Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack 17:49 - Nov 14 with 1457 viewsGwyn737

Is this story accurate FJ, or is it being blown up?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54908129
[Post edited 14 Nov 2020 17:57]
F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 10:04 - Nov 15 with 1373 viewsfelixstowe_jack

I think there is an element of exaggeration by the BBC. From about March to July there was a 30% drop in ships and containers arriving at the port. From August onwards suppliers started running out of stocks of goods in the UK and started ordering them again from China. With a couple of months lead time in producing the goods and transporting them from China There are now more container ship trying to dock at Felixstowe than there are berths for ships. There are several waiting offshore waiting for berths. The same is true at tilbury.

No great problems at dock gates as lorries have to arrange a slot to load and unload. The highway agency have not put into operation operation stack, which is implemented when too many lorries arrived at the port or when high winds stop the cranes from operating. Container train continuing as normal two an hour go past my house every hour from the south terminal.

Mind you that may change as today it is pouring down and very windy.

You can view all shipping using marine traffic app. Rotterdam seems to be having the same problem.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2020 10:05]

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 10:32 - Nov 15 with 1359 viewsGwyn737

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 10:04 - Nov 15 by felixstowe_jack

I think there is an element of exaggeration by the BBC. From about March to July there was a 30% drop in ships and containers arriving at the port. From August onwards suppliers started running out of stocks of goods in the UK and started ordering them again from China. With a couple of months lead time in producing the goods and transporting them from China There are now more container ship trying to dock at Felixstowe than there are berths for ships. There are several waiting offshore waiting for berths. The same is true at tilbury.

No great problems at dock gates as lorries have to arrange a slot to load and unload. The highway agency have not put into operation operation stack, which is implemented when too many lorries arrived at the port or when high winds stop the cranes from operating. Container train continuing as normal two an hour go past my house every hour from the south terminal.

Mind you that may change as today it is pouring down and very windy.

You can view all shipping using marine traffic app. Rotterdam seems to be having the same problem.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2020 10:05]

Ta. I couldn’t work out from the story what they were trying to get at as the main cause.

Sounds from you like a combination of things at the same time.
F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 10:50 - Nov 15 with 1347 viewsfelixstowe_jack

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 10:32 - Nov 15 by Gwyn737

Ta. I couldn’t work out from the story what they were trying to get at as the main cause.

Port of Felixstowe Operational Update

The Port of Felixstowe, like other major container ports worldwide, is still experiencing a spike in container volumes and dealing with the consequences of the ongoing Covid pandemic. The current high volumes will last at least into December and possibly through into the New Year but we are working hard to minimise the impact on daily operations and to maintain vital supply chains. The latest update on the current situation is as follows:

The port is fully operational. In the week to 08.11.2020 we handled 76,609 TEU across the quay, 18,673 TEU to/from rail, and 29,080 containers to/from road vehicles

95% of import containers are available for collection within 10 minutes of discharge from the vessel

104 additional equipment drivers are being recruited and trained. We are working to continue recruitment through the latest lockdown announced by the Prime Minister

Onsite private Covid testing continues for the benefit of employees and household members but which also maximises labour availability

Both container terminals are now open on Sundays for road collections/deliveries. Shipside operations remain 24/7

Each shipping line has an agreed empty storage capacity. The receipt of empty containers is managed on a line-by-line basis. If a line exceeds its empty storage capacity receipt of empty containers for that line are temporarily suspended until sufficient empties are removed. Empty containers are currently being received for 90% of customers

In the week to 08.11.2020, there were 4,563 VBS slots available every weekday

In the week to 08.11.2020 a total of 26,448 VBS bookings were available of which 6,812 went unused (2,488 at Trinity, 4,324 at Berths 8&9). More information is available here.

There are fewer VBS bookings 06:00-07:00 and 18:00-19:00 in order to clean machinery at shift changeover. The protection of our employees and port users remains our No.1 priority

In the week to 08.11.2020, the average turnaround times for hauliers were 45.24 minutes at Trinity Terminal and 44.27 minutes at Berths 8&9

All it caused by the coranavirus which led to far less shipping in spring and Summer, now everybody trying to restock and the usual Christmas orders.

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 14:23 - Nov 15 with 1317 viewsNortbankboy

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 10:32 - Nov 15 by Gwyn737

farage garage!
F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 14:24 - Nov 15 with 1311 viewsfelixstowe_jack

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 14:23 - Nov 15 by Nortbankboy

farage garage!

All it caused by the coranavirus which led to far less shipping in spring and Summer, now everybody trying to restock and the usual Christmas orders.

