Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is There Intelligent Life Out There 22:33 - Nov 18 with 8803 viewsLord_Bony

Dr. Brian Cox seems to think so...maybe 30 billion earth like inhabitable planets in our galaxy alone...remember there are countless billions of galaxies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0276pxp/human-universe-3-are-we-alone

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 09:43 - Nov 19 with 1261 viewsParlay

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 09:34 - Nov 19 by WarwickHunt

The accountancy thread is positively bursting with sexual tension.

This one is like eavesdropping on stoned sixth formers.

Those sixth formers stones or not are being incredibly factual as it goes, if you dont understand something just stick your hand up.

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 09:58 - Nov 19 with 1250 viewsWarwickHunt

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 09:43 - Nov 19 by Parlay

Those sixth formers stones or not are being incredibly factual as it goes, if you dont understand something just stick your hand up.

What - up your arse? I'd be afraid I'd hit your brain...

You're the master of pointless debates that disappear up their own arse so I'll leave you to it, Dim.

Shouldn't you really establish what is meant by "life" before you go any further though?

[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 9:59]
Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 09:58 - Nov 19 with 1250 viewsPonderosa

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 09:43 - Nov 19 by Parlay

Look out, Sir Patrick Moore's been on the sherry

Bring The Missus

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 10:36 - Nov 19 with 1229 viewsepaul

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 09:58 - Nov 19 by Ponderosa

Look out, Sir Patrick Moore's been on the sherry

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 11:38 - Nov 19 with 1202 viewsParlay

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 09:58 - Nov 19 by WarwickHunt

What - up your arse? I'd be afraid I'd hit your brain...

You're the master of pointless debates that disappear up their own arse so I'll leave you to it, Dim.

Shouldn't you really establish what is meant by "life" before you go any further though?

[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 9:59]

So "colour me" you don't understand then? (Again)

They are simple facts that shouldn't really be that hard to grasp. Im more than happy to explain them to you old bean but you are being awfully silly in angling for the answers.

Like i said, if you are struggling then instead of pointlessly trolling and making yourself look a plum, just stick your hand up and ask. You will find it far more rewarding.

As for establishing what "life" is... You had no idea the last time you jumped in on a debate over your head so id focus on getting one down before you start another wally fest of a contribution.

Dimi.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 11:39]

Forum celebrity

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 11:44 - Nov 19 with 1189 viewsParlay

Some extracts before we go further to save some pointless waffle, id be more than happy to discuss them... Hope you enjoy

"More stars than grains of sand on every beach on earth":-

There are 10 times more stars in the night sky than grains of sand in the world's deserts and beaches, scientists say.
Astronomers have worked out that there are 70 thousand million million million - or seven followed by 22 zeros - stars visible from the Earth through telescopes. The total is said to be the most accurate estimate yet of the number of stars.
Dr Simon Driver, who led the study at the Australian National University, said: "Even for a professional astronomer used to dealing in monster numbers, this is mind boggling."
Without a telescope it is only possible to see around 5,000 stars from the darkest places of the Earth, and just 100 in the middle of a large city.
Rather than count the stars one by one, Dr Driver and colleagues from the Royal Observatory, Edinburgh, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, St Andrews University and the University of New South Wales, counted all the galaxies in one small region of the universe close to the Earth.
By measuring the brightness of each galaxy, the team were able to estimate how many stars it contained and extrapolated for the entire night sky.
The findings were presented yesterday at a meeting of the International Astronomical Union in Sydney.

"1.3 million earths can fit into our own sun":-

So, how many Earths can fit in the Sun? The answer is that it would take 1.3 million Earths to fill up the Sun. That’s a lot of Earths.
The Sun makes up 99.86% of the mass of the Solar System. And it’s the giant planets like Jupiter and Saturn which make the most of that remaining .14% of the Solar System.

If you’d like to do the calculation yourself, here are your numbers. The volume of the Sun is 1.412 x 1018 km3. And the volume of the Earth is 1.083 x 1012 km3. So if you divide the volume of the Sun by the volume of the Earth, you get 1,300,000.

