Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Living Planet report 09:03 - Sep 10 with 5142 viewsCatullus

As if we didn't know but human expansion is killing us. Wildlife is being lost at the greatest rate ever. A football sized pitch of the Amazon rain forest is being cleared for beef cattle grazing land EVERY MINUTE.
They are even saying that our expansion into other creatures habitats , the illegal wildlife trade and the removal of wildlife could be responsible for the Covid pandemic and that if we continue this kind of thing will be more commonplace.
We are destroying, or maybe have destroyed the balance of our planet and it is the whole of humankind who will suffer as a result of our own greed and stupidity.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The Living Planet report on 07:54 - Sep 15 with 831 viewsScotia

The Living Planet report on 22:46 - Sep 14 by A_Fans_Dad

Would you mind answering a question about your original "Extreme" weather event the the Cumbrian floods.
You didn't actually read the Paul Homewood report did you?

This isn't a climate change thread.

I didn't read every word. It is clear from the first paragraph it isn't written from a position of expertise, which I wouldn't expect from an accountant.

I'll answer if relevant. I'm not prepared to turn this in to another nonsensical climate change thread.
The Living Planet report on 12:04 - Sep 15 with 809 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The Living Planet report on 07:54 - Sep 15 by Scotia

This isn't a climate change thread.

I didn't read every word. It is clear from the first paragraph it isn't written from a position of expertise, which I wouldn't expect from an accountant.

I'll answer if relevant. I'm not prepared to turn this in to another nonsensical climate change thread.

The relevance is that you stayed with your 1 in 800 statistic for those floods to have happened twice in a few years, well I think that is 6 years actually.
But the point is as that report showed there were floods in Cumbria in 1931, 1932 and 1933.
Three years in a row.

So you think that it wasn't written from a position of expertise?
Yet there are more facts than you will get elsewhere.
There were also one previous post and one very telling after post.
The previous post is very condemning, not written by Mr Homewood, but by the author Philip Walling, you might just like to read it.
https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2015/12/26/what-the-authorities-wo

The after post was with reference to the claim that the rainfall was recordbreaking.
However, that particular rain gauge was not at Honister pass prior to 1970, so there is no possible comparison to all the floods prior to that.
Then we come to the actual rain gauge, you would think that to quote a new record that the rain gauge would be part of an official Meteorological weather station wouldn't you?
Well it is not, in fact it is not even Met Office unit and even worse it is not even the same standard of unit the Met Office uses.
Yet they were happy to use it to declare a new record.
https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2015/12/07/record-rainfall-at-honi
https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2015/12/09/is-the-honister-rain-ga

You see what you don't understand about citizen scientist's sceptical forums is that their denizens are not prepared to accept the headline news put out by "experts" and dig down for the truth.
Mr Homewood is an investigator, he has proved the Met Office wrong on numerous occasions using their own data and has forced retractions and corrections from the BBC over their climate claims as well.
Yet you simply dismiss them as not experts, even though they use expert knowledge.
The Living Planet report on 12:13 - Sep 15 with 803 viewsCatullus

The Living Planet report on 21:33 - Sep 14 by A_Fans_Dad

Except cold records are also being broken and not by the odd 0.01C or 0.10C like warm records, we are talking multiple degrees.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/RecordBreakingKC?src=hashtag_click
But you won't hear anything about them in our media.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 21:35]

Yes but we are talking about the average, even if we break a cold day record the year can still be warmer over all.

You do realise that twitter feed is about record cold highs, not lows? In other words it is not as cold as usual. Kansas has a record low of -23 in that feed the coldest day was 0. That is one heck of a mulitple,

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

The Living Planet report on 12:14 - Sep 15 with 802 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I also have a bone to pick with you over this statement.
"Every wind farm I've been involved with has been built on either improved pasture or coniferous forest planted for forestry both of very little value for biodiversity."

