Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Joey Ramone 09:16 - Apr 15 with 3391 viewsPolskijack

15 years today. Thanks to you and "da brudders Ramone" for the music and many fantastic nights in the pit.

RIP Joey Ramone on 10:29 - Apr 15 with 3369 viewsDarran

By strange coincidence I pulled out his posthumous solo album yesterday and had a play after reading an interview with Bun E. Carlos.
Cracking album it is too and that track Party Line is awesome it's like punk meets The Ronettes.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

RIP Joey Ramone on 11:03 - Apr 15 with 3357 viewsPolskijack

Joey was a big fan of Phil Spector and managed to persuade the other Ramones that it would be a good idea for Spector to produce their album that became "End of the century". There are some good songs on this but its far to poppy and despite Spector's reputation, the production isn't great. Also a cringe worthy version of "baby I love you". If you get a chance watch the dvd also called "End of the Century" where the band recall working with Spector. Johnny in particular was not at all happy!
RIP Joey Ramone on 11:03 - Apr 15 with 3357 viewsLoyal

Was at the 1986 ten years show at Hammersmith and Bristol.

14 years of age, life changer.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

RIP Joey Ramone on 11:11 - Apr 15 with 3352 viewsPolskijack

My first was on the 77/78 tours also in Bristol. Was also at the 86 gig you went to and many others. Agree with the life changing comment. The energy was amazing.
RIP Joey Ramone on 18:38 - Apr 15 with 3312 viewsVinnie

For me the single most influential American band of the last forty years and the one,above all others,that I didn't get to see and really wish I had.Thanks Joey,Johnny,Dee Dee,Tommy and Marky.
RIP Joey Ramone on 19:22 - Apr 15 with 3298 viewsWingstandwood

RIP Joey Ramone on 11:03 - Apr 15 by Polskijack

Joey was a big fan of Phil Spector and managed to persuade the other Ramones that it would be a good idea for Spector to produce their album that became "End of the century". There are some good songs on this but its far to poppy and despite Spector's reputation, the production isn't great. Also a cringe worthy version of "baby I love you". If you get a chance watch the dvd also called "End of the Century" where the band recall working with Spector. Johnny in particular was not at all happy!

It's all about opinions? I absolutely loved the more slicker n' polished produced/sounding Ramones LP's aimed at a more commercial/consumer friendly mass market i.e. End Of The Century, Too Tough To Die and Animal Boy, I bought them all in the 1980's. They played a lot slower for many of their songs also.

They sort of went in a different musical direction changing their sound/production values like The Stranglers did when they released The Raven LP (and other releases!) that had a less than 'traditional/familiar' Stranglers sound. Ramones will be missed by all fans!

A bit off subject maybe? I knew Johnny Rotten wanted to be more 'experimental' and if The Pistols had stayed together with Rotten and Matlock still in the band? What would they albums have sounded like after Never Mind The Bollocks? I often wonder?

Argus!

RIP Joey Ramone on 09:05 - Apr 16 with 3249 viewsPolskijack

RIP Joey Ramone on 19:22 - Apr 15 by Wingstandwood

It's all about opinions? I absolutely loved the more slicker n' polished produced/sounding Ramones LP's aimed at a more commercial/consumer friendly mass market i.e. End Of The Century, Too Tough To Die and Animal Boy, I bought them all in the 1980's. They played a lot slower for many of their songs also.

They sort of went in a different musical direction changing their sound/production values like The Stranglers did when they released The Raven LP (and other releases!) that had a less than 'traditional/familiar' Stranglers sound. Ramones will be missed by all fans!

A bit off subject maybe? I knew Johnny Rotten wanted to be more 'experimental' and if The Pistols had stayed together with Rotten and Matlock still in the band? What would they albums have sounded like after Never Mind The Bollocks? I often wonder?

I agree, each to his own opinion. It would be a sad world if this wasn't the case. The LP's you mention were aimed more at the poppier rock sound of the 80's but still had some great punk, even hardcore sounding songs (warthog and animal boy). To be honest, I tend to listen to the live albums where even the more commercial songs sound great.

Not sure about them slowing down. This certainly wasn't the case live. Having seen them on many many occasions they just got faster and faster and for some songs, too fast for me. An example is the version of Blitzkrieg Bop posted above and this one from their last concert.

With regard to the Pistols, in my opinion if they had stayed together they would have gone one of two ways depending on who had the most influence, Rotten or Mclaren. If Rotten they would probably have done music like PIL but a bit harder. If Mclaren held sway, it would have been similar to the stuff that Jones and Cook did like Silly Thing, No one is innocent and the stuff they did in the "Professionals" (check them out if you haven't heard them, trademark Jones guitar all over it)

I saw the Pistols the first time around and when they got back together and still think Never Mind is one of the greatest rock albums of all time.
RIP Joey Ramone on 10:02 - Apr 16 with 3232 viewsDarran

This is a lovely photo of two close friends. ❤️

Login to get fewer ads

RIP Joey Ramone on 10:16 - Apr 16 with 3226 viewsDarran

This is another photo of two close friends. ❤️

RIP Joey Ramone on 11:02 - Apr 16 with 3207 viewsLoyal

RIP Joey Ramone on 18:38 - Apr 15 by Vinnie

For me the single most influential American band of the last forty years and the one,above all others,that I didn't get to see and really wish I had.Thanks Joey,Johnny,Dee Dee,Tommy and Marky.

Mind you there is a saying never meet your 'heroes' Marky fits that concept. What a twunt !

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

RIP Joey Ramone on 11:30 - Apr 16 with 3200 viewsLohengrin

RIP Joey Ramone on 10:16 - Apr 16 by Darran

The emaciated thing on the right looks like it soiled itself.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2016 11:30]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

RIP Joey Ramone on 18:11 - Apr 16 with 3151 viewsWingstandwood

RIP Joey Ramone on 10:16 - Apr 16 by Darran

Is that you on the left, if so when was it taken?

Argus!

RIP Joey Ramone on 18:21 - Apr 16 with 3143 viewsWingstandwood

RIP Joey Ramone on 09:05 - Apr 16 by Polskijack

I agree, each to his own opinion. It would be a sad world if this wasn't the case. The LP's you mention were aimed more at the poppier rock sound of the 80's but still had some great punk, even hardcore sounding songs (warthog and animal boy). To be honest, I tend to listen to the live albums where even the more commercial songs sound great.

Not sure about them slowing down. This certainly wasn't the case live. Having seen them on many many occasions they just got faster and faster and for some songs, too fast for me. An example is the version of Blitzkrieg Bop posted above and this one from their last concert.

With regard to the Pistols, in my opinion if they had stayed together they would have gone one of two ways depending on who had the most influence, Rotten or Mclaren. If Rotten they would probably have done music like PIL but a bit harder. If Mclaren held sway, it would have been similar to the stuff that Jones and Cook did like Silly Thing, No one is innocent and the stuff they did in the "Professionals" (check them out if you haven't heard them, trademark Jones guitar all over it)

I saw the Pistols the first time around and when they got back together and still think Never Mind is one of the greatest rock albums of all time.

The Ramones definitely didn't slow down when they played live I'd agree with you there. But their 80's LP recordings did seem to be mostly played at a more slower pace than live. Their 1970's recordings sounded much like what they would sound live both in terms of speed and sound i.e. no flash guitar overdubs, no multi layered guitar sound, use of instruments other than guitar and polished production techniques.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2016 18:21]

Argus!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024