And lastly, "there are "suns" that exist that are 100 million + times more volumous than our own sun":-

Of course, the Sun is a fairly average sized stars. There are some enormous stars out there. For example, the red giant Betelgeuse has a radius of 936 times the radius of the Sun. That gives it hundreds of millions of times more volume than the Sun.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 11:46]

Forum celebrity

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 11:48 - Nov 19 with 1185 viewsWarwickHunt

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 11:38 - Nov 19 by Parlay

So "colour me" you don't understand then? (Again)

They are simple facts that shouldn't really be that hard to grasp. Im more than happy to explain them to you old bean but you are being awfully silly in angling for the answers.

Like i said, if you are struggling then instead of pointlessly trolling and making yourself look a plum, just stick your hand up and ask. You will find it far more rewarding.

As for establishing what "life" is... You had no idea the last time you jumped in on a debate over your head so id focus on getting one down before you start another wally fest of a contribution.

Dimi.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 11:39]

You should focus on using capitals, brackets and apostrophes properly before you start talking your usual tedious, self-congratulatory, pseudo-intellectual, student bollocks. Plum.
Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 11:49 - Nov 19 with 1183 viewsSenhin

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 00:22 - Nov 19 by skippyjack

Obviously life is out there.. there is a 1 in centillion chance we're the only planet with oxygen.. so it's a long shot that we're the only ones.. anyone who believes there isn't is deluded.. the bookies always win mun.

And, even on Earth, not all life is oxygen based.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

Login to get fewer ads

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 11:57 - Nov 19 with 1173 viewsCatullus

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 02:02 - Nov 19 by Highjack

I saw that documentary and he seemed to say that it's almost certain there is life out there, but he also said that complex, intelligent life is very very uncommon or even unlikely. This is based on the fact that all complex organisms came from the chance freak coming together of two types of bacteria that sort of ingested each other but somehow survived, and went on to multiply into multi cell organisms. This has only happened once in 5 billion years that the Earth has been here. He also went on to say about the 'evolutionary bottlenecks' that benefitted us that were unlikely to happen elsewhere.

I'm not sure how certain he can be that anything is unlikely. As we have no knowledge of anything beyond a certain distance, and space goes on forever and ever......and ever, there is so much we don't know and most probably never will.
And saying there is oxygen somewhere so probably life is a little closed minded. For all we know there are life forms that don't need oxygen to survive.
If something happened on this planet, and there are unlimited numbers of planets like it (as there must be in an infinite universe) then life surely must exist.
And saying that mathematically anything can happen, but it's just as likely nothing will happen, must be flawed. As something will happen. What that something is, none of us know.
But it is entirely feasible that alien life forms, millenia older than us, have discovered how to travel safely at speeds we can't even imagine.
There's also that theory about being able to fold space and travel instantly somewhere trillions of miles away.
In an infinite universe, anything is possible.

In short, yes, I believe there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 12:05 - Nov 19 with 1167 viewsParlay

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 11:48 - Nov 19 by WarwickHunt

You should focus on using capitals, brackets and apostrophes properly before you start talking your usual tedious, self-congratulatory, pseudo-intellectual, student bollocks. Plum.

So you have jumped in head first and come up looking a plum again with no response to the content (which are actually facts) and now (incorrectly) resorting to "improper use of brackets"

So I'll take that as an apology then.

Consider it accepted. Just hope you learn this time.

I've taken the time to give you some extracts from scientists to quantify what I taught you earlier, so do your best, I'm sure myself, Dr Brian Cox and Sir Patrick Moore would love to hear your counter. *scoff*
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 12:17]

Forum celebrity

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 12:17 - Nov 19 with 1138 viewsWarwickHunt

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 12:05 - Nov 19 by Parlay

So you have jumped in head first and come up looking a plum again with no response to the content (which are actually facts) and now (incorrectly) resorting to "improper use of brackets"

I've taken the time to give you some extracts from scientists to quantify what I taught you earlier, so do your best, I'm sure myself, Dr Brian Cox and Sir Patrick Moore would love to hear your counter. *scoff*

Arf. I know what facts are, you dopey c*nt.

