Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swans players killed in The Great War 22:58 - Sep 7 with 17400 viewsWitneyjack

I know I have probably left it too late but I am travelling to Ypres on Friday with three friends on another war graves visit. I've tried a couple of Professor Farmer's books but have been unable to find the names of any Swansea Town players or staff killed during the First World War. I thought that if any were buried in Flanders I could include it in our itinerary and lay a wreath etc.
If anybody has any info or knowledge, I would appreciate their help.

Thanks.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 07:58 - Sep 8 with 9316 viewsLohengrin

Unfortunately, mate, there is no definitive list of Swansea Town players and staff who fell in The Great War. It is known, however, that five players from the 1914/15 team were killed. How sobering is that? I've got details for three and I'm trying my best to fill in the two blanks. With this being the centenary of The Great War it would be fitting if they could be remembered on a plaque in reception at The Liberty. There was one at The Vetch if anybody knows of its current whereabouts?

Here's the three I've got:

Spencer Bassett, Royal Garrison Artillery. Killed 11-Apr-1917, buried at Pozieres.
Joe Bulcock, Welsh Regiment. Killed 20-Apr-1918, buried at Haringhe (Bandaghem)
Edward Mitchell, Royal Field Artillery. Killed 06-Jan-1916, buried at Bethune.

Have a safe trip. It's a kind thing you're doing.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Swans players killed in The Great War on 09:01 - Sep 8 with 9267 viewsWarwickHunt

Swans players killed in The Great War on 07:58 - Sep 8 by Lohengrin

Unfortunately, mate, there is no definitive list of Swansea Town players and staff who fell in The Great War. It is known, however, that five players from the 1914/15 team were killed. How sobering is that? I've got details for three and I'm trying my best to fill in the two blanks. With this being the centenary of The Great War it would be fitting if they could be remembered on a plaque in reception at The Liberty. There was one at The Vetch if anybody knows of its current whereabouts?

Spencer Bassett, Royal Garrison Artillery. Killed 11-Apr-1917, buried at Pozieres.

Great post, mate.

If Steve Jenkins can have a plaque then these guys should be remembered...

This post has been edited by an administrator
Swans players killed in The Great War on 09:06 - Sep 8 with 9258 viewsPhil_S

Where at the Vetch was the plaque

I had a discussion with someone about a commemoration a couple of months back (I think it was a Trust meeting but it may have been at the forum)- wasn't aware there was one at the Vetch, would definitely be good to locate that
Swans players killed in The Great War on 09:13 - Sep 8 with 9245 viewsWarwickHunt

Swans players killed in The Great War on 09:06 - Sep 8 by Phil_S

I had a discussion with someone about a commemoration a couple of months back (I think it was a Trust meeting but it may have been at the forum)- wasn't aware there was one at the Vetch, would definitely be good to locate that

It's next to the clock.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 10:01 - Sep 8 with 9193 viewsLohengrin

Swans players killed in The Great War on 09:06 - Sep 8 by Phil_S

Unless my memory is playing tricks on me it was in what I believe was a player's lounge, of sorts, adjoined to the Harry Griffiths bar. The hope is it's in storage somewhere and wasn't just abandoned to the tender mercies of the wrecking ball. Incredibly disrespectful if the latter proves to be the case.

Like I said in my previous post I'm doing my best to fill in the two missing names, perhaps there may be someone who reads this forum has a line on them?

EDIT: Phil, could you make this a stickie thread for a while?
[Post edited 8 Sep 2014 10:02]

Swans players killed in The Great War on 10:26 - Sep 8 with 9173 viewsScoobyWho

Swans players killed in The Great War on 09:01 - Sep 8 by WarwickHunt

Great post, mate.

If Steve Jenkins can have a plaque then these guys should be remembered...

This post has been edited by an administrator

Absolutely and 100% correct.
At last !

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Swans players killed in The Great War on 11:17 - Sep 8 with 9135 viewsCurcubita_Ultra

A few years back I read a book called Swansea Pals about the Swansea Pals 14th Service Battalion by Bernard Lewis published by Pen and Sword that wad part of the Welsh Regimenthat was formed in the early years of WW1...

I've just dug the book out of the loft and there is a picture on page 199 of the memorial plaque to "The Immortal Memory of The Fallen of Swansea Cricket and Football Club" with 22 names on it although I suspect this is more to do with rugby as St Helens was used as a drill ground and also had a firing range.

