Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? 16:04 - Dec 5 with 1845 viewsmrrockin

Saw a lot of this towards the end of last season and many who questioned this were considered ignorant, lacking any respect, fishing for arguments or lacking loyalty.

The reality is guys Gary was never the right man for the job, he is a brilliant guy served his club with distinction and I'll be forever thankful to him. But he's not good enough to take us forward in the premier league.

I remember many suggesting he was better than Martinez or Rodgers. This was the classic short termist mentality, if you looked at the underlying football and change in direction (e.g. backroom appointments, signings) it was plain to see that we were going to come unstuck in time.

It's easy to knock the so called 'Swansea way' with cliches like 'Martinez invented passing' or whatever sarcastic nonsense but the reality is this was our niche it set us apart. We had a culture running through the club, we invested wisely in the future and we were able to grow year on year by maintaining an identity.

Many tribal types were happy to let this be sacrificed because of short term results which were good on paper. This club culture had been cultivated and had left its mark with us attaining success while not breaking the bank.

I hope we get the next appointment right and we revert back to our ideals. We can bounce back but we need to be bold and intelligent going forward or we're going to tumble. Our success was built on the long term and somewhere along the line we forgot that.
Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 16:21 - Dec 5 with 1823 viewsattila_the_hun

I never thought it was right giving the job to someone with no managerial experience when we are in the top flight, even if he was a legend for the club as a player

"I'm Free"

Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 16:25 - Dec 5 with 1803 viewsGh0st

Great post.
Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 16:47 - Dec 5 with 1766 viewsymaohyd

In theory it was a good decision to appoint GM. A man who knew the club inside out, had the opportunity to learn under some brilliant managers and therefore the opportunity to incorporate everything that he has learnt and evolve our styles of play. A decision I agreed with and was proved right last season.

Now though it is clear that a change is needed. I voted a fortnight back that sadly he should be sacked. The only logic in not sacking him then was the difficult run of games (certainly Liverpool away) would negate the positive impact that a new manager would bring.

Why it's gone wrong I really don't know, in hindsight the transfer activity in the summer was very poor. When Dyer went there seemed to be a lack of planning and direction. Dyer was replaced by a player whom we had earmarked for a season loan.

The statement this week by GM that no way would we go down was as stupid a remark that I have heard in a long time and sadly for me emphasised that he is indeed out of his depth.

The positive side to things is that we have a few games to halfway and 4 points from those games would give us a poor but fighting chance to avoid relegation 18 points.

Now though the board needs to be dynamic, personally I would go with Moyes even above Rodgers. A man of his experience would give us a brilliant chance of staying up. Now is not the time to go down the road of a left field signing.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 16:56 - Dec 5 with 1751 viewsmrrockin

Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 16:47 - Dec 5 by ymaohyd

In theory it was a good decision to appoint GM. A man who knew the club inside out, had the opportunity to learn under some brilliant managers and therefore the opportunity to incorporate everything that he has learnt and evolve our styles of play. A decision I agreed with and was proved right last season.

Now though it is clear that a change is needed. I voted a fortnight back that sadly he should be sacked. The only logic in not sacking him then was the difficult run of games (certainly Liverpool away) would negate the positive impact that a new manager would bring.

Why it's gone wrong I really don't know, in hindsight the transfer activity in the summer was very poor. When Dyer went there seemed to be a lack of planning and direction. Dyer was replaced by a player whom we had earmarked for a season loan.

The statement this week by GM that no way would we go down was as stupid a remark that I have heard in a long time and sadly for me emphasised that he is indeed out of his depth.

The positive side to things is that we have a few games to halfway and 4 points from those games would give us a poor but fighting chance to avoid relegation 18 points.

Now though the board needs to be dynamic, personally I would go with Moyes even above Rodgers. A man of his experience would give us a brilliant chance of staying up. Now is not the time to go down the road of a left field signing.

I disagree with Moyes, I wouldn't necessarily go for Rodgers but we need someone of that ilk.
Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 16:59 - Dec 5 with 1733 viewsWarwickHunt

Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 16:25 - Dec 5 by Gh0st

Great post.

dailew downarrowed it.

Still clinging to the wreckage...
Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 17:01 - Dec 5 with 1718 viewsmorningstar

Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 16:56 - Dec 5 by mrrockin

I disagree with Moyes, I wouldn't necessarily go for Rodgers but we need someone of that ilk.

If you knew who we were sniffing out rockin you'd beg Huw too keep Monk!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 17:04 - Dec 5 with 1696 viewsperchrockjack

My opinion.
Laudrup justifiably sacked.

Monk started well.

Something has gone wrong and may have been found out.

Old scores on Internet mean nowt, as to the posters who make ascetic comments.

It's where we go from here that counts.

Personally , if moyes were to come in, I'd be relieved .

Its also clear all the coaching staff should go

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 17:08 - Dec 5 with 1668 viewsmrrockin

Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 17:04 - Dec 5 by perchrockjack

My opinion.
Laudrup justifiably sacked.

Monk started well.

Something has gone wrong and may have been found out.

Old scores on Internet mean nowt, as to the posters who make ascetic comments.

It's where we go from here that counts.

Personally , if moyes were to come in, I'd be relieved .

Its also clear all the coaching staff should go

It's not about old scores, it's more about respecting different opinions. I left this site because I was getting slated for that I didn't think Monk was the right man when things were going relatively well. I just couldn't be arsed with it.

I think there was a culture around that time which was bullying towards those who sadly have been proved correct. I don't want to go down that road anyway, reality is we need to look forward and I hope we get the next one right.
Login to get fewer ads

Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 17:12 - Dec 5 with 1636 viewsperchrockjack

I agree but it clearly is for some

It's a sideshow from the debacle

Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 17:13 - Dec 5 with 1633 viewsDr_Winston

Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 16:21 - Dec 5 by attila_the_hun

I never thought it was right giving the job to someone with no managerial experience when we are in the top flight, even if he was a legend for the club as a player

This.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 17:15 - Dec 5 with 1624 viewsmrrockin

Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 17:12 - Dec 5 by perchrockjack

I agree but it clearly is for some

It's a sideshow from the debacle

No doubt it is, but yes complete sideshow.

We need clear heads now, I hope we don't jump into a poor appointment. It's imperative we make wholesale changes in the backroom staff etc and the focus should be long-term growth so someone who is good at bringing through youth for instance.
Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 17:17 - Dec 5 with 1612 viewsperchrockjack

Fair, rockin, fair.

I genuinely pray we get this right but whatever else he gotta go

Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 17:20 - Dec 5 with 1595 viewsmrrockin

Gary Monk best swans manager of last 30 years? on 17:17 - Dec 5 by perchrockjack

Fair, rockin, fair.

I genuinely pray we get this right but whatever else he gotta go

It's a shame because my ideal from the beginning would have been like the old boot room days at Anfield where we got someone in with experience and then maybe in time Monk could have taken over the reigns or just build a pipeline of coaches e.g. maybe Ash/Leon etc in time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024