Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sky to show midweek championship games 12:42 - Sep 12 with 1567 viewsjack2jack

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41239042
Sky to show midweek championship games on 13:04 - Sep 12 with 1534 viewsEilian

It's the way it's going. Just an experiment to test if it will work in the premier league.

If it makes them more money then expect it across all leagues by next season.

If Accrington Stanley were able to stream the game from their own website and was able to get 1,000 subscribers at £10 each then that's £30,000 they would never have made before and is a lot of money each week in the coffers of a lower league club.

Now think what sort of money the swans could make from such a deal? Then think what sort of money Man U would make.

Its allowing people to watch games they would never get to watch and allowing clubs to make money they would never have been able to make.
Sky to show midweek championship games on 13:17 - Sep 12 with 1513 viewsAguycalledJack

Sky to show midweek championship games on 13:04 - Sep 12 by Eilian

It's the way it's going. Just an experiment to test if it will work in the premier league.

If it makes them more money then expect it across all leagues by next season.

If Accrington Stanley were able to stream the game from their own website and was able to get 1,000 subscribers at £10 each then that's £30,000 they would never have made before and is a lot of money each week in the coffers of a lower league club.

Now think what sort of money the swans could make from such a deal? Then think what sort of money Man U would make.

Its allowing people to watch games they would never get to watch and allowing clubs to make money they would never have been able to make.

I can see where you are coming from.

But wouldn't Accrington be better off having the 1,000 going through the gate to watch the game in person?
Sky to show midweek championship games on 13:37 - Sep 12 with 1464 viewsEilian

Sky to show midweek championship games on 13:17 - Sep 12 by AguycalledJack

I can see where you are coming from.

But wouldn't Accrington be better off having the 1,000 going through the gate to watch the game in person?

100% for sure they would! But if they take 500 away then the idea is that another 1000 would stay at home and stream it live.

I have no idea what Accrington normally get at home never mind away! I have no idea why I chose them as an example. lol

Think about the swans in the lower league. you will always get the hard core that travel to Boston Utd on a Tuesday night. But you would probably find that the swans would have had at least a 1000 fans willing to pay for the live stream if the technology was available.
Sky to show midweek championship games on 13:46 - Sep 12 with 1441 viewsAguycalledJack

Unfortunately I can see it working the other way.

Swans or Accrington at home doesn't really matter who the team is.

There will be plenty who would normally go to the game. However, will see the opportunity to save some cash and have a couple of pints in the local pub or watch at home, therefore detracting from the attendance on the gate.

May drive the price of tickets down? but in the long run I can still see it being the clubs that will be out of pocket.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2017 13:47]
Sky to show midweek championship games on 13:54 - Sep 12 with 1413 viewsEilian

Sky to show midweek championship games on 13:46 - Sep 12 by AguycalledJack

Unfortunately I can see it working the other way.

Swans or Accrington at home doesn't really matter who the team is.

There will be plenty who would normally go to the game. However, will see the opportunity to save some cash and have a couple of pints in the local pub or watch at home, therefore detracting from the attendance on the gate.

May drive the price of tickets down? but in the long run I can still see it being the clubs that will be out of pocket.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2017 13:47]

The idea is that its an increased revenue stream for clubs. They could only ever make more money. (so long as they are half decently run)
Sky to show midweek championship games on 14:30 - Sep 12 with 1342 viewspencoedjack

Once the atmosphere is lost in grounds (with away supporters not being there) football will lose even more appeal to me, & I can see that happening if streaming becomes readily available (I'm a hypocrite as I already steam away games I don't go too)

PL football is already starting to price out the average working man from attending games, it will soon be a stadium full of happy clappers & corporate boxes.
Sky to show midweek championship games on 14:35 - Sep 12 with 1333 viewsEilian

Sky to show midweek championship games on 14:30 - Sep 12 by pencoedjack

Once the atmosphere is lost in grounds (with away supporters not being there) football will lose even more appeal to me, & I can see that happening if streaming becomes readily available (I'm a hypocrite as I already steam away games I don't go too)

PL football is already starting to price out the average working man from attending games, it will soon be a stadium full of happy clappers & corporate boxes.

It's an understandable point. But it could well turn out to be the opposite where only the hard core attend and the armchair supporters who have never sung a football chant in their lives stay in their arm chairs.

The stadium was full on Sunday, in both home and away sections of the ground.

I don't see attendances falling, but id imagine stadium expansion would be put on the back burner for the foreseeable future.
Sky to show midweek championship games on 18:28 - Sep 12 with 1223 viewsAguycalledJack

Sky to show midweek championship games on 14:35 - Sep 12 by Eilian

It's an understandable point. But it could well turn out to be the opposite where only the hard core attend and the armchair supporters who have never sung a football chant in their lives stay in their arm chairs.

The stadium was full on Sunday, in both home and away sections of the ground.

I don't see attendances falling, but id imagine stadium expansion would be put on the back burner for the foreseeable future.

If this happens in the Pl. guaranteed apart from when playing the top 6 this will hit our crowds.

Further, if they stream pl club games you can guarantee it will hit the lower leagues. A pissy rainy night standing on some terrace or feet up watching the premiere league on tv with a can in front of the fire.

They are not doing this to benefit the clubs.
Login to get fewer ads

Sky to show midweek championship games on 19:27 - Sep 12 with 1164 viewsscottishjack

With all the money involved in these TV rights deals, I dare say that for now, the smaller clubs will be compensated accordingly. Up until the inevitable end game where the big boys break away and negotiate their own separate deals as happens in Spain. That's where the adjustments will have to be made.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024