Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
HMS Victory 22:27 - Oct 12 with 1319 viewsSaintNick

Watching a documentary on the ship now, it is a part of history that has always intrigued me

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

HMS Victory on 23:15 - Oct 12 with 1289 viewsgrumpy

Why?
HMS Victory on 23:19 - Oct 12 with 1272 viewsRon11

Built in Chatham Dockyard, not Portsmouth as one or two would have you believe.
Coincidentally where I did a mech engineering apprenticeship.
HMS Victory on 07:26 - Oct 13 with 1191 viewsdwayne_dibley

mostly replaced as the wood rotted in the skate air

a bit like Trigger's broom

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

HMS Victory on 09:17 - Oct 13 with 1123 viewssaints__fan__73

Which channel was the documentary on?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

HMS Victory on 23:55 - Oct 14 with 920 viewskernow

Saw her from a distance today. Looks like she's being re-rigged. All the topmasts have been removed.
HMS Victory on 06:30 - Oct 15 with 878 viewsdwayne_dibley

HMS Victory on 23:55 - Oct 14 by kernow

Saw her from a distance today. Looks like she's being re-rigged. All the topmasts have been removed.

skates will nick anything

getting ready for Bonfire Night

HMS Victory on 08:07 - Oct 15 with 845 viewskernow

HMS Victory on 06:30 - Oct 15 by dwayne_dibley

skates will nick anything

getting ready for Bonfire Night

Are they running out of Catholics?
HMS Victory on 09:04 - Oct 15 with 809 viewsdwayne_dibley

HMS Victory on 08:07 - Oct 15 by kernow

Are they running out of Catholics?

n/t
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 22:24]

Login to get fewer ads

HMS Victory on 09:25 - Oct 15 with 792 viewsSaintNick

HMS Victory on 23:15 - Oct 12 by grumpy

Why?

I dont know, I went on it as a young child long before I had heard of Saints & Pompey rivalry and my interest went from there.

HMS Victory on 09:43 - Oct 15 with 783 views1885_SFC

I must have walked past it a thousand times over the many years that I went to and from my ship/s in Pompey Dockyard. Must admit I never got bored looking at her as I walked past her... even after a skinful. In those days she had her full rigging and always looked magnificent. I always remember seeing the numerous feral cats around the area of the dock she was in. The Dockyard is full of feral cats that they allow to live there in order to keep the rat population down. A dockie once told me the cats were "protectors of the Victory" as an old wooden ship that size was like a des res to vermin!

Join me again same time tomorrow folks for more exciting sea shanties from the past! Aaaarrrr. Shiver me timbers...

Old School is Cool

HMS Victory on 10:15 - Oct 15 with 756 viewsNumber_58

The Historic Dockyard is fantastic and, putting aside all the stupid local rivalry, we're lucky to have it on our doorstep. Shame they don't have a big modern warship though to look around to compliment the Mary Rose, Victory and Warrior. It still makes me laugh that PFC were so arrogant they thought Warrior could be 'moved somewhere' to accomodate their toilet bowl stadium.
HMS Victory on 10:32 - Oct 15 with 743 viewsdirk_doone

HMS Victory on 10:15 - Oct 15 by Number_58

The Historic Dockyard is fantastic and, putting aside all the stupid local rivalry, we're lucky to have it on our doorstep. Shame they don't have a big modern warship though to look around to compliment the Mary Rose, Victory and Warrior. It still makes me laugh that PFC were so arrogant they thought Warrior could be 'moved somewhere' to accomodate their toilet bowl stadium.

I agree. It's one of the best museums in the country, although when I was a boy it was much cheaper to visit HMS Victory and also more comfortable for me because, nowadays, as I'm tall, I have to stoop down low to walk around below decks.

