Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? 09:04 - May 7 with 6301 viewsmikehunt

Daft question I know as it was a season to forget but one we will always remember.
Keefy has a point when he says there is no merit in celebrating avoiding relegation - 19 other teams did that - but, the way I see it is, after the cup exploits we were effectively down. We then had a mini season in which we had to "get promoted" back into Lge 1. For Hilly to to turn our fortunes around and keep us up was remarkable. No matter how poor the rest of the season was he "managed" our survival. What he couldn't influence were the individual mistakes we made which so nearly cost us.
I wondered whether going down could have been a blessing in disguise: if we could somehow bounce straight back up. People love a winning side and we could have come back stronger with a few more fans. (Oldham might just do this if they get it right). But, nah! I am absolutely made up that we stayed up and I would be happy if we could turn this into the Rochdale division for the foreseeable future.
I just hope the club have learned lessons from the previous season - and I'm talking across the board: both on and off the pitch. We have made some friends and surprised people this season, let's build on that.
But if I see we are recruiting the likes of Vincenti and Nicky Adams for next season.......

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 09:14 - May 7 with 3702 viewsfitzochris

The season will be remembered for sure, but, other than the FA Cup run, shouldn’t be one that’s celebrated.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 09:28 - May 7 with 3662 viewsaleanddale

Agree with mini season analogy....

Dead and buried after Wembley 12 points adrift despite games in hand.

To turn this around should be celebrated in my book. Lessons learned and we go again in lg1.

The scenes at spotland on Saturday I have nor seen in a very long time.

What a day!! I am still buzzing close on 2 days later.
So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 09:43 - May 7 with 3624 viewsD_Alien

All seasons need to be remembered, for different reasons. Those for instance, where we nearly went out of business are rightly remembered; to forget would be to tempt fate

Highlights for me:

Winning with two goals in added time against Donny, sheer euphoria

Beating Millwall in the replay, after almost winning at their place (and they had a playoff chance yesterday)

Hendo's goal against Spurs; Davies' goal; Humphreys goal. The delight after the home tie and half time at a freezing Wembley

Our escape on the final day

Of our 5 away wins in the league, I was only at Gigg Lane but no doubt a couple of those others will have been etched in the memory of those present

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 09:52 - May 7 with 3605 viewsaleanddale

Charlton at home will be remembered for many years to come.

It really was a "I was there when Thompson scored" type of day.

We have had a fair few idiot fans moments recently but on Saturday I thought all 4 sides of the ground were superb.

It takes character to support the Dale! I am hope the majority that attended on Saturday buy into the fantastic season ticket offer for 2018/2019.
So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 10:02 - May 7 with 3579 viewsfunkkk

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 09:14 - May 7 by fitzochris

The season will be remembered for sure, but, other than the FA Cup run, shouldn’t be one that’s celebrated.

Because you say so? Any club in the country would celebrate coming back from 12 points adrift at the end of Feb.
So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 10:18 - May 7 with 3523 viewsfitzochris

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 10:02 - May 7 by funkkk

Because you say so? Any club in the country would celebrate coming back from 12 points adrift at the end of Feb.

No, my opinion, you do what you want.

The day of survival was one of celebration but the season, as a whole, FA Cup run aside, was a write off.

I knew this would happen if we stayed up. All past criticisms of the season buried under rose
petals.

We have no divine right to survive in this division, but a lot of what happened was avoidable in my opinion. Let’s not forget the man who led us out of it (on the last day) was the man who led us into it.

I fully believe he is also the man to make sure we don’t suffer a similar season next year.

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 10:28 - May 7 with 3488 viewsR17ALE

I'll remember it for the incredible turnaround that, for me, began at Northampton.

We went into that game on 22 points from 31 games. (33 points at season's end).

In the next 15 games we won 29 points which over a season would have us finish on 89 points.

The Cup was fantastic and in my view was the catalyst which "shocked" us out of our League lethagy which, combined with picking Cannon, and switching to a back 3 all contributed to our subsequent promotion form.

