Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
State pension triple lock 18:33 - Jun 18 with 1415 viewsCatullus

Quite the dilemma? Bojo promised the lock would stay kust last month. Atre there any pensioners on here? I can't remember. An 18% raise wouldn't go amiss eh!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/17/furlough-effect-leaves-rishi-su

But then, how badly would people be affected by inflation at that rate?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

State pension triple lock on 18:49 - Jun 18 with 1390 viewsfelixstowe_jack

As pensioners are not going to get a 7% cut in their pension next year to reflect the 7% drop in average earnings this year they can hardly expect an 18% increase the following year to match the 18% rise in average earnings .

Given the coronavirus emergency I think pension rises can be averaged over two or three years.

I am a pensioner by the way .

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

State pension triple lock on 19:46 - Jun 18 with 1352 viewsArthur_from_OTB

As a pensioner myself I am just grateful and amazed that we get anything at all. 18% of the UK population are pensioners and 24% are under 18 years old. Many of the remaining 58% are unemployed or on some sort of disability benefit. How many people are supporting the rest of us and how much longer will they be able to do so? I wouldn't be surprised if we end up on the original 5 bob a week pension.
State pension triple lock on 19:48 - Jun 18 with 1348 viewsCatullus

State pension triple lock on 18:49 - Jun 18 by felixstowe_jack

As pensioners are not going to get a 7% cut in their pension next year to reflect the 7% drop in average earnings this year they can hardly expect an 18% increase the following year to match the 18% rise in average earnings .

Given the coronavirus emergency I think pension rises can be averaged over two or three years.

I am a pensioner by the way .

Maybe they should do the same maths, reduce it by 7% first then add 18% back on?

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

State pension triple lock on 19:55 - Jun 18 with 1333 viewsCatullus

State pension triple lock on 19:46 - Jun 18 by Arthur_from_OTB

As a pensioner myself I am just grateful and amazed that we get anything at all. 18% of the UK population are pensioners and 24% are under 18 years old. Many of the remaining 58% are unemployed or on some sort of disability benefit. How many people are supporting the rest of us and how much longer will they be able to do so? I wouldn't be surprised if we end up on the original 5 bob a week pension.

Your concern is reflected in the rising qualifying age. I have 13 years til I qualify but I expect it may have risen again by then.
That's why I think the welfare state needs massive reform, combined with making employment laws stronger, forcing better personal pension provisions to improve, well there's lots of things hut I suppose the crux of it is taking profits away from shareholders and CEO/board room bonuses and putting it to good use.....the communist in me is rising to the surface again!

State pension triple lock on 20:11 - Jun 18 with 1313 viewsmajorraglan

State pension triple lock on 19:55 - Jun 18 by Catullus

Your concern is reflected in the rising qualifying age. I have 13 years til I qualify but I expect it may have risen again by then.
That's why I think the welfare state needs massive reform, combined with making employment laws stronger, forcing better personal pension provisions to improve, well there's lots of things hut I suppose the crux of it is taking profits away from shareholders and CEO/board room bonuses and putting it to good use.....the communist in me is rising to the surface again!

I am in a similar position age wise and agree with you regarding the rising qualifying age, the Centre for Social Justice which was founded by Ian Duncan Smith advocated increasing the age to 75.

I agree with you regarding reform, it needs to happen as does taxing these huge corporations who are channeling profits made in the UK through tax havens. Maybe if everyone paid their taxes we’d all pay a little less.
State pension triple lock on 20:14 - Jun 18 with 1305 viewsDr_Winston

Shareholders are quite often pension funds too.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

State pension triple lock on 20:16 - Jun 18 with 1295 viewsCatullus

State pension triple lock on 20:11 - Jun 18 by majorraglan

I am in a similar position age wise and agree with you regarding the rising qualifying age, the Centre for Social Justice which was founded by Ian Duncan Smith advocated increasing the age to 75.

I agree with you regarding reform, it needs to happen as does taxing these huge corporations who are channeling profits made in the UK through tax havens. Maybe if everyone paid their taxes we’d all pay a little less.

