Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Travel to Wales 09:25 - Jun 6 with 6714 viewslegoman

I posted recently about visiting elderly parents in Swansea. Mrs L and I are wondering whether we could make a day visit from here in Bromley. We thought about driving down early, staying with parents for a few hours but in their garden, then driving back home.

It would be a long day but we're not sure when things are going to change. We know the Welsh government rules ask people to stay local, but what do you folks think?

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

Travel to Wales on 19:33 - Jun 24 with 925 viewsFlashberryjack

Travel to Wales on 18:05 - Jun 24 by londonlisa2001

No, you can’t.

Well, you could do and just ignore the complete nonsense but you’re not supposed to,

If it was serious I certainly would, but I’ve tried throughout as most have to stick with what they say you should do. But the 5 mile rule is utter rubbish. As has been seen in the last week or so, it does nothing to prevent local outbreaks. And has been seen from the relative figures in the past few weeks since Wales and England started diverging, it’s done nothing to change the relative number of cases in the two countries.

And hardly anyone adheres to the 5 mile limit anyway, as you say a load of bollox.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Travel to Wales on 19:40 - Jun 24 with 916 viewsexiledclaseboy

Travel to Wales on 19:32 - Jun 24 by Whiterockin

I am not flouting the rules, as I say I have authorisation to travel. Just stating that I have never been stopped or my work colleagues.

I wasn’t having a go and wasn’t suggesting you were/are flouting anything. I made a general point prompted by your post.

Poll: Tory leader

Travel to Wales on 19:41 - Jun 24 with 915 viewsWhiterockin

Travel to Wales on 19:33 - Jun 24 by Flashberryjack

And hardly anyone adheres to the 5 mile limit anyway, as you say a load of bollox.

Exactly. Many live in Swansea, Cardiff, Newport area and work in the Bristol area and travel every day. Same in mid Wales travelling East and North Wales to Chester, Liverpool and Manchester. Wales should have the same restrictions as England or it just won't work.
Travel to Wales on 21:02 - Jun 24 with 863 viewslondonlisa2001

Travel to Wales on 19:23 - Jun 24 by exiledclaseboy

Fewer. Tsk.

Shame.
Travel to Wales on 21:07 - Jun 24 with 859 viewslondonlisa2001

Travel to Wales on 19:27 - Jun 24 by exhmrc1

Yes people are being stopped to ensure they are following the stay local advice but the 5 mile is a guide and not a rule. It seems that what you dont like is the advice to stay local. The fact is it is working and that is proven by how few cases there are in West Wales. 1 case today between Bridgend, Neath Port Talbot, Swansea, Powys, Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion. 7 counties 1 new case because of the stay local rule instead of doing as you want and have people go into these areas and cause infections.

And the cases in Wales are still higher than in England which doesn’t have such a stupid rule.

I could quite easily pick 7 counties in England which have had no cases.
Travel to Wales on 21:13 - Jun 24 with 858 viewslondonlisa2001

Travel to Wales on 19:28 - Jun 24 by exiledclaseboy

And if you were that’s fine. Right at the start of this we were all crying out for the rules to be properly enforced and castigating those who were flouting them.

As I said earlier, I’m still sticking to the rules.

Doesn’t stop me from thinking some of them are stupid at this point. There’s an enormous difference between March and now. It’s been well over three weeks since the marches started and yet infections are at their lowest level since before lockdown.

It seems that whatever is in place, whatever rules people flout or adhere to, infections are dropping away with local flare ups replacing widespread waves. Let’s hope it stays like this. We all have to do what’s right for our circumstances / health / age. The ‘same rule for everyone’ stance is ridiculous at this point.
Travel to Wales on 21:22 - Jun 24 with 842 viewsexiledclaseboy

Travel to Wales on 21:13 - Jun 24 by londonlisa2001

As I said earlier, I’m still sticking to the rules.

Doesn’t stop me from thinking some of them are stupid at this point. There’s an enormous difference between March and now. It’s been well over three weeks since the marches started and yet infections are at their lowest level since before lockdown.

It seems that whatever is in place, whatever rules people flout or adhere to, infections are dropping away with local flare ups replacing widespread waves. Let’s hope it stays like this. We all have to do what’s right for our circumstances / health / age. The ‘same rule for everyone’ stance is ridiculous at this point.

I agree. But I’m comfortable enough with the differences between the different countries at thus point. Everyone’s individual circumstances will often dictate how they feel about different restrictions.

