Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The first six games for me in numbers 18:03 - Sep 9 with 3267 viewsRAFCBLUE

1) 35 days into the league season plus 2 cup games
2) 24 different players used - indicates to me Hill do not know his strongest side
3) I've picked at least 4 different formations from the games I've seen; not sure what we were trying today
4) Only 1 ever present - McNulty
5) Three (I think) different captains
6) 9 league goals conceded - could have been more
7) 3 league goals scored - a big big worry.

The next six days will shape this season - by next Saturday we are one sixth of the way through the season.

Doncaster at home is a must win. Pick the best attacking players in the best formation we know : 4-4-2. MK Dons away - clean sheet is the focus; just as we managed at Southend.

We need to get men in the opponents penalty area, we need to shoot at goal.

Hill said he thought this squad has 70 league goals in it. For the life of me I can't currently see where from.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2017 18:07]

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

The first six games for me in numbers on 18:14 - Sep 9 with 2618 viewsTVOS1907

Regarding point 2, we have been hit by a large number of injuries, illness and suspensions (both self-inflicted), so it's often been a case of use what we've got.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

The first six games for me in numbers on 18:51 - Sep 9 with 2505 viewsRAFCBLUE

The first six games for me in numbers on 18:14 - Sep 9 by TVOS1907

Regarding point 2, we have been hit by a large number of injuries, illness and suspensions (both self-inflicted), so it's often been a case of use what we've got.

Possibly.

I think illness, injury and suspensions only work as an explanation to a point.

I can't put my finger on what's the issue/s is/are but the Keane absence, Inman cameos and Canavan and Rafferty dropped today don't make complete sense.

It's a feeling over eight games that makes me uneasy; not just today.

I don't know how many shots on and off target we have had in 6 league games but it feels like a number under 20!

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

The first six games for me in numbers on 18:54 - Sep 9 with 2491 views442Dale

Where is Keith Keane?

On the bench v Bury, not in the squad since.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The first six games for me in numbers on 18:56 - Sep 9 with 2486 viewsblackdogblue

Here's a number, 1 open goal in 6 league games!!!! Ps McNulty didn't play at Stoke?

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

The first six games for me in numbers on 19:06 - Sep 9 with 2432 viewsTVOS1907

The first six games for me in numbers on 18:51 - Sep 9 by RAFCBLUE

Possibly.

I think illness, injury and suspensions only work as an explanation to a point.

I can't put my finger on what's the issue/s is/are but the Keane absence, Inman cameos and Canavan and Rafferty dropped today don't make complete sense.

It's a feeling over eight games that makes me uneasy; not just today.

I don't know how many shots on and off target we have had in 6 league games but it feels like a number under 20!

I wasn't disagreeing with your prognosis in the main, but mentioning that selection hasn't been that straightforward at times.

The first six games for me in numbers on 19:11 - Sep 9 with 2407 viewsdingdangblue

The first six games for me in numbers on 18:56 - Sep 9 by blackdogblue

Here's a number, 1 open goal in 6 league games!!!! Ps McNulty didn't play at Stoke?

I think 'the first six games' means league games so that's why McNulty is ever present.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

The first six games for me in numbers on 19:24 - Sep 9 with 2356 viewsRAFCBLUE

The first six games for me in numbers on 19:06 - Sep 9 by TVOS1907

I wasn't disagreeing with your prognosis in the main, but mentioning that selection hasn't been that straightforward at times.

Do you know the number of players used in the first six league games last season?

That was a bad start too and would provide an interesting comparison.

The first six games for me in numbers on 20:13 - Sep 9 with 2241 viewsscarrow

Not excusing today in which the second half performance was poor but we haven't fielded a full strength team as yet.

What's more concerning is no goal from open play. From corner and 2 pens

Poll: Final position

Login to get fewer ads

The first six games for me in numbers on 07:50 - Sep 10 with 1979 viewsRAFCBLUE

The first six games for me in numbers on 20:13 - Sep 9 by scarrow

Not excusing today in which the second half performance was poor but we haven't fielded a full strength team as yet.

