weather - that we know. Today we hear there's a pitch inspection the day before a game due to the recent cold snap. People are just wondering what's happened, and I'm sure it can be explained by those involved to benefit fans and make them more aware of what goes on in these situations should a similar cold snap occur in the future.

The point about using another piece of grass as an example was that it's getting softer because of the light rain. Hopefully that's happening at Spotland too. But they better not think about staging a rival concert because the Thompson Twins and Jimmy Nail are already booked.

Game in doubt? on 18:42 - Feb 5 with 22833 viewspnc4eva1

Game in doubt? on 16:24 - Feb 5 by Toffeemanc

If the pitch is frozen maybe we could take a leaf out of Bury's book and GRIT the pitch.

did you mean shit the pitch

up the dale
Poll: Are these polls getting tedious

Game in doubt? on 18:55 - Feb 5 with 22784 viewsMoonyDale

The temp tonight is given as +1 rising to +5 tomorrow and for +2 tomorrow night, I will be amazed if it's called off..

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Game in doubt? on 18:57 - Feb 5 with 22770 viewsisitme

Game in doubt? on 18:55 - Feb 5 by MoonyDale

The temp tonight is given as +1 rising to +5 tomorrow and for +2 tomorrow night, I will be amazed if it's called off..

Agreed

I can see no reason why the game would be called off, unless there is a significant change on the weather tomorrow.
Game in doubt? on 18:59 - Feb 5 with 22750 viewsSuddenLad

I think it is simply a precaution, given the distance involved and the fact that Orient are due to travel tomorrow afternoon. If it's called off, they won't have to leave London.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Game in doubt? on 19:01 - Feb 5 with 22732 viewsArthurDaley

Game in doubt? on 18:30 - Feb 5 by 442Dale

Honestly don't know. That's why I asked if it was an option to stick them on at night to try and limit the prolonged periods when the frost can get into the ground. This is one of the issues, supporters don't know enough about the subject outside what we're told. As the links above illustrate, covers were purchased to help eradicate issues with cold weather - that we know. Today we hear there's a pitch inspection the day before a game due to the recent cold snap. People are just wondering what's happened, and I'm sure it can be explained by those involved to benefit fans and make them more aware of what goes on in these situations should a similar cold snap occur in the future.

The point about using another piece of grass as an example was that it's getting softer because of the light rain. Hopefully that's happening at Spotland too. But they better not think about staging a rival concert because the Thompson Twins and Jimmy Nail are already booked.

It will be a welcome return to buRy for Jimmy Nail, he did a couple of songs at buRy town hall in his early career.

A large VAT Dave

Game in doubt? on 19:52 - Feb 5 with 22568 viewsDomDale

Can't see this being off. As many have said, it's too "warm".

Look on the bright side. At least we're not Halifax. They have to play Saturdays game at Droylsden because their pitch is fooked again & have only told fans tonight. Are we looking at having to host them again this season?

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Game in doubt? on 20:10 - Feb 5 with 22502 viewsdeeplishblue

Perhaps we should use the Done money to underwrite orient's expenses. Even if the pitch is firm tomorrow I would be amazed if it's unplayable on Saturday.

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Game in doubt? on 20:55 - Feb 5 with 22363 views442Dale

Rochdale 3 hourly temperature breakdown for the next couple of days (as per Met Office):

Friday
00.00: 2
3am: 1
6am: 0
9am: 1
12noon: 4
3pm: 5
6pm: 4
9pm: 4

Saturday
0.00: 3
3am: 3