Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amazon PL TV deal 12:48 - Jun 7 with 2669 viewsProfessor

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jun/07/amazon-breaks-premier-league-hold-

Interesting in that it will be streaming all 10 games on two Bank Holidays. The question is this the wedge that will drive towards legal streaming for all PL and potentially Championship games?

Many people would pay for a club-specific legal service rather than the current BY & Sky package. I know I would rather pay a reasonable fee to stream Swansea games rather than for a sports channel.
Amazon PL TV deal on 13:15 - Jun 7 with 2578 viewslondonlisa2001

I think the club specific package is a matter of time.

The issue with that, of course, is that the deal structures will have to result in a very unequal financial compensation package for the clubs. Much more akin to the Spanish model.

At present, the strength of the PL has been in keeping the TV deals on a (relatively) equal footing for all 20 clubs. Streaming deals will see that fall away, so the ‘league within a league’ will be even more pronounced.

I can’t see a way this doesn’t end with a European super league and a domestic league, with the Man Utd’s, Liverpools, Arsenals splitting away from the likes of us. For good. No relegation.

In other words, an American sports model.

Personally, although it may well be what viewers in China, the US, Asia, Africa want to see, I have my doubts that it’s truly what UK fans will want to see. Even of those big clubs.
Amazon PL TV deal on 13:26 - Jun 7 with 2546 viewsProfessor

Amazon PL TV deal on 13:15 - Jun 7 by londonlisa2001

I think the club specific package is a matter of time.

The issue with that, of course, is that the deal structures will have to result in a very unequal financial compensation package for the clubs. Much more akin to the Spanish model.

At present, the strength of the PL has been in keeping the TV deals on a (relatively) equal footing for all 20 clubs. Streaming deals will see that fall away, so the ‘league within a league’ will be even more pronounced.

I can’t see a way this doesn’t end with a European super league and a domestic league, with the Man Utd’s, Liverpools, Arsenals splitting away from the likes of us. For good. No relegation.

In other words, an American sports model.

Personally, although it may well be what viewers in China, the US, Asia, Africa want to see, I have my doubts that it’s truly what UK fans will want to see. Even of those big clubs.

I agree,

Having spent a bit of time in Africa and a little in SE Asia, the majority of the PL are seen as cannon fodder for the top 6, although Leicester have a niche in Thailand for obvious reasons. Rugby Union is similar is that the league is just a means to Europe. A top six breakaway with PSG, Barca, the Madrid teams, Sevilla, the Milans, Juve, Roma, Napoli, Bayern, Dortmund and the likes seems to be the future. No doubt conferences with a play-off system that allow annual derby matches within conferences. Probably would include Turkey but lose the little leagues in Belgium and the Netherlands too.

Our future may be a UK league.
Amazon PL TV deal on 13:33 - Jun 7 with 2532 viewslondonlisa2001

Amazon PL TV deal on 13:26 - Jun 7 by Professor

I agree,

Having spent a bit of time in Africa and a little in SE Asia, the majority of the PL are seen as cannon fodder for the top 6, although Leicester have a niche in Thailand for obvious reasons. Rugby Union is similar is that the league is just a means to Europe. A top six breakaway with PSG, Barca, the Madrid teams, Sevilla, the Milans, Juve, Roma, Napoli, Bayern, Dortmund and the likes seems to be the future. No doubt conferences with a play-off system that allow annual derby matches within conferences. Probably would include Turkey but lose the little leagues in Belgium and the Netherlands too.

Our future may be a UK league.

And one day they’ll turn around and wonder why no one cares so much anymore.
Amazon PL TV deal on 13:37 - Jun 7 with 2516 viewsmoonie

Football is eating itself ,as are many professional sports .

Money money money
Amazon PL TV deal on 13:44 - Jun 7 with 2494 viewsProfessor

Amazon PL TV deal on 13:33 - Jun 7 by londonlisa2001

And one day they’ll turn around and wonder why no one cares so much anymore.

Already happening. I really was not bothered we were relegated. Would have cried 5 years ago. Now watch very little football, would rather watch Rugby of either code on TV. Not bothered about the World Cup.
Amazon PL TV deal on 13:45 - Jun 7 with 2491 viewsjackjackjackjack

Amazon PL TV deal on 13:37 - Jun 7 by moonie

Football is eating itself ,as are many professional sports .

Money money money

But it's what the TV/streaming companies want, people watch sport live, unlike drama, comedy etc.

Plus all the additional coverage that you can add to a live match. Sky Sports News is virtually all football, and that must bring in a decent amount of money.

