Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens 11:00 - Apr 8 with 1010 viewsSaintsNews

Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens 8th Apr 2024 11:00
After the woeful performance up at Blackburn Rovers, Southampton manager Russell Martin has launched a passionate defence of his tactics and of Jack Stephen's, but most Saints supporters at the game will not recognise the game he is describing. 14

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 11:29 - Apr 8 with 947 viewsPatfromPoole

The Brighton Buddha seems to use the word "incredible" a lot.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that his use of the word "incredible" is ,er, incredible....

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 11:32 - Apr 8 with 944 viewssaint901

There is more than an element of truth in this article.

RM knows one way to play and his continuous experiments with formations and personnel make for a very unsettled team. It's ridiculous that 6 or so games from the end of the season and he still does not have a settled first 11.

He is also worrying wrong about Jack Stephens. Yes, I accept that we've seen centre backs played in midfield or at least in advance of the back line. Those players however are arguably better than Jack (John Stones, Vincent Kompany, any one of several Liverpool players) and it took them a couple of seasons to understand that role and get used to it. Stephens has been shoved into the position after probably 15 years of being coached as a CB. No wonder he's like a fish out of water at times.

If that is a system RM wants, then he should practice on the training ground and revert to in the last 20 minutes of a match we're winning easily in order to give the players a chance to understand it. Not from minute 1 of a game we have to win.

It's clear that the criticism of his team and tactics is something he is aware of. Whilst 30,000 fans may not know as much as him about tactics, nor work with the players every day, nor have people watching how the opposition set up, we do recognise a team low on confidence when we see one.

Against Blackburn, RM's post match comments were all about keeping a clean sheet. We need to do that of course, but not at the expense of stifling any attacking intent. Three shots, one on target and not until the 80th minutes is a demonstration why we are 4th and not 1st or 2nd.

If he's so arrogant that he cannot see the obvious, then he need to pick a team which puts Stephens at the tip of triangle in which Bednarek and THB are the base.

That means moving a more creative player to the bench but is the price to be paid.
Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 11:39 - Apr 8 with 914 viewsPatfromPoole

I begin to scratch my head a bit when I see him quoting SKY Sports pundits.

The likes of Klopp and Guardiola would only quote a pundit if they were being criticised, and they would refer to it to ridicule the pundit concerned, whilst being cagey enough to use it as motivation for their teams.

It is almost as if the Brighton Buddha is seeking validation for his "incredible" methods.

Somebody said on Twitter last week that he may well previously have been an estate agent, and if he were to take you round a 2-bed house and claimed that it was a 3-bed house, if you were to challenge him by saying "but it's a 2-bed house", he would criticise you for not thinking outside the box. That rather amused me.

Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 12:51 - Apr 8 with 799 viewsSouthamptonfan

Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 11:29 - Apr 8 by PatfromPoole

The Brighton Buddha seems to use the word "incredible" a lot.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that his use of the word "incredible" is ,er, incredible....

RM will have to get results or he will face the wrath of the fans, especially at home. The fans will turn and he will have to change. It started to get toxic after the Leicester home game, and then tactics changed and we beat Leeds. We shall see.

In terms of Stephens, I like Stephens, especially at this level but absolutely agree that he should be playing as centre back and nothing else. Playing him in central midfield is stupid. Play him with Bednerak, it's as simple as that.

And, Nick (and others), the bigger problem is and has always been Sport Republic. They again appointed RM, a man with no experience of promotion, no experience of success, and a track record of only having one way of playing. We all complained about Ralph, then Sport Republic appointed somebody worse. Jason Wilcox has seen the light and is out of here. We never hear a word from Sport Republic and the club has lost its pride and soul. Keep blaming the managers if we like, but the next Sport Republic will be more of the same. The problem is higher up.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 13:46 - Apr 8 with 704 viewsPatfromPoole

Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 12:51 - Apr 8 by Southamptonfan

RM will have to get results or he will face the wrath of the fans, especially at home. The fans will turn and he will have to change. It started to get toxic after the Leicester home game, and then tactics changed and we beat Leeds. We shall see.

In terms of Stephens, I like Stephens, especially at this level but absolutely agree that he should be playing as centre back and nothing else. Playing him in central midfield is stupid. Play him with Bednerak, it's as simple as that.

And, Nick (and others), the bigger problem is and has always been Sport Republic. They again appointed RM, a man with no experience of promotion, no experience of success, and a track record of only having one way of playing. We all complained about Ralph, then Sport Republic appointed somebody worse. Jason Wilcox has seen the light and is out of here. We never hear a word from Sport Republic and the club has lost its pride and soul. Keep blaming the managers if we like, but the next Sport Republic will be more of the same. The problem is higher up.

Brighton Buddha was Wilcox's man though.....

I think Nathan Jones was down to Ankersen, but Ruben Selles was down to Semmens, who was not a Sport Republic stooge.

That gamble probably did for Semmens.

Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 14:08 - Apr 8 with 672 viewsSaintNick

Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 12:51 - Apr 8 by Southamptonfan

Stephens is indeed a centre back, but is not as good as either Harwood-Bellis or Bednarek, so should only play there if there is no one else, at a psuh he can play full back but again of there is no one else.