How can you so easily dismiss the loss of 14 million treas in Scotland and dismiss the ecology of those Forests, especially as the Pine Marten is an endangered species that is currently being assisted to try and grow their numbers.
You can be extremely offhand and hypocritical when it suits you.

ps All those wonderful 20Gws of Wind Turbines are producing 0.55Gw as I write, wonderful, all those backup generators that have been standing inefficiently "idling" have now had to pick up the slack again, even coal fired ones. So much for the wind always blowing somewhere, it is just a shame it is not around the UK. ROFL
The Living Planet report on 12:27 - Sep 15 with 800 viewsCatullus

The Living Planet report on 12:14 - Sep 15 by A_Fans_Dad

"Every wind farm I've been involved with has been built on either improved pasture or coniferous forest planted for forestry both of very little value for biodiversity."

How can you so easily dismiss the loss of 14 million treas in Scotland and dismiss the ecology of those Forests, especially as the Pine Marten is an endangered species that is currently being assisted to try and grow their numbers.

ps All those wonderful 20Gws of Wind Turbines are producing 0.55Gw as I write, wonderful, all those backup generators that have been standing inefficiently "idling" have now had to pick up the slack again, even coal fired ones. So much for the wind always blowing somewhere, it is just a shame it is not around the UK. ROFL

Now I can agree with you about solar farms and wind turbines, they are part of human expansion into habitat.

I don't see why we can't make it so builders have to put the latest solar panels onto every new build house, make it so estates are designed for every roof to be mostly south facing? Why can't we put solar panels on every existing building? Wouldn't it be worth the expense?

Then maybe we should look to Germany,

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/28/small-town-wolfhagen-commu

https://www.c40.org/case_studies/freiburg-an-inspirational-city-powered-by-solar

There are better ways we are just not open enough to change.

The Living Planet report on 12:39 - Sep 15 with 798 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The Living Planet report on 12:27 - Sep 15 by Catullus

Now I can agree with you about solar farms and wind turbines, they are part of human expansion into habitat.

I don't see why we can't make it so builders have to put the latest solar panels onto every new build house, make it so estates are designed for every roof to be mostly south facing? Why can't we put solar panels on every existing building? Wouldn't it be worth the expense?

Then maybe we should look to Germany,

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/28/small-town-wolfhagen-commu

https://www.c40.org/case_studies/freiburg-an-inspirational-city-powered-by-solar

There are better ways we are just not open enough to change.

The short answer to your questions is NO.
Try reading about the Australian experience of Rooftop Solar Panels.
Adding them to pre-existing buildings is expensive and without subsidies there is no payback.
On top of that they generate electricity exactly when it is not needed, just take a look for yourself.

https://gridwatch.org.uk/

So to make best use of it you also need battery back-up, which use minerals and metals that are currently causing massive toxic waste and being dug out of the ground by kids on very low labour wage rates.

It also has a short working life and so do the batteries which is going to lead to millions of tons of panels that will require "re-cycling" because they are toxic in land fill.

If you really think Green Energy is actually "green" you need to do some reading.
The Living Planet report on 14:58 - Sep 15 with 790 viewsScotia

The Living Planet report on 12:14 - Sep 15 by A_Fans_Dad

I haven't been involved with Scottish windfarms.

However I bet most of those trees were forestry stock of little ecological value and easily replaced, perhaps they were even non native species planted purely to be harvested. The Pine Marten is endangered and heavily protected. Had theree been any impacts to their populations then consent for the windfarms would not have been granted.

Scottish guidance relating to impacts of turbines on birds is the benchmark for the UK.

I bet the areas of trees felled were extensivley surveyed for all aspects of biodiversity, and impacts would have been subject to mitigation and enhancement.

Ultimately you have to consider the bigger picture where the environment is concerned too - is the juice worth the squeeze is the old adage.

PS - Its a good job we have solar farms too then isn't it.
The Living Planet report on 15:48 - Sep 15 with 785 viewsScotia

The Living Planet report on 12:04 - Sep 15 by A_Fans_Dad

The relevance is that you stayed with your 1 in 800 statistic for those floods to have happened twice in a few years, well I think that is 6 years actually.
But the point is as that report showed there were floods in Cumbria in 1931, 1932 and 1933.
Three years in a row.