Poll: Where will we finish in the Championship ?

Amazon PL TV deal on 14:56 - Jun 7 with 2367 viewslondonlisa2001

Amazon PL TV deal on 13:44 - Jun 7 by Professor

Already happening. I really was not bothered we were relegated. Would have cried 5 years ago. Now watch very little football, would rather watch Rugby of either code on TV. Not bothered about the World Cup.

I find I hardly bother watching any games that we are not involved in anymore.

In fact, i’ll cancel my skysports next month as I’ve no interest in it for next season.

I suspect i’ll never bother taking it again, even if we get promoted. I’ve already cancelled my btsports about 6 months ago.
Amazon PL TV deal on 15:24 - Jun 7 with 2325 viewstrinityann

Amazon PL TV deal on 14:56 - Jun 7 by londonlisa2001

In fact, i’ll cancel my skysports next month as I’ve no interest in it for next season.

I suspect i’ll never bother taking it again, even if we get promoted. I’ve already cancelled my btsports about 6 months ago.

We have had the pleasure of watching our own team week in and week out since we had been in premier league and that's has changed our viewing habits. I can now only watch domestic football that involves our games, I have totally lost interest in games that don't involve us.

I personally think we are about 3/4 years away from having legal access to watch your own team week in and week out or viewing numbers will just keep dropping. We are in a fast changing world in the way we viewing our TV, streaming sites are taking over satellite TV etc and today's world where kids can't go two minutes without checking their phones will not have the patience to watch 90 mins of football. Sports which are over 3/4 hours long like Cricket and Snooker are struggling with their TV audiences.
Login to get fewer ads

Amazon PL TV deal on 15:44 - Jun 7 with 2288 viewslondonlisa2001

Amazon PL TV deal on 15:24 - Jun 7 by trinityann

We have had the pleasure of watching our own team week in and week out since we had been in premier league and that's has changed our viewing habits. I can now only watch domestic football that involves our games, I have totally lost interest in games that don't involve us.

I personally think we are about 3/4 years away from having legal access to watch your own team week in and week out or viewing numbers will just keep dropping. We are in a fast changing world in the way we viewing our TV, streaming sites are taking over satellite TV etc and today's world where kids can't go two minutes without checking their phones will not have the patience to watch 90 mins of football. Sports which are over 3/4 hours long like Cricket and Snooker are struggling with their TV audiences.

Yes - I think that’s absolutely right. I’ve also found that being in the premier league has made me lose interest in the premier league as a whole (if you see what I mean).

No idea whether that’s widespread or just me (or a few of us)!
Amazon PL TV deal on 15:55 - Jun 7 with 2264 viewsShaky

To me the most interesting thing about this story is that the fee is undisclosed, coming on the back of the already announced news that the prior auction was unsuccessful.

In which Amazon/streaming sites had previously been touted as big bidders, but where they failed to turn up.

This time around it sounds to me very much like the Prem have persuaded Amazon to do some sort of test marketing for very little outlay to try to get them hooked.

Almost certainly the domestic component of the TV rights deal will be lower next time around. That's a negative for player valuations, at a time when Swansea have turned sellers.

[Post edited 7 Jun 2018 15:56]

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Amazon PL TV deal on 16:00 - Jun 7 with 2239 viewsProfessor

Amazon PL TV deal on 14:56 - Jun 7 by londonlisa2001

Was going to do the same, but managed to negotiate a deal for a cheaper package which kept SS. I watch a bit of cricket and rugby on there, though of course the Celtic League is moving to a new home next season. No BBC or Sky.

Will probably see more game live next season-being saving for a family trip this year,
Amazon PL TV deal on 16:04 - Jun 7 with 2223 viewstrinityann

Amazon PL TV deal on 15:44 - Jun 7 by londonlisa2001

Yes - I think that’s absolutely right. I’ve also found that being in the premier league has made me lose interest in the premier league as a whole (if you see what I mean).

No idea whether that’s widespread or just me (or a few of us)!

It doesn't help that we were so bad to watch last season, we had so many games where we had low single digits shots on goal. Last season's performances must have knocked a few thousand off the fan base. I lost count how many games I turned off because A) we were unwatchable and B) once we were losing, we just didn't have the ability to come back.
Amazon PL TV deal on 16:09 - Jun 7 with 2208 viewsShaky

TV rights revenue viewed slightly differently for the overseas optimists:

Misology -- It's a bitch

Amazon PL TV deal on 16:11 - Jun 7 with 2203 viewsJack_y_Jwc

Amazon PL TV deal on 15:55 - Jun 7 by Shaky

To me the most interesting thing about this story is that the fee is undisclosed, coming on the back of the already announced news that the prior auction was unsuccessful.

