Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain 10:26 - Sep 1 with 18822 viewsdirk_doone

This topic seems to be discussed on here a lot by our obsessed visitor from Little Pompey so here are all the main lists that take a range of criteria into account.

Talksport give a very balanced, objective view, taking a range of criteria into account:

https://talksport.com/football/320299/top-30-biggest-football-clubs-britain-30-n

An alternative list from 1Sports1, also taking a range of criteria into account:

https://www.1sports1.com/biggest-football-clubs-in-the-uk/

Football database ranking:

https://footballdatabase.com/ranking/england/1

World Soccer's Big Club Survey results, again using a range of criteria:

https://www.worldsoccer.com/news/makes-big-club-408679

The Big Club Survey: How we did it:

https://blog.betway.com/football/the-big-club-survey-how-we-did-it/

[Post edited 1 Sep 2020 11:21]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 18:40 - Sep 3 with 1464 viewshedgeend61

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 18:25 - Sep 3 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

I stand by what I said, Ok I didn't state the tense correctly, but there are 12 clubs who are clearly bigger than your club, then you have clubs like Wednesday, Wolves, Derby, Leicester, WBA, Forest etc who are marginally bigger than you. That is fact. On size, you are probably a 20-25 size club, despite what some of you may think.

12 clearly bigger?

Top 6 obviously, Everton, Newcastle Leeds and Villa, who's the other 2?
Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 19:05 - Sep 3 with 1434 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 18:40 - Sep 3 by hedgeend61

12 clearly bigger?

Top 6 obviously, Everton, Newcastle Leeds and Villa, who's the other 2?

Hammers and Sunderland. All clearly bigger clubs, and everything says so.

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 07:22 - Sep 4 with 1384 viewsButty101

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 18:25 - Sep 3 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

I stand by what I said, Ok I didn't state the tense correctly, but there are 12 clubs who are clearly bigger than your club, then you have clubs like Wednesday, Wolves, Derby, Leicester, WBA, Forest etc who are marginally bigger than you. That is fact. On size, you are probably a 20-25 size club, despite what some of you may think.

Until those clubs establish them selves in the premiership, they won’t be bigger than Saints. It sounds like back handily you are agreeing as you didn’t use the right tense lol.

I wonder if Notts Forest fans obsess about themselves being a bigger club than Leicester?

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 08:20 - Sep 4 with 1366 viewsChesham_Saint

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 07:22 - Sep 4 by Butty101

Until those clubs establish them selves in the premiership, they won’t be bigger than Saints. It sounds like back handily you are agreeing as you didn’t use the right tense lol.

I wonder if Notts Forest fans obsess about themselves being a bigger club than Leicester?

I really don't understand why anyone tries to have a rationale debate with this dickwad. He/she's completely irrational and either tragically severely autistic, a complete cvnt or my personal favourite, both.

It's as if a pseudo -intellectual bindweed is inexorably sapping the oxygen from this board. Cease and desist is my recommendation. Winter is coming.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2020 10:33]

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 10:28 - Sep 4 with 1334 views1teeminants

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 08:20 - Sep 4 by Chesham_Saint

I really don't understand why anyone tries to have a rationale debate with this dickwad. He/she's completely irrational and either tragically severely autistic, a complete cvnt or my personal favourite, both.

It's as if a pseudo -intellectual bindweed is inexorably sapping the oxygen from this board. Cease and desist is my recommendation. Winter is coming.

Exactly stop feeding this idiot . He’s probably laughing every day because everyone( including myself at times ) bites. Just ignore him

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 10:47 - Sep 4 with 1311 viewsarfurdent

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 10:28 - Sep 4 by 1teeminants

Exactly stop feeding this idiot . He’s probably laughing every day because everyone( including myself at times ) bites. Just ignore him

his carer does

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 10:53 - Sep 4 with 1304 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 10:28 - Sep 4 by 1teeminants

Rank hypocrisy from someone who has been appearing on the Pompey board for over a decade.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 10:55 - Sep 4 with 1309 views1teeminants

I’m going to bite lol . The thing is you say marginally bigger than us I would say it’s all about opinions . I’m obviously biased but you’re anti saints . I would put us on a par with those clubs now I think we have proved that by our status over the last 30 odd years They were bigger clubs than us in the 60’s 70’s and previous years no question . I certainly wouldn’t put West Brom bigger yes they’ve won more but we’ve been way above them for years, same with Forest who were a big club at one point . How many of those clubs have finished top 8 in top league four years running in recent years ? we all play in similar stadiums in front of similar crowds .