A couple of years ago, the last time I was there, I was looking at the spot where Nelson lay dying but last week, for the first time ever, I saw the bullet that killed him, which isn't kept in Portsmouth.
As for visiting modern warships, including submarines, Portsmouth Navy Days always used to be goood for that.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 10:52]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

HMS Victory on 10:55 - Oct 15 with 714 views1885_SFC

There's a raised, solid brass plaque attached to the deck of Victory which states 'Nelson Fell Here'.

I'm not surprised. I tripped over it myself.

Old School is Cool

HMS Victory on 11:44 - Oct 15 with 691 viewsSaintNick

HMS Victory on 10:55 - Oct 15 by 1885_SFC

There's a raised, solid brass plaque attached to the deck of Victory which states 'Nelson Fell Here'.

I'm not surprised. I tripped over it myself.

The last time i went it was no longer raised presumably for that very reason

HMS Victory on 16:26 - Oct 15 with 646 viewsGasGiant

HMS Victory on 10:15 - Oct 15 by Number_58

So you decided not to put aside stupid local rivalry after all.
HMS Victory on 18:37 - Oct 15 with 610 viewsNumber_58

HMS Victory on 16:26 - Oct 15 by GasGiant

So you decided not to put aside stupid local rivalry after all.

That's got nothing to do with local rivalry, that's just a football club acting like self-important tw*ts. I'd have said the same about us if we'd tried to move the Bargate to accomodate our new stadium. Although to be fair, even Rupert wasn't that stupid.
HMS Victory on 19:13 - Oct 15 with 582 viewsGasGiant

HMS Victory on 18:37 - Oct 15 by Number_58

That's got nothing to do with local rivalry, that's just a football club acting like self-important tw*ts. I'd have said the same about us if we'd tried to move the Bargate to accomodate our new stadium. Although to be fair, even Rupert wasn't that stupid.

Yes it does have everything to do with local rivalry because your information is inaccurate. Wherever you put a new stadium it is going to upset someone. In this case it was the property developers and architects (not the club itself) proposing a massive redevelopment of Gunwharf Quays that happened to encompass a new stadium as a sweetener. It was one of a few speculative options - the favourites were actually at Farlington, and then adjacent to the existing stadium; not much different to Southampton's preference to build at Stoneham before going to St Marys. The Bargate by the way doesn't float.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 19:13]
HMS Victory on 20:34 - Oct 15 with 539 viewspjt50

HMS Victory on 07:26 - Oct 13 by dwayne_dibley

mostly replaced as the wood rotted in the skate air

a bit like Trigger's broom

When I was on a tour of the Victory several years ago the guide told me that less than 10% was original. By now I guess it's less. Don't know when it ceases to be the real thing & becomes a kind of Disney replica. Still impressive though.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

HMS Victory on 08:23 - Oct 16 with 460 viewsNumber_58

HMS Victory on 19:13 - Oct 15 by GasGiant

Yes it does have everything to do with local rivalry because your information is inaccurate. Wherever you put a new stadium it is going to upset someone. In this case it was the property developers and architects (not the club itself) proposing a massive redevelopment of Gunwharf Quays that happened to encompass a new stadium as a sweetener. It was one of a few speculative options - the favourites were actually at Farlington, and then adjacent to the existing stadium; not much different to Southampton's preference to build at Stoneham before going to St Marys. The Bargate by the way doesn't float.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 19:13]

What the f*ck are you on about? It has nothing to do with local rivalry. Gunwharf had been opened for three years before Gaydamark commisioned posh stadium architects Herzog to design his vanity project, complete with hundreds of luxury flats, on reclaimed land squeezed in between The Hard, the railway station and the historic dockyard. Famously (or maybe not), he neglected to mention his little plan to Portsmouth City Council or the Navy. If you think this isn't arrogance on PFC's part I would hate to be your nextdoor neighbour when you decide to build an extension. Although maybe the neighbours wouldnt complain because people might think it was purely down to 'local rivalry'. But you are correct that the Bargate doesnt float. Well done.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024