I'll remember it as the season we finally worked out how to get the best out of McNulty. The season where Cannon should've been one of the first names on the team sheet. And conclusive proof that Hendo must be the furthest man forwards at all times.

Many games are instantly forgettable, special moments have been banked, and providing we don't repeat our mistakes next season, it's a season to remember for not setting the club back 3 years.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 10:28 - May 7 with 3486 viewsD_Alien

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 10:18 - May 7 by fitzochris

The day of survival was one of celebration but the season, as a whole, FA Cup run aside, was a write off.

I knew this would happen if we stayed up. All past criticisms of the season buried under rose
petals.

We have no divine right to survive in this division, but a lot of what happened was avoidable in my opinion. Let’s not forget the man who led us out of it (on the last day) was the man who led us into it.

I fully believe he is also the man to make sure we don’t suffer a similar season next year.

"I knew this would happen if we stayed up. All past criticisms of the season buried under rose petals"

I think you'll struggle to find a single example you could quote to support that

As I posted yesterday, not the time for analysis; but that will happen. We've been analysing our failings for the past nine months, let's have some respite for the bank holiday at least

Login to get fewer ads

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 10:31 - May 7 with 3471 viewssweetcorn

In my opinion this season has had major highs and major lows, but i honestly think the good parts have been the most satisfying as a fan..

I mean the two times we got promoted we knew a couple of months in advance we were probably going up..

This season we’ve had our biggest cup draw in many years, nearly turned them over and took it to a replay and have ended up safe at the expense of a local rival.

I’m not saying i want to be fighting relegation every season, but the satisfaction of staying up saturday was just as good as when we got promoted.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 10:35 - May 7 with 3456 viewsfitzochris

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 10:28 - May 7 by D_Alien

"I knew this would happen if we stayed up. All past criticisms of the season buried under rose petals"

I think you'll struggle to find a single example you could quote to support that

As I posted yesterday, not the time for analysis; but that will happen. We've been analysing our failings for the past nine months, let's have some respite for the bank holiday at least

I’m not playing down the positivity - it’s welcome, and survival is to be celebrated. But there are comments on the forum claiming this as Hill’s greatest achievement. Match thread I think. There’s just one supporting post. There are others.

I’m no hypocrite and answered the question posed by this thread as honestly as I could.

Again, honesty can be perceived as negativity. It’s not. I’m delighted we stayed up. Ecstatic even. But I’ll not apply a sheen of gloss over the many talking points that have been going on about our league campaign for the duration of it.

You want Bank Holiday respite? Go for a walk round Hollingworth Lake. It’ll be lovely today.

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 10:43 - May 7 with 3432 viewsfitzochris

I’ll also add that this season will be remembered for Joey T’s goal and the story behind it. It may well even usurp Davies’ equaliser against Spurs.

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 10:48 - May 7 with 3407 viewsJames1980

Am I wrong to think that in footballing folklore this, in someways, compares to Man U over turning a 12 point deficit to win the Premier League back in the 90s

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 10:50 - May 7 with 3396 viewsD_Alien

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 10:35 - May 7 by fitzochris

I’m not playing down the positivity - it’s welcome, and survival is to be celebrated. But there are comments on the forum claiming this as Hill’s greatest achievement. Match thread I think. There’s just one supporting post. There are others.

I’m no hypocrite and answered the question posed by this thread as honestly as I could.

Again, honesty can be perceived as negativity. It’s not. I’m delighted we stayed up. Ecstatic even. But I’ll not apply a sheen of gloss over the many talking points that have been going on about our league campaign for the duration of it.

You want Bank Holiday respite? Go for a walk round Hollingworth Lake. It’ll be lovely today.

