Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fans in grounds 21:14 - Mar 3 with 1309 viewsMytchettSaint

As the club are currently losing circa £3M per month (I believe I’ve read that sum is the loss of match day revenue) does anyone think that the club and perhaps other clubs will have realised the importance of match going fans a bit more moving forward? It’s all very well bending over and taking it where the sun don’t shine for tv money but I’d hoped this last year might show clubs that fans are still important and that Saints might just make more of an effort in engaging with the supporters who attend games.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Fans in grounds on 21:48 - Mar 3 with 1274 viewsBicester_North

Maybe but it won’t be the community die hard fans, they want the wealthy and tourist fans more than any other, so I wouldn’t expect prices to change

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Fans in grounds on 23:13 - Mar 3 with 1207 viewscynicalsaint

No.
Fans in grounds on 08:08 - Mar 4 with 1139 viewsSaintNick

Clubs have realised long ago the importance of the fans to the club, 20 years ago they had lost sight, but nowadays it is the fan base that is the financial difference.

The money from the Premier League & TV is still a big part of a clubs income, but it is not the difference, last season Liverpool only received about £40 million more for winning the league than the team that finished 3rd from bottom.

What has sent Liverpool & Manchester United far above the rest is their size of the fanbase and how much they can generate from having so many more fans.

The gap is widening, every year Liverpool & United get more fans both in the UK & worldwide and those fans are willing to spend money, they join the membership scheme to get things from the club, they subscribe to Liverpool/ManUtd TV they buy merchandise in large amounts.

But it is not just the direct benefits like that, because of the numbers they attract bigger sponsorchip and advertising revenue.

For Saints the matchday revenue is crucial, it is the difference between breaking even on everyday running costs, but all we will do is break even.

We all slag off the armchair fans, but it they who have bankrolled the likes of Liverpool and enable them to pay big transfer fees and wages..

The average Saints season ticket holder is worth about £600 to the club a year, perhaps £650 if he buys a shirt, Liverpool have 100 million fans worldwide and sell around 1 million shirts a year, Man Utd have more

Dont underestimate their worth they are worth multi millions to the clubs even though most of them will never see their team live in action, we moan that we don't have an owner who will bankroll us and that there is only overpriced tat when we get a free voucher .

As things stand we are all canon fodder in the UK only Manchester City have any appetite for throwing money to compete with Liverpool/United as they are prepared to pay the paltry £20 million fine to Uefa for breaking the financial fair play rules.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Fans in grounds on 09:08 - Mar 4 with 1103 viewsMytchettSaint

Fans in grounds on 08:08 - Mar 4 by SaintNick

Clubs have realised long ago the importance of the fans to the club, 20 years ago they had lost sight, but nowadays it is the fan base that is the financial difference.

The money from the Premier League & TV is still a big part of a clubs income, but it is not the difference, last season Liverpool only received about £40 million more for winning the league than the team that finished 3rd from bottom.

What has sent Liverpool & Manchester United far above the rest is their size of the fanbase and how much they can generate from having so many more fans.

The gap is widening, every year Liverpool & United get more fans both in the UK & worldwide and those fans are willing to spend money, they join the membership scheme to get things from the club, they subscribe to Liverpool/ManUtd TV they buy merchandise in large amounts.

But it is not just the direct benefits like that, because of the numbers they attract bigger sponsorchip and advertising revenue.

For Saints the matchday revenue is crucial, it is the difference between breaking even on everyday running costs, but all we will do is break even.

We all slag off the armchair fans, but it they who have bankrolled the likes of Liverpool and enable them to pay big transfer fees and wages..

The average Saints season ticket holder is worth about £600 to the club a year, perhaps £650 if he buys a shirt, Liverpool have 100 million fans worldwide and sell around 1 million shirts a year, Man Utd have more

Dont underestimate their worth they are worth multi millions to the clubs even though most of them will never see their team live in action, we moan that we don't have an owner who will bankroll us and that there is only overpriced tat when we get a free voucher .

As things stand we are all canon fodder in the UK only Manchester City have any appetite for throwing money to compete with Liverpool/United as they are prepared to pay the paltry £20 million fine to Uefa for breaking the financial fair play rules.

I’d argue that Saints regained a sense of match day fans worth when we were relegated in 05 only to lose sight of that again the first few years we were in the premier league again (the fans will come regardless type thinking ...)

When you get out of the habit of doing something it takes a lot to restart. It was interesting to read on another thread people saying they were going to stop going as much.