What's more concerning is no goal from open play. From corner and 2 pens

What is our "full strength team"?

I'm assuming Hill is picking the best team he believes available but there are either some perplexing decisions being made or some issue that need explaining.

We missed Harrison Magahey for an early few games; his reappearance coincided with Keith Keane's disappearance and Keane hasn't been seen or heard from since. Joe Rafferty and Niall Canavan dropped to the bench yesterday; Raffery has been in every defence where we've kept a clean sheet and Canavan has been there 2 from 3.

On paper, with everyone fit and not suspended and playing 4-1-4-1 (our most successful formation) our best team is:

Lillis
Rafferty; McGahey, Canavan, McNulty
Keane
Henderson; Camps; Williams (12); Williams (11)
Davies or Done

For yesterday that would mean we didn't have yesterday Henderson (suspended) and Camps (injured)

Lillis, Rafferty, Canavan and Keane are all manager choices and unless explained elsewhere where available for selection.

The first six games for me in numbers on 08:02 - Sep 10 with 1958 viewsD_Alien

The first six games for me in numbers on 07:50 - Sep 10 by RAFCBLUE

What is our "full strength team"?

I'm assuming Hill is picking the best team he believes available but there are either some perplexing decisions being made or some issue that need explaining.

We missed Harrison Magahey for an early few games; his reappearance coincided with Keith Keane's disappearance and Keane hasn't been seen or heard from since. Joe Rafferty and Niall Canavan dropped to the bench yesterday; Raffery has been in every defence where we've kept a clean sheet and Canavan has been there 2 from 3.

On paper, with everyone fit and not suspended and playing 4-1-4-1 (our most successful formation) our best team is:

Lillis
Rafferty; McGahey, Canavan, McNulty
Keane
Henderson; Camps; Williams (12); Williams (11)
Davies or Done

For yesterday that would mean we didn't have yesterday Henderson (suspended) and Camps (injured)

Lillis, Rafferty, Canavan and Keane are all manager choices and unless explained elsewhere where available for selection.

Bunney, Andrew, Rathbone?

Our best team 'might be', not 'is'

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The first six games for me in numbers on 08:16 - Sep 10 with 1898 viewsRAFCBLUE

The first six games for me in numbers on 08:02 - Sep 10 by D_Alien

Bunney, Andrew, Rathbone?

Our best team 'might be', not 'is'

"Is" is IMHO of course. Others will have their preferences which are equally valid.

Bunney is not a starter for me in the formation I pick; he's not a defender in my view. We got lucky with him at left back last year and tried him there yesterday ahead of Kosi and McNulty (definite defenders)

I picked Keane ahead of Rathbone for Keane's significant experience - Olly is going to be a good player.

Andrew is an impact sub for me and not a starter ahead of Davies, Henderson or Done.

My point is more about current manager choices. I don't think he is picking a consistent team when he could do or explain why he is choosing not to or is unable to do so.

The first six games for me in numbers on 08:29 - Sep 10 with 1870 viewsD_Alien

The first six games for me in numbers on 08:16 - Sep 10 by RAFCBLUE

"Is" is IMHO of course. Others will have their preferences which are equally valid.

Bunney is not a starter for me in the formation I pick; he's not a defender in my view. We got lucky with him at left back last year and tried him there yesterday ahead of Kosi and McNulty (definite defenders)

I picked Keane ahead of Rathbone for Keane's significant experience - Olly is going to be a good player.

Andrew is an impact sub for me and not a starter ahead of Davies, Henderson or Done.

My point is more about current manager choices. I don't think he is picking a consistent team when he could do or explain why he is choosing not to or is unable to do so.