Do everyone on here a massive favour and stop being such a jumped-up, self-righteous little bellwhiff, there's a good lad.

You're way beyond f*cking tedious.

*waits for obsessive Dimi to have the last word*
Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 12:17 - Nov 19 with 1137 viewsHighjack

"I'm not sure how certain he can be that anything is unlikely. As we have no knowledge of anything beyond a certain distance, and space goes on forever and ever......and ever, there is so much we don't know and most probably never will. "

He says it's unlikely because we've observed it's unlikely. It was one freak occurrence in 5 billion years that created the leap from single cell life to complex multicell life, then there were another series of freak occurrences, for example the meteor that was said to wipe out the dinosaurs that led to mammals dominating the planet. Life passed through several 'evolutionary bottlenecks' which led to us coming into existence. His argument was that these freak occurrences that led to us were so unlikely and there were so many of them that the chances of similar events happening elsewhere were small. I think his quote was something on the lines of that if a planet is in the habitable zone and there's liquid water, life is inevitable, but intelligent life isn't.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 12:19 - Nov 19 with 1133 viewsWarwickHunt

Counter to what, you f*cking halfwit?

F*ck me, you're thick.
Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 12:30 - Nov 19 with 1121 viewsskippyjack

Actually Parlay they're theories.. it isn't 100% factual... it's possibly very, very accurate.. but it isn't factual.. Fact.. you can ask them at Nasa.. they'll tell you.. so stop being a smartass.. and jump straight in.. it's like reading a newspaper and believing it as 100% fact..

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 12:33 - Nov 19 with 1116 viewsDafyddHuw

I hope so, there's very little down here.
Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 12:45 - Nov 19 with 1087 viewsParlay

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 12:30 - Nov 19 by skippyjack

Actually Parlay they're theories.. it isn't 100% factual... it's possibly very, very accurate.. but it isn't factual.. Fact.. you can ask them at Nasa.. they'll tell you.. so stop being a smartass.. and jump straight in.. it's like reading a newspaper and believing it as 100% fact..

Which bit isn't fact then pal? Id tread carefully not to jump in equally as misinformed and end up looking just as stupid, he has form for it - don't also become there for the taking.

FACTS - There ARE suns 100 million times more volumous than our sun - it is not a theory it is a fact, there ARE more stars than grains of sand is not a theory it is a fact and our sun IS able to hold 1.3 million earth's is also not theory but fact. I have also shown the maths.

Facts can always be disputed by pedanticism but not really worthy of debate or indeed the halt of debate along those lines. Its like saying there is more sea than land on the earth and someone saying "ahh but its just a theory nobody has actually measured" and thus wishing to stop the debate going any further because of that almost ridiculous view. Its purely being pedantic for pedantic's sake and indeed ironically is what one would call being a smart ass.

As for ME being a smart ass, thats an incredible accusation, i can only assume you have not read the read. it is telling someone straight who has joined the debate (not for the first time) who seems to hold no opinion other than wishing to disrupt a debate that he is in fact talking a load of tosh.

We are discussing the possibility of life outside our earth, i have made some simple FACTUAL points regarding the vastness of the cosmos, by all means if you don't agree then put down a counter that it is indeed a tiny place. Otherwise calling someone a smartass for giving someone a ticking off for being a plum isn't really forwarding the debate.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 12:56]

Forum celebrity

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 12:48 - Nov 19 with 1083 viewsParlay

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 12:19 - Nov 19 by WarwickHunt

Counter to what, you f*cking halfwit?

F*ck me, you're thick.

To the points I've made you plum, its not tricky.

You are very similar to Captain Sham, not as intelligent of course, but he felt awfully threatened by others that possess knowledge. You are showing all the hallmarks here once again. This thread was excellent, lots of theories, lots of facts and then you come along get all threatened and wish to derail it.

