Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Newcastle Emlyn 19:41 - Nov 5 with 6383 viewstaffpunk

How many pubs are there, places to stay etc...going up there in January to watch my local Egg team, as ever I've been lumbered with sorting the trip out. Is it a place that's worth staying overnight? Better off going back to Carmarthen? Help...

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Newcastle Emlyn on 17:44 - Nov 6 with 1476 viewsoldcob

Was up Ystrad with Neath many moons ago for a cup game. Fantastic welcome, real people up there. No airs and graces, just a fantastic warm welcome.
Newcastle Emlyn on 17:54 - Nov 6 with 1464 viewsFlashberryjack

Newcastle Emlyn on 06:28 - Nov 6 by Pacemaker

My parents and youngest brother still live in the area, I rarely call in the club now due to time constraints but my name is still on captains board and there are a few photos of me from my playing days up there. A good community club despite the fall in numbers in its heyday, club was open all day 7 days a week at one time.

I am still friends with a large number of former players including John Davies the current steward.

That would be "Big John" ? although he's lost about 8 or 9 stone in the last year or two, but a hell of a nice fella.

I'll have a look for your name on the captains board next time I'm over there, there can't be to many with the name "pacemaker" on the captains board.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Newcastle Emlyn on 18:16 - Nov 6 with 1455 viewstaffpunk

Newcastle Emlyn on 17:44 - Nov 6 by oldcob

Was up Ystrad with Neath many moons ago for a cup game. Fantastic welcome, real people up there. No airs and graces, just a fantastic warm welcome.

I was there, great day out. Loads of you came into our local-The Galed-which bizarrely is now the Rugby Club. The Rhondda has for some reason still got a bad reputation. People are made most welcome, unless they f@ck about, same as most working class areas in South Wales.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Newcastle Emlyn on 22:09 - Nov 6 with 1399 viewsPacemaker

Newcastle Emlyn on 17:27 - Nov 6 by taffpunk

Ralph was the leader of 'Ralph's Regiment' in Ystrad/Llwynypia in the mid to late 70's, hard as nails, but a lovely bloke. Him and his mates all used to wear Army gear, and hang around Ystrad Sports Centre.His brother Robert was the scrum half, and 'Old Ralph' their Dad was the coach. Still see Ralph now and then, and their younger brother James was also a very good scrum half .

Micky Griff is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, and you might be surprised to hear a big CCFC fan. My father in law played for Treherbert more than 300 times from the early 60's's to the mid/late 70's!
[Post edited 6 Nov 2018 17:43]

I must know your father in law then as my family links with Treherbert go back to the early 60's and my father in law was capt in the mid 70's. My 3 brothers and I all played for them as did all my nephews.

I am pretty sure I know who you are as my wife's cousin is Anthony Holvey from Gelli who went to Pandy Grammer / Mid Rhondda Comp school. His father Derek is well known as a stalwart of Ton Pentre FC and music teacher.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Newcastle Emlyn on 22:13 - Nov 6 with 1393 viewsPacemaker

Newcastle Emlyn on 17:54 - Nov 6 by Flashberryjack

That would be "Big John" ? although he's lost about 8 or 9 stone in the last year or two, but a hell of a nice fella.

I'll have a look for your name on the captains board next time I'm over there, there can't be to many with the name "pacemaker" on the captains board.

A little known fact about John "Whale" was he was a very good all round sportsman and had schoolboy trials with Swansea as a goalie but refused to lose weight. Went on to be a very good tight prop and scored about 12 try's one season, no way of stopping him once he got going.

Ask John about Lee and Mark Jones don't believe everything he tells you..

Newcastle Emlyn on 09:08 - Nov 7 with 1337 viewstaffpunk

Newcastle Emlyn on 22:09 - Nov 6 by Pacemaker

I must know your father in law then as my family links with Treherbert go back to the early 60's and my father in law was capt in the mid 70's. My 3 brothers and I all played for them as did all my nephews.

I am pretty sure I know who you are as my wife's cousin is Anthony Holvey from Gelli who went to Pandy Grammer / Mid Rhondda Comp school. His father Derek is well known as a stalwart of Ton Pentre FC and music teacher.

The plot thickens-lol. My father in law is Gwyn Davies-Gwyn Dad/Dap-he was a teacher in Treorchy Comp.
Anthony Holvey-Pele-is a very good friend of mine, calls in the Record Shop for a catch up every now and then. We grew up together, played for the same football team, and later drank in The Galed. Derek's an absolutely lovely man, and I regularly see him at Ynys Park.

Newcastle Emlyn on 13:45 - Nov 7 with 1284 viewsFlashberryjack

Newcastle Emlyn on 22:13 - Nov 6 by Pacemaker

A little known fact about John "Whale" was he was a very good all round sportsman and had schoolboy trials with Swansea as a goalie but refused to lose weight. Went on to be a very good tight prop and scored about 12 try's one season, no way of stopping him once he got going.

Ask John about Lee and Mark Jones don't believe everything he tells you..

Will do

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Newcastle Emlyn on 18:26 - Nov 7 with 1239 viewsPacemaker

Newcastle Emlyn on 09:08 - Nov 7 by taffpunk

The plot thickens-lol. My father in law is Gwyn Davies-Gwyn Dad/Dap-he was a teacher in Treorchy Comp.
Anthony Holvey-Pele-is a very good friend of mine, calls in the Record Shop for a catch up every now and then. We grew up together, played for the same football team, and later drank in The Galed. Derek's an absolutely lovely man, and I regularly see him at Ynys Park.

Yes Gwyn taught at Treorchy when I was there he spent most of it giving me a good shaking. Lovely bloke a bit of an intimidating father in law in his prime I would imagine. He was in the same team as most of my family and in laws.

I remember you posting something before and realised you must know Anthony who is a great guy and quite possibly the most chilled guy in the world, does some amazing woodwork and his guitars look beautiful very talented guy.

Next time you see him tell him Karen’s husband Lee has been bigging him up!

Login to get fewer ads

Newcastle Emlyn on 18:59 - Nov 7 with 1221 viewstaffpunk

Newcastle Emlyn on 18:26 - Nov 7 by Pacemaker

Yes Gwyn taught at Treorchy when I was there he spent most of it giving me a good shaking. Lovely bloke a bit of an intimidating father in law in his prime I would imagine. He was in the same team as most of my family and in laws.

I remember you posting something before and realised you must know Anthony who is a great guy and quite possibly the most chilled guy in the world, does some amazing woodwork and his guitars look beautiful very talented guy.

Next time you see him tell him Karen’s husband Lee has been bigging him up!

Funnily enough, Gwyn as a father in law was completely different to how many people told me he was like as a teacher. I've never really had a cross word with him in all the time I've known him. I'll pass on your regards to Anthony when I see him next.

As a footnote to the original post, we won't be stopping for the night in NE. The hotel's prices are crazily high for a bunch of blokes out on the ale!

Newcastle Emlyn on 00:18 - Nov 8 with 1151 viewsjacktar

You'll be allright down there mun. No geordies in Newcastle Emlyn so no fighting.
Watch out for Emlyn though ................ heart of gold, smells a bit.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024