Fair last point, and an 'interesting' perspective

But didn't you recommend 442 in your OP? Is Hilly's apparent uncertainty about his best team/formation catching?

The first six games for me in numbers on 08:39 - Sep 10 with 1850 viewsnordenblue

Going off yesterday's "performance" I'd be tempted to play Calvin before both Davies and Done
The first six games for me in numbers on 08:49 - Sep 10 with 1830 viewsRAFCBLUE

The first six games for me in numbers on 08:29 - Sep 10 by D_Alien

Fair last point, and an 'interesting' perspective

But didn't you recommend 442 in your OP? Is Hilly's apparent uncertainty about his best team/formation catching?

I did recommend 4-4-2. I've seen 4 of the 6 league games but wholly unsure on formation, before I get to think about which players play where. The only consistency I've seen is a back four but that's used two keepers and eight different defenders (Keane, Kosi, Rafferty, McNulty, Canavan, McGahey, Bunney, Donovan)

I'm not wedded to 4-4-2. 4-1-4-1 is our most successful formation at Leage 1 level. However from what I've seen players don't have the security of playing a set system. Knowing who does what counts.

Perhaps that's the problem? Maybe when the formation is eventually settled the players pick themselves if fit and the consistency comes naturally. I know they are all good players for this level.

When Hill first came in 2007, his biggest strength was keeping it so simple it was frightening and we attacked teams using simple tactics around running at defenders, moving the ball quickly and shooting when within 20 yards of goal.

Defensively it was sometimes suspect but on days where you score between 4 and 7 conceding 1 or 2 is accepted.

If this time next week we don't have a win on the board and with the transfer window locked, it will be a long hard winter.

The first six games for me in numbers on 10:58 - Sep 10 with 1693 viewsdingdangblue

Bunney is a definite starter 'for me'.
He was brilliant last season over a long period at fullback - that wasn't luck or a fluke - you are judging him on yesterday's performance? His first 90minutes since being injured for nearly 3 months?
He will only get fitter and better........in my opinion.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

The first six games for me in numbers on 11:45 - Sep 10 with 1632 viewsTVOS1907

The first six games for me in numbers on 19:24 - Sep 9 by RAFCBLUE

Do you know the number of players used in the first six league games last season?

That was a bad start too and would provide an interesting comparison.

Allen
Andrew
Bunney
Camps
Canavan
Cannon
Davies
Henderson
Lillis
Logan
Lund
McDermott
McGahey
McNulty
Mendez-Laing
Odelusi
Rafferty
Tanser
Thompson
Vincenti

The first six games for me in numbers on 13:27 - Sep 10 with 1540 viewsRAFCBLUE

The first six games for me in numbers on 10:58 - Sep 10 by dingdangblue

Bunney is a definite starter 'for me'.
He was brilliant last season over a long period at fullback - that wasn't luck or a fluke - you are judging him on yesterday's performance? His first 90minutes since being injured for nearly 3 months?
He will only get fitter and better........in my opinion.

I agree with you that Bunney didn't look 100% fit yesterday but that is again a manager's call and he will get fitter and better. Bunney also played at Shrewsbury (as a sub) so I assume he has been fit enough since then to be played.

Hill actively chose to change his back four that had kept a clean sheet at Southend and drop Canavan to the bench and play McNulty at centre back which meant he could pick Joe at left back yesterday.

Hill could have chosen to substitute Bunney at a point but didn't and we all saw Bunney get a torrid time over the course of the afternoon. No criticism of Joe's effort but he isn't a natural left back and nor was he fit enough to play there against one of the best teams in League 1. Most of their good play came down our left hand side and Joe was exposed.

By "lucky" - I meant Hill; he didn't have a first choice left back last season he trusted and still doesn't and last season's team was on the verge of a playoff place. We had the youth player from Stoke who didn't feature but HIll got by by playing Bunney and Andrew there and to an extent, had success with them both as stop gap solutions. Converting two attack minded players into left back cover worked but it was never supposed to be the long term solution. Hill has previous form here doing that with Done in a previous spell. Hill's only left back signed (Kosi) was dropped following errant displays of positioning at Portsmouth and Shrewsbury.