It's a cracking and very detailed book for anyone interested in the Swansea Batallion of Kitcheners Army...
Swans players killed in The Great War on 16:31 - Sep 8 with 9049 viewsWitneyjack

Thanks Loh, I'm actually going to Bethune on this trip!! I'll try CWGC and see where his grave is!!
Login to get fewer ads

Swans players killed in The Great War on 16:32 - Sep 8 with 9044 viewsWitneyjack

Swans players killed in The Great War on 11:17 - Sep 8 by Curcubita_Ultra

A few years back I read a book called Swansea Pals about the Swansea Pals 14th Service Battalion by Bernard Lewis published by Pen and Sword that wad part of the Welsh Regimenthat was formed in the early years of WW1...

I've just dug the book out of the loft and there is a picture on page 199 of the memorial plaque to "The Immortal Memory of The Fallen of Swansea Cricket and Football Club" with 22 names on it although I suspect this is more to do with rugby as St Helens was used as a drill ground and also had a firing range.

It's a cracking and very detailed book for anyone interested in the Swansea Batallion of Kitcheners Army...

I've got this book, I will dig it out!!
Swans players killed in The Great War on 16:41 - Sep 8 with 9026 viewsLohengrin

Swans players killed in The Great War on 16:31 - Sep 8 by Witneyjack

Thanks Loh, I'm actually going to Bethune on this trip!! I'll try CWGC and see where his grave is!!

Do that, pal. They go out of their way to be helpful and facilitate visits to particular sites. The CWGC do an absolutely fantastic job.

Try and leave a Swans scarf along with the poppies on Ed Mitchell's grave, and get some photos for the programme.

Swans players killed in The Great War on 16:44 - Sep 8 with 9018 viewsWitneyjack

I will be now going to Haringhe to see the grave of Joe Bulcock. I will lay some form of commemoration and take some photos for the club if they would like them.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 16:54 - Sep 8 with 9006 viewsLohengrin

Swans players killed in The Great War on 16:44 - Sep 8 by Witneyjack

I will be now going to Haringhe to see the grave of Joe Bulcock. I will lay some form of commemoration and take some photos for the club if they would like them.

I'm sure they would want to do a special feature in the programme.

Swans players killed in The Great War on 16:55 - Sep 8 with 9004 viewsWitneyjack

Swans players killed in The Great War on 16:41 - Sep 8 by Lohengrin

Do that, pal. They go out of their way to be helpful and facilitate visits to particular sites. The CWGC do an absolutely fantastic job.

Try and leave a Swans scarf along with the poppies on Ed Mitchell's grave, and get some photos for the programme.

Yes I've been a few times to both France and Belgium. Visiting Mons this time as well. I've found Joe Bulcock's grave so will visit there. I can't find Ed Mitchell's details on CWGC......
Swans players killed in The Great War on 17:00 - Sep 8 with 8996 viewsWitneyjack

Swans players killed in The Great War on 11:17 - Sep 8 by Curcubita_Ultra

Just took a look but unfortunately that's the rugby and cricket teams.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 17:16 - Sep 8 with 8975 viewsLohengrin

Swans players killed in The Great War on 16:55 - Sep 8 by Witneyjack

Yes I've been a few times to both France and Belgium. Visiting Mons this time as well. I've found Joe Bulcock's grave so will visit there. I can't find Ed Mitchell's details on CWGC......

The databases do have the occasional gaps and mix-ups.

Sergeant EDWARD THOMAS MITCHELL
58214 Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery
Edward was wounded in action and died of his wounds aged 25 on 6th January 1916
He was the son of Edward a lift engineman and Jane A Mitchell
Edward can be found on the 1911 census a driver with the 24th Battery, Royal Field Artillery
at Bulford Barracks Bulford Camp Sailsbury Whiltshire
Edward was a professional football player for Reading and Swansea football clubs
Born Middlesbrough (South Bank) enlisted Scarborough
BETHUNE TOWN CEMETERY

Swans players killed in The Great War on 17:20 - Sep 8 with 8973 viewsWitneyjack

Swans players killed in The Great War on 16:41 - Sep 8 by Lohengrin

I've just found his grave. He is under E.T.Mitchell. I will also pay his grave a visit. Watch this space for photos on my return.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 18:34 - Sep 8 with 8910 viewsLohengrin

Swans players killed in The Great War on 17:20 - Sep 8 by Witneyjack

I've just found his grave. He is under E.T.Mitchell. I will also pay his grave a visit. Watch this space for photos on my return.