Login to get fewer ads

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:08 - Sep 4 with 1301 views1teeminants

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 10:53 - Sep 4 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Rank hypocrisy from someone who has been appearing on the Pompey board for over a decade.

I wasn’t on there every day like you are here and I hardly post there anymore.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:13 - Sep 4 with 1287 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:08 - Sep 4 by 1teeminants

I wasn’t on there every day like you are here and I hardly post there anymore.

I hadn't been on this board for 6 weeks or so before I made the Everton comment the other day. A comment that there is no way your club is anything like Everton in size. The continued responses must mean that a lot of your fans think they are almost as big as Everton.

ie a sensible comment from me, and delusion from enough of your fans to keep the conversation going. It's frankly hilarious.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:20 - Sep 4 with 1283 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 08:20 - Sep 4 by Chesham_Saint

You don’t do rationale debate. You asked me a few questions on threads that I created many moons ago, I answered them, then you disappeared, then reappeared weeks later angrier than ever, with all your childish name calling and bitterness. And you are still bitter and twisted. Why don’t you use your enormous brain, and stay off these threads.

I’d get out of London if I were you, all the noise, the aggro, and all the traffic fumes are obviously poisoning your mind.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:31 - Sep 4 with 1273 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 10:55 - Sep 4 by 1teeminants

I’m going to bite lol . The thing is you say marginally bigger than us I would say it’s all about opinions . I’m obviously biased but you’re anti saints . I would put us on a par with those clubs now I think we have proved that by our status over the last 30 odd years They were bigger clubs than us in the 60’s 70’s and previous years no question . I certainly wouldn’t put West Brom bigger yes they’ve won more but we’ve been way above them for years, same with Forest who were a big club at one point . How many of those clubs have finished top 8 in top league four years running in recent years ? we all play in similar stadiums in front of similar crowds .

You keep going on about the 4 continuous top 8 finishes. FFS, you have existed as a club for over 130 years, and only just achieved it. All the big clubs you mentioned achieved that years ago, and many more than once.

The fact that they all have bigger overall attendances than your club, despite being out of the top league for a while, and many of them being in the top league when it was a small starter league says it all.

Your club have never even hit the top ten in attendances, even during the good times. That simple stat says it all really.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:37 - Sep 4 with 1271 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 07:22 - Sep 4 by Butty101

Your club didn't all of a sudden become a tiny club when you visited League 1, you were a big club in that league. The reason you are spunking so much money on wages is still down to the players like Mane and Van Dijk you sold a few seasons back. That wage bill will inevitably run down, as you don't have so many good players to sell, Ings aside.

Any club who stay in the top league for a while generally has a bit of money. That is a given. That doesn't necessarily make them a big club, just a club with spending power. Bournemouth have never been a big club, or a medium sized club.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:52 - Sep 4 with 1240 views1teeminants

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:31 - Sep 4 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

You keep going on about the 4 continuous top 8 finishes. FFS, you have existed as a club for over 130 years, and only just achieved it. All the big clubs you mentioned achieved that years ago, and many more than once.

The fact that they all have bigger overall attendances than your club, despite being out of the top league for a while, and many of them being in the top league when it was a small starter league says it all.

Your club have never even hit the top ten in attendances, even during the good times. That simple stat says it all really.

I always find it hilarious when a Pompey fan tries to diss us about attendances. do you not study them ? your AVERAGE attendances really are quite laughable compared to ours . I regularly recall you getting 8 k averages In the 70’s 80’s which is quite frankly pathetic. You had a few one off big crowds and one of those was when 9000 saints fans visited. The others were sailors getting in for nothing . Give your head a wobble . I said the other clubs were bigger than us but not now. How the f ck can you dispute that!! None of those clubs have spent anywhere near our longevity in the top league in the last 30 years bar Leicester , it really isn’t difficult to understand. You really are bitter aren’t you.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 14:55 - Sep 4 with 1214 viewsChesham_Saint

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:20 - Sep 4 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

You don’t do rationale debate. You asked me a few questions on threads that I created many moons ago, I answered them, then you disappeared, then reappeared weeks later angrier than ever, with all your childish name calling and bitterness. And you are still bitter and twisted. Why don’t you use your enormous brain, and stay off these threads.

