Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gardening tips 16:39 - May 18 with 3055 viewsCatullus

Been spending a lot of time in the garden. it's starting to look better but still a lot to be done.
We had a raised flower bed but it was only about 6 inches high. A neighbour is taking down one of his garden walls which was handy because we started taking the stones/rocks out of his skip to use to build ours up. Has anyone got any tips re building stone walls?
The raised bed will be about halfway down the garden then we plan to turn the back end into a vegetable patch.

Anyone else been pushed into a new interest by the lockdown? I used to hate gardening but I've grown to enjoy the outdoors time.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Gardening tips on 21:01 - May 18 with 2973 viewsDr_Winston

I'm starting to try and grow/maintain flowers in pots at the moment as my garden is either patio or chippings. Not having a great amount of luck as sometimes it feels like I kill more foliage than Agent Orange.

Think I need to deadhead them more than I did last year to keep them blooming.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Gardening tips on 21:37 - May 18 with 2949 viewslonglostjack

Lavetara is a good flower. Plant seeds in pots ( not too late ). Very hardy and don’t need deadheading. Darran tipped me off about them. Somebody else recommended them on Mumsnet apparently.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Gardening tips on 21:44 - May 18 with 2934 viewsCooperman

Our gardens are immaculate this year. By mid April I had painted all walls, fences and sheds, got the moss out of the lawns, painted decking, cleaned patio and generally tidied after the winter. It’s unlikely to be like this so soon in the year ever again.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Gardening tips on 21:45 - May 18 with 2928 viewsSwanjaxs

Best gardening tip ever...

Concrete the fùcka over 👍

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Gardening tips on 21:50 - May 18 with 2919 viewslifelong

New Guinea Busy Lizzies are very good, they will flower well into the Autumn.
https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/impatiens-new-guinea-group/
Gardening tips on 21:51 - May 18 with 2917 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Not wall-related, but in general I'd recommend 'going native' as much as possible when looking for plants, shrubs and trees.

Native plants will grow better, require less watering/fertilizing and generally be happier in their surroundings, plus they help support local wildlife. I think a lot of people get disheartened when they start gardening by failing to keep alive some exotic plants they found on sale at Homebase and give up.

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Gardening tips on 21:51 - May 18 with 2915 viewsjack2jack

Check this guy out, he's very good.
https://www.pavingexpert.com/hard-landscape-features-2
There's loads of info on there, hit the green button top right, to navigate around his site.👍
Gardening tips on 10:41 - May 19 with 2793 viewsCatullus

Gardening tips on 21:51 - May 18 by jack2jack

Check this guy out, he's very good.
https://www.pavingexpert.com/hard-landscape-features-2
There's loads of info on there, hit the green button top right, to navigate around his site.👍

Our garden is quite long, we discovered the previius owner had used paviers to form a boundary between lawn and flower beds. The flower beds are going back to lawn, the paviers have come in handy, being a regular shape, I got some cement and started building a wall, it was quite quick and the paviers locked together nicely. I've got a way to go yet though.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Login to get fewer ads

Gardening tips on 19:24 - May 19 with 2719 viewsdameedna

Assuming it is quite basic, do a decent base of gravel and mix a bag or cement with water

drop some cement on the gravel and lay your base course of slabs, bricks or rocks

after that
Gardening tips on 19:19 - May 20 with 2629 viewsCatullus

Gardening tips on 19:24 - May 19 by dameedna

Assuming it is quite basic, do a decent base of gravel and mix a bag or cement with water

drop some cement on the gravel and lay your base course of slabs, bricks or rocks

after that

Fortunately there was a pre existing flower bed stone wall but it was very low and covered in grass and weeds, we're using it as the base and bulding up on it.

Handily, other neighbours were knocking down a wall too and we have plenty of stone.

It is very basic, very rustic!

Gardening tips on 21:53 - May 20 with 2588 viewsDuklaPrague

It all depends upon what you want. Me I love flowers, colours, bees and nature. My grass is always immaculate but its where you are with your garden.
Think what you want, with what you have.
Patio, Grass, Planting??
look at where the sun crosses your garden. Then look at what you want according to the sun you get in the garden. Its not a 10min process, my garden, including palm trees has taken me 20yrs. You can do whatever you want if you have a little dedication and a shedfull of patience and time.
think about it
Gardening tips on 22:35 - May 20 with 2573 viewsbuilthjack

Gardening tips on 19:19 - May 20 by Catullus

Fortunately there was a pre existing flower bed stone wall but it was very low and covered in grass and weeds, we're using it as the base and bulding up on it.

Handily, other neighbours were knocking down a wall too and we have plenty of stone.

It is very basic, very rustic!

When building the wall, it will look better if you put some black dye in the mix. Then, even if your stonework building isn't great, in a few months it will weather, and look the part.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Gardening tips on 01:09 - May 21 with 2524 viewsdameedna

when the wall is up showing some raggedy cement in the cracks

take a large trowel, or a hammer and chisel and

knock off the gnarly bits of concrete in the cracks

then smooth cracks with some rough sandpaper

paint over the mortar/cement cracks with colourbond exterior paint

maybe use the colour Dune which looks like concrete

or match the stone colour used

rub some soil over the cracks when paint is dry for weathered look

dont forget to post a picture lol
Gardening tips on 20:18 - May 23 with 2382 viewsCatullus

Gardening tips on 21:53 - May 20 by DuklaPrague

It all depends upon what you want. Me I love flowers, colours, bees and nature. My grass is always immaculate but its where you are with your garden.
Think what you want, with what you have.
Patio, Grass, Planting??
look at where the sun crosses your garden. Then look at what you want according to the sun you get in the garden. Its not a 10min process, my garden, including palm trees has taken me 20yrs. You can do whatever you want if you have a little dedication and a shedfull of patience and time.
think about it

Our garden faces pretty much South East, gets lot of sun. We're keeping half as lawn and hoping to prep the back half for a veggie patch next year. The raised bed will have a rose bush in the middle and my wife is going to plant wild flowers (well use a couple of flower bombs actually) but the biggest issue right now is the hedge, it's massively overgrown, I've been working on it bit by bit but it's taking forever!

Gardening tips on 04:31 - May 24 with 2332 viewsNotLoyal

I love a good w@nk in my garden, even under the current lockdown, in fact it's brought a new meaning to it all.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Gardening tips on 09:51 - May 24 with 2292 viewsCatullus

Gardening tips on 04:31 - May 24 by NotLoyal

I love a good w@nk in my garden, even under the current lockdown, in fact it's brought a new meaning to it all.

That's not the kind of seed it needs mun!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024