Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Parliamentary Sleaze 10:38 - Nov 8 with 3243 viewsSadoldgit

Whilst I don’t have a problem with lobbying per se (there are clearly benefits in many cases) I do draw the line at MPs on corporation payrolls or taking money to ask questions in the House or to forward a particular company’s interest. The rules do need to be changed and we need much more transparency about what is going on. MPs are public servants and get paid a good wage for doing their jobs. They should not be making money on the side thanks to their privileged position and be in someone’s pocket. Yes, it has gone on forever but we have seen more and more of it and now is the time for it to stop.
Parliamentary Sleaze on 08:44 - Nov 12 with 997 viewssaint901

There is unfortunately a very wide gap between the top 1% of earners (who pay up to 50% of all income tax collected) and the rest of the working population.

MPs earn around £65/70k a year. On top of that they get very generous expenses for their "staff", travel, accommodation etc. One survey I've seen puts their equivalent salary at around £200k a year. That's about 6x average salary.

The Tory view of life is (I'm exaggerating) that anybody can earn more than the average if they're prepared to work hard, have ambition, be ruthless in business, look after your family and nobody else. The Labour view (I'm exaggerating) is that people work hard but are denied opportunity which destroys ambition and that the vulnerable in society who are unable to work etc, need to be protected.

There is good and bad in both positions but the Tory view does rather assume that if people don't like where they are economically, then it's up to them to get out of it. Obviously it's not that simple but it does colour a lot of Tory think.
Parliamentary Sleaze on 08:47 - Nov 12 with 992 viewsJaySaint

Lobbying benefits = when it is Labour doing the deals in the halls of Westminster.

Gotcha

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Parliamentary Sleaze on 09:43 - Nov 12 with 950 viewsgrumpy

Parliamentary Sleaze on 08:47 - Nov 12 by JaySaint

Lobbying benefits = when it is Labour doing the deals in the halls of Westminster.

Gotcha

Desperately trying to compare is a sad joke.
Parliamentary Sleaze on 14:21 - Nov 12 with 915 viewsBerber

Parliamentary Sleaze on 15:01 - Nov 8 by Sadoldgit

I don’t know where they get the time to do other jobs as well, you would think that they would be too busy! If they need more money than an MPs salary then perhaps they should be doing something else.

On that basis, no MP could hold down a ministerial post either. Given how many ministers and committee chairmen get re-elected, there doesn't seem to be an impediment to doing their MP responsibilities.
Parliamentary Sleaze on 20:54 - Nov 12 with 858 viewsSadoldgit

Parliamentary Sleaze on 14:21 - Nov 12 by Berber

On that basis, no MP could hold down a ministerial post either. Given how many ministers and committee chairmen get re-elected, there doesn't seem to be an impediment to doing their MP responsibilities.

I understand that ministers have staff who help with constituency matters and at least their duties are part and parcel of running the country. The only person who benefits from Cox’s second job is Cox.
And as someone said the other day, if he earns so much more from his other job, doesn’t being an MP become his second job?
Parliamentary Sleaze on 06:11 - Nov 13 with 828 viewsJaySaint

Parliamentary Sleaze on 20:54 - Nov 12 by Sadoldgit

I understand that ministers have staff who help with constituency matters and at least their duties are part and parcel of running the country. The only person who benefits from Cox’s second job is Cox.
And as someone said the other day, if he earns so much more from his other job, doesn’t being an MP become his second job?

The only person that benefits from Starmer's 2nd job is Starmer

Parliamentary Sleaze on 14:37 - Nov 13 with 757 viewsBerber

Parliamentary Sleaze on 20:54 - Nov 12 by Sadoldgit

I would guess that his second job is the one he spends least time on. Under normal circumstances it is easy enough to see how often an MP has attended and voted. I am not seeking to defend Cox, I don't know all the ins and outs, he may have a whole army of assistants for his private work for all we know. I don't think it is a good idea to prevent MPs from holding other, disclosed positions. Given how few attend the house sessions (it is more than half empty most of the time) I would venture that there is a significant amount of free time if they want to take it even allowing for committees etc. The most important thing is that any other activities are not detrimental to their MP role. There doesn't appear to be any evidence of this in this case.
Parliamentary Sleaze on 15:06 - Nov 13 with 747 viewsBazza

Parliamentary Sleaze on 14:37 - Nov 13 by Berber

I would guess that his second job is the one he spends least time on. Under normal circumstances it is easy enough to see how often an MP has attended and voted. I am not seeking to defend Cox, I don't know all the ins and outs, he may have a whole army of assistants for his private work for all we know. I don't think it is a good idea to prevent MPs from holding other, disclosed positions. Given how few attend the house sessions (it is more than half empty most of the time) I would venture that there is a significant amount of free time if they want to take it even allowing for committees etc. The most important thing is that any other activities are not detrimental to their MP role. There doesn't appear to be any evidence of this in this case.

I would expect my MP to prioritise his constituency work. To ensure that outside earnings should be limited to say £10k or 15 hours a month. Also MPs should be required to work for at least 5 years outside politics before being candidates or Spads.
A lot of higher earners outside politics are forbidden to work for other companies contractually.
No lobbying except directly by companies to MPs, without payment.
Login to get fewer ads

Parliamentary Sleaze on 17:29 - Nov 13 with 709 viewsSadoldgit

Parliamentary Sleaze on 06:11 - Nov 13 by JaySaint

The only person that benefits from Starmer's 2nd job is Starmer

What is his second job?
Parliamentary Sleaze on 19:06 - Nov 13 with 675 viewsJaySaint

Parliamentary Sleaze on 17:29 - Nov 13 by Sadoldgit

What is his second job?

Lawyer
He has received Money from the job since being Leader of the opposition.

Even the liberals are at it - https://inews.co.uk/news/liberal-democrat-mp-layla-moran-deeply-regrets-paid-wor
But, she is sorry (and not a Tory), so it is alright.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2021 19:13]

Parliamentary Sleaze on 00:25 - Nov 14 with 622 viewsSadoldgit

Parliamentary Sleaze on 19:06 - Nov 13 by JaySaint

Lawyer
He has received Money from the job since being Leader of the opposition.

Even the liberals are at it - https://inews.co.uk/news/liberal-democrat-mp-layla-moran-deeply-regrets-paid-wor
But, she is sorry (and not a Tory), so it is alright.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2021 19:13]

Wrong. He handed in his license several years ago and is no longer allowed to practice as a lawyer. He does not have a second job.
Parliamentary Sleaze on 06:34 - Nov 14 with 597 viewsJaySaint

Parliamentary Sleaze on 00:25 - Nov 14 by Sadoldgit

Wrong. He handed in his license several years ago and is no longer allowed to practice as a lawyer. He does not have a second job.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1518432/keir-starmer-news-labour-party-t

Maybe not as leader, but as an MP, he was fine with it

As said, they are all at it. Even Corbyn took lots of money as a 2nd income!
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 6:36]

Parliamentary Sleaze on 07:26 - Nov 14 with 586 viewsHeisenberg

Parliamentary Sleaze on 06:34 - Nov 14 by JaySaint

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1518432/keir-starmer-news-labour-party-t

Maybe not as leader, but as an MP, he was fine with it

As said, they are all at it. Even Corbyn took lots of money as a 2nd income!
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 6:36]

Got a link or evidence about Corbyn taking a lot of money from a second income ?

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Parliamentary Sleaze on 07:37 - Nov 14 with 578 viewsJaySaint

Parliamentary Sleaze on 07:26 - Nov 14 by Heisenberg

Got a link or evidence about Corbyn taking a lot of money from a second income ?

Is is very easy to find. He even appeared on a state TV channel doing it

Parliamentary Sleaze on 08:34 - Nov 14 with 563 viewsHeisenberg

Parliamentary Sleaze on 07:37 - Nov 14 by JaySaint

Is is very easy to find. He even appeared on a state TV channel doing it

I can’t find anything substantial. Like I said could you post a link ?

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'

Parliamentary Sleaze on 08:47 - Nov 14 with 552 viewsJaySaint

Parliamentary Sleaze on 08:34 - Nov 14 by Heisenberg

I can’t find anything substantial. Like I said could you post a link ?

not look particularly hard then (which is of no surprise). Clearly what I post, you will dismiss. Mainly because he is no Tory.

