Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote 16:59 - Jun 3 with 7616 viewsdonkeylabour

I'm bored senseless of hearing this mentioned, as usual completely by accident of course a 17 yr old lad on QT was moaning he couldn't have a say.

Diddums, if 16 yr olds can vote surely we should lower the age of alcohol for instance to 16 why is that 18?

I don't know about you guys but politics was hardly at the front of my mind at 16 and I'm sure that speaks for most people - I would argue 21 would be more appropriate to vote if anything.

Because you have a few shouty geeks doesn't mean it should be lowered. What happens if the general election falls when they're 15 and they have a right to vote at 16? Is that outrageous to, they may not vote in a general election till they're 20 in this scenario.

It's an inevitable thing now and I just ask, why? Beyond narrow party advantage.

My father voted labour and his father voted labour and his father voted labour so I vote labour

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 17:06 - Jun 3 with 5076 viewsblueytheblue

Labour in particular want 16 yr olds to have the vote because they would be more likely to vote Labour. It's only as they get older they see through the dogma and rhetoric...

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 17:09 - Jun 3 with 5068 viewsdonkeylabour

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 17:06 - Jun 3 by blueytheblue

Labour in particular want 16 yr olds to have the vote because they would be more likely to vote Labour. It's only as they get older they see through the dogma and rhetoric...

But that's my point, narrow party advantage.

Of course they will overwhelmingly vote labour, most of us were idealistic in those days.

You know soak the rich (no idea on economics of this), bring over more immigrants, free this free that.

It's all so easy as you say when you get older, read a bit, pay taxes you start to change well most do anyway...

It's a pretty awful bit of politics then to try to game the system like this.

My father voted labour and his father voted labour and his father voted labour so I vote labour

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 17:39 - Jun 3 with 5040 viewsWingstandwood

This is a very intriguing subject! Call me 'cynical' but I do rather get the vibe that the party that is most desperate for the lowering to 16 yrs of age is?...........LABOUR.

So I am guessing Labour thinks it has the most to gain from this and I have no doubt if they were in power they would have introduced it by now.

http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2010-12/2048

Argus!

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:04 - Jun 3 with 4984 viewsLoyal

The only thing 16 year olds should do is as they are told.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:09 - Jun 3 with 4970 viewsJackfath

I'd be all for 16 year olds to vote. I'd also be all for them to be educated on the history of polictics as a matter of principle.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:10 - Jun 3 with 4968 viewsdonkeylabour

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:09 - Jun 3 by Jackfath

I'd be all for 16 year olds to vote. I'd also be all for them to be educated on the history of polictics as a matter of principle.

You have a lovely smile

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:11 - Jun 3 with 4966 viewsexiledclaseboy

So the moral of this thread is that we shouldn't extend the franchise to 16 year olds because they may have the audacity to vote for a party we don't think they should vote for.

Nicely continuing the theme that devolution is bad because Wales continually refuses to vote in the way some think it should.

Conservatives are so, well, conservative.

Poll: Tory leader

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:11 - Jun 3 with 4965 viewsJackfath

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:10 - Jun 3 by donkeylabour

You have a lovely smile

You're not the first person to say that.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Login to get fewer ads

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:12 - Jun 3 with 4964 viewsexiledclaseboy

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:09 - Jun 3 by Jackfath

Sense. I've got a 17 year old nephew who's infinitely more politically aware than many contributors to this site.

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:14 - Jun 3 with 4958 viewsdonkeylabour

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:11 - Jun 3 by exiledclaseboy

So the moral of this thread is that we shouldn't extend the franchise to 16 year olds because they may have the audacity to vote for a party we don't think they should vote for.

Nicely continuing the theme that devolution is bad because Wales continually refuses to vote in the way some think it should.

Conservatives are so, well, conservative.

No as usual great spin.

16 yr olds shouldn't vote imo because they're not mature enough overall.

I'm criticising the fact that the agenda to get them to vote is electoral benefits and not about a genuine belief in their right to vote. No one has given a coherent argument and you have now proven in your predictable sanctimonious response.

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:14 - Jun 3 with 4956 viewsJackfath

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:12 - Jun 3 by exiledclaseboy

Sense. I've got a 17 year old nephew who's infinitely more politically aware than many contributors to this site.

Indeed. As usual you're correct.

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:15 - Jun 3 with 4955 viewsdonkeylabour

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:12 - Jun 3 by exiledclaseboy

Oh that old chestnut.

I'm sure there's some 10 yr olds who could debate Marx with you as well

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:17 - Jun 3 with 4952 viewsdonkeylabour

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:14 - Jun 3 by Jackfath

Indeed. As usual you're correct.