If we were serious about improving then improving last season's goals against column was the place to start.

Joe played 29 league games last season out of the 46. In those games we picked up 55 points (of 69) but let in 37 goals. If we are going to concede an average of 1.3 goals a game as a defence (not just for Joe) then that is a big concern this season. We are currently conceding 1.5 goals a game on a short run it looks pretty comparable to the problems of last season.

The left back position is a great example of the lack of clarity Hill has currently in that in six games we have had Bunney, Kosi and McNulty play at left back. On the current stats McNulty is our best left back but Bunney is probably the most proven, based on last season's efforts.

With two games in a week coming it will be interesting to see if Bunney keeps the shirt at left back or there is further tinkering.

The first six games for me in numbers on 13:39 - Sep 10 with 1516 viewsTVOS1907

The first six games for me in numbers on 13:27 - Sep 10 by RAFCBLUE

I agree with you that Bunney didn't look 100% fit yesterday but that is again a manager's call and he will get fitter and better. Bunney also played at Shrewsbury (as a sub) so I assume he has been fit enough since then to be played.

Hill actively chose to change his back four that had kept a clean sheet at Southend and drop Canavan to the bench and play McNulty at centre back which meant he could pick Joe at left back yesterday.

Hill could have chosen to substitute Bunney at a point but didn't and we all saw Bunney get a torrid time over the course of the afternoon. No criticism of Joe's effort but he isn't a natural left back and nor was he fit enough to play there against one of the best teams in League 1. Most of their good play came down our left hand side and Joe was exposed.

By "lucky" - I meant Hill; he didn't have a first choice left back last season he trusted and still doesn't and last season's team was on the verge of a playoff place. We had the youth player from Stoke who didn't feature but HIll got by by playing Bunney and Andrew there and to an extent, had success with them both as stop gap solutions. Converting two attack minded players into left back cover worked but it was never supposed to be the long term solution. Hill has previous form here doing that with Done in a previous spell. Hill's only left back signed (Kosi) was dropped following errant displays of positioning at Portsmouth and Shrewsbury.

If we were serious about improving then improving last season's goals against column was the place to start.

Joe played 29 league games last season out of the 46. In those games we picked up 55 points (of 69) but let in 37 goals. If we are going to concede an average of 1.3 goals a game as a defence (not just for Joe) then that is a big concern this season. We are currently conceding 1.5 goals a game on a short run it looks pretty comparable to the problems of last season.

The left back position is a great example of the lack of clarity Hill has currently in that in six games we have had Bunney, Kosi and McNulty play at left back. On the current stats McNulty is our best left back but Bunney is probably the most proven, based on last season's efforts.

With two games in a week coming it will be interesting to see if Bunney keeps the shirt at left back or there is further tinkering.

Ntlhe hasn't been dropped.

He started every game, before getting injured and substituted v Bury. Presumably, and in the absence of any information, he hasn't yet recovered from that injury.

The first six games for me in numbers on 13:40 - Sep 10 with 1512 viewsRAFCBLUE

The first six games for me in numbers on 11:45 - Sep 10 by TVOS1907

Allen
Andrew
Bunney
Camps
Canavan
Cannon
Davies
Henderson
Lillis
Logan
Lund
McDermott
McGahey
McNulty
Mendez-Laing
Odelusi
Rafferty
Tanser
Thompson
Vincenti

Thanks TVOS.

Whilst four more players have been used in these six games the most striking thing is the changes in quality and the number of games they've played for us.

Out are: Logan, Lund, McDermott, Mendez-Laing, Odelusi, Tanser, Thompson and VIncenti

New are: Brown, Daniels, Done, Gilliam, Inman, Keane, Kitchen, Kosi, Moore, Rathbone, Williams (11) and WIlliams (12).

