Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Friday 3rd May 1985 09:31 - Dec 21 with 4580 viewsdingdangblue

The last time we won a game at Roots Hall!
15 league games played since and 1 cup game.
If you believe in bogey grounds - this is one.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/southend-united-v-rochdale-03-may-1985-48608/

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 09:58 - Dec 21 with 3382 viewsDaleiLama

So a fitting nickname would be Phook Hall for us then?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 10:01 - Dec 21 with 3380 viewsdingdangblue

Any lucky fans part of the 1761 crowd remember the game?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 10:06 - Dec 21 with 3370 viewsYorkshire_Dale

If the King can get a win tomorrow he will be back at the top of the Hill.

We're surely due a bit of Christmas cheer?
Friday 3rd May 1985 on 10:07 - Dec 21 with 3370 viewssuffolkdale

Having been there many times in the last few years ( but not in 1985) I can believe that stat - even when we were winning 3-0 at half time in 2000 we finished up hanging on for a 3-3 draw!
It is interesting to read the previous posts about sendings off and the comeback inspired by NML, but is indicative that to leave with a point always seems a good result.
I suspect it will be the same tomorrow and there will be 2 of us from Suffolk cheering them on - whatever the team, whatever the formation!
Friday 3rd May 1985 on 10:23 - Dec 21 with 3346 viewsdownunder

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 09:58 - Dec 21 by DaleiLama

So a fitting nickname would be Phook Hall for us then?

A Root is the same as Phook in this part of the world
Friday 3rd May 1985 on 10:25 - Dec 21 with 3344 viewsSuddenLad

I've been there 5 times and the sum total of points we have won on all those visits is 1.

I'd be happy with a point tomorrow. 3 points for Dale would be incredible at Roots Hall.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 10:28 - Dec 21 with 3337 viewsregjenkins

Its nothing short of a disgraceful record that needs butting away for 2018... come on Dale. Tradition means fook hall!!

' I started out with nothing and i still got most of it left'

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 10:49 - Dec 21 with 3308 viewsborntogo

Just wondering: is anyone (from Rochdale, non club employee/affiliate) planning to actually travel to Southend and back tomorrow solely to watch the game? I mean, aside from the usual bunch on the official coach.

I consider myself a keen fan but I'm not sure if I I salute or pity anyone so loyal to the cause, especially considering our record down there and the mess Hill is making of everything right now.
Login to get fewer ads

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 11:17 - Dec 21 with 3248 viewsD_Alien

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 10:49 - Dec 21 by borntogo

Just wondering: is anyone (from Rochdale, non club employee/affiliate) planning to actually travel to Southend and back tomorrow solely to watch the game? I mean, aside from the usual bunch on the official coach.

I consider myself a keen fan but I'm not sure if I I salute or pity anyone so loyal to the cause, especially considering our record down there and the mess Hill is making of everything right now.

My son and his mates are hiring a private minibus - and it's his birthday!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 11:22 - Dec 21 with 3238 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 10:49 - Dec 21 by borntogo

Hey, there's still tickets available for the coach and match BTG.....,hurry up.

Agree, big hand to the fans that travel down and back on potentially one of the busiest days of the year on Saturday. Just wonder if the players mindset has a similar theme?

You could always fly down...but with the bother at Gatport Airwick that might even be a pain?
Friday 3rd May 1985 on 11:25 - Dec 21 with 3229 viewsJames1980

I would go if I wasn't working.

Perhaps 22nd December 2018 will go down in the Dale history books.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 12:47 - Dec 21 with 3168 viewsDaleiLama

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 11:17 - Dec 21 by D_Alien

Bad luck to the lad driving who has to stay sober, or have they got a driver too? If the result doesn't go our way, I'm sure there'll be plenty of consolatory tinnies consumed on the return journey. Plenty of p stops on the way home too (or empty jerry cans on board). I expect it will be a memorable trip regardless of Dale result.

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 14:35 - Dec 21 with 3078 viewsDaleiLama

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 11:17 - Dec 21 by D_Alien

Just got stopped by this driver asking for directions to Spotland

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 15:32 - Dec 21 with 3014 viewsD_Alien

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 14:35 - Dec 21 by DaleiLama

Just got stopped by this driver asking for directions to Spotland

I hope you were obliging?