You responded to a post that was simply celebrating the result on Saturday by confusing it with celebrating the season, that's all

And it might well be Hill's greatest achievement - to overcome his own foibles, which could be seen as more significant in the long run

I'll be out celebrating the lovely sunshine with loved ones, thanks

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 10:53 - May 7 with 3384 viewsfitzochris

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 10:50 - May 7 by D_Alien

You responded to a post that was simply celebrating the result on Saturday by confusing it with celebrating the season, that's all

And it might well be Hill's greatest achievement - to overcome his own foibles, which could be seen as more significant in the long run

I'll be out celebrating the lovely sunshine with loved ones, thanks

My last point was meant as a light-hearted rejoinder, please don’t take that personally.

Again, it’s all about opinions. Some may believe it’s Hill’s greatest achievement. I personally think getting us out of League Two with a tiny budget is his, and will only be bettered if he got us into the Championship on the same terms.
[Post edited 7 May 2018 10:56]

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 10:59 - May 7 with 3357 viewsD_Alien

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 10:53 - May 7 by fitzochris

My last point was meant as a light-hearted rejoinder, please don’t take that personally.

Again, it’s all about opinions. Some may believe it’s Hill’s greatest achievement. I personally think getting us out of League Two with a tiny budget is his, and will only be bettered if he got us into the Championship on the same terms.
[Post edited 7 May 2018 10:56]

It's too nice out to dispute your intention with the so-called rejoinder, so I'll let you bury it under a rose, petal

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 11:03 - May 7 with 3332 viewsColDale

There's no doubt that we played better football last season, had more exciting matches and comfortably were a better team. But for me, it's all about the memories, and for that this season will far outdo anything of last year. Ask me to name a highlight from last year, and I've got to start thinking. I reckon I could string off 4 or 5 from this season at the top of my head.

Said a couple of weeks ago that there were clear similarities with the 86-87 season where we pulled off the first ever great escape. We were dead and buried then, we were dreadful at times that season but it's a season much cherished. This more than matches it given the scale of the points deficit that we had, and given that we did it at the expense of two local rivals is the icing on the cake.

I don't think we've been anywhere near as bad as some have made us out to be. Had the side from January onwards been the side from September onwards I reckon we'd have comfortably finished top half. Some of the stuff said at times this year (mostly not on here) has bordered on lunacy and hostility with half a dozen conspiracy theories lurking behind them.

I would never claim we've been unlucky this season, because you make your own luck but we've done this without our talisman for the most crucial part of the season (and it came bloody close to costing us), we had our best player for the first ten weeks of 2018 missing the last six weeks / 12 games of the season. We've lost god knows how many points from winning positions because we've not had the confidence or wherewithal to play the game out in the opposition half (like we did on Saturday). We've had major mistakes from those we rely on more than others (Lillis drop, Hendo red card, Camps penalty x 2, Done og etc). Fine margins that seemed to impact on us more than it normally would do.

We know mistakes have been made and decisions taken have been the admission of those mistakes. We might be a Henderson broken leg away from being in the same position again next season but my money is on Hilly building a team that can see us through the next 3 or 4 years with the weaknesses fully addressed. He'll have learned more about his squad in adversity than he ever did through success.

But Saturday was up there with anything. Up there with Perkins / Muirhead against Darlo, Simmonds against Stockport, the Southampton double, the promotions against Northampton and Cheltenham. Definitely in my top three moments of supporting Dale.
So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 11:05 - May 7 with 3321 viewsfitzochris

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 10:59 - May 7 by D_Alien

It's too nice out to dispute your intention with the so-called rejoinder, so I'll let you bury it under a rose, petal

Don’t forget the sheen of gloss. Factor 30 ought to do it.

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 11:11 - May 7 with 3302 viewsfitzochris

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 11:03 - May 7 by ColDale

There's no doubt that we played better football last season, had more exciting matches and comfortably were a better team. But for me, it's all about the memories, and for that this season will far outdo anything of last year. Ask me to name a highlight from last year, and I've got to start thinking. I reckon I could string off 4 or 5 from this season at the top of my head.

