Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matt Grimes 19:36 - May 9 with 1417 viewsKeithHaynes

Has played every single minute of every league game for the last three seasons !

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Matt Grimes on 19:38 - May 9 with 1249 viewsblackpooljack

Didnt he serve a 1 match ban somerime during the last 3 seasons ?
Matt Grimes on 19:43 - May 9 with 1242 viewsKeithHaynes

Matt Grimes on 19:38 - May 9 by blackpooljack

Didnt he serve a 1 match ban somerime during the last 3 seasons ?

I thought so, but the second tier podcast reckon that’s right.

Matt Grimes on 19:49 - May 9 with 1223 viewsKeithHaynes

No reds 🤷🏻‍♂️

Matt Grimes on 19:52 - May 9 with 1211 viewsReslovenSwan1

If would have been great to see him rifle the ball into the goal like he did with the Man City penalty. Sadly he tried to be cute and blew the chance for a good win.

Forget about being clever and make the keeper work. Ruthless must be the way from the captain.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Matt Grimes on 19:58 - May 9 with 1198 viewsKeithHaynes

I have to add, it’s my mistake, but the stat / post has clearly messed with my head 😂

But what a stat !

Matt Grimes on 19:59 - May 9 with 1195 viewsWhiterockin

Even with his relatively high wages he probably offers the best value for money considering minutes played.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Matt Grimes on 20:45 - May 9 with 1123 viewstheloneranger

He served a 1 match ban against Wigan in the 2022/23 season, after collecting a fifth caution of the season.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Matt Grimes on 20:50 - May 9 with 1118 viewsKeithHaynes

Matt Grimes on 20:45 - May 9 by theloneranger

He served a 1 match ban against Wigan in the 2022/23 season, after collecting a fifth caution of the season.

Ah,that'll be it,top sleuthing.

Login to get fewer ads

Matt Grimes on 23:09 - May 9 with 1018 viewsKeithHaynes

Matt Grimes on 19:59 - May 9 by Whiterockin

Even with his relatively high wages he probably offers the best value for money considering minutes played.

He also has to take responsibility for the awful performances as well.

Matt Grimes on 06:00 - May 10 with 970 viewsblackpooljack

Matt Grimes on 20:45 - May 9 by theloneranger

Knew I was right. Edit it's come back to me now as there was a big debate amongst the fans about who would get the armband and incredulously Russy gave it to Lati.
[Post edited 10 May 6:04]
Matt Grimes on 07:54 - May 10 with 922 viewsRichardO

Value for money even if the.team being built around him are not winning games when they should?

We have seen with Joe Allen in the team there is a different mindset in him, it is almost as if Grimes needs to be dragged out of his safety zone.

Is that indicative of the change seen at the end of last season and this, if there is a chance of danger to our position in the league or an incentive for promotion he can up his game but if we are safe he is not focused enough to do his job properly.

I know how the team plays is not all about him but he has a big say in what areas of the pitch we play in and he must be hundred percent aware of when to come short or not to if the opposition initiates a high press.

For me he joins the midfield way too late leaving our wingers strand for options and the opposition players time to turn to run at him exposing his lack of pace, which in it self maybe the biggest issue in how he plays.

Seen too many players have to cover his weaknesses to their detriment of their perceived abilities.

Successive managers have realised he is not the best at delivering at set pieces and they couldn't rely on him to be the last man in your defensive set ups at corners,

But we need better players around him to give him more options I hear, more of a case of having better players around him to get him out of his comfort zone.

He will be caught on the ball as he takes an extra touch which also kills attacks stone dead as he deliberate the best passing option. For me he doesn't offer the levels of intensity needed to drive his team forward.

Hope I'm.proven wrong and William can get a decent tune out of him but I doubt it, we have seen glimpses but not enough for me., he slows down the play way too much.
Matt Grimes on 08:33 - May 10 with 902 viewsshandyjack

massively underrated by the fans. He does so much of the dog work, clearing up the play and retaining/winning back possession and keeping us ticking over.
Hindered by having to play alongside a donkey in Fulton who does nothing any good. Get a good number 8 alongside him and he's a different player with a little more time to pick out players.