Getting a settled side looks key. On a like for like basis after six games I think that Done covers what Mendez-Lang did and Keane, Kitchen and Rathbone replace Lund so its not as if we don't have the players to play the way we want to set up.

The first six games for me in numbers on 13:44 - Sep 10 with 1509 viewsD_Alien

I think you're wrong about Hill's assessment of Bunney. You state that Hill "doesn't trust" Bunney but - fitness issues apart, and he was rushed back against Shrewbury, leading to a setback in his fitness, precisely because we were missing him - Hill has publicly stated that last season Bunney was the best left back in the division. He wasn't just bigging him up either, it was based on evidence that was clear for all to see (well, i say all, but...)

And what is 'a natural left back'? One the most surprising but welcome features of Bunney's play at LB was his positional sense and his ability to get up and down the flank when fully fit, added to which his tackling (with those long limbs) was highly effective. Just because you haven't played that position since you were stuck there in junior school doesn't make it unnatural when it's tried - and yes, Hill did get lucky. So did Bunney, and so did we all (well, i say all, but...)

The first six games for me in numbers on 15:23 - Sep 10 with 1399 views442Dale

Looking specifically at the league games where Bunney played at left back - he didn't at Gillingham for example - the stats are quite staggering.

Won 17, drew 3, lost 4. 
54 points from 24 games (ave: 2.25 points per game)
Goals scored 46 (ave: 1.92 scored per game)
Goals against 27 (ave: 1.13 conceded per game)

Extrapolate that over a 46 game season and we would have 104 points, have scored 88 goals and conceded 52.

Might just sneak a play-off place.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 15:26]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The first six games for me in numbers on 15:32 - Sep 10 with 1379 viewsRAFCBLUE

The first six games for me in numbers on 13:39 - Sep 10 by TVOS1907

Ntlhe hasn't been dropped.

He started every game, before getting injured and substituted v Bury. Presumably, and in the absence of any information, he hasn't yet recovered from that injury.

Ntlhe was subbed at half time at Shrewsbury; he wasn't injured. The first half at Shrewsbury was a difficult one for our back line, including Ntlhe.

The injury vs bury was unfortunate but I don't think he's Hill's first choice; if Bunney is fit.

The first six games for me in numbers on 15:52 - Sep 10 with 1345 viewsRAFCBLUE

The first six games for me in numbers on 13:44 - Sep 10 by D_Alien

I think you're wrong about Hill's assessment of Bunney. You state that Hill "doesn't trust" Bunney but - fitness issues apart, and he was rushed back against Shrewbury, leading to a setback in his fitness, precisely because we were missing him - Hill has publicly stated that last season Bunney was the best left back in the division. He wasn't just bigging him up either, it was based on evidence that was clear for all to see (well, i say all, but...)

And what is 'a natural left back'? One the most surprising but welcome features of Bunney's play at LB was his positional sense and his ability to get up and down the flank when fully fit, added to which his tackling (with those long limbs) was highly effective. Just because you haven't played that position since you were stuck there in junior school doesn't make it unnatural when it's tried - and yes, Hill did get lucky. So did Bunney, and so did we all (well, i say all, but...)

I can only go off what I watched last season and this, so far.

Bunney played 24 games last season as left back. In 22 other league games he didn't and in 5 other games he played in a different position.

If Bunney plays the same 29 games this season we still have to find a left back to cover 17 other games.

But this debate, for its merits, is swaying my point away from its main arguement: Hill doesn't currently know his strongest team or if he can't play it, becasue of injury, illness or suspension is unable to say why.

