Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If Djokovic was a football player...? 10:53 - Jan 6 with 3346 viewssaint901

We all know that countries have different approaches to vaccination and how to resist/fight/manage Covid.

Some are contemplating mandatory vaccination and by implication that would mean that visitors to the country may also be required to be vaccinated.

If that happens and some players from a visiting club or national team are unvaccinated, would they - should they - be allowed into the country to play a match?

Football is after all just a game, an entertainment and that is hardly enough reason to breach or make exemptions from a mandate being imposed upon full time residents. The resentment that generates (ergo Australia) is political dynamite.

So, should unvaccinated players be able to compete in countries with a vaccine mandate?
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 09:20 - Jan 11 with 1105 viewssaint901

Ultimately it's about respect.

Players (regardless of sport) need to respect the rules of their game (although many push them to the edge and beyond), their team mates, competitors and those running the game.

It also means respecting the conventions of the venue.

Personally I find Djpkovic's actions disrespectful. He knew the rules for entry to Australia and has perhaps tried to be cynically avoid them by allegedly having Covid on the only date that fits the scenario for him.

So far the Courts have held that the Aus immigration officer overstepped and it may yet be the case that his visa is revoked. I hope it is and that it sends a message that just because you can play a bit, does not mean that you cannot spread Covid, nor actually die from it.
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 09:31 - Jan 11 with 1097 viewsSadoldgit

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 20:25 - Jan 10 by Jellybaby

As it always seems with you Sogs on anything Covid related, you miss the main point, it is not about Djokovic, it's about a once great country imposing draconian and discriminatory rules on ANYBODY who believes they have a right to say what does or does not get injected in to their own bodies.

Tell that to his supporters who seem to think that somehow he is special. It has nothing to do with anything but a sovereign country trying to protect its borders from a disease that has killed over 5m people so far. Australia’s strict rules have meant that it has been able to keep its death toll lower than many countries. If only we had been as strict eh? I don’t think anyone gives a toss what he does or doesn’t put into his body, but spreading a deadly virus is something else. It looks very likely that this man continued to carry on as normal once he tested positive so who knows how many other people the selfish got infected. If you are worried about people’s rights, what about the right not to be infected by a dangerous virus by someone who knowingly has it?
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 10:22 - Jan 11 with 1074 viewsChesham_Saint

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 09:31 - Jan 11 by Sadoldgit

Tell that to his supporters who seem to think that somehow he is special. It has nothing to do with anything but a sovereign country trying to protect its borders from a disease that has killed over 5m people so far. Australia’s strict rules have meant that it has been able to keep its death toll lower than many countries. If only we had been as strict eh? I don’t think anyone gives a toss what he does or doesn’t put into his body, but spreading a deadly virus is something else. It looks very likely that this man continued to carry on as normal once he tested positive so who knows how many other people the selfish got infected. If you are worried about people’s rights, what about the right not to be infected by a dangerous virus by someone who knowingly has it?

I tend to agree with your main point Sogs, but if you seriously think the people of this country would have put up with the kind of strict measures the Australians have had I think you're way off....

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 10:55 - Jan 11 with 1053 viewsSadoldgit

I don’t disagree Chesh, but when you compare 150k deaths with 2387, perhaps the Aussies could teach us a thing or two about protecting our population during a pandemic.
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 11:38 - Jan 11 with 1043 viewsChesham_Saint

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 10:55 - Jan 11 by Sadoldgit

I don’t disagree Chesh, but when you compare 150k deaths with 2387, perhaps the Aussies could teach us a thing or two about protecting our population during a pandemic.

How can they, an isolated island on the other side of the world with a massively far less densely populated society and a huge land mass be remotely comparable to the UK? You might as well compare our rates to those of a space station orbiting the earth...

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 11:55 - Jan 11 with 1029 viewsSadoldgit

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 11:38 - Jan 11 by Chesham_Saint

How can they, an isolated island on the other side of the world with a massively far less densely populated society and a huge land mass be remotely comparable to the UK? You might as well compare our rates to those of a space station orbiting the earth...

We are an island too 😉. Yes they have bigger land mass and smaller population, but they still have big urban conurbations and the death rate proportionally is much, much smaller.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_death_rates_by_country
[Post edited 11 Jan 2022 12:05]
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 15:18 - Jan 11 with 988 viewssaint901

It matters little that Aus followed one strategy, the UK a different one and Serbia yet another.