So you think that it wasn't written from a position of expertise?
Yet there are more facts than you will get elsewhere.
There were also one previous post and one very telling after post.
The previous post is very condemning, not written by Mr Homewood, but by the author Philip Walling, you might just like to read it.
https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2015/12/26/what-the-authorities-wo

The after post was with reference to the claim that the rainfall was recordbreaking.
However, that particular rain gauge was not at Honister pass prior to 1970, so there is no possible comparison to all the floods prior to that.
Then we come to the actual rain gauge, you would think that to quote a new record that the rain gauge would be part of an official Meteorological weather station wouldn't you?
Well it is not, in fact it is not even Met Office unit and even worse it is not even the same standard of unit the Met Office uses.
Yet they were happy to use it to declare a new record.
https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2015/12/07/record-rainfall-at-honi
https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2015/12/09/is-the-honister-rain-ga

You see what you don't understand about citizen scientist's sceptical forums is that their denizens are not prepared to accept the headline news put out by "experts" and dig down for the truth.
Mr Homewood is an investigator, he has proved the Met Office wrong on numerous occasions using their own data and has forced retractions and corrections from the BBC over their climate claims as well.
Yet you simply dismiss them as not experts, even though they use expert knowledge.

I'm very sorry but that lot is just more wrong than the last post. It is completely innaccurate propaganda. I don't think you understand the return period scenario.

What is the case is that we have only recently expanded our rainfall measurement network so it is difficult to compare to previous events, but we can tell a lot from measurement over the last 40 years and extrapolating that over the data that is historically available. Similalrly with our river flow and level measurement network.

There will have been floods in cumbria many times over history, often happenning within the same year. it doesn't surprise me that flood events happened in successive years but they weren't as significant as the two recent events which happened. Also the most recent events benefited from significant flood alleaviation schemes that weren't in place in the 30's but still cause catastrophic damage.

Don't forget the Storm Desmond event destroyed a bridge that had stood for 300 years, unfortunateley costing the life of a policeman.

Also it is not only Cumbria where we are seeing these events - we have recent events in Wales with a return period of about 1 in 400. This added to the Cumbria events and other events show that these events are getting more frequent even on this small Island. There will also be a degree of variability cause by other climatic events - the overall long term trend needs to be considered.

It isn't written from a position of expertise - and it is clear. Those two links written by the accountant Paul Homewood are factually wrong. To the point I would be happy to call him a lier to his face. His comments regarding EA rain gauges are complete nonsense. I would have to correct almost every word if I was to comment fully.

Therefore your third paragraph is completely wrong too, but I suppose you aren't to blame for that as you are quoting an accountant who is commenting on meterological measurement.

Finally the author / barrister Phillip Walling. People have been banging on about dredging rivers to prevent flood for years. It has a extremely limited use. Again that article isn't written with any expertise either, it is about 80% nonsense. I have no idea how qualified he is regarding Hydrology / Geomorphology but I'd suggest he sticks to far right politics.

That isn't citizen science. It is someone who has decided what he wants to find and is going write about it even if his blog post consists largely of untruths.

Do you ever question what you read on these blogs / forums? I suspect you don't because it is what you want to believe. The links you have posted from this blog are wrong in almost every regard.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 16:13]
Login to get fewer ads

The Living Planet report on 18:08 - Sep 15 with 762 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The Living Planet report on 15:48 - Sep 15 by Scotia

I'm very sorry but that lot is just more wrong than the last post. It is completely innaccurate propaganda. I don't think you understand the return period scenario.

What is the case is that we have only recently expanded our rainfall measurement network so it is difficult to compare to previous events, but we can tell a lot from measurement over the last 40 years and extrapolating that over the data that is historically available. Similalrly with our river flow and level measurement network.

There will have been floods in cumbria many times over history, often happenning within the same year. it doesn't surprise me that flood events happened in successive years but they weren't as significant as the two recent events which happened. Also the most recent events benefited from significant flood alleaviation schemes that weren't in place in the 30's but still cause catastrophic damage.

Don't forget the Storm Desmond event destroyed a bridge that had stood for 300 years, unfortunateley costing the life of a policeman.