If you have anything to add then by all means do it, otherwise please leave your insecurities at the door theres a good lad.

Forum celebrity

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 12:57 - Nov 19 with 1066 viewsskippyjack

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 12:45 - Nov 19 by Parlay

Which bit isn't fact then pal? Id tread carefully not to jump in equally as misinformed and end up looking just as stupid, he has form for it - don't also become there for the taking.

FACTS - There ARE suns 100 million times more volumous than our sun - it is not a theory it is a fact, there ARE more stars than grains of sand is not a theory it is a fact and our sun IS able to hold 1.3 million earth's is also not theory but fact. I have also shown the maths.

Facts can always be disputed by pedanticism but not really worthy of debate or indeed the halt of debate along those lines. Its like saying there is more sea than land on the earth and someone saying "ahh but its just a theory nobody has actually measured" and thus wishing to stop the debate going any further because of that almost ridiculous view. Its purely being pedantic for pedantic's sake and indeed ironically is what one would call being a smart ass.

As for ME being a smart ass, thats an incredible accusation, i can only assume you have not read the read. it is telling someone straight who has joined the debate (not for the first time) who seems to hold no opinion other than wishing to disrupt a debate that he is in fact talking a load of tosh.

We are discussing the possibility of life outside our earth, i have made some simple FACTUAL points regarding the vastness of the cosmos, by all means if you don't agree then put down a counter that it is indeed a tiny place. Otherwise calling someone a smartass for giving someone a ticking off for being a plum isn't really forwarding the debate.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 12:56]

Again jumping in.. it's not 100% fact.. you're making yourself a 100% tool.. as I've said.. ASK SOMEBODY WHO WORKS/WORKED FOR NASA.. in bold.. can you understand this.. it's not 100% accurate.. it's probably 98.7% accurate through carefully judged.. 'fairly' accurate theories.. but it isn't 100% fact.. it's 'possibly' 100% accurate.. possibly.. we've never actually put 1.3 million earths in the sun have we?.. they've put together a 'theory' which they 'think' is fact.. give me a job ffs.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 12:58 - Nov 19 with 1062 viewsParlay

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 12:57 - Nov 19 by skippyjack

Again jumping in.. it's not 100% fact.. you're making yourself a 100% tool.. as I've said.. ASK SOMEBODY WHO WORKS/WORKED FOR NASA.. in bold.. can you understand this.. it's not 100% accurate.. it's probably 98.7% accurate through carefully judged.. 'fairly' accurate theories.. but it isn't 100% fact.. it's 'possibly' 100% accurate.. possibly.. we've never actually put 1.3 million earths in the sun have we?.. they've put together a 'theory' which they 'think' is fact.. give me a job ffs.

Now read this paragraph you just quoted VERY slowly as you have just summed it up perfectly:-

"Facts can always be disputed by pedanticism but not really worthy of debate or indeed the halt of debate along those lines. Its like saying there is more sea than visible land on the earth and someone saying "ahh but its just a theory nobody has actually measured" and thus wishing to stop the debate going any further because of that almost ridiculous view. Its purely being pedantic for pedantic's sake and indeed ironically is what one would call being a smart ass."

You are calling me a "smart ass" for furthering the debate by giving facts to show the vastness of space by stating the size of the sun and the earth and comparing their size in a format easy to understand with earths fitting in the sun..... and you are restoring to "ahhhh but we haven't actually done it have we". Do you see the irony there? Your counter is bringing nothing to this debate at all, be that for or against. Next you will be picking up on grammatical errors.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 13:07]

Forum celebrity

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:07 - Nov 19 with 1044 viewsWarwickHunt

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 12:48 - Nov 19 by Parlay

To the points I've made you plum, its not tricky.

You are very similar to Captain Sham, not as intelligent of course, but he felt awfully threatened by others that possess knowledge. You are showing all the hallmarks here once again. This thread was excellent, lots of theories, lots of facts and then you come along get all threatened and wish to derail it.