Perhaps a better measure of the relative success of Australia's strategy is to look at deaths per 100k of population.

USA is 255, Uk = 225, Serbia is 186, Aus is 9

On that measure Australia has been more than 20 times "better" than Serbia.

Unfortunately the myopic crew behind Djokovic can't respect that.
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 15:19 - Jan 11 with 988 viewsBison

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 11:55 - Jan 11 by Sadoldgit

We are an island too 😉. Yes they have bigger land mass and smaller population, but they still have big urban conurbations and the death rate proportionally is much, much smaller.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_death_rates_by_country
[Post edited 11 Jan 2022 12:05]

Its a trade off SoG's would you of liked to of lived like this - ( You probably would of seeing you seem to judge everything by deaths rather than quality of life ) -

When Australia was hit with a surge of COVID-19 cases in late July just weeks after declaring victory against the first wave, it prompted one of the world's longest lockdowns in Melbourne, for example, closing virtually everything that wasn't a grocery store or hospital for nearly four months.

In many cities, roadblocks were established to ensure people stayed home. Even when restrictions were eased there was a nightly curfew, and in the initial lockdown people weren't allowed to be more than five kilometres away from home in certain regions. Break a rule, and you could face a fine of $1,300.

School at first had an extended holiday break – and then education was moved, in many places, entirely online. Restrictions were sometimes so draconian that in some areas, it was illegal to walk your dog even on your own street.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Login to get fewer ads

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 15:20 - Jan 11 with 986 viewssaint68

Seems a few want Djokovic lead into the woods and shot as some form of discouragement for those trying to swerving a vaccine..funny that.

Take the vaccine or we'll kill you...brilliant

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 15:33 - Jan 11 with 982 viewsPaleRider

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 15:18 - Jan 11 by saint901

It matters little that Aus followed one strategy, the UK a different one and Serbia yet another.

Perhaps a better measure of the relative success of Australia's strategy is to look at deaths per 100k of population.

USA is 255, Uk = 225, Serbia is 186, Aus is 9

On that measure Australia has been more than 20 times "better" than Serbia.

Unfortunately the myopic crew behind Djokovic can't respect that.

And we are worse than Serbia....Turkmenistan have a rate of zero, China's is minimal. What's your point?
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 16:58 - Jan 11 with 951 viewsSadoldgit

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 15:20 - Jan 11 by saint68

Seems a few want Djokovic lead into the woods and shot as some form of discouragement for those trying to swerving a vaccine..funny that.

Take the vaccine or we'll kill you...brilliant

Don’t take the vaccine and spread the virus (possibly killing others). Brilliant.
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 17:04 - Jan 11 with 948 viewsSadoldgit

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 15:19 - Jan 11 by Bison

Its a trade off SoG's would you of liked to of lived like this - ( You probably would of seeing you seem to judge everything by deaths rather than quality of life ) -

When Australia was hit with a surge of COVID-19 cases in late July just weeks after declaring victory against the first wave, it prompted one of the world's longest lockdowns in Melbourne, for example, closing virtually everything that wasn't a grocery store or hospital for nearly four months.

In many cities, roadblocks were established to ensure people stayed home. Even when restrictions were eased there was a nightly curfew, and in the initial lockdown people weren't allowed to be more than five kilometres away from home in certain regions. Break a rule, and you could face a fine of $1,300.

School at first had an extended holiday break – and then education was moved, in many places, entirely online. Restrictions were sometimes so draconian that in some areas, it was illegal to walk your dog even on your own street.

No point in having plenty of civil liberties if you are dead or stuck on a ventilator Bison. The vaccines and new meds have changed the situation quite a lot now, but before the vaccination programme I would have been more than happy to have seen an earlier and more draconian lockdown and tighter border controls. I have no idea of the number of lives that could have been saved, but logic dictates that it could be a significant number, especially if we had not put infected people into care homes.
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 18:24 - Jan 11 with 932 viewssaint68

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 16:58 - Jan 11 by Sadoldgit

Don’t take the vaccine and spread the virus (possibly killing others). Brilliant.