You have a lovely smile, don't ruin it with a brown nose

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:19 - Jun 3 with 4946 viewsJackfath

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:17 - Jun 3 by donkeylabour

You have a lovely smile, don't ruin it with a brown nose

It's rather purple currently as I've burnt it in the sun.

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:22 - Jun 3 with 4941 viewsexiledclaseboy

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:14 - Jun 3 by donkeylabour

No as usual great spin.

16 yr olds shouldn't vote imo because they're not mature enough overall.

I'm criticising the fact that the agenda to get them to vote is electoral benefits and not about a genuine belief in their right to vote. No one has given a coherent argument and you have now proven in your predictable sanctimonious response.

Bitch. Only because you know I'm right. If 16 year olds were likely to vote Tory en masse you'd be all for it. If Wales voted Tory en masse you'd be all for that too. Simple fact.

We allow 16 year olds to marry, have sex, leave education and enter the world of work, be detained for crimes, consent to their own medical treatment, ride a motorcycle (and a car in certain circumstances), gamble, join the army. All decisions with far more potentially damaging consequences than voting. Yet you don't want them to have the right to put a cross in a box on the basis that they aren't "mature" enough. And you call me sanctimonious...

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:23 - Jun 3 with 4932 viewsdonkeylabour

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:22 - Jun 3 by exiledclaseboy

Bitch. Only because you know I'm right. If 16 year olds were likely to vote Tory en masse you'd be all for it. If Wales voted Tory en masse you'd be all for that too. Simple fact.

We allow 16 year olds to marry, have sex, leave education and enter the world of work, be detained for crimes, consent to their own medical treatment, ride a motorcycle (and a car in certain circumstances), gamble, join the army. All decisions with far more potentially damaging consequences than voting. Yet you don't want them to have the right to put a cross in a box on the basis that they aren't "mature" enough. And you call me sanctimonious...

Why not 15 yr olds?

Answer my question about alcohol and in relation to marriage that is with parental consent.

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:24 - Jun 3 with 4931 viewsexiledclaseboy

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:15 - Jun 3 by donkeylabour

Oh that old chestnut.

I'm sure there's some 10 yr olds who could debate Marx with you as well

No doubt they'd make more sense than you do in this latest Jeremy Clarkson-esque persona you've created for yourself thus time.

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:26 - Jun 3 with 4927 viewsdonkeylabour

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:24 - Jun 3 by exiledclaseboy

No doubt they'd make more sense than you do in this latest Jeremy Clarkson-esque persona you've created for yourself thus time.

Maybe you're right, should they therefore have the right to vote and if not why?

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:27 - Jun 3 with 4925 viewsexiledclaseboy

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:23 - Jun 3 by donkeylabour

Why not 15 yr olds?

Answer my question about alcohol and in relation to marriage that is with parental consent.

Because there will always have to be a cut off. Given what 16 year olds are legally allowed to do already I don't see giving them the franchise as any kind of major leap. There's very little difference in "maturity" between 16 and 18 year olds in my experience.

Yes a couple of the things I listed need parental consent. How about we extend the franchise but only if the parents sign a form confirming they're content for their son or daughter to vote at the age of 16 or 17?
[Post edited 3 Jun 2016 19:30]

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:30 - Jun 3 with 4919 viewsJackfath

Excuse my obvious ignorance but this new "donkey labour" is who previously?

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:31 - Jun 3 with 4918 viewsexiledclaseboy

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:30 - Jun 3 by Jackfath

Excuse my obvious ignorance but this new "donkey labour" is who previously?

Rockin. Genuine site legend.

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:34 - Jun 3 with 4905 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Nothing wrong with 16 year olds having the vote.

Provided they're male and landowners.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:34 - Jun 3 with 4904 viewsJackfath

Ah.

I was hoping it was Belfast, Loyal etc etc

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:37 - Jun 3 with 4901 viewsdonkeylabour

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:27 - Jun 3 by exiledclaseboy

Because there will always have to be a cut off. Given what 16 year olds are legally allowed to do already I don't see giving them the franchise as any kind of major leap. There's very little difference in "maturity" between 16 and 18 year olds in my experience.

Yes a couple of the things I listed need parental consent. How about we extend the franchise but only if the parents sign a form confirming they're content for their son or daughter to vote at the age of 16 or 17?
[Post edited 3 Jun 2016 19:30]

That would make more sense to me and is worth debate.

You've even said yourself there has to be a cut off.

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:37 - Jun 3 with 4900 viewsdonkeylabour

Obsession with 16 year olds having the vote on 19:31 - Jun 3 by exiledclaseboy

Rockin. Genuine site legend.

who

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024