I am sure (well, not really) you will admit, taking additional income has/is taking place across all parties.

Parliamentary Sleaze on 11:10 - Nov 14 with 521 viewsHeisenberg

Parliamentary Sleaze on 08:47 - Nov 14 by JaySaint

not look particularly hard then (which is of no surprise). Clearly what I post, you will dismiss. Mainly because he is no Tory.

I am sure (well, not really) you will admit, taking additional income has/is taking place across all parties.

You posted that Corbyn earned lots of money from second jobs. I’m no fan of his but merely asked you to provide evidence. The truth is Boris and his mates are up to there necks in sleaze. It’s what happens when you have a lying chancer in charge.

Parliamentary Sleaze on 11:23 - Nov 14 with 515 viewsJaySaint

Parliamentary Sleaze on 11:10 - Nov 14 by Heisenberg

You posted that Corbyn earned lots of money from second jobs. I’m no fan of his but merely asked you to provide evidence. The truth is Boris and his mates are up to there necks in sleaze. It’s what happens when you have a lying chancer in charge.

I said 2nd income, not job.
They are up to it. Lammy, Starmer, Corbyn, Libdems, SNP & the Tories Probably why little fuss is being made out of it beyond the media.

Of course, it only matters when it is Boris and co.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 11:24]

Parliamentary Sleaze on 11:51 - Nov 14 with 502 viewsSadoldgit

Parliamentary Sleaze on 08:47 - Nov 14 by JaySaint

Yes it is, which is why I called the thread Parliamentary Sleaze and not Tory Sleaze. In many cases the rules have not been broken which begs the question do we need to change the rules? The other issue that incredible amount of cronisism under this particular government, which has reached new heights during the pandemic. Contracts given without a proper tender process all over the place.
Parliamentary Sleaze on 12:51 - Nov 14 with 478 viewsHeisenberg

Parliamentary Sleaze on 11:23 - Nov 14 by JaySaint

I said 2nd income, not job.
They are up to it. Lammy, Starmer, Corbyn, Libdems, SNP & the Tories Probably why little fuss is being made out of it beyond the media.

Of course, it only matters when it is Boris and co.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 11:24]

Ok so provide evidence of his second income.

Parliamentary Sleaze on 12:59 - Nov 14 with 473 viewsJaySaint

Parliamentary Sleaze on 12:51 - Nov 14 by Heisenberg

Ok so provide evidence of his second income.

find it yourself.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 12:59]

Parliamentary Sleaze on 13:39 - Nov 14 with 456 viewsSouthamptonfan

MP's are elected to work hard for and represent, their constituents. That is their job. They are clearly not busy enough, yet there is loads that needs doing in the country. They get paid upwards from 70k a year. That is more than most people get. They should be doing the job they were elected for and get paid for. They shouldn't have any spare time for other jobs. The distaste in the mouth is how much are we paying these MP's per hour? They might only be working 10 hours a week for all we know, so 7000 pounds an hour. The rest of the week they are earning another load of dosh, when they should be spending the time improving our lives. They impose rules on us and accountability, only to break all the rule themselves, across all parties. It's not on.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 13:42]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Parliamentary Sleaze on 14:56 - Nov 14 with 437 viewsHeisenberg

Parliamentary Sleaze on 12:59 - Nov 14 by JaySaint

find it yourself.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 12:59]

Corbyn published his tax returns. His salary showed his MPs salary plus his payment for at the time being leader of the opposition. On top of that he had two pensions bringing his total income to around 148k. He paid around 45ks tax on it. No second job or income.

Parliamentary Sleaze on 15:05 - Nov 14 with 422 viewsJaySaint

Parliamentary Sleaze on 14:56 - Nov 14 by Heisenberg

Corbyn published his tax returns. His salary showed his MPs salary plus his payment for at the time being leader of the opposition. On top of that he had two pensions bringing his total income to around 148k. He paid around 45ks tax on it. No second job or income.

Its ok, he is no Tory.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-press-tv-2012-11927924

Parliamentary Sleaze on 14:58 - Nov 15 with 368 viewsBazza

Parliamentary Sleaze on 15:05 - Nov 14 by JaySaint

Its ok, he is no Tory.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-press-tv-2012-11927924

Only £45k tax on £148k income seems low
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024