Also it is not only Cumbria where we are seeing these events - we have recent events in Wales with a return period of about 1 in 400. This added to the Cumbria events and other events show that these events are getting more frequent even on this small Island. There will also be a degree of variability cause by other climatic events - the overall long term trend needs to be considered.

It isn't written from a position of expertise - and it is clear. Those two links written by the accountant Paul Homewood are factually wrong. To the point I would be happy to call him a lier to his face. His comments regarding EA rain gauges are complete nonsense. I would have to correct almost every word if I was to comment fully.

Therefore your third paragraph is completely wrong too, but I suppose you aren't to blame for that as you are quoting an accountant who is commenting on meterological measurement.

Finally the author / barrister Phillip Walling. People have been banging on about dredging rivers to prevent flood for years. It has a extremely limited use. Again that article isn't written with any expertise either, it is about 80% nonsense. I have no idea how qualified he is regarding Hydrology / Geomorphology but I'd suggest he sticks to far right politics.

That isn't citizen science. It is someone who has decided what he wants to find and is going write about it even if his blog post consists largely of untruths.

Do you ever question what you read on these blogs / forums? I suspect you don't because it is what you want to believe. The links you have posted from this blog are wrong in almost every regard.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 16:13]

Well, I will bow to your obvious superior knowledge on all things.

But not on dredging and necessary river and stream maintenance.
It has certainly helped Somerset.
The Living Planet report on 18:33 - Sep 15 with 753 viewsCatullus

The Living Planet report on 12:39 - Sep 15 by A_Fans_Dad

The short answer to your questions is NO.
Try reading about the Australian experience of Rooftop Solar Panels.
Adding them to pre-existing buildings is expensive and without subsidies there is no payback.
On top of that they generate electricity exactly when it is not needed, just take a look for yourself.

https://gridwatch.org.uk/

So to make best use of it you also need battery back-up, which use minerals and metals that are currently causing massive toxic waste and being dug out of the ground by kids on very low labour wage rates.

It also has a short working life and so do the batteries which is going to lead to millions of tons of panels that will require "re-cycling" because they are toxic in land fill.

If you really think Green Energy is actually "green" you need to do some reading.

That's odd because it worked in Germany, do the Australians not use electricity when the sun is shining then? I believe it possibly comes down to how it is organised, as in the German model of individual towns taking over the running. If it can work in Germany, why didn't it work down under? I'll repost the link to Freiburg which is a roaring success,
You are also taking the solar panel comments as them being our only supply. As with most green initiatives they would be used with tidal, hydro and wind power as well as hopefully vastly reduced nuclear/coal fired generation. The batteries are coming on leaps and bounds, improving in power supply, lifespan, storage capacity.

I was in Rhodes last year, every house had solar panels. Maybe because it's very sunny the panels were quite small. As I already say, they are in addition to other initiatives.

The Living Planet report on 18:42 - Sep 15 with 753 viewsScotia

The Living Planet report on 18:08 - Sep 15 by A_Fans_Dad

Well, I will bow to your obvious superior knowledge on all things.

But not on dredging and necessary river and stream maintenance.
It has certainly helped Somerset.

Dredging is of more use in Somerset, but still like painting the Forth bridge. It needs to be an almost continuous process so isn't sustainable in the long term.

It really isn't any use somewhere like Cumbria or Wales for that matter.
The Living Planet report on 19:38 - Sep 15 with 748 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The Living Planet report on 18:33 - Sep 15 by Catullus

That's odd because it worked in Germany, do the Australians not use electricity when the sun is shining then? I believe it possibly comes down to how it is organised, as in the German model of individual towns taking over the running. If it can work in Germany, why didn't it work down under? I'll repost the link to Freiburg which is a roaring success,
You are also taking the solar panel comments as them being our only supply. As with most green initiatives they would be used with tidal, hydro and wind power as well as hopefully vastly reduced nuclear/coal fired generation. The batteries are coming on leaps and bounds, improving in power supply, lifespan, storage capacity.

I was in Rhodes last year, every house had solar panels. Maybe because it's very sunny the panels were quite small. As I already say, they are in addition to other initiatives.