Poll: Expectation for the season

Matt Grimes on 08:49 - May 10 with 886 viewsWhiterockin

Matt Grimes on 07:54 - May 10 by RichardO

Value for money even if the.team being built around him are not winning games when they should?

We have seen with Joe Allen in the team there is a different mindset in him, it is almost as if Grimes needs to be dragged out of his safety zone.

Is that indicative of the change seen at the end of last season and this, if there is a chance of danger to our position in the league or an incentive for promotion he can up his game but if we are safe he is not focused enough to do his job properly.

I know how the team plays is not all about him but he has a big say in what areas of the pitch we play in and he must be hundred percent aware of when to come short or not to if the opposition initiates a high press.

For me he joins the midfield way too late leaving our wingers strand for options and the opposition players time to turn to run at him exposing his lack of pace, which in it self maybe the biggest issue in how he plays.

Seen too many players have to cover his weaknesses to their detriment of their perceived abilities.

Successive managers have realised he is not the best at delivering at set pieces and they couldn't rely on him to be the last man in your defensive set ups at corners,

But we need better players around him to give him more options I hear, more of a case of having better players around him to get him out of his comfort zone.

He will be caught on the ball as he takes an extra touch which also kills attacks stone dead as he deliberate the best passing option. For me he doesn't offer the levels of intensity needed to drive his team forward.

Hope I'm.proven wrong and William can get a decent tune out of him but I doubt it, we have seen glimpses but not enough for me., he slows down the play way too much.

I did not comment on his quality as a player only on his value for money in relation to minutes played.

Matt Grimes on 09:05 - May 10 with 855 viewsRichardO

Matt Grimes on 08:49 - May 10 by Whiterockin

I did not comment on his quality as a player only on his value for money in relation to minutes played.

Ok point taken, I went off one with regard to his vakue to the team maybe I'm was a bit harsh on him but I think some would like to see him given a rest at times given when he is in top of his game is a an asset against some teams.
Matt Grimes on 09:57 - May 10 with 807 viewsWhiterockin

Matt Grimes on 09:05 - May 10 by RichardO

Ok point taken, I went off one with regard to his vakue to the team maybe I'm was a bit harsh on him but I think some would like to see him given a rest at times given when he is in top of his game is a an asset against some teams.

That's fair. Personally I think minutes played against cost is important if we are looking at our wage structure. Whether these players should be playing is another matter. We need a balanced squad of experience and youth in my opinion and some of our players are not giving value for money and it needs to be rectified ASAP. Paying over £10K a week to someone continually on the bench is not on and I don't mean just Yates.

Matt Grimes on 11:41 - May 10 with 733 viewsSullutaCreturned

That's not how I figure value for money. if I lease something that works ok, just ok, and it's a 3 year contract, then I found out I am easily overpaying and could get a better performing model for less, or lets say the same money....is that value for money?

Grimes is the ever present in an under performing midfield. The common denominator and yet not many seem to blame him for our dire performances!
Matt Grimes on 11:50 - May 10 with 724 viewsWhiterockin

Matt Grimes on 11:41 - May 10 by SullutaCreturned

That's not how I figure value for money. if I lease something that works ok, just ok, and it's a 3 year contract, then I found out I am easily overpaying and could get a better performing model for less, or lets say the same money....is that value for money?

Grimes is the ever present in an under performing midfield. The common denominator and yet not many seem to blame him for our dire performances!

Out of our current squad who would you replace him with. Not counting injured players.

Matt Grimes on 13:38 - May 10 with 651 viewsRichardO

Matt Grimes on 11:50 - May 10 by Whiterockin

Out of our current squad who would you replace him with. Not counting injured players.

