Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Parliamentary Sleaze 10:38 - Nov 8 with 3240 viewsSadoldgit

Whilst I don’t have a problem with lobbying per se (there are clearly benefits in many cases) I do draw the line at MPs on corporation payrolls or taking money to ask questions in the House or to forward a particular company’s interest. The rules do need to be changed and we need much more transparency about what is going on. MPs are public servants and get paid a good wage for doing their jobs. They should not be making money on the side thanks to their privileged position and be in someone’s pocket. Yes, it has gone on forever but we have seen more and more of it and now is the time for it to stop.
Parliamentary Sleaze on 15:14 - Nov 15 with 331 viewsBerber

Parliamentary Sleaze on 14:58 - Nov 15 by Bazza

Only £45k tax on £148k income seems low

I detest the guy's politics but if he had allowable expenses, that would reduce the taxable amount.
Parliamentary Sleaze on 08:42 - Nov 16 with 249 viewssaint901

Parliamentary Sleaze on 14:56 - Nov 14 by Heisenberg

Corbyn published his tax returns. His salary showed his MPs salary plus his payment for at the time being leader of the opposition. On top of that he had two pensions bringing his total income to around 148k. He paid around 45ks tax on it. No second job or income.

If his total income was around £148k, then without any tax relief for expenses, his tax bill would have been in the mid £50k range.

To get to the £48k tax figure quoted he would need to have allowable expenses* of around £15k a year. For an MP who holds a senior (Opposition) post, that level of expenses is not that outrageous.

*MPs expenses tax regime is much more generous than that for the general taxpaying public.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024