Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gleision Mine Disaster Anniversary 20:53 - Sep 15 with 658 viewsFlashberryjack

GLEISION MINE DISASTER
Gleision Colliery is a small drift mine in the Swansea Valley and
On 15 September 2011, became the location of the worst mining disaster to occur in Wales for three decades (that the UK has not had a major mining disaster in some years is due largely to the closure of most of its pits).

The accident occurred while seven miners were working a narrow coal seam. Following an initial blast, the adit began to fill with water. Three of the miners escaped, with one being taken to hospital with life threatening injuries, while the others were trapped underground. A search and rescue operation was launched to locate the four remaining miners, but they were sadly found dead the following day.

It is thought that the flood was caused by waters entering the mine from an old excavation.

R.I.P
The bodies of Charles Breslin, 62, David Powell, 50, Garry Jenkins, 39, and Phillip Hill, 45, who all lived locally, were discovered on Friday. Prime Minister David Cameron said it was a "desperately sad situation". The bodies of all four men have been recovered.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Gleision Mine Disaster Anniversary on 22:34 - Sep 15 with 623 viewsTreforys_Jack

I've had 2 close relatives die is mining accidents, and have worked underground myself, horrible way to go. Miners - total different breed.
Gleision Mine Disaster Anniversary on 22:49 - Sep 15 with 614 viewsKerouac

Horrible way to go.
R.I.P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024