If I highlight the central defensive pairings this season we can debate:

McNulty/Keane - Portsmouth (a); 2 conceded
McNulty/Canavan - Scunthorpe (h); Shrewsbury (a);
McNulty/McGahey - Bury (h); Blackburn (h) - 3 conceded
Canavan/McGahey - Southend (a) - clean sheet

The bottom pairing would require explanation as to why it was changed prior to yesterday. I assume Canavan was fit to play as he was named as sub and not used. On the first day of the season with everyone fit Hill thought Keane was first choice - where is he?

Or goalkeeper:

Lillis - 2 games - 3 conceded; zero clean sheets
Moore - 4 games - 6 conceded; two clean sheets

Lillis was on the bench yesterday so I assume he was fit to play. Equally it's wrong to drop Moore for that mistake for the third goal isn't it?

Hill talks about "Today was a combination of playing without having really trained" for Bunney, Lillis and Rathbone.

This is a big week.

The first six games for me in numbers on 16:00 - Sep 10 with 1328 viewsD_Alien

The first six games for me in numbers on 15:52 - Sep 10 by RAFCBLUE

I can only go off what I watched last season and this, so far.

Bunney played 24 games last season as left back. In 22 other league games he didn't and in 5 other games he played in a different position.

If Bunney plays the same 29 games this season we still have to find a left back to cover 17 other games.

But this debate, for its merits, is swaying my point away from its main arguement: Hill doesn't currently know his strongest team or if he can't play it, becasue of injury, illness or suspension is unable to say why.

If I highlight the central defensive pairings this season we can debate:

McNulty/Keane - Portsmouth (a); 2 conceded
McNulty/Canavan - Scunthorpe (h); Shrewsbury (a);
McNulty/McGahey - Bury (h); Blackburn (h) - 3 conceded
Canavan/McGahey - Southend (a) - clean sheet

The bottom pairing would require explanation as to why it was changed prior to yesterday. I assume Canavan was fit to play as he was named as sub and not used. On the first day of the season with everyone fit Hill thought Keane was first choice - where is he?

Or goalkeeper:

Lillis - 2 games - 3 conceded; zero clean sheets
Moore - 4 games - 6 conceded; two clean sheets

Lillis was on the bench yesterday so I assume he was fit to play. Equally it's wrong to drop Moore for that mistake for the third goal isn't it?

Hill talks about "Today was a combination of playing without having really trained" for Bunney, Lillis and Rathbone.

This is a big week.

Whilst agreeing with some of the above, surely it's possible to simplify the debate about whether Hilly knows his best team or not with the provision that he won't - or can't - until all the players are fit enough to be in contention?

With several new squad members vying for places and others unable to train as yet, I don't see anything to be gained by saying "he doesn't know" something that is unknowable

That's different from us speculating on our preferred best XI, which is harmless enough

The first six games for me in numbers on 16:15 - Sep 10 with 1303 viewsRAFCBLUE

The first six games for me in numbers on 16:00 - Sep 10 by D_Alien

Whilst agreeing with some of the above, surely it's possible to simplify the debate about whether Hilly knows his best team or not with the provision that he won't - or can't - until all the players are fit enough to be in contention?

With several new squad members vying for places and others unable to train as yet, I don't see anything to be gained by saying "he doesn't know" something that is unknowable

That's different from us speculating on our preferred best XI, which is harmless enough

Hill has had since Tenerife with these players (except those signed since) and whilst, I agree that his view (like ours) can change, he will have his strongest formation and team in mind.

To simplify the debate, Hill would need to tell us:

1) Where Keith Keane is - he wasn't even on the bench yesterday. If he's injured, it must have happened in training since Portsmouth when he last played.
2) What merit he saw in dropping both Rafferty and Canavan from a team that kept a clean sheet the week before. Was that a considered or enforced choice?
3) What steps we are taking to stop this "illness". If that's the line we want to use then fine, but its affected one first team midfielder significantly and who else?

Simply after Blackburn he says that "they were better than us". I could see that yesterday for myself, by some margin.

If he explained his issues he might be able to gain more empaty from a fan base itching to see a first win and a first goal from open play.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024