Edward Mitchell's service record states he landed in France on 16th August 1914 and took part in the retreat from Mons, so you will literally be following in his footsteps when you go there, Witney.

As a member of The RFA he would have had a torrid time of it trying to keep the German Uhlans at bay, preventing them turning the flanks and engulfing the rear formations. Firing off a few shells, often over open sights as the pursuit was a close one and their numbers overwhelming. Limbering up the horses and racing past his sister battery before quickly unlimbering again to provide covering fire for the other battery to leapfrog in turn. On and on this went, day and night, from 23rd August to the 5th of September. The deafening noise, the confusion, the utter exhaustion and death all around, at every turn. Hard to imagine.

Swans players killed in The Great War on 18:51 - Sep 8 with 8888 viewsWitneyjack

Swans players killed in The Great War on 18:34 - Sep 8 by Lohengrin

Edward Mitchell's service record states he landed in France on 16th August 1914 and took part in the retreat from Mons, so you will literally be following in his footsteps when you go there, Witney.

As a member of The RFA he would have had a torrid time of it trying to keep the German Uhlans at bay, preventing them turning the flanks and engulfing the rear formations. Firing off a few shells, often over open sights as the pursuit was a close one and their numbers overwhelming. Limbering up the horses and racing past his sister battery before quickly unlimbering again to provide covering fire for the other battery to leapfrog in turn. On and on this went, day and night, from 23rd August to the 5th of September. The deafening noise, the confusion, the utter exhaustion and death all around, at every turn. Hard to imagine.

The British Army showed huge character and resilience during this retreat. This is why it is important that young people are educated about the sacrifices made so that future generations continue to remember them.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 18:59 - Sep 8 with 8872 viewsLohengrin

Swans players killed in The Great War on 18:51 - Sep 8 by Witneyjack

The British Army showed huge character and resilience during this retreat. This is why it is important that young people are educated about the sacrifices made so that future generations continue to remember them.

Precisely.

Swans players killed in The Great War on 19:03 - Sep 8 with 8871 viewsPacemaker

I don't know if you have visited the Footballers memorial near Deville Wood on the Somme. Primarily for the Footballers battalion which was Middlesex based but the memorial is for all footballers killed in action. Visited there about two years ago lots of wreaths from fans of all clubs.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/staticFiles/bb/5d/0,,10794~155067,00.pdf

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Swans players killed in The Great War on 19:37 - Sep 8 with 8833 viewsPhil_S

Received this email this morning in response to this thread

--
picked up a thread from Witneyjack on your site earlier, appealing for information on Swans' players who died in the Great War. I havn't got a password to put information on your site but feel free to use it if you think it will help him. The following is a list of what I have on file. I also enclose information on Jimmy Collins whose Albert Medal was sold at auction for £18,000 earlier this year.

Not surprisingly, Swansea City FC Media department failed to recognise the 100th anniversary of the day Britain entered one of the costliest conflicts in history — the First World War — with fighting continuing until the 11th of November 1918-Armistice Day, that involved the club’s former footballers.

Here is a list of former Swans’ footballers who were killed in action during WW1, or saw service during the conflict.
SPENCER BASSETT,
Died: Pozieres, Somme 11/4/1917, was killed in action at the Somme while acting as a Bombardier in the 140th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery.

JOE BULCOCK,
Died: Belgium 24/4/1918, Enlisted in the Welsh Regiment, but was a casualty of WW1, died on Saturday 24th April 1918, aged 39. His grave is in the Military Cemetery at Poperinge, Belgium.
ARTHUR CLEVERLEY
Died: Killed in action in Thiepval, Somme, France 4/8/1916, he was killed in action while serving as a Private in The King's Liverpool Regiment at Thiepual on the Somme, France in 4/8/1916.
TED MITCHELL
Died: Killed in action 15/1/1916, previously in the Royal Field Artillery