And there in lies one of our issues we had Downes we knew we had to replace him if he went but we didn't, can't remember what contract he was on thought it was 3 years I would have stuck with him for another yea, ok under Cooper and Potter surely the aim was to get back into the Prem while the parachute payments were still there to get the club finances settled, while the loan cover any quality shortfalls we had as we offloaded some of the financial burdens but in the fourth season where was the long term planning.
Should have keptDownes that extra year and made sure we had replacements readyfor the next year, after a year of so many loans and run down contract we will be lucky to have a team next year.
[Post edited 10 May 15:12]
Matt Grimes on 14:11 - May 10 with 618 viewsWhiterockin

Matt Grimes on 13:38 - May 10 by RichardO

And there in lies one of our issues we had Downes we knew we had to replace him if he went but we didn't, can't remember what contract he was on thought it was 3 years I would have stuck with him for another yea, ok under Cooper and Potter surely the aim was to get back into the Prem while the parachute payments were still there to get the club finances settled, while the loan cover any quality shortfalls we had as we offloaded some of the financial burdens but in the fourth season where was the long term planning.
Should have keptDownes that extra year and made sure we had replacements readyfor the next year, after a year of so many loans and run down contract we will be lucky to have a team next year.
[Post edited 10 May 15:12]

Exactly. There is no building in place, everything is short term. Those who criticise Grimes and I am often one can't put forward a better option. Yes I would say Allen, but you couldn't plan for a season around him, we desperately need a box to box midfielder as an option. For me it is the third priority after a keeper and a number nine.

Matt Grimes on 14:25 - May 10 with 594 viewsonehunglow

Matt Grimes on 14:11 - May 10 by Whiterockin

Exactly. There is no building in place, everything is short term. Those who criticise Grimes and I am often one can't put forward a better option. Yes I would say Allen, but you couldn't plan for a season around him, we desperately need a box to box midfielder as an option. For me it is the third priority after a keeper and a number nine.

Great pro

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Matt Grimes on 15:17 - May 10 with 554 viewsKeithHaynes

Matt Grimes on 14:11 - May 10 by Whiterockin

Connor Barron 👍

Contract ends in two weeks.

Matt Grimes on 15:26 - May 10 with 535 viewsWhiterockin

Matt Grimes on 15:17 - May 10 by KeithHaynes

Connor Barron 👍

Contract ends in two weeks.

A good age, didn't we offer half a million in January.

Matt Grimes on 15:42 - May 10 with 517 viewsSullutaCreturned

Matt Grimes on 11:50 - May 10 by Whiterockin

Thereby lies our big mistake. We invested lot f money in Grimes instead of looking for better. There are players we cannot afford to sign because we only want to pay 7-10k per week and grimes is on over 17k per week.

That isn't value for money given hiw much he slows us down. If you only calculate value by minutes played then we have had some very good value shite players like Paul Raynor. Also, as you say, who else is there? Is that value or necessity?

I read someone call him under rated well as far as Im concerned he's over rated. Many and maybe all of our worst performances this last 3 years have been with him "dictating" play. If he's the conductor then we are a shite orchestra.

And finally, I'll keep coming back to this, before we offered him this nice new contract we didn't one single genuine,concrete offer for him. Even Russell martin didnt want him, if he's so good then why is that? Martin came back for Manning, other good players were sold but nbody wanted Grimes. That to me shows really how good he is.
Matt Grimes on 16:31 - May 10 with 485 viewsKeithHaynes

Matt Grimes on 15:26 - May 10 by Whiterockin

A good age, didn't we offer half a million in January.

Yes, last minute, declined because the bid was too late for them to replace him. He’s free in a few weeks with a number of clubs interested.

Matt Grimes on 19:09 - May 10 with 421 viewsdobjack2

Matt Grimes on 09:05 - May 10 by RichardO

I think that you were a bit harsh and that he would benefit from a better balanced midfield. As would others. But is he playing to orders?

Probably could do with a rest from time to time but we don't have the quality in depth to do that if he is fit and ready to play.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024