So, you are not aware the problems in Australia with Grid destabalisation caused by wind farms?
Or the roof fires caused by solar panels, which are a nightmare for the fire service.

Of course they use other Generation sources, for every Gw of wind you need 0.9Gw of Backup generation, which in the UK is Gas. NUclear runs 24/7/365 anyway.
Did you look at gridwatch to see what was going on today?

I looked at the Guardian puff piece, because that is all you ever get from them on green energy, but you need an accout, which I would never bother with.
The second one on Freiburg talks a brilliant talk, except the costs involved and the more expensive electricity and not fogetting that they are going to have to do it all again in the not too distant future for even more cost.

The cost to general customers is massive, Germany and Australia have the some of the highest electricity costs in the world apart from small islands.

But what is much worse is they have not reduced their CO2 emmissions at all over the last 10 years.
I suggest that you google the disaster of Germany's energiewende instead of reading green propoganda and the Guardian, but I doubt you will.
The Living Planet report on 22:13 - Sep 15 with 741 viewsCatullus

The Living Planet report on 19:38 - Sep 15 by A_Fans_Dad

So, you are not aware the problems in Australia with Grid destabalisation caused by wind farms?
Or the roof fires caused by solar panels, which are a nightmare for the fire service.

Of course they use other Generation sources, for every Gw of wind you need 0.9Gw of Backup generation, which in the UK is Gas. NUclear runs 24/7/365 anyway.
Did you look at gridwatch to see what was going on today?

I looked at the Guardian puff piece, because that is all you ever get from them on green energy, but you need an accout, which I would never bother with.
The second one on Freiburg talks a brilliant talk, except the costs involved and the more expensive electricity and not fogetting that they are going to have to do it all again in the not too distant future for even more cost.

The cost to general customers is massive, Germany and Australia have the some of the highest electricity costs in the world apart from small islands.

But what is much worse is they have not reduced their CO2 emmissions at all over the last 10 years.
I suggest that you google the disaster of Germany's energiewende instead of reading green propoganda and the Guardian, but I doubt you will.

I don't have a Guardian account but I can read the stories.

I have looked and yes Germany is expensive but it's because of taxes and fees, the renewables surcharge is quite high so the prices are high while the rpoduction charges are low.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/418078/electricity-prices-for-households-in-

I can't comment on the wind farms but maybe the solar panels is a problem with construction and fitting rather than the panels themselves? Again, these problems can be overcome if there's the will.

PS, Nature in decline,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54120111

The Living Planet report on 12:18 - Sep 16 with 721 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The Living Planet report on 22:13 - Sep 15 by Catullus

I don't have a Guardian account but I can read the stories.

I have looked and yes Germany is expensive but it's because of taxes and fees, the renewables surcharge is quite high so the prices are high while the rpoduction charges are low.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/418078/electricity-prices-for-households-in-

I can't comment on the wind farms but maybe the solar panels is a problem with construction and fitting rather than the panels themselves? Again, these problems can be overcome if there's the will.

PS, Nature in decline,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54120111

Why do you want to make energy more expensive for everybody and especially poor people and more unreliable when Germany has shown it made no difference to their CO2 emissions.
When I mentioned Germany and Australia, I forgot to mention the recent rolling blackouts in California for the same reasons.
The Living Planet report on 15:43 - Sep 16 with 713 viewsCatullus

The Living Planet report on 12:18 - Sep 16 by A_Fans_Dad

Why do you want to make energy more expensive for everybody and especially poor people and more unreliable when Germany has shown it made no difference to their CO2 emissions.
When I mentioned Germany and Australia, I forgot to mention the recent rolling blackouts in California for the same reasons.

I don't want to make it more expensive. I pointed out the reason why it is higher is because of taxes and surcharges. The production of the electricity itslef is quite cheap. Therefore, it could be done and it could be cheaper depending on the government. As for unreliable, it isn't unreliable in Germany.

The Living Planet report on 15:56 - Sep 16 with 711 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The Living Planet report on 15:43 - Sep 16 by Catullus

I don't want to make it more expensive. I pointed out the reason why it is higher is because of taxes and surcharges. The production of the electricity itslef is quite cheap. Therefore, it could be done and it could be cheaper depending on the government. As for unreliable, it isn't unreliable in Germany.