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 22:50 - Nov 15 with 1271 viewsNortbankboy

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 14:24 - Nov 15 by felixstowe_jack

Open your eyes sais
F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 08:15 - Nov 16 with 1224 viewsfelixstowe_jack

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 22:50 - Nov 15 by Nortbankboy

Open your eyes sais

Open you eyes to what?

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 10:06 - Nov 16 with 1209 viewsonehunglow

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 08:15 - Nov 16 by felixstowe_jack

Open you eyes to what?

Think he's using sais as a perjorative there.

Friendly and welcoming us Welsh aren't we.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Login to get fewer ads

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 10:34 - Nov 16 with 1199 viewsfelixstowe_jack

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 10:06 - Nov 16 by onehunglow

Think he's using sais as a perjorative there.

Friendly and welcoming us Welsh aren't we.

I think he is being insulting calling me an Englishman as I was born in Stouthall, Reynoldston which was one of Swansea's maternity hospitals.

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 10:47 - Nov 16 with 1190 viewsonehunglow

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 10:34 - Nov 16 by felixstowe_jack

I think he is being insulting calling me an Englishman as I was born in Stouthall, Reynoldston which was one of Swansea's maternity hospitals.

My God.So was I.On a cold snowy Saturday morning in 1950 to Welsh parents too.

I was allowed to mix freely with other peoples of all nationalities and they didn't hold me back.

Ive married 2 English women and have English born children and grandchildren. I suppose I'm grateful to be allowed on here really.

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 11:00 - Nov 16 with 1189 viewschad

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 22:50 - Nov 15 by Nortbankboy

Open your eyes sais

Grow up NB boy
F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack (n/t) on 11:07 - Nov 16 with 1184 viewsfelixstowe_jack

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 10:47 - Nov 16 by onehunglow

I was allowed to mix freely with other peoples of all nationalities and they didn't hold me back.

Ive married 2 English women and have English born children and grandchildren. I suppose I'm grateful to be allowed on here really.

[Post edited 16 Nov 2020 11:07]

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 12:05 - Nov 16 with 1159 viewstrampie

I know of someone a pensioner who by chance had bumped into someone she had not seen since their school days, the old friend said she was living in England and had married an Englishman the pensioner said " I'm sorry to hear that", nobody batted an eyelid, lol.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 18:02 - Nov 16 with 1118 viewstrampie

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 10:47 - Nov 16 by onehunglow

I hope nothing untoward happened to Mrs Perch #1 ?

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 18:05 - Nov 16 with 1115 viewsonehunglow

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 18:02 - Nov 16 by trampie

I hope nothing untoward happened to Mrs Perch #1 ?

Nah,matey.Just 5 yrs of my life wasted but ended in nice clean divorce after which I married a fantastic (english) woman of whom I am still crazy about.

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 18:10 - Nov 16 with 1108 viewstrampie

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 18:05 - Nov 16 by onehunglow

Nah,matey.Just 5 yrs of my life wasted but ended in nice clean divorce after which I married a fantastic (english) woman of whom I am still crazy about.

Good for you.

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 18:16 - Nov 16 with 1102 viewstrampie

Perch on a different topic how far East of the Dee does the current Welsh border go ?, isn't Shotton steelworks East of the Dee but still in Wales ?.

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 18:19 - Nov 16 with 1096 viewsonehunglow

Diolch.

I was lucky. Many are trapped in a bad marriage. It is always best to get out a unscathed as possible.

I had moved up from Swansea to give it another go but it was a dumb idea.

Before I had a chance to analyse whether or not to return to Swansea,I met my current wife in a bar in New Brighton and that was that. I stayed .

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 18:31 - Nov 16 with 1082 viewstrampie

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 18:16 - Nov 16 by trampie

Perch on a different topic how far East of the Dee does the current Welsh border go ?, isn't Shotton steelworks East of the Dee but still in Wales ?.

Chester's football ground is in Wales isn't it ? (apart from the bogs and car park - one has to laugh).

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 18:33 - Nov 16 with 1079 viewsonehunglow

Part of it is,if I recall.Not the main entrance though.It s not a ground I want to see my team play ever again though

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 18:36 - Nov 16 with 1069 viewstrampie

F.A.O. Felixstowe Jack on 18:33 - Nov 16 by onehunglow

Part of it is,if I recall.Not the main entrance though.It s not a ground I want to see my team play ever again though

All of the pitch is in Wales, just part of one stand in England, eg the bogs and car park - I'm sure there is a song in there somewhere, lol.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024