"Gonna take you, hire"

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 16:00 - Dec 21 with 2984 viewsDaleiLama

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 15:32 - Dec 21 by D_Alien

I hope you were obliging?

"Gonna take you, hire"

I didn't have the postcode on me for his satnav so said I'd have to phone home!

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 16:12 - Dec 21 with 2959 viewsD_Alien

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 16:00 - Dec 21 by DaleiLama

I didn't have the postcode on me for his satnav so said I'd have to phone home!

In that case, i assume you directed him to head for Bethlehem after the match?

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 16:13 - Dec 21 with 2957 viewsantmarina

Make that 3 more from Suffolk making the short journey, here's hoping for a victory at last...
Friday 3rd May 1985 on 16:20 - Dec 21 with 2942 viewsjudd

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 10:07 - Dec 21 by suffolkdale

Having been there many times in the last few years ( but not in 1985) I can believe that stat - even when we were winning 3-0 at half time in 2000 we finished up hanging on for a 3-3 draw!
It is interesting to read the previous posts about sendings off and the comeback inspired by NML, but is indicative that to leave with a point always seems a good result.
I suspect it will be the same tomorrow and there will be 2 of us from Suffolk cheering them on - whatever the team, whatever the formation!

Christ, was that 3:3 really 2000?

I was at the game with a City supporting mate who at half time and us winning 3:0 said Dale will piss this. I said I doubt it. Didn't Southend hit the bar with the last kick ?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 16:31 - Dec 21 with 2907 viewsrochdaleriddler

I went a few years ago on mad Friday , we drew, Jamie Allen scored. £20 each way on Train to London

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 16:48 - Dec 21 with 2880 viewsDaleiLama

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 16:12 - Dec 21 by D_Alien

In that case, i assume you directed him to head for Bethlehem after the match?

That would be his best hope of finding three wise men on the way home - doubt there'll be many of those in your lad's crew.

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 16:55 - Dec 21 with 2864 viewsSuddenLad

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 16:48 - Dec 21 by DaleiLama

That would be his best hope of finding three wise men on the way home - doubt there'll be many of those in your lad's crew.

What about the Virgin ?? Any luck there, do you think ??

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 16:59 - Dec 21 with 2858 viewsDaleiLama

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 16:55 - Dec 21 by SuddenLad

What about the Virgin ?? Any luck there, do you think ??

They won't find one in Essex!

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 18:01 - Dec 21 with 2789 viewsrhf

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 16:59 - Dec 21 by DaleiLama

They won't find one in Essex!

I haven’t posted on here before but I ran the supporters coach on that Fri night win at roots hall, we were desperate for the points as always to get clear of the bottom 4, Phil Dwyer ex Cardiff and Wales headed in the first, hit both posts and dropped over the line, with about 10 mins to go Steve Taylor (who else in those days) brilliantly chipped the keeper - went in off the underside of the bar. Southend were managed by the Bobby Moore at the time, in true tradition he didn’t last long after. There were 27 on the coach and we all stopped at a pub in Basildon on the way back which was very rare, to celebrate another season of safety- living the dream! Vic Halom was our manager and he stopped the team coach at the same pub when he saw our coach and got us a pint, a great dale night for the 27.
Friday 3rd May 1985 on 18:19 - Dec 21 with 2765 viewskiwidale

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 18:01 - Dec 21 by rhf

I haven’t posted on here before but I ran the supporters coach on that Fri night win at roots hall, we were desperate for the points as always to get clear of the bottom 4, Phil Dwyer ex Cardiff and Wales headed in the first, hit both posts and dropped over the line, with about 10 mins to go Steve Taylor (who else in those days) brilliantly chipped the keeper - went in off the underside of the bar. Southend were managed by the Bobby Moore at the time, in true tradition he didn’t last long after. There were 27 on the coach and we all stopped at a pub in Basildon on the way back which was very rare, to celebrate another season of safety- living the dream! Vic Halom was our manager and he stopped the team coach at the same pub when he saw our coach and got us a pint, a great dale night for the 27.

A nice first post and a great story.

This is not the time for bickering.

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 20:06 - Dec 21 with 2685 viewsdingdangblue

Friday 3rd May 1985 on 18:01 - Dec 21 by rhf

Superb - thanks for that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024