Of course it isn't.
https://stopthesethings.com/2020/03/08/dark-ages-transition-wind-solar-obsessed-
The Living Planet report on 19:58 - Sep 16 with 707 viewsCatullus

The Living Planet report on 15:56 - Sep 16 by A_Fans_Dad

Of course it isn't.
https://stopthesethings.com/2020/03/08/dark-ages-transition-wind-solar-obsessed-

It says on there the power failed due to snow and storms, that never happens here so I guess you're right...but there's August 2019....

https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/power-cuts-and-blackouts-in-the-uk-behind-the-head

Again I'll say it, the tech is advancing, getting better and the system has to be up to scratch. Rome wasn't built in a day and we can't keep on destroying our planet. Oh hang on, of course, you don't believe we are.

Did anyone else find it unusually hot this week, for September?

The Living Planet report on 21:45 - Sep 16 with 698 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The Living Planet report on 19:58 - Sep 16 by Catullus

It says on there the power failed due to snow and storms, that never happens here so I guess you're right...but there's August 2019....

https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/power-cuts-and-blackouts-in-the-uk-behind-the-head

Again I'll say it, the tech is advancing, getting better and the system has to be up to scratch. Rome wasn't built in a day and we can't keep on destroying our planet. Oh hang on, of course, you don't believe we are.

Did anyone else find it unusually hot this week, for September?

It is histroically called an Indian Summer.

Without very expensive Backup Green energy cannot power a modern society.
So you don't care how much it costs in envestment every 20 years or so or how much it costs the customers.
As to saving the world, I suggest you look at how much Humanity contributes to CO2 in the Atmosphere and then look at the UK's percentage of it. I will help you out it is 1.02% of the total world.
Let's assume you are right and I am wrong and a doubling of CO2 (to 560ppm) will add 1.5C to the world's average temperature since the start of the Industrial Revolution, mostly to the cold temperatures and not the hot. So about another 0.7C to go from all the world's contributions to CO2.
Work out what difference your Billions are going to save of that 0.7C.
I think the last time I saw it calculated it was about 0.01C, but my memory is not too good.

Those Billions could be much better spent on the poor, the NHS, entreprenereual investment and the infrastucture.

Oops I forgot you don't believe in infrastructure as it might destroy some plants or something.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2020 22:36]
The Living Planet report on 22:40 - Sep 16 with 684 viewsScotia

The Living Planet report on 21:45 - Sep 16 by A_Fans_Dad

So you don't care how much it costs in envestment every 20 years or so or how much it costs the customers.
As to saving the world, I suggest you look at how much Humanity contributes to CO2 in the Atmosphere and then look at the UK's percentage of it. I will help you out it is 1.02% of the total world.
Let's assume you are right and I am wrong and a doubling of CO2 (to 560ppm) will add 1.5C to the world's average temperature since the start of the Industrial Revolution, mostly to the cold temperatures and not the hot. So about another 0.7C to go from all the world's contributions to CO2.
I think the last time I saw it calculated it was about 0.01C, but my memory is not too good.

Those Billions could be much better spent on the poor, the NHS, entreprenereual investment and the infrastucture.

Oops I forgot you don't believe in infrastructure as it might destroy some plants or something.

AFD breaking his own record there.

Even his first sentence is wrong.
The Living Planet report on 11:45 - Sep 17 with 668 viewsCatullus

The Living Planet report on 21:45 - Sep 16 by A_Fans_Dad

Why should the back up be very expensive? Surely as it is back up and therefore needs less usgae it would be cheaper? If we only needed half the power stations we do now and they were at capacity on much fewer occassions, it's cheaper?

The Uk's percentage of CO2 is a diversion, the whole world needs to be doing this or it actually is fairly pointless. That's where my cynicsm comes in, as a race we are bloody stupid. More worried about money than quality of life or the state of our planet.

All the investemtn in green energy, it would provide jobs which is surely good for the economy and thus for poorer people? The big problem is the rich people want to stay richer and keep the poor poorer, to them working like slaves to keep the rich in their ivory towers. Another effect of having greener energy is of course a healthier world which means, hopefully, healthier people. More people in work also means mentally healthier people.

Your last line is dead wrong, what is green energy if not infrastructure. We need the infrastructure but we cannot keep covering green land in concrete. Green spaces are good for mental health,
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/145305/green-space-is-good-for-mental-h

PS, the Indian summer thing, I thought Indian summers were an infrequent occurrence? We had one last year as well, in 2018 too I think. So 3 years in a row....no hang on, in 2017 too,

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/03/what-is-an-indian-summer-and-is-britain-having-on

so 4 years in a row.

The Living Planet report on 12:01 - Sep 17 with 662 viewsScotia

The Living Planet report on 11:45 - Sep 17 by Catullus

Why should the back up be very expensive? Surely as it is back up and therefore needs less usgae it would be cheaper? If we only needed half the power stations we do now and they were at capacity on much fewer occassions, it's cheaper?

The Uk's percentage of CO2 is a diversion, the whole world needs to be doing this or it actually is fairly pointless. That's where my cynicsm comes in, as a race we are bloody stupid. More worried about money than quality of life or the state of our planet.

All the investemtn in green energy, it would provide jobs which is surely good for the economy and thus for poorer people? The big problem is the rich people want to stay richer and keep the poor poorer, to them working like slaves to keep the rich in their ivory towers. Another effect of having greener energy is of course a healthier world which means, hopefully, healthier people. More people in work also means mentally healthier people.

Your last line is dead wrong, what is green energy if not infrastructure. We need the infrastructure but we cannot keep covering green land in concrete. Green spaces are good for mental health,
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/145305/green-space-is-good-for-mental-h

PS, the Indian summer thing, I thought Indian summers were an infrequent occurrence? We had one last year as well, in 2018 too I think. So 3 years in a row....no hang on, in 2017 too,

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/03/what-is-an-indian-summer-and-is-britain-having-on

so 4 years in a row.

Back up isn't expensive and it is getting cheaper. We are also less reliant on it. Similarly with renewables, they are getting cheaper and more reliable. I wonder how much the initial coal fired plants cost in direct comparison?

The Uk's Co2 is absolutely a diversion - to the point on a global scale it is of little releevance, but everyone needs to do their bit, and we can't ignore our part of it. On the whole I think the UK and especially the Welsh governemt are at least saying the right things.

Green energy schemes are absolutely infrastructure. the majority are either legeally classed as "Developments of National Significance" or "Nationally significant infrastructure projects" under planning law - as the lagoon and other projects are.

An indian Summer usually falls in October and November although it may begin September. This is still the summer even though it is the meterological Autumn. It can't conclusively be linked to climate change although isn't evidence against it.
The Living Planet report on 13:49 - Sep 17 with 658 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The Living Planet report on 11:45 - Sep 17 by Catullus

so 4 years in a row.

"Surely as it is back up and therefore needs less usgae it would be cheaper?"
so let me see a plant that is running 24/7 needs exactly the same number of employees as a plant that runs 1/7, you cannot turn them off, only down if you want them to respond quickly to prevent the grid crashing as it did with the last power cut.
So the producer is having to pay 100% of the wages, rates taxes etc while generating 1/24th of their normal income. So you either pay a lot more for their electricity or they go broke and shut down.
There is also more wear and tear on the turbines continually being ramped up & down.
What you fail to realise that for every Wind Turbine or whatever you install it does not replace one single conventional power plant, because when the wind stops you need to replace it all with the backup.
Therefore Back up = total green (except biomass and don't get me started on the idiocy of that)
As the conventional generators have closed, driven out by unfair marketing of green energy the country's electricity spare capacity has been reduced. We edge closer and closer to blackouts.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33527967
If you think intelligent grid and smart meters will help, this is closer to reallity
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills/article-8706033/Smart-meters-used-switch
How anyone can think that Wind farms and Solar farms provide a better outlook than a compact Gas power station I don't know, have you looked the footprints of all 3?
Wind farms especially on shore ones are very bad for the health of anyone near them due to their ultrasound vibrations, so they are not good for the mental health of those that have to put up with them.