Swans’ Players who saw war-time service
Fred Burch, served in the Navy during WW1.
Joe Coleman, served in the Navy on Minesweepers
Stan Cubberley, During WW1 he enlisted with the M.T. section of the R.A.S.C. and in August 1919 was based at Grove Park.
Ernie Fisher, Enlisting in the Army during WW1,
Jock Hamilton, gained Miltary Medal during WW1
Fred Harris, Served with the Nile Balloon Section, Royal Flying Corps during WW1.
Alex Houston, During WW1 he had been in the Black Watch, a sergeant major in the Pioneer Corps.
Percy Jones, enlisted in RAF
Fred Mortimer, August 1914 Mortimer was called to the Front by the Grenadier Guards he joined the colours as a Reservist and went overseas. In September 1916 he was wounded at the Battle of the Somme, and was in hospital in Blackburn for 8 months, and in 1918 he was discharged from the Army.
Many Swans’ players worked in Government Factories during WW1.

Jimmy Collins,
After the Auction
Estimated at £5-£7K, Sold for £18000!! Hope it went to the family!
A Superb Great War 1917 Albert Medal in Gold to Lance-Corporal J. Collins, Royal Army Medical Corps, For Gallantry in Attempting to Save the Life of an Armed Lunatic Who Had Escaped His Charge at an Advanced Field Dressing Station. Having Entered the Trench System He Could Not Save the Man's Life, Although He Did Manage to Save the Life of Two Others By His Actions; Despite Having His Leg Nearly Blown Off by a Primed Grenade Dropped by the Lunatic, and Requiring 14 Operations to Remove Shrapnel, He Went Onto Play Professional Football For 15 Years With Swansea Town A.F.C.
Albert Medal, 1st Class, For Gallantry in Saving Life on Land, gold and enamel, the reverse officially engraved 'Presented by His Majesty to Pte. (Acting Lce-Corpl.) James Collins, 14th. Field Ambulance, R.A.M.C. for Gallantry in Saving Life in France on the 11th. November 1917.', extremely fine, scarce, with a photograph of the recipient outside Buckingham Palace having received his Albert Medal
Wales Online, 22/4/2014
My Interview with James McCarthy for article on Jimmy Collins
James Collins tasted success for Swansea Town after World War I, despite the shrapnel in his leg. Hero soldier James Collins was told by doctors to have his leg amputated after he stood on a bomb to save two pals during WWI. But the Lance Corporal refused to have the op — and went on to play for Swansea City for 15 years whilst riddled with shrapnel.
The London Gazette reported: “On the 11th November, 1917, near an advanced dressing station in France, a lunatic soldier escaped from his escort and ran away along a trench. “Collins ran after him, and when he got near him the man threatened to throw a bomb at him. Collins closed with the man, who then withdrew the pin from the bomb and let it fall in the trench. “In an endeavour to save the patient and two other soldiers who were near, Collins put his foot upon the bomb, which exploded, killing the lunatic and injuring Collins severely. Fortunately the two soldiers were not hurt. “Collins, who could easily have got out of the way, ran the gravest risk of losing his life in order to save others.” He was awarded a gold Albert Medal for his actions. It was given him by King George V.
Military expert Alister Williams penned Heart of a Dragon, the VCs of Wales and the Welsh Regiments. “The Albert Medal was a predecessor of the George Cross,” he said. It was normally given to civilians. “So it is unusual for someone to get an Albert Medal in a military action,” Alister said. He thought Collins may have received the honour as he was with the Royal Army Medical Corps rather than a fighting unit. “The Albert Medal was done away with,” he said. “People were allowed to hand them in and be given a George Cross but many people said, ‘No, I was not awarded the George Cross, I was given the Albert Medal.’”
Colin Jones is author of Swansea Town and City Football Club, The Complete Record 1912-2012. He said: “Making his league debut for the Swans in the second league game of the 1920-21 season at the Vetch Field against Watford, he played almost all of his career with the Swans as a wing half and centre half.
“But during the 1921-22 season, following injuries to regular forwards Edmundson and Beynon, he played the last five league games of the season as centre forward, or inside right.” He once scored a hat trick against Bristol Rovers in an 8-1 win and made 21 league appearances during the Swans Third Division South Championship success in the 1924-25 season. “The following season he played in all the rounds of the FA Cup, when the Swans reached the semi-finals,” Colin said. But he returned to military life despite his sporting success. “In 1943 he joined the army for the second time, going to France in 1944,” Colin said. “He sustained a bad accident to his leg whilst in Holland, spending a lot of time in hospital, undergoing treatment after three operations. “After the war, after failing to get back into football he joined the NAAFI staff civilian section.” He volunteered to work in Palestine and Haifa. “By April 1949 he had returned to the UK and rejoined his old club Chester, where he was involved in looking after the club’s younger players,” Colin said. “When his health was beginning to fail he took over the reserve team in season 1962-63.” During his time with the Swans, Collins lived in the city’s Mansel Terrace.
But on retiring from football he moved to Lochee, Scotland, where he was born. He died there on September 20, 1963, at the age of 67.
His medal is now set to be sold by London auctioneers Spink on Thursday. It is expected to fetch £5,000 to £7,000
--
Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:22 - Sep 8 with 8777 viewsLohengrin