I’d get out of London if I were you, all the noise, the aggro, and all the traffic fumes are obviously poisoning your mind.

Wrong. I don't do rational debate with you, dick-head.

The only reason I occasionally comment on your puerile, boring, never-ending cut and paste waffle shit is because it's bad for the health of this board.

So, quite simply, fvck off you skate tosser or, to quote an infamous cover of one of our fanzines, "Hope you die soon" (in a 'virtual' sense).

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 15:30 - Sep 4 with 1201 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 14:55 - Sep 4 by Chesham_Saint

Wrong. I don't do rational debate with you, dick-head.

The only reason I occasionally comment on your puerile, boring, never-ending cut and paste waffle shit is because it's bad for the health of this board.

So, quite simply, fvck off you skate tosser or, to quote an infamous cover of one of our fanzines, "Hope you die soon" (in a 'virtual' sense).

Mr Angry, and Mr Bitter. . . . It's not good for your health.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 15:51 - Sep 4 with 1188 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:52 - Sep 4 by 1teeminants

I always find it hilarious when a Pompey fan tries to diss us about attendances. do you not study them ? your AVERAGE attendances really are quite laughable compared to ours . I regularly recall you getting 8 k averages In the 70’s 80’s which is quite frankly pathetic. You had a few one off big crowds and one of those was when 9000 saints fans visited. The others were sailors getting in for nothing . Give your head a wobble . I said the other clubs were bigger than us but not now. How the f ck can you dispute that!! None of those clubs have spent anywhere near our longevity in the top league in the last 30 years bar Leicester , it really isn’t difficult to understand. You really are bitter aren’t you.

It's not just about attendances, or the present time is it? A club goes up and down the tables due to success on the field, and money and coaching off it.

The biggest clubs, are just obviously big, and sadly your club are nowehere near fulfilling any of the criteria of even a big-medium sized club.

These clubs will have achieved the following

A 32k average attendance at some stage in their lifetime
Have won 2 Major Honours in a 10/15 year period.
Have won Multiple Major honours
Have hit the top ten attendances at least once in their lifetime
Have paid out top ten wages at least once in their lifetime
Have 4 continuous top 8 finishes at least once in their lifetime
Have finished in the top 4 a number of times.

All the following clubs have achieved almost all of the requirements on this list i.e Forest, Leicester, Sunderland, Villa, Derby, Boro, Wolves, WBA, West Ham, Sheff Utd, Wednesday, Charlton.

Your club have only ever achieved one thing on that list, and you have to ask why that is . . ., as you have spent quite a few years in the top league now?
[Post edited 4 Sep 2020 15:53]

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 16:29 - Sep 4 with 1172 views1teeminants

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 15:51 - Sep 4 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

It's not just about attendances, or the present time is it? A club goes up and down the tables due to success on the field, and money and coaching off it.

The biggest clubs, are just obviously big, and sadly your club are nowehere near fulfilling any of the criteria of even a big-medium sized club.

These clubs will have achieved the following

All the following clubs have achieved almost all of the requirements on this list i.e Forest, Leicester, Sunderland, Villa, Derby, Boro, Wolves, WBA, West Ham, Sheff Utd, Wednesday, Charlton.

Your club have only ever achieved one thing on that list, and you have to ask why that is . . ., as you have spent quite a few years in the top league now?
[Post edited 4 Sep 2020 15:53]

It really isn’t worth debating with you because there are your anti saints figures and stats and then there are figures and stats and thoughts of rational people .

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 16:33 - Sep 4 with 1169 viewsBuggalugs

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 16:29 - Sep 4 by 1teeminants

It really isn’t worth debating with you because there are your anti saints figures and stats and then there are figures and stats and thoughts of rational people .