India and China are adding more CO2 to their emmissions evry year than the UK generates and you are totally deluded if you think they are going to stop anytime in the next 25 years.
But as I have already told you green energy has not reduced Germany's COs emissions at all.

The statistics show that historically for every green job developed it loses 2 conventional jobs.
I suggest that you look at who actually makes and installs the Solar Panels and Wind turbines we install and it ain't us.
I have read all the hype about how many green jobs have been created, the problem is a lot of them don't actually make anything.

There is nothing unusual about indian summers at all, but a couple of warm days currently is now classed as one.
They don't match this
https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/philip-eden/Summer-1959.htm
And despite all the hype about record breaking summers none of them match 1976, it is not all about the highest temperature reached on dodgy placed thermometers.
https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/hottest-on-record-when-was-the-uks-hottest-summ
The Living Planet report on 14:12 - Sep 17 with 655 viewsScotia

The Living Planet report on 13:49 - Sep 17 by A_Fans_Dad

so let me see a plant that is running 24/7 needs exactly the same number of employees as a plant that runs 1/7, you cannot turn them off, only down if you want them to respond quickly to prevent the grid crashing as it did with the last power cut.
So the producer is having to pay 100% of the wages, rates taxes etc while generating 1/24th of their normal income. So you either pay a lot more for their electricity or they go broke and shut down.
There is also more wear and tear on the turbines continually being ramped up & down.
What you fail to realise that for every Wind Turbine or whatever you install it does not replace one single conventional power plant, because when the wind stops you need to replace it all with the backup.
Therefore Back up = total green (except biomass and don't get me started on the idiocy of that)
As the conventional generators have closed, driven out by unfair marketing of green energy the country's electricity spare capacity has been reduced. We edge closer and closer to blackouts.
If you think intelligent grid and smart meters will help, this is closer to reallity
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills/article-8706033/Smart-meters-used-switch
How anyone can think that Wind farms and Solar farms provide a better outlook than a compact Gas power station I don't know, have you looked the footprints of all 3?
Wind farms especially on shore ones are very bad for the health of anyone near them due to their ultrasound vibrations, so they are not good for the mental health of those that have to put up with them.

India and China are adding more CO2 to their emmissions evry year than the UK generates and you are totally deluded if you think they are going to stop anytime in the next 25 years.
But as I have already told you green energy has not reduced Germany's COs emissions at all.

The statistics show that historically for every green job developed it loses 2 conventional jobs.
I suggest that you look at who actually makes and installs the Solar Panels and Wind turbines we install and it ain't us.
I have read all the hype about how many green jobs have been created, the problem is a lot of them don't actually make anything.

There is nothing unusual about indian summers at all, but a couple of warm days currently is now classed as one.
They don't match this
And despite all the hype about record breaking summers none of them match 1976, it is not all about the highest temperature reached on dodgy placed thermometers.
https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/hottest-on-record-when-was-the-uks-hottest-summ

Sorry that is very outdated.
The Living Planet report on 14:57 - Sep 17 with 652 viewsCatullus

The Living Planet report on 13:49 - Sep 17 by A_Fans_Dad

They don't match this

You are being deliberatly obtuse now. Or did you choose to ignore that I said we could have half the number of nuclear plants? That's a 50% decrease, but you knew that.
The plants are constantly turned up and down now, down during the night and back up for peak.
If you want gas, do you support fracking?

A couple of warm days you say, so is it an indian summer or not. 1976 is another diversion. The average temperature is the issue. But then you never answered the point about the link you posted to Kansas showing the temperature was a record cold spell but a record high for a "low" temperature during the coldest period.

We absolutely can and should be making and fitting our own infrastructure. that we don't is an awful sell out of UK jobs.

The Living Planet report on 15:23 - Sep 17 with 640 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The Living Planet report on 22:40 - Sep 16 by Scotia

AFD breaking his own record there.

Even his first sentence is wrong.

You mean warm September & Octobers are not called indian summers?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_summer
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024