To say most attending fans are only worth £600 a season isn’t taking into account what some will spend on programmes/drinks/food etc as well as club shop stuff. The club need that extra spend as well. They’ve made a few attempts to entice fans to the ground early with the fanzone and bands on under the stand on the concourse a few seasons ago I seem to remember as well.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Fans in grounds on 11:10 - Mar 4 with 1069 viewsbarry_sanchez

Totally agree with this, World football and the elite are expanding at huge rates with new "markets", we're cannon fodder for them to reach the Champions League etc etc, I actually like seeing Chelsea and City spend and break up the monopoly (only as a proxy to my viewpoint), I'd love it if there were a European Super League and off they went, English football will eat itself its just a matter of when, once broken it'll revert to some form of hierarchy straight away but there would be reforms, I always say this to fans who support the big clubs yet don't come from there
"If we were all like you there'd only be 4/5 clubs in England, I give far more respect to a fan who supports their local team than someone who comes up with an excuse of why they support United or Liverpool"

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Fans in grounds on 12:01 - Mar 4 with 1041 viewsSaintNick

Fans in grounds on 09:08 - Mar 4 by MytchettSaint

I’d argue that Saints regained a sense of match day fans worth when we were relegated in 05 only to lose sight of that again the first few years we were in the premier league again (the fans will come regardless type thinking ...)

When you get out of the habit of doing something it takes a lot to restart. It was interesting to read on another thread people saying they were going to stop going as much.

To say most attending fans are only worth £600 a season isn’t taking into account what some will spend on programmes/drinks/food etc as well as club shop stuff. The club need that extra spend as well. They’ve made a few attempts to entice fans to the ground early with the fanzone and bands on under the stand on the concourse a few seasons ago I seem to remember as well.

When i gave that figure for season ticket holders i wasnt including the food drink stuff because that is peanuts, I was referring to the other stuff, merchandising, club membership and then the advertising revenue from websites and digital content.

We had around 20,000 season ticket holders, I would hazard a guess that Liverpool have more members than that in each of a dozen countries all of whom are probably spending more than £600 per head when everything is added up.

Just pay a visit to the Liverpool or United megastores on matchday's it is a sight to see as tourists come out laden with carrier bags, Anfield has 102,000 seats but they can only get 56,000 in due to the shopping bags

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Fans in grounds on 12:26 - Mar 4 with 1016 viewsbarry_sanchez

Fans in grounds on 12:01 - Mar 4 by SaintNick

When i gave that figure for season ticket holders i wasnt including the food drink stuff because that is peanuts, I was referring to the other stuff, merchandising, club membership and then the advertising revenue from websites and digital content.

We had around 20,000 season ticket holders, I would hazard a guess that Liverpool have more members than that in each of a dozen countries all of whom are probably spending more than £600 per head when everything is added up.

Just pay a visit to the Liverpool or United megastores on matchday's it is a sight to see as tourists come out laden with carrier bags, Anfield has 102,000 seats but they can only get 56,000 in due to the shopping bags

My kids are scousers so its going to be the hardest sell in the World for them to be Saints, the saddest part of it is if they decide to support Liverpool (well that is the saddest part) is they'll never get a season ticket and they'll rarely see them play due to day trippers.
Liverpool and United have even closed the waiting list to join for season tickets, the waiting time is something like 70 years, its compounded by fans/families (can't really blame them) who won't give up seasons when someone dies as they sell them on season to season basis to scalpers for a huge hike and then it gets hiked up again for the day trippers forcing out local fans even more, sure you can buy a Liverpool ticket for any game you choose but it will cost you an awful lot of money.
Sad situation but Liverpool won't rock the boat as they know what side their bread is buttered.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 12:32]

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Fans in grounds on 18:47 - Mar 4 with 908 viewsTripleNiemi

Said this before on a few occasions, but when you travel Asia for instance all you see with regards to British football paraphernalia is generally posters of United, Liverpool or Chelsea players in their pomp. I get it and fully applaud these clubs for pushing those bounds. For me (and i appreciate i am no PR / Business guru) i had thought there could be 'long term' mileage in clubs of Saints stature pushing into some of these remote countries where football might not be a number one sport or Saints known of. I would even go so far as to get into a country and the communities and even push 'free' Saints kit onto the kids. Try and get them interested and let them know all about our club. Maybe, just maybe we could hook a few thousand and get them on the long term revenue stream. I know most these countries are cash poor, but there has to be somewhere we could try and capture the market. Short term pain, long term gain maybe.

This is no dig at Krueger, but i was under the impression that this was his concluding role within Saints and for me, aside from the Under Armour deal he too performed poorly imho in this area as have so many at Saints throughout history. We cannot continue to 'bumble' along and expect to compete regularly.

Remember the selling point for moving to a larger stadium back in the 90's was to ensure we could compete and help stay in the league which to be fair we did (and it enticed Markus to buy us due to the quality of assets we still had) but even now with 32,000 seats we are not really any better off than we were in the latter years at the Dell. We need to go balls out (excuse the pun) and get ourselves known in some random, remote countries.

Just my thoughts......
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 18:57]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024