Swans players killed in The Great War on 19:37 - Sep 8 by Phil_S

--
picked up a thread from Witneyjack on your site earlier, appealing for information on Swans' players who died in the Great War. I havn't got a password to put information on your site but feel free to use it if you think it will help him. The following is a list of what I have on file. I also enclose information on Jimmy Collins whose Albert Medal was sold at auction for £18,000 earlier this year.

Not surprisingly, Swansea City FC Media department failed to recognise the 100th anniversary of the day Britain entered one of the costliest conflicts in history — the First World War — with fighting continuing until the 11th of November 1918-Armistice Day, that involved the club’s former footballers.

Here is a list of former Swans’ footballers who were killed in action during WW1, or saw service during the conflict.
SPENCER BASSETT,
Died: Pozieres, Somme 11/4/1917, was killed in action at the Somme while acting as a Bombardier in the 140th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery.

JOE BULCOCK,
Died: Belgium 24/4/1918, Enlisted in the Welsh Regiment, but was a casualty of WW1, died on Saturday 24th April 1918, aged 39. His grave is in the Military Cemetery at Poperinge, Belgium.
ARTHUR CLEVERLEY
Died: Killed in action in Thiepval, Somme, France 4/8/1916, he was killed in action while serving as a Private in The King's Liverpool Regiment at Thiepual on the Somme, France in 4/8/1916.
TED MITCHELL

Stan Cubberley, During WW1 he enlisted with the M.T. section of the R.A.S.C. and in August 1919 was based at Grove Park.
Fred Harris, Served with the Nile Balloon Section, Royal Flying Corps during WW1.
Alex Houston, During WW1 he had been in the Black Watch, a sergeant major in the Pioneer Corps.
Fred Mortimer, August 1914 Mortimer was called to the Front by the Grenadier Guards he joined the colours as a Reservist and went overseas. In September 1916 he was wounded at the Battle of the Somme, and was in hospital in Blackburn for 8 months, and in 1918 he was discharged from the Army.

