Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BREXIT - the Immigration question 17:29 - Nov 3 with 2243 viewsjohnlangy

People voted to leave the EU in the referendum for a variety of reasons but the most contentious was the issue of immigration.

When the subject was talked about during the campaign various brexiteers put the issue in the context of the population of a city the size of Cardiff coming to the UK every year. The actual figure from memory was 330,000.

A lot of MP's are arguing at the moment that they should be involved/consulted/informed about the governments negotiations so they can have an input. This would mean them having an opinion on what the immigration numbers should be.

So my question to anyone who voted leave, or anyone else with an opinion for that matter, is what do you think the level should be in numbers ?

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 17:40 - Nov 4 with 446 viewstrampie

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 13:45 - Nov 4 by westside

We'll be screwed by big corporations and foreign governments now.

Big corporations like Nissan can tell the government what they want and the Chinese government can do the same to build hinkley point.

Brexit will mean less control and less influence with the big corporations and foreign governments having us over a barrel.

We'll just become more isolated and a country run for big business, foreign power and the wealthy elite while everyone else will become worst off with less opportunities.

Yip

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 10:17 - Nov 6 with 391 viewsjohnlangy

There were various things the brexiteers claimed in the runup to the referendum which were clearly untrue but which, i'm sure, many people took as fact and voted leave accordingly. £350 million a week to the NHS for example on the side of that red bus.

The immigration figure of 330,000 was used in the same way. When they said the number of immigrants into the UK each year was equal to the population of Cardiff many, many people said we can't sustain that level of immigration and voted leave accordingly.

Would those people have voted leave if David Cameron had hit his target of tens of thousands ? Would they have considered that level acceptable ?

Other posters have mentioned students. Half of the 330.000 last year were students. The vast majority of them are sponsored by their governments to study in the UK. They pay fees between 2 and 3 times what the average UK student pays so they subsidise the cost of UK students education to a huge degree. While they're here they spend a fortune in the British economy while taking out no benefits and then, when they've qualified, they go back home because that would be the agreement when their governments sponsored them in the first place. This applies to the vast majority.

As far as I understand it, when eastern europeans come over to do seasonal work in British farms they also are classed as immigrants (can someone else confirm there's no visa type system in place instead of them being classed as immigrants ?). They work the season and then go home (again the vast majority). The vast majority work legally and pay income tax. I haven't got figures for this group but there are probably 30/40/50,000. Just a guess on my part but a huge number whatever the actual figure.

Just with those two groups we're already approaching the 'tens of thousands' figure as being immigrants who stay. How many who work in the hotel and catering industries are also here for seasonal work ? That figure must be 30/40/50,000 again. Would those industries survive without them ? The answer's no. We need them just as we need thousands of doctors and nurses because the government cut funding to train our own.

So, the basic point behind the OP was that the 330,000 figure was used to mislead voters in the same way as the £350 million a week message was and my question was, what figure would a leave due to immigration voter consider an acceptable figure ?
BREXIT - the Immigration question on 10:29 - Nov 6 with 384 viewsBrynmill_Jack

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 16:57 - Nov 4 by Jack_Meoff

We already are those things, and have been for decades since Neoliberalism became the dominant ideology. Think Whitehall serves the best interests of the populace?

He's been asleep since 1979

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 10:39 - Nov 6 with 378 viewsBrynmill_Jack

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 17:55 - Nov 3 by yescomeon

I guess it's because they won't.

I suppose another way of looking at it is could a young family afford to pay rent or a mortgage, council tax, heat, light, water etc etc and still have enough money to eat through a fruit picker's salary? Even if both parents were employed full time?

I suspect not . I heard that some of these massive fruit farms have temporary accommodation blocks in which to house their workers.

But surely, won't that just be seasonal work? I suppose even if locals could survive working there in the picking season they may have to go on benefits if they are unable to find work for the winter and spring. Same goes for immigrant workers I would imagine.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 12:19 - Nov 6 with 358 viewsHighjack

BREXIT - the Immigration question on 10:39 - Nov 6 by Brynmill_Jack

I suppose another way of looking at it is could a young family afford to pay rent or a mortgage, council tax, heat, light, water etc etc and still have enough money to eat through a fruit picker's salary? Even if both parents were employed full time?

I suspect not . I heard that some of these massive fruit farms have temporary accommodation blocks in which to house their workers.

But surely, won't that just be seasonal work? I suppose even if locals could survive working there in the picking season they may have to go on benefits if they are unable to find work for the winter and spring. Same goes for immigrant workers I would imagine.

In other words, immigrant labour is being exploited. I wonder if they are paid anywhere near minimum wage?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024