If you have anything to add then by all means do it, otherwise please leave your insecurities at the door theres a good lad.

Aw bless - you seem unable to distinguish between facts and your interpretation of what they may lead to in your somewhat fevered, schoolboy imagination.

You're a poster boy for "a little learning is a dangerous thing". Copying and pasting from Google isn't synonymous with possessing knowledge by the way...

Now f*ck off Einstein, I'm busy.
Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:12 - Nov 19 with 1038 viewsParlay

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:07 - Nov 19 by WarwickHunt

Aw bless - you seem unable to distinguish between facts and your interpretation of what they may lead to in your somewhat fevered, schoolboy imagination.

You're a poster boy for "a little learning is a dangerous thing". Copying and pasting from Google isn't synonymous with possessing knowledge by the way...

Now f*ck off Einstein, I'm busy.

Off you go again getting all threatened and uppity while producing a load of guff. Painful. But entertaining at the same time, its quite a quandary

So what you are saying of course, is indeed everyone is wrong, the sun is tiny and may not even exist, those stars in the sky are just glowing bugs and there is nothing bigger than that tiny sun we have. In fact everyone just made it up. Space is tiny and therefore there is nothing more to see. Right, cracking.

Copy and pasting came AFTER me teaching you young buck, after. I Thought you may feel less threatened if you had to bow to scholars and scientists instead of little old me - seems it just made you more angry.

Yes you certainly are busy, busy showing everyone the fragility of your own self worth. Just chill, if there are people cleverer than you or possess more knowledge then just let it be because i have some facts for you, theres millions of em.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 13:16]

Forum celebrity

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:21 - Nov 19 with 1009 viewsSenhin

Why do 99% of topics on hereabout anything remotely scientific result in people calling each other children and bickering because they have differing opinions?

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:24 - Nov 19 with 1004 viewsWarwickHunt

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:12 - Nov 19 by Parlay

Off you go again getting all threatened and uppity while producing a load of guff. Painful. But entertaining at the same time, its quite a quandary

So what you are saying of course, is indeed everyone is wrong, the sun is tiny and may not even exist, those stars in the sky are just glowing bugs and there is nothing bigger than that tiny sun we have. In fact everyone just made it up. Space is tiny and therefore there is nothing more to see. Right, cracking.

Copy and pasting came AFTER me teaching you young buck, after. I Thought you may feel less threatened if you had to bow to scholars and scientists instead of little old me - seems it just made you more angry.

Yes you certainly are busy, busy showing everyone the fragility of your own self worth. Just chill, if there are people cleverer than you or possess more knowledge then just let it be because i have some facts for you, theres millions of em.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 13:16]

The universe is indeed very, very, very big and very, very, very old. Gosh!

We all knew that but thanks for telling us lesser mortals who can only dream of typing in some search words into Google. You truly are a shining beacon of knowledge and intelligence.

Now please f*ck off and die, you tedious, self-righteous c*nt.
Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:27 - Nov 19 with 996 viewsLe_Swans

I think what Skippy is getting at is that there is a difference from a fact and a scientific fact, the latter is something that has been observed multiple times, peer reviewed and is thought to be true, however scientists would believe that truth is never final, so they will never call it a 100% fact.
Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:27 - Nov 19 with 996 viewsParlay

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:21 - Nov 19 by Senhin

Why do 99% of topics on hereabout anything remotely scientific result in people calling each other children and bickering because they have differing opinions?

Because we have people here who do not wish to put their opinion forward as they don't have the knowledge to possess one, instead they berate other people who are contributing to the thread be that reasoned opinion or cold hard fact. Its tantamount to someone driving a fiesta not being able to afford a Ferrari so scratching them with their key every time they see one.

All for debate for or against but there are posters here (and its the same ones every time) who go out of their way to troll threads and act the fool. Its clear these characters do not enter the thread for any other purpose. Thats why PC dimi is here, they don't get away with this bollocks on my watch. Trust me.

Forum celebrity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024