Or take a vaccine and still roam about infecting others..thats also very common place..possibly killing others..is an occurence wether vaxxed or not.there is no data to actually confirm which of the two groups are more transmittive...so 50/50 would be probably about right

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 19:01 - Jan 11 with 920 viewsBison

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 17:04 - Jan 11 by Sadoldgit

No point in having plenty of civil liberties if you are dead or stuck on a ventilator Bison. The vaccines and new meds have changed the situation quite a lot now, but before the vaccination programme I would have been more than happy to have seen an earlier and more draconian lockdown and tighter border controls. I have no idea of the number of lives that could have been saved, but logic dictates that it could be a significant number, especially if we had not put infected people into care homes.

Not for me I'm afraid SoG's.

I think civil liberties are very important , I will take my chances in a free society even though the risks maybe slightly higher.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 19:07 - Jan 11 with 914 viewsericofarabia

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 18:24 - Jan 11 by saint68

Or take a vaccine and still roam about infecting others..thats also very common place..possibly killing others..is an occurence wether vaxxed or not.there is no data to actually confirm which of the two groups are more transmittive...so 50/50 would be probably about right

Which absolutely obliterates the usefulness or validity of Covid Passports which is their aim.

The initial plan of not letting anybody accept Covid Passports into sporting events etc was fortunately watered down to include recent LFT, which at least represents your current condition, not an invisible cloak of invincibility , because you had a jab up to 6 months ago.
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 11:02 - Jan 16 with 828 viewsSadoldgit

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 06:38 - Jan 10 by JaySaint

Seems it does.

Seems it doesn’t 😉
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 05:51 - Jan 17 with 800 viewsJaySaint

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 11:02 - Jan 16 by Sadoldgit

Seems it doesn’t 😉

LOL fair point.

Interesting, I wonder if the same view is shared by you regarding those not vaccinated/refusing to disclose their status illegally entering this country?

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 09:08 - Jan 17 with 763 viewsSadoldgit

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 05:51 - Jan 17 by JaySaint

LOL fair point.

Interesting, I wonder if the same view is shared by you regarding those not vaccinated/refusing to disclose their status illegally entering this country?

Why not Jay? Rules are rules. If I want to go to certain countries I have to have Yellow Fever, Hepatitis etc jabs. I don’t see why this should be any different if that is what the immigration rules are. Why would I want superspreaders turning up here? That was one of the problems at the outset of the pandemic, that we were slow to put restrictions on travellers to this country. Obviously it was a problem prevaccine, but we had the option of a quarantine period which we didn’t use as quickly as we should have.
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 06:45 - Jan 18 with 721 viewsJaySaint

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 09:08 - Jan 17 by Sadoldgit

Why not Jay? Rules are rules. If I want to go to certain countries I have to have Yellow Fever, Hepatitis etc jabs. I don’t see why this should be any different if that is what the immigration rules are. Why would I want superspreaders turning up here? That was one of the problems at the outset of the pandemic, that we were slow to put restrictions on travellers to this country. Obviously it was a problem prevaccine, but we had the option of a quarantine period which we didn’t use as quickly as we should have.

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 17:23 - Jan 18 with 662 viewssaint68

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 06:45 - Jan 18 by JaySaint

Reality check for Sogs and the covid cheerleaders..the silence from them on that extremely relevant information speaks volumes.

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 18:41 - Jan 18 with 645 viewsSadoldgit

Covid cheerleaders? Listen to yourself. You come across like one of those Alpha Men Assemble fruitcakes.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2022 18:47]
If Djokovic was a football player...? on 20:46 - Jan 18 with 626 viewssaint68

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 18:41 - Jan 18 by Sadoldgit

Covid cheerleaders? Listen to yourself. You come across like one of those Alpha Men Assemble fruitcakes.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2022 18:47]

Seems your 151000 covid deaths is wildly of the mark according to the ONS ...but you're more concerned about a bunch of men that aren't anywhere near as dangerous as SAGE. Reality seems to have abandoned your inner cranium..

Don't worry Sogs..it'll all come out in the wash.

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 23:34 - Jan 19 with 577 viewsSadoldgit

If Djokovic was a football player...? on 20:46 - Jan 18 by saint68

Seems your 151000 covid deaths is wildly of the mark according to the ONS ...but you're more concerned about a bunch of men that aren't anywhere near as dangerous as SAGE. Reality seems to have abandoned your inner cranium..

Don't worry Sogs..it'll all come out in the wash.

Yes, nearer 175,000 it seems.

Getting back to the Australia situation, this is an interesting read
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna11509
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024