Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh 14:57 - Oct 16 with 11517 viewswestwalesed

I know there are some on here who don't see the value in the Welsh language, but the official website can be translated into Mandarin, but not Welsh, which is an official language of the United Kingdom and needless to say spoken by many, many, people as a first language particularly in west Wales. I think this is an utter disgrace.

I e-mailed the Digital Media Manager over the weekend, and this was the reply I have received today:

"Hi Edward

Many thanks for your email.

We have a Mandarin button on the site purely for our sponsor LeTou. We are currently translating the swansdirect.com store into Welsh as well as Spanish but with the main website we are unlikely to translate this into any other language. As when I have analysed traffic and usage it really doesn’t warrant any other translations.

Thanks again for your email

Beccy Symmons"

Surely this can't be right??????

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 17:13 - Oct 19 with 896 viewscostalotta

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 17:03 - Oct 19 by londonlisa2001

I think you are missing part of what I'm saying which is not about fans as individuals, and more about representing the area and country and that includes the languages that are spoken.

To a very different degree, it's the same as Barcelona having a website in Spanish but not also in Catalan. It's part of the identity that they represent. Locals would go mental if they did that.

As an aside though, the Swans have always had big support from the Turks, Burry Port, the Swansea and Neath valleys and lots of Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire, many of whom are Welsh speaking. The internet is a very different animal now to back in the day when it was around, but nowhere near what it is now.

I didn't I miss it and I do get it, sort of.

I just do t see it as a massive stick to hit the club with at this time. Nor do I think it's that important for the club to focus on right now. I'm sorry if that offends anyone it's just my view.

Some would say that We've just had the club taken awy from us, that it's not our club anymore yada. And yet here we are argument about this.

By the way you are wrong regarding the internet. This is one of the things my company does in terms of our offerings and the internet has not changed that would have excluded language versioning of website from back in the day. That is a fact and one I know to be 100% true as my company were one of the first to offer website language versioning in back in the year 2000.
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 17:18 - Oct 19 with 887 viewslondonlisa2001

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 17:13 - Oct 19 by costalotta

I didn't I miss it and I do get it, sort of.

I just do t see it as a massive stick to hit the club with at this time. Nor do I think it's that important for the club to focus on right now. I'm sorry if that offends anyone it's just my view.

Some would say that We've just had the club taken awy from us, that it's not our club anymore yada. And yet here we are argument about this.

By the way you are wrong regarding the internet. This is one of the things my company does in terms of our offerings and the internet has not changed that would have excluded language versioning of website from back in the day. That is a fact and one I know to be 100% true as my company were one of the first to offer website language versioning in back in the year 2000.

I don't see it as a massive stick. It's just that as far as focus is concerned, it would take 10 minutes focus to decide to do it and appoint a company.

My point on the internet wasn't that the internet couldn't support it - I was talking about everyone's use of the internet which has increased exponentially during that time.

Ten years ago, 80% of people of all ages weren't wandering around with permanent access to the internet via smart phones, iPads etc. Internet shopping has increased massively (and continues to do so). That's the point I was making.
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 17:22 - Oct 19 with 884 viewscostalotta

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 17:18 - Oct 19 by londonlisa2001

I don't see it as a massive stick. It's just that as far as focus is concerned, it would take 10 minutes focus to decide to do it and appoint a company.

My point on the internet wasn't that the internet couldn't support it - I was talking about everyone's use of the internet which has increased exponentially during that time.

Ten years ago, 80% of people of all ages weren't wandering around with permanent access to the internet via smart phones, iPads etc. Internet shopping has increased massively (and continues to do so). That's the point I was making.

RE internet. Fair enough, I mis understood.

