Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 10:02 - Mar 12 with 1526 viewsjohnlangy

Another example of Plaid trying to work for the whole of Wales, not just Cardiff

Plaid AMs votes against supplement to Labour/Lib Dem 2016 Budget

Plaid Cymru Assembly Members have voted against the Welsh Government's supplementary budget today, calling on Labour Ministers to bring forward a budget that demonstrates it is committed to investing in the whole of Wales.

Plaid Cymru's Shadow Economy Secretary, Adam Price told AMs that a staggering 95% of the identifiable projects in the Supplementary Budget were based in Cardiff or the South-East.

"There may well be projects for North Wales and Mid and West Wales, but we simply don't know due to the lack of information and lack of transparency in this budget", Adam Price said.

He added that Plaid Cymru "welcomes increased investment for the south-east. We need our capital region to thrive alongside an equitable distribution of investment for every region."

The Supplementary Budget adjusts the current 2016/17 Labour-Lib Dem budget which was passed by the last Assembly in March 2016. Plaid Cymru Assembly Members opposed the budget at the time.

The Assembly's Cross-Party Finance Committee today also expressed disappointment by the lack of transparency in the government's budget documentation.

Speaking ahead of the vote, Plaid Cymru's Adam Price said:

"Once again this Labour Government has arrogantly come to the Assembly Chamber believing it can railroad through millions of pounds of public spending changes without giving Assembly Members or indeed members of the public sufficient information.

"Labour should learn by now that Plaid Cymru AMs have the audacity to scrutinise, and the willingness to oppose if they do not meet the standards that taxpayers deserve when their money is spent. Our votes should never be taken for granted.

"Plaid Cymru will do what is can to ensure the nation has an all-Wales Government which delivers a Wales-wide budget."

Yet another example of a government that seems to believe that they can simply do what they want, a government that just doesn't care.
Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 13:22 - Mar 12 with 1497 viewsPrivate_Partz

95% of the projects in the Supplementary Budget are based in Cardiff and the SE!!
Plaid really want to highlight this and the total lack of transparency in the press. If our 'National' media don't want to touch it then they should use the English press plus local media in Wales and also claim how biased the Cardiff media is. BBC Wales would go into meltdown.
The per capita spend comparison across Wales must be truly shocking.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2017 13:26]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 14:07 - Mar 12 with 1484 viewsjohnlangy

Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 13:22 - Mar 12 by Private_Partz

95% of the projects in the Supplementary Budget are based in Cardiff and the SE!!
Plaid really want to highlight this and the total lack of transparency in the press. If our 'National' media don't want to touch it then they should use the English press plus local media in Wales and also claim how biased the Cardiff media is. BBC Wales would go into meltdown.
The per capita spend comparison across Wales must be truly shocking.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2017 13:26]

This is an email I sent to Dai Lloyd this morning which refers to the subject of using the media.

Dai,

I’ve read a fair bit about the Neil McEvoy situation and, without jumping to conclusions, am currently of the opinion that this is down to the Labour Party being concerned that someone is taking votes away from them in one of their heartlands and looking to knock that person down before he can do them more damage.

As a rule i’m finding Plaid to be too incredibly ‘careful’ in what they say and how they say it. Along comes NM who doesn’t do that. He says it like it is (or how he sees it) and they don’t like it.

Is Plaid, for example, looking to the Evening Post to headline the latest Labour Supplementary Budget proposals where Adam Price says that ‘95% of the identifiable projects in the budget were based in Cardiff and the South East’. This is exactly the sort of thing that SHOULD be headlined for Labour voters to be made aware of. It’s a National disgrace and Plaid should be shouting as loudly as possible to get these sorts of things heard. Swansea Labour Council won’t do it. They’re too busy looking after their party rather than the people who voted them in. If it was seen, via the post for example, that Plaid are the party looking out for Swansea rather than the Labour council it may finally persuade perennial Labour voters to turn another way.

Even though he’s a Cardiff based politician I imagine it’s the sort of thing that NM would say in a very direct, uncompromising way which is exactly what should be done.
Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 15:03 - Mar 12 with 1468 viewsrock1n

95% - please tell me that's a joke

Absolutely disgusting

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 15:38 - Mar 12 with 1453 viewstrampie

Very controversial johnlangy, not sure the Doc will comment on McEvoy.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 17:02 - Mar 12 with 1427 viewsPrivate_Partz

Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 15:38 - Mar 12 by trampie

Very controversial johnlangy, not sure the Doc will comment on McEvoy.

I must say they seemed very keen to join Labour in the condemnation of NM despite the obvious support he receives from many members in his Party.
Jac o the North suggests this is because Plaid don't want to rock the Welsh Labour boat too much in the hope of cosying up in a future coalition.
It could explain why Plaid have not gone on this 'All Wales' tack with any great gusto in the past.
I have an open mind on this. What do you think?
Btw great work as usual JL. Let us know what reply you get :-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 19:20 - Mar 12 with 1397 viewsKilkennyjack

Carwyn out !

Beware of the Risen People

Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 09:52 - Mar 13 with 1349 viewsPrivate_Partz

Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 19:20 - Mar 12 by Kilkennyjack

Carwyn out !

This complacent lazy politician needs to be replaced. He just carried on with the Cardiff Centric baton passed to him by Rodri Morgan.
A party leader that gives a toss about the rest of Wales would be a very good start.

Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 22:24 - Mar 13 with 1324 viewstrampie

Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 17:02 - Mar 12 by Private_Partz

I must say they seemed very keen to join Labour in the condemnation of NM despite the obvious support he receives from many members in his Party.
Jac o the North suggests this is because Plaid don't want to rock the Welsh Labour boat too much in the hope of cosying up in a future coalition.
It could explain why Plaid have not gone on this 'All Wales' tack with any great gusto in the past.
I have an open mind on this. What do you think?
Btw great work as usual JL. Let us know what reply you get :-)

The jury is still out as regards NM, I would not know how much support he has within the party.
Plaid have always been pro all of Wales, their mp's are elected far away from Cardiff.
It is a big step for any party to suggest that one area is getting more than its fair share than other areas as that might alienate the people in that area and they may not vote for a party that suggests they already have more than their fair share.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Login to get fewer ads

Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 09:18 - Mar 14 with 1291 viewsjohnlangy

Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 22:24 - Mar 13 by trampie

The jury is still out as regards NM, I would not know how much support he has within the party.
Plaid have always been pro all of Wales, their mp's are elected far away from Cardiff.
It is a big step for any party to suggest that one area is getting more than its fair share than other areas as that might alienate the people in that area and they may not vote for a party that suggests they already have more than their fair share.

Well, Plaid say it, as you point out and Neil McEvoy came close to beating Labour in Cardiff at the last election so Plaid's comments didn't affect the vote there.

Given that we're all (us posters on this site) saying that Cardiff gets more than it's fair share of everything you'd imagine they'd be voting the other way, possibly in their own interests. but obviously not in this case. Maybe that's down to the fact that they believe NM is someone worth voting for.
Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 15:44 - Mar 14 with 1262 viewsPrivate_Partz

Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 22:24 - Mar 13 by trampie

There is a danger of alienation of the a large section of the Welsh population. Namely the SE and Cardiff in particular.
It has to be handled carefully. Lots of poverty in the Cardiff Valleys so they should be included in any new investment projects.
Cardiff central or the Cardiff bubble mist be handled differently. Highlight the over heating, the building on brown and green sites, the traffic congestion in area that is already catered for extremely well in relation to jobs (both Private and Public Sector), infrastructure, culture, tourism etc etc. I have heard this argument starting to come from the people of Cardiff that it is getting too bloody crowded.
I wonder what our very own Cardiff residents think. Namely Lord Bony and Bluey. Do they really want more investment in the area they live in with all the associated problems or do they they think it has got to a level where no more is needed?
[Post edited 14 Mar 2017 15:47]

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:41 - Mar 14 with 1238 viewscymrojack

[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 11:26]

Gwynedd & Swansea - Veteran of Morriston Boys Club

Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 16:53 - Mar 14 with 1228 viewsPrivate_Partz

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:41 - Mar 14 by cymrojack

I believe a strengthening Cardiff is killing Swansea.

Swansea is not doing well. It is deteriorating. Artist impressions are not enough. Take the Swans and the University out if the equation and we are Donald Ducked.

It's not a Cardiff v Swansea comparison. It is Cardiff v The Rest of Wales.

Swansea is sexy. They can't take away our beaches, coastline etc. But it is not getting better. Fewer and fewer well paid jobs both Public and Private Sector going to Cardiff is killing us and other parts of Wales.

Why would anyone want to create a false impression for no reason?? The answer is it is not a false impression. Have you been in the City Centre lately?
Probably not. You are from Cardiff and I claim my 5 quid.

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:07 - Mar 14 with 1218 viewscymrojack

Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 16:53 - Mar 14 by Private_Partz

I believe a strengthening Cardiff is killing Swansea.

Swansea is not doing well. It is deteriorating. Artist impressions are not enough. Take the Swans and the University out if the equation and we are Donald Ducked.

It's not a Cardiff v Swansea comparison. It is Cardiff v The Rest of Wales.

Swansea is sexy. They can't take away our beaches, coastline etc. But it is not getting better. Fewer and fewer well paid jobs both Public and Private Sector going to Cardiff is killing us and other parts of Wales.

Why would anyone want to create a false impression for no reason?? The answer is it is not a false impression. Have you been in the City Centre lately?
Probably not. You are from Cardiff and I claim my 5 quid.

Gwynedd & Swansea - Veteran of Morriston Boys Club

Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 17:35 - Mar 14 with 1205 viewsPrivate_Partz

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:07 - Mar 14 by cymrojack

The city centre is declining. I am there all the time and can remember it pre WAG days. It needs investment, it needs jobs and it needs transport infrastructure.
Above all it needs the will and the financial backing from both WAG and the LA but unfortunately the former is Cardiff centric and the latter will not rock the political boat and is therefore prepared to live off scraps. In short Welsh Labour is not delivering the goods outside of the Cardiff bubble. The depressing thing for me is I struggle to find a political alternative in Wales
How do you suggest we work with 'Cardiff' to improve our lot when 95% of the Supplementary Budget is centred on the SE of Wales? When in England it is recognised that an overheating London is to the detriment of other parts of that Country. In Wales we carry on regardless investing and centralising virtually everything in our Capital.
Against this background, how do you suggest we move forward?
[Post edited 14 Mar 2017 17:39]

Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 21:29 - Mar 14 with 1171 viewstrampie

Labour/Lib Dem supplementary budget for 2016/17 on 09:18 - Mar 14 by johnlangy

Well, Plaid say it, as you point out and Neil McEvoy came close to beating Labour in Cardiff at the last election so Plaid's comments didn't affect the vote there.

Given that we're all (us posters on this site) saying that Cardiff gets more than it's fair share of everything you'd imagine they'd be voting the other way, possibly in their own interests. but obviously not in this case. Maybe that's down to the fact that they believe NM is someone worth voting for.

Neil McEvoy seems to appeal to the working class [like Ms Wood], most Plaid politicians seem to appeal to the middle classes and the crachach, NM seems to be like marmite but on the whole he seems to attract more voters than not.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024