Poll: Tory leader

Travel to Wales on 21:52 - Jun 24 with 808 viewslondonlisa2001

Travel to Wales on 21:22 - Jun 24 by exiledclaseboy

I agree. But I’m comfortable enough with the differences between the different countries at thus point. Everyone’s individual circumstances will often dictate how they feel about different restrictions.

Of course they will.

But there is a temptation to see this as zero sum and it’s really not.
Login to get fewer ads

Travel to Wales on 22:28 - Jun 24 with 789 viewsDr_Winston

It seems to me that the various Governments know full well that people are flouting the restrictions, yet leave them in place because the 25% of people that don't are the difference.

Most models of this type factor in a bit of non-compliance. 10-15% non-compliance at the height of things is manageable. At this stage it'd be a bonus.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Travel to Wales on 00:00 - Jun 25 with 752 viewsJack59

Travel to Wales on 17:03 - Jun 6 by legoman

Thanks for the responses all. Just to be absolutely clear, no-one in the Lego family intends flouting the rules either here in London or in Wales, not least because L junior is a virologist and so we probably have more info about this thing than many.

We will not travel until it is allowed and safe to do so, and I guess the responses I was hoping for would have contained some info about when folk think Wales might be in a position to allow cross border travel again. Apologies if I didn't clarify that point. We have taken a quick gander at the Welsh rules but couldn't immediately find what we were looking for.

We are fortunate that none of us in the Lego household has a need to use public transport to get to London for work, as I think that is a big risk, along with going to pubs bars and restaurants. It will be a long time before any of us relax our current behaviours regardless of the rules.

But I do think we need to keep things in proportion. Whilst social distancing should be observed and encouraged, remember that you need to be in close proximity with someone outside your household for more than 15 minutes. The chances of you catching Covid from merely passing someone on a country walk or from a cyclist shooting past is very very low. Keeping decent levels of personal hygiene is a mantra we should follow at all times, not just during a pandemic.

Don't have nightmares!

I've had everything delivered for 3 months and made my first visit since that to Home Bargains in Cwmdu Swansea this week. I was shocked at the complete lack of social distancing within the store, there was no queue at the entrance, there were no screens at the checkout, and the girls on the checkout weren't even wearing gloves. The traffic on the roads in both directions was as busy as it would have been on the corresponding day last year (before any virus) I can't imagine there could be worse places in the country for obeying the rules. The official advice is that there needs to be sufficient compassionate grounds for travelling over 5 miles, and they could take into account a persons mental health.
But don't be fooled into thinking people are doing a good job down here in obeying rules,
they did reasonably at first, but now that our comical Wales government representatives have exposed themselves to the people on mainstream TV, any respect and credence that they may have enjoyed has rightly disappeared.
Travel to Wales on 00:03 - Jun 25 with 750 viewscontroversial_jack

Wales, has had far less deaths than the Uk average, despite having done less testing. I have no idea why?
Travel to Wales on 05:40 - Jun 25 with 705 viewsexhmrc1

Travel to Wales on 21:07 - Jun 24 by londonlisa2001

And the cases in Wales are still higher than in England which doesn’t have such a stupid rule.

I could quite easily pick 7 counties in England which have had no cases.

The figures show that 10 of the 16 counties in Mid or South Wales had no new cases yesterday and a further 3 had 1 case each. The 3 that had more than 1 case had 2,4 and 5 cases respectively. I dont see how much lower you can expect them to go. Blaenau Gwent, Newport, Torfaen, Bridgend, Merthyr Tydfil, Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion and Swansea all had no new cases yesterday. Neath Port Talbot, Caerphilly and Monmouthshire had 1 new case each, Cardiff had 2, Rhondda Cynon Taff 4 and Vale of Glam 5. That is everywhere from the Severn Bridge to Pembrokeshire and from the South Wales coast to Welshpool and Machynlleth.

Based on population the UK equivalent for the whole of Mid, South and West Wales would have been 385.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 6:44]
Travel to Wales on 08:52 - Jun 25 with 656 viewsexhmrc1

Just to add to the previous thread 2 local authorities in North Wales yesterday also showed no cases and a further 3 had 2 cases each. Using all of Wales bar Wrexham the UK equivalent would be 440 which is showing how much the outbreaks have affected the figures in the last few days and once all are tested and the figures published the Welsh figures will be lower as they have been for several weeks due largely to the stay local rule.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024