Indeed it would only take 10 minutes to decide either way. Get the Trust on it?
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 18:23 - Oct 19 with 855 viewsLoyal

23% of Wales speak Welsh, I'm no advocate of independence and class myself as UK Welsh but genuinely believe that 23% of 3,000,000 is not a small amount of people. Over 700,000 ! And they don't have to be football fans, remember some will be buying things for family etc ...
The club has alienated these people to an extent. It's pitiful.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 19:27 - Oct 19 with 831 viewsSgorioFruit

SCFC should just offer a welsh version of their web page

enough said

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 23:45 - Oct 19 with 791 viewsKilkennyjack

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 14:20 - Oct 19 by londonlisa2001

Swansea City is the only Welsh team in a league broadcast all over the world. It is a representative of our city and country and part of its role should be showcasing our city and country, the people, the culture, to the hundreds of millions who watch the premier league.

An important part of Welsh culture is our language. Yes, everyone speaks English, but in 50 years' time everyone in the world will speak English. Doesn't mean that native languages should be lost, consigned to the dustbin under a sea of global, popular culture.

It would cost the club relative pennies to provide a Welsh language web site, and it's an absolute disgrace that they don't. Sadly they care far more about the handful of American supporters and appeasing some one season Chinese sponsor than they do about the home and history of the club.

They are in danger of becoming so detached from what it means to be Swansea and Welsh that if the day comes when we get relegated back down the leagues, local people won't give a sh*t. Good luck with finding supporters in Denver, Seattle or Shanghai then!

It's really hit me this season how sad it is that we no longer have any of our players in the Welsh team as well.

Thank you Lisa. Great post.

The total failure of our Multi million pound Academy is a big part of the reason why we have zero welsh players. We seem to say feck the hard work, instead lets just sign players post 18 which other clubs (eg Falkirk) have produced. Its simply bullsj@t.

Remember the days when our club produced McDonald, Joey, Jazz, and Ben within 5 or 6 years. All premiership and internarional players. And we had no money.

The language of heaven enhances our club.

Beware of the Risen People

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 15:16 - Oct 20 with 724 viewscostalotta

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 23:45 - Oct 19 by Kilkennyjack

Thank you Lisa. Great post.

The total failure of our Multi million pound Academy is a big part of the reason why we have zero welsh players. We seem to say feck the hard work, instead lets just sign players post 18 which other clubs (eg Falkirk) have produced. Its simply bullsj@t.

Remember the days when our club produced McDonald, Joey, Jazz, and Ben within 5 or 6 years. All premiership and internarional players. And we had no money.

The language of heaven enhances our club.

It's not that simple my friend.
Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 16:01 - Oct 20 with 710 viewswhoflungdung

Nothing is simple

Language of heaven?

Give me a sick bag ffs

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

Login to get fewer ads

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 21:13 - Oct 20 with 667 viewsSgorioFruit

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 14:20 - Oct 19 by londonlisa2001

Swansea City is the only Welsh team in a league broadcast all over the world. It is a representative of our city and country and part of its role should be showcasing our city and country, the people, the culture, to the hundreds of millions who watch the premier league.

An important part of Welsh culture is our language. Yes, everyone speaks English, but in 50 years' time everyone in the world will speak English. Doesn't mean that native languages should be lost, consigned to the dustbin under a sea of global, popular culture.

It would cost the club relative pennies to provide a Welsh language web site, and it's an absolute disgrace that they don't. Sadly they care far more about the handful of American supporters and appeasing some one season Chinese sponsor than they do about the home and history of the club.

They are in danger of becoming so detached from what it means to be Swansea and Welsh that if the day comes when we get relegated back down the leagues, local people won't give a sh*t. Good luck with finding supporters in Denver, Seattle or Shanghai then!

It's really hit me this season how sad it is that we no longer have any of our players in the Welsh team as well.

Top posting here.

But a bit sad to read.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 21:36 - Oct 20 with 646 viewsKilkennyjack

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 16:01 - Oct 20 by whoflungdung

Nothing is simple

Language of heaven?

Give me a sick bag ffs

Iaith y Nefoedd 👏🏐

Beware of the Risen People

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 22:21 - Oct 20 with 620 viewscostalotta

Official Swans Website Not in Welsh on 21:36 - Oct 20 by Kilkennyjack

Iaith y Nefoedd 👏🏐

Not sure if either of you understood the point I was trying to make which is producing players of the I'll you mention. If it was, all academies would be producing top talent all of the time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024