Jimmy Collins,
After the Auction
A Superb Great War 1917 Albert Medal in Gold to Lance-Corporal J. Collins, Royal Army Medical Corps, For Gallantry in Attempting to Save the Life of an Armed Lunatic Who Had Escaped His Charge at an Advanced Field Dressing Station. Having Entered the Trench System He Could Not Save the Man's Life, Although He Did Manage to Save the Life of Two Others By His Actions; Despite Having His Leg Nearly Blown Off by a Primed Grenade Dropped by the Lunatic, and Requiring 14 Operations to Remove Shrapnel, He Went Onto Play Professional Football For 15 Years With Swansea Town A.F.C.
Albert Medal, 1st Class, For Gallantry in Saving Life on Land, gold and enamel, the reverse officially engraved 'Presented by His Majesty to Pte. (Acting Lce-Corpl.) James Collins, 14th. Field Ambulance, R.A.M.C. for Gallantry in Saving Life in France on the 11th. November 1917.', extremely fine, scarce, with a photograph of the recipient outside Buckingham Palace having received his Albert Medal
Wales Online, 22/4/2014
James Collins tasted success for Swansea Town after World War I, despite the shrapnel in his leg. Hero soldier James Collins was told by doctors to have his leg amputated after he stood on a bomb to save two pals during WWI. But the Lance Corporal refused to have the op — and went on to play for Swansea City for 15 years whilst riddled with shrapnel.
The London Gazette reported: “On the 11th November, 1917, near an advanced dressing station in France, a lunatic soldier escaped from his escort and ran away along a trench. “Collins ran after him, and when he got near him the man threatened to throw a bomb at him. Collins closed with the man, who then withdrew the pin from the bomb and let it fall in the trench. “In an endeavour to save the patient and two other soldiers who were near, Collins put his foot upon the bomb, which exploded, killing the lunatic and injuring Collins severely. Fortunately the two soldiers were not hurt. “Collins, who could easily have got out of the way, ran the gravest risk of losing his life in order to save others.” He was awarded a gold Albert Medal for his actions. It was given him by King George V.
Military expert Alister Williams penned Heart of a Dragon, the VCs of Wales and the Welsh Regiments. “The Albert Medal was a predecessor of the George Cross,” he said. It was normally given to civilians. “So it is unusual for someone to get an Albert Medal in a military action,” Alister said. He thought Collins may have received the honour as he was with the Royal Army Medical Corps rather than a fighting unit. “The Albert Medal was done away with,” he said. “People were allowed to hand them in and be given a George Cross but many people said, ‘No, I was not awarded the George Cross, I was given the Albert Medal.’”
Colin Jones is author of Swansea Town and City Football Club, The Complete Record 1912-2012. He said: “Making his league debut for the Swans in the second league game of the 1920-21 season at the Vetch Field against Watford, he played almost all of his career with the Swans as a wing half and centre half.
“But during the 1921-22 season, following injuries to regular forwards Edmundson and Beynon, he played the last five league games of the season as centre forward, or inside right.” He once scored a hat trick against Bristol Rovers in an 8-1 win and made 21 league appearances during the Swans Third Division South Championship success in the 1924-25 season. “The following season he played in all the rounds of the FA Cup, when the Swans reached the semi-finals,” Colin said. But he returned to military life despite his sporting success. “In 1943 he joined the army for the second time, going to France in 1944,” Colin said. “He sustained a bad accident to his leg whilst in Holland, spending a lot of time in hospital, undergoing treatment after three operations. “After the war, after failing to get back into football he joined the NAAFI staff civilian section.” He volunteered to work in Palestine and Haifa. “By April 1949 he had returned to the UK and rejoined his old club Chester, where he was involved in looking after the club’s younger players,” Colin said. “When his health was beginning to fail he took over the reserve team in season 1962-63.” During his time with the Swans, Collins lived in the city’s Mansel Terrace.
But on retiring from football he moved to Lochee, Scotland, where he was born. He died there on September 20, 1963, at the age of 67.
His medal is now set to be sold by London auctioneers Spink on Thursday. It is expected to fetch £5,000 to £7,000
--

That's brilliant, Phil. Sign this chap up for the forum.

So it was four not five Swansea Town players who fell. I stand happily corrected. I had the original figure way back from David Farmer but the list posted up looks solidly researched and is more than likely to be the final word.

We now have the names, we have Witneyjack off to Flanders to take photographs, all we need is for the club and stadium/council to consent to the erection of a plaque.

If funds are needed for it I'm sure that's something that can be sorted out fairly easily.

Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:31 - Sep 8 with 8762 viewsmorningstar

Swans players killed in The Great War on 19:37 - Sep 8 by Phil_S

--

SPENCER BASSETT,

JOE BULCOCK,
ARTHUR CLEVERLEY
TED MITCHELL

Jimmy Collins,
After the Auction
Wales Online, 22/4/2014
--

James Collins! When you see some players who have made it to the Swansea City hall of fame? Absolutely WOW WOW WOW! One of the best reads on here in years!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:32 - Sep 8 with 8760 viewsWitneyjack

Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:22 - Sep 8 by Lohengrin

That's brilliant, Phil. Sign this chap up for the forum.

So it was four not five Swansea Town players who fell. I stand happily corrected. I had the original figure way back from David Farmer but the list posted up looks solidly researched and is more than likely to be the final word.

We now have the names, we have Witneyjack off to Flanders to take photographs, all we need is for the club and stadium/council to consent to the erection of a plaque.

If funds are needed for it I'm sure that's something that can be sorted out fairly easily.

Totally agree. I'm sure funds could be raised via appeal. I'd be more than happy to contribute myself. I will provide pictures from the two Flanders graves and am happy to be involved in any other way.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:35 - Sep 8 with 8756 viewsPhil_S

Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:32 - Sep 8 by Witneyjack

Totally agree. I'm sure funds could be raised via appeal. I'd be more than happy to contribute myself. I will provide pictures from the two Flanders graves and am happy to be involved in any other way.

OK let me head off and make enquiries I would like to think this is not something for an appeal
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024