It might also help if the UK government didn't waste billions on vanity projects and things like 'Bojo One' especially when we are facing up to a recession and possibly a depression, mass unemployment and who knows what else?

State pension triple lock on 11:24 - Jun 19 with 1160 viewsArthur_from_OTB

Most of us have been Communists at some stage. My awakening came when I realised how many criminals and wrong 'uns there were in the world and how the far left always seemed to be on their side.
Login to get fewer ads

State pension triple lock on 11:31 - Jun 19 with 1147 viewsCatullus

State pension triple lock on 11:24 - Jun 19 by Arthur_from_OTB

Most of us have been Communists at some stage. My awakening came when I realised how many criminals and wrong 'uns there were in the world and how the far left always seemed to be on their side.

I have said several times, it doesn't matter whther it's left or right, when you go to the extreme of either side it's a bad thing.

What do you make of this,

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/19/triple-lock-pension-young-

I've not much time for Toynbee but I agree with this. Young people are going to far more affected by the Covid fallout and the government needs to make changes. The state pension should be a top up not a fallback.

State pension triple lock on 12:19 - Jun 19 with 1118 viewsArthur_from_OTB

State pension triple lock on 11:31 - Jun 19 by Catullus

I have said several times, it doesn't matter whther it's left or right, when you go to the extreme of either side it's a bad thing.

What do you make of this,

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/19/triple-lock-pension-young-

I've not much time for Toynbee but I agree with this. Young people are going to far more affected by the Covid fallout and the government needs to make changes. The state pension should be a top up not a fallback.

I couldn’t read the article without signing up but judging by your summary I would guess that she is saying that pensions should be a means tested benefit rather than as an earned fixed sum.

It is really no different from a means tested benefit already. It resembles a private pension in name only. In a private pension your contributions are invested but the state pension is a pyramid scheme.

The idea that you have earned a full pension by paying 35 or 40 years of contributions doesn’t mean anything when someone who has never paid a single NI contribution can get the same pension as you via the government’s Guarantee Credit scheme. As it stands, we are going by Marx’s dictum "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs".

Because needs are unlimited and ability appears to be strictly rationed by nature the retired and the unemployed will find themselves with even less income in the near future.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 12:20]
State pension triple lock on 12:23 - Jun 19 with 1111 viewssherpajacob

I think the following two words in the OP sum up the problem;

"Bojo promised"

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

State pension triple lock on 14:13 - Jun 19 with 1071 viewsItchySphincter

State pension triple lock on 19:48 - Jun 18 by Catullus

Maybe they should do the same maths, reduce it by 7% first then add 18% back on?

Maybe they shouldn’t make promises they can’t keep. It was in their manifesto ffs. Has any government ever made so many u-turns?

Vote for clown, get a circus. Cheers, Brexit.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

State pension triple lock on 13:50 - Jun 20 with 995 viewsDJack

State pension triple lock on 11:24 - Jun 19 by Arthur_from_OTB

You profer the far left and I trump you with the Trump administration.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

State pension triple lock on 13:55 - Jun 20 with 994 viewsDJack

State pension triple lock on 12:19 - Jun 19 by Arthur_from_OTB

I couldn’t read the article without signing up but judging by your summary I would guess that she is saying that pensions should be a means tested benefit rather than as an earned fixed sum.

It is really no different from a means tested benefit already. It resembles a private pension in name only. In a private pension your contributions are invested but the state pension is a pyramid scheme.

The idea that you have earned a full pension by paying 35 or 40 years of contributions doesn’t mean anything when someone who has never paid a single NI contribution can get the same pension as you via the government’s Guarantee Credit scheme. As it stands, we are going by Marx’s dictum "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs".

Because needs are unlimited and ability appears to be strictly rationed by nature the retired and the unemployed will find themselves with even less income in the near future.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 12:20]

I'm pretty certain that you just click on the option not to sign up and carry on reading.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

State pension triple lock on 22:11 - Jun 20 with 911 viewsCatullus

State pension triple lock on 12:23 - Jun 19 by sherpajacob

I think the following two words in the OP sum up the problem;

"Bojo promised"

Well Bojo is more prectised at it than many but to be fair, when any politician mkes a promise we should be wary!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024