Said a couple of weeks ago that there were clear similarities with the 86-87 season where we pulled off the first ever great escape. We were dead and buried then, we were dreadful at times that season but it's a season much cherished. This more than matches it given the scale of the points deficit that we had, and given that we did it at the expense of two local rivals is the icing on the cake.

I don't think we've been anywhere near as bad as some have made us out to be. Had the side from January onwards been the side from September onwards I reckon we'd have comfortably finished top half. Some of the stuff said at times this year (mostly not on here) has bordered on lunacy and hostility with half a dozen conspiracy theories lurking behind them.

I would never claim we've been unlucky this season, because you make your own luck but we've done this without our talisman for the most crucial part of the season (and it came bloody close to costing us), we had our best player for the first ten weeks of 2018 missing the last six weeks / 12 games of the season. We've lost god knows how many points from winning positions because we've not had the confidence or wherewithal to play the game out in the opposition half (like we did on Saturday). We've had major mistakes from those we rely on more than others (Lillis drop, Hendo red card, Camps penalty x 2, Done og etc). Fine margins that seemed to impact on us more than it normally would do.

We know mistakes have been made and decisions taken have been the admission of those mistakes. We might be a Henderson broken leg away from being in the same position again next season but my money is on Hilly building a team that can see us through the next 3 or 4 years with the weaknesses fully addressed. He'll have learned more about his squad in adversity than he ever did through success.

But Saturday was up there with anything. Up there with Perkins / Muirhead against Darlo, Simmonds against Stockport, the Southampton double, the promotions against Northampton and Cheltenham. Definitely in my top three moments of supporting Dale.

I agree that lessons will have been learned this year. As I said, I’m convinced Hill is the right man to ensure this doesn’t happen next season. I’ll be amazed if it does, to be fair. And that’s to his credit, because, based on budget, we should be fighting relegation.

Again, though, let’s not confuse the day of survival with the campaign as a whole - both on and off the pitch. The vitriol on here has never been justified, but a lot of the measured criticism has been.

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 11:13 - May 7 with 3296 viewsD_Alien

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 11:05 - May 7 by fitzochris

Don’t forget the sheen of gloss. Factor 30 ought to do it.

The sheen of gloss? Sounds like a beauty spot about 20 miles north of Glasgow

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 11:16 - May 7 with 3281 viewsEllDale

Saturday was right up there with the escapes of 1979 and 1987.

To my mind then though we were fighting for the very survival of the club in those two instances. We would have regrouped had we gone down this time.

I'm just glad we didn't have to go though regrouping though!!!
So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 11:19 - May 7 with 3268 viewsfitzochris

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 11:13 - May 7 by D_Alien

The sheen of gloss? Sounds like a beauty spot about 20 miles north of Glasgow

A spot popped long ago, alas.

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 11:22 - May 7 with 3259 viewsSaxonDale

Great post, Col. How many dead rubber games has Hilly presided over now? Still can't be many more than 10 which is quite incredible. History only really remembers the headlines and this season we've made had some great ones.
So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 11:25 - May 7 with 3237 viewsrkershaw

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 11:19 - May 7 by fitzochris

A spot popped long ago, alas.

Upon reflection .......Saturday was all about the celebration of life more than it was football......, JT scoring to keep us up made football seem almost irrelevant!!
So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 11:27 - May 7 with 3227 viewsfitzochris

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 11:25 - May 7 by rkershaw

Upon reflection .......Saturday was all about the celebration of life more than it was football......, JT scoring to keep us up made football seem almost irrelevant!!

That, I wholeheartedly agree with.

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 11:28 - May 7 with 3220 viewsfunkkk

So, Season To Remember Or Season To Forget? on 10:18 - May 7 by fitzochris

petals.

Fair one, your post didn't read as a mere opinion though.

I don't think anyone's forgetting what a rubbish season we've had overall just enjoying the moment.

I'm sure the season will be disected in great detail over the summer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024