As Pat has pointed out Jason Wilcox was the man behind Russell Martin, Semmens behind Jones, Sport Republic appointed Wilcox to do these sort of things, Wilcox is gone because one of the biggest clubs in the World want his services, nothing to do with Sport Republic.

Having a track record of winning things and success isn't the main criteria for a manager, it never has been, plenty of managers have succeeded at the highest level without winning things, when we appointed Pochettino his only experience as a manager was 3 years fighting relegation at Espanyol, Graham Potter a few minor trophies in Sweden before joining Swansea, in his one season at Swansea they finished 10th before joining Brighton.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 14:28 - Apr 8 with 627 viewsSouthamptonfan

Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 14:08 - Apr 8 by SaintNick

Stephens is indeed a centre back, but is not as good as either Harwood-Bellis or Bednarek, so should only play there if there is no one else, at a psuh he can play full back but again of there is no one else.

As Pat has pointed out Jason Wilcox was the man behind Russell Martin, Semmens behind Jones, Sport Republic appointed Wilcox to do these sort of things, Wilcox is gone because one of the biggest clubs in the World want his services, nothing to do with Sport Republic.

Having a track record of winning things and success isn't the main criteria for a manager, it never has been, plenty of managers have succeeded at the highest level without winning things, when we appointed Pochettino his only experience as a manager was 3 years fighting relegation at Espanyol, Graham Potter a few minor trophies in Sweden before joining Swansea, in his one season at Swansea they finished 10th before joining Brighton.

Sport Republic want this "tippy-tappy" football. They appointed Wilcox, who then in turn appointed Martin. Both Wilcox and Martin want this style of football, both appointed by those above. It comes down to those at the top. They keep appointing all these managers, it's not a one off.

And as for experience, who would you rather take the helm, a manager who has won the Championship 5 times or a manager who has never won it? You might get lucky, but I would go for experience every time.

If you have an operation, would you want your surgeon to be one who has successfully operated on 500 patients, or one who has operated on 2?

I also disagree about Stephens. Bednerak was the one on Saturday who made a bad pass which let Blackburn in. Stephens made a great goal scoring tackle against Middlesbrough, running back from his own half. I also remember his goal line clearance against West Brom. He works hard and is passionate, just has a few mistakes in him, but the others do too. Not been over impressed with Harwood-Bellis to be honest.
[Post edited 8 Apr 14:40]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 14:53 - Apr 8 with 599 viewsPatfromPoole

Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 14:08 - Apr 8 by SaintNick

I thought that Ankersen appointed Jones, but that was such a disaster that Semmens got his way in then appointing Selles (?).....

Login to get fewer ads

Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 14:57 - Apr 8 with 593 viewsSaintNick

Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 14:53 - Apr 8 by PatfromPoole

I thought that Ankersen appointed Jones, but that was such a disaster that Semmens got his way in then appointing Selles (?).....

There was a suggestion on this board that Semmens knew Jones and therefore pushed it through, at that stage Sport Republic were sitting back and letting Semmens do the work in the mistaken belief he knew what he was doing.

Selles was at the club and when he won 2 out of his first 3 games the fans were singing his name

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 16:02 - Apr 8 with 521 viewssaint901

At the end of the day, we need to know what the owners want before we consider the rest of the equation.

Do they want promotion?

That would mean a few tens of millions on new players in the hope of staying in the league and collecting on that investment when they come to sell in 5 years, 10 years?

Or do they want to be a Champ team developing players for PL clubs. That requires less investment and lower but more certain returns.

(In football terms, staying a Champ team will see a decline in quality of team and players).

To me, RM seems like an appointment you make for option 2, staying in the Champ.

If we are still there next season, opposition managers will be looking at us thinking that they can probably beat us at their place and probably get a draw at ours because the style we play is easy to disrupt and play against.
Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 16:05 - Apr 8 with 516 viewssaint22

I think the issue here is more the fact that no one was asking when would Jack be back in the team before
Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 16:12 - Apr 8 with 513 viewsfelly1

Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 14:57 - Apr 8 by SaintNick

There was a suggestion on this board that Semmens knew Jones and therefore pushed it through, at that stage Sport Republic were sitting back and letting Semmens do the work in the mistaken belief he knew what he was doing.

Selles was at the club and when he won 2 out of his first 3 games the fans were singing his name

Of course we were singing Selles name, we won two games.. That in itself was an
achievement with such a pants team we had last season.
Any win was met with a joyous release as they'd become so rare!

Naturally the defeats started to mount so became a useless manager.. That's the name of the game.

He's doing well at Reading in rubbish circumstances so
I'm pleased for the guy.

I don't think there is a great deal of difference with THB, Bedders and Stephens.
I'd agree Stephens is a little weaker with tackles and blocks but he's the better with his passing and general shit housery.
Russell Martin Admits He Won't Change Tactics Or Drop Jack Stephens on 22:41 - Apr 8 with 357 viewssledger

the way we tactically set up and play does jack stephens,jan bednerak and harwood bellis no favours whatsoever that is fact and borne out this season by the amount of goals weve conceded trouble is russel martin doesnt see it that way,his previous 2 teams show his way is flawed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024