You should have taken your own advice several posts ago

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 16:45 - Sep 4 with 1158 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 16:29 - Sep 4 by 1teeminants

They are realistic targets for so called decent sized middling clubs. You are just admitting defeat because 'for some reason' your club doesn't match up.

I could have said

'League Champion' at some stage
'30 years consecutive years' in top flight at some stage
'40k capacity stadium' at some stage'
'40k attendance at least once etc etc

They seriously should be obtainable targets for a decent sized club.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:32 - Sep 5 with 1054 viewsButty101

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 16:45 - Sep 4 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

They are realistic targets for so called decent sized middling clubs. You are just admitting defeat because 'for some reason' your club doesn't match up.

I could have said

'League Champion' at some stage
'30 years consecutive years' in top flight at some stage
'40k capacity stadium' at some stage'
'40k attendance at least once etc etc

They seriously should be obtainable targets for a decent sized club.

As we all know football was invented at the advent of Premiership football. Today’s Footballers brought up on a diet of premiership will not Hold the clubs you mention in the same esteem as you do. They won’t be looking at your old girl and thinking sleeping giant.

Southampton On the other hand, have been one of the main stays of the premiership and at least will be known. The gap between the top 6 is huge but now nearly as big as the vacuum between saints and Pompey.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:37 - Sep 5 with 1049 views1teeminants

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 16:33 - Sep 4 by Buggalugs

You should have taken your own advice several posts ago

He doesn’t wind me up though . I just look at him as a fan of a club who have basically been lower league trash for most of my lifetime and deep down he knows it. I don’t get into large debates with him because he’s so anti saints where as some get sucked in . To him a successful club is a club who won trophies when dinasaurs roamed the earth and had a couple of big crowds when sailors were allowed in . He refuses to acknowledge average attendances over long periods, size of ground, fan base, catchment areas ,status in top divisions as a size of a club which is just stupid really so he’s not worth debating with on a large scale.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:58 - Sep 5 with 1037 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:32 - Sep 5 by Butty101

As we all know football was invented at the advent of Premiership football. Today’s Footballers brought up on a diet of premiership will not Hold the clubs you mention in the same esteem as you do. They won’t be looking at your old girl and thinking sleeping giant.

Southampton On the other hand, have been one of the main stays of the premiership and at least will be known. The gap between the top 6 is huge but now nearly as big as the vacuum between saints and Pompey.

But despite all those years in the PL, Pompey had a higher number in the Pointless TV quiz recently where teams with the initials 'P.L.A.Y.E.R.S' were the subject of the question.

Why did Soton have a lower number?

And as I said, in terms of potential size, your club aren't that big, as they only hit 1 parameter above. That is a fact.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:31 - Sep 5 with 1029 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:37 - Sep 5 by 1teeminants

He doesn’t wind me up though . I just look at him as a fan of a club who have basically been lower league trash for most of my lifetime and deep down he knows it. I don’t get into large debates with him because he’s so anti saints where as some get sucked in . To him a successful club is a club who won trophies when dinasaurs roamed the earth and had a couple of big crowds when sailors were allowed in . He refuses to acknowledge average attendances over long periods, size of ground, fan base, catchment areas ,status in top divisions as a size of a club which is just stupid really so he’s not worth debating with on a large scale.

It's nothing to do with being anti your club, it's just a simple, logical, unemotional checking of facts

And checking the list above we have
7 Sheff Utd, Wednesday, Sunderland, Derby, Forest, Leicester, Wolves
5 West ham
4 Charlton, Boro
1 Soton

So, the question remains. If your club are quite big, how come they check so little of the boxes?

Check list

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 14:45 - Sep 5 with 1005 viewsButty101

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:31 - Sep 5 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

It's nothing to do with being anti your club, it's just a simple, logical, unemotional checking of facts

And checking the list above we have
7 Sheff Utd, Wednesday, Sunderland, Derby, Forest, Leicester, Wolves
5 West ham
4 Charlton, Boro
1 Soton

So, the question remains. If your club are quite big, how come they check so little of the boxes?

Check list

“ Have paid out top ten wages at least once in their lifetime “

Shame you actually Couldn’t afford a wage bill like that and nearly 15years later you are still paying for such a legacy.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024