In which Amazon/streaming sites had previously been touted as big bidders, but where they failed to turn up.

This time around it sounds to me very much like the Prem have persuaded Amazon to do some sort of test marketing for very little outlay to try to get them hooked.

Almost certainly the domestic component of the TV rights deal will be lower next time around. That's a negative for player valuations, at a time when Swansea have turned sellers.

[Post edited 7 Jun 2018 15:56]

Have you recently downloaded Excel onto your laptop or something - every time you post it involves a graph

Amazon PL TV deal on 16:13 - Jun 7 with 2193 viewsShaky

Amazon PL TV deal on 16:11 - Jun 7 by Jack_y_Jwc

Have you recently downloaded Excel onto your laptop or something - every time you post it involves a graph

Yeah, just downloaded a cracked copy of Office 2000 on bit torrent the other day, and am loving it.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Amazon PL TV deal on 16:49 - Jun 7 with 2119 viewsProfessor

Amazon PL TV deal on 16:13 - Jun 7 by Shaky

Yeah, just downloaded a cracked copy of Office 2000 on bit torrent the other day, and am loving it.

You need PrismPad Shaky.

Excel is trash at making great graphs especially scatter plots and showing ranges and medians. I deal with a lot of non-parametric data. Excel don't like it.
Amazon PL TV deal on 17:10 - Jun 7 with 2084 viewsShaky

Amazon PL TV deal on 16:49 - Jun 7 by Professor

You need PrismPad Shaky.

Excel is trash at making great graphs especially scatter plots and showing ranges and medians. I deal with a lot of non-parametric data. Excel don't like it.

I am forced to use Powerpoint for graphics these days.

I held out and used Lotus Freelance for many years and even kept a dedicated unpatched windows 2000 machine well after its sell by date on which I ran something called Lotus Graphwriter.

That used to be the only way to do something we called kebab diagrams, which is a form of circular area diagram on 1 or 2 axis used for showing relative market share with or without other variables.

Powerpoint can do something similar now, but it all looks rubbish.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Amazon PL TV deal on 17:17 - Jun 7 with 2068 viewsShaky

Come to think of it I also used Lotus 123 for many, many years, but had to give up eventually.

For starters the keystrokes are much quicker for power users than the bloody mouse based interface.

But for me the most important feature was the ability to group spreadsheets 3 dimensionally, and then have row and column inserts and deletions mirrored automatically.

In this way you could easily keep financial data for multiple entities in separate sheets, and sum them 3 dimensionally and everything would be in the right place.

I just can not understand why Excel never implemented such an important feature. It vexes me just thinking about it again. Grrrrr.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Amazon PL TV deal on 17:26 - Jun 7 with 2053 viewsProfessor

Amazon PL TV deal on 17:17 - Jun 7 by Shaky

Come to think of it I also used Lotus 123 for many, many years, but had to give up eventually.

For starters the keystrokes are much quicker for power users than the bloody mouse based interface.

But for me the most important feature was the ability to group spreadsheets 3 dimensionally, and then have row and column inserts and deletions mirrored automatically.

In this way you could easily keep financial data for multiple entities in separate sheets, and sum them 3 dimensionally and everything would be in the right place.

I just can not understand why Excel never implemented such an important feature. It vexes me just thinking about it again. Grrrrr.

Biological data is very different to financial. Excel is OK but struggles with what we do and simply can't cope with data from DNA sequencing. Thankfully I now get to employe brighter, younger people who do all this for me. I just have to come up with ideas or translate the student of research associate's idea into a workable experiment, get the work published and most crucially bring in the research income. Managing the income is another matter!
Amazon PL TV deal on 17:28 - Jun 7 with 2050 viewsShaky

Amazon PL TV deal on 17:26 - Jun 7 by Professor

Biological data is very different to financial. Excel is OK but struggles with what we do and simply can't cope with data from DNA sequencing. Thankfully I now get to employe brighter, younger people who do all this for me. I just have to come up with ideas or translate the student of research associate's idea into a workable experiment, get the work published and most crucially bring in the research income. Managing the income is another matter!

I can imagine!

FWIW sounds to me like databases are the way to go for you analytically. Much easier to define and manipulate structure.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Amazon PL TV deal on 18:22 - Jun 7 with 1975 viewsTenbySwan

The thing to Do then is get your 1 month free trial just in time for Boxing Day
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024