Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Inflamatory Journalism 14:56 - Jul 1 with 1123 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

As a remain voter with friends who are of settled status I find this type of headline and journalism distasteful. Some left wing journalists are guilty of the behaviour they complain about in others.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/01/britain-eu-settlement-sche
[Post edited 1 Jul 2021 14:57]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Inflamatory Journalism on 17:33 - Jul 1 with 1060 viewsDr_Winston

True.

150,000 people have had two years to apply for settled status and not done so. That's not the Government's fault.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Inflamatory Journalism on 17:41 - Jul 1 with 1060 viewsCatullus

It's how the press always behaves, whoever is in power, the press from the other wing find any reason to have a go. It could easily turn out there's truth in this anyway. I have no doubt we will learn hundreds, maybe thousands have been left behind and find the,selves in immigration limbo. When/if that happens, leys hope the government deals with them fairly and we don't have another Windrush type debacle on our hands though I look at the people in charge and can't help but be cynical!

"We wanted workers but got neighbours" that line is very true, I became friendly with some lovely people from Poland, Lithuania, Ghana and South Africa. Our Polish friends returned to their country and we do miss them. Been invited over but covid so who knows when, if ever, we'll go now.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Inflamatory Journalism on 18:02 - Jul 1 with 1042 views73__73

If Brexit UK is such a bad place, how come 5.6 million eu citizens want to remain here ?

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

Inflamatory Journalism on 18:31 - Jul 1 with 1021 viewsCatullus

Inflamatory Journalism on 18:02 - Jul 1 by 73__73

If Brexit UK is such a bad place, how come 5.6 million eu citizens want to remain here ?

Obviously because they're xenophobic, racists like us leave voters! Hang on

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Inflamatory Journalism on 19:32 - Jul 1 with 992 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Inflamatory Journalism on 18:02 - Jul 1 by 73__73

More than the population of Scotland. It's interesting when you put the facts before the political narrative

Inflamatory Journalism on 19:52 - Jul 1 with 976 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Another needless divisive headline, whilst she makes some good points about poor pensioners, the state pension in the UK is very poor compared to similar economies, where there is scope to do things differently is to reduce the tax benefits on contributions which favour high earners and to adjust the life time allowance.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/01/pension-triple-lock-uk-you
[Post edited 1 Jul 2021 20:00]

Inflamatory Journalism on 00:53 - Jul 2 with 937 viewsmajorraglan

Inflamatory Journalism on 19:52 - Jul 1 by JACKMANANDBOY

Another needless divisive headline, whilst she makes some good points about poor pensioners, the state pension in the UK is very poor compared to similar economies, where there is scope to do things differently is to reduce the tax benefits on contributions which favour high earners and to adjust the life time allowance.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/01/pension-triple-lock-uk-you
[Post edited 1 Jul 2021 20:00]

Totally agree with you. The Chancellor is looking at the lifetime allowance for pensions and there is serious talk that’s it’s going to come down from a million to a figure of potentially £800,000. The government has to be very careful with pensions and encouraging people to save, if it doesn’t incentivise pensions etc, people won’t prepared for that rainy day and they will just rely on the State.

The Guardian is world renowned for the quality of its journalism, but there are times I believe it’s wide of the mark with some of its reporting and that it leaves itself down. Whilst they may be some exceptional cases which need to be considered beyond the window, my take is that if 150,000 people can’t be bothered to apply it’s a case of toughski and they run the risk of being deported as some EU countries are doing.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2021 22:59]
Inflamatory Journalism on 09:10 - Jul 2 with 889 viewsCatullus

Inflamatory Journalism on 00:53 - Jul 2 by majorraglan

Totally agree with you. The Chancellor is looking at the lifetime allowance for pensions and there is serious talk that’s it’s going to come down from a million to a figure of potentially £800,000. The government has to be very careful with pensions and encouraging people to save, if it doesn’t incentivise pensions etc, people won’t prepared for that rainy day and they will just rely on the State.

The Guardian is world renowned for the quality of its journalism, but there are times I believe it’s wide of the mark with some of its reporting and that it leaves itself down. Whilst they may be some exceptional cases which need to be considered beyond the window, my take is that if 150,000 people can’t be bothered to apply it’s a case of toughski and they run the risk of being deported as some EU countries are doing.

I've come to regard you one of, if not the most balanced and sensible poster on here and I agree with every word in that post.

I think that maybe the high earners need to be made to pay more into the pension pot while lowearners have their rate cut a bit. For example, Premier league footballers can maybe afford to pay an extra 3/4% but those on minimum wage need every penny. Even so, those on low wages need encouragement to save more.

Those 150k who haven't applied, surely nobody can claim they don't know? It's been regularly reported on tv. There will always be some who do nothing and then moan about it later, been there, done that myself! And while 150k seems like a very large number, it's nothing compared to the 5.6 million who have applied,it's less than 3%.

Login to get fewer ads

Inflamatory Journalism on 09:32 - Jul 2 with 879 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Inflamatory Journalism on 00:53 - Jul 2 by majorraglan

An £800,000 LTA would also work applied to public sector pensions effectively limiting the taxpayer funding of pensions to £40K a year which seems fair, those with higher wages can invest elsewhere if they want a retirement income above £40K.

Inflamatory Journalism on 10:42 - Jul 2 with 863 viewsCatullus

Inflamatory Journalism on 09:32 - Jul 2 by JACKMANANDBOY

An £800,000 LTA would also work applied to public sector pensions effectively limiting the taxpayer funding of pensions to £40K a year which seems fair, those with higher wages can invest elsewhere if they want a retirement income above £40K.

That's a good point, why should public pension be so high? Shouldn't all public pensions be the same and those higher earners, the politicians and top civil servants, surgeons and CEO's etc be told they can invest the rest themselves for that better retirement.

Level the system out and tell those higher earners they are free to save for themselves. Right now they have it all ways, good wages, gold plated pensions and benefits, they get caviar while the rest of us get baked beans and maybe that needs to change, make peoplepersonally responsible.

Inflamatory Journalism on 14:34 - Jul 2 with 844 viewsRonaldStump

I came over on a dinghy from calais in Feb 2004 by march 2005 I was a citizen and housed in croydon before being shipped to Swansea the following month.
I wouldn't want to be anywhere else and love it here, I always support the football teams in the euro's and world cup unless they played pakistan but that is never going to happen.

(He She Him)

Inflamatory Journalism on 22:19 - Jul 2 with 792 viewsDJack

Inflamatory Journalism on 14:34 - Jul 2 by RonaldStump

I came over on a dinghy from calais in Feb 2004 by march 2005 I was a citizen and housed in croydon before being shipped to Swansea the following month.
I wouldn't want to be anywhere else and love it here, I always support the football teams in the euro's and world cup unless they played pakistan but that is never going to happen.

And that is as accurate as any of your other statements...

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Inflamatory Journalism on 22:51 - Jul 2 with 780 viewsExiledJack

Inflamatory Journalism on 09:32 - Jul 2 by JACKMANANDBOY

Reducing the LTA is the simplest change with the least unintended consequences. One point to note however is the discrepancy between final salary pensions and defined contribution pensions in relation to LTA. For £800,000, you would only get roughly £20k a year from defined contribution savings if you purchased an inflation linked annuity at 65 with spousal benefits. With state pension on top, that seems a reasonable income in retirement to me, but I’d be cautious about lowering it further.

The second point to make is that some people have very little pension savings and only earn high wages for a few years in their career, and really need to save as much as possible during those years. A change to LTA is far better for them than a more direct change to tax relief on contributions. Another more equitable way to “raise funds” would be to charge national insurance on pension income the same as earned income.
Inflamatory Journalism on 10:31 - Jul 3 with 722 viewscontroversial_jack

Inflamatory Journalism on 22:51 - Jul 2 by ExiledJack

Reducing the LTA is the simplest change with the least unintended consequences. One point to note however is the discrepancy between final salary pensions and defined contribution pensions in relation to LTA. For £800,000, you would only get roughly £20k a year from defined contribution savings if you purchased an inflation linked annuity at 65 with spousal benefits. With state pension on top, that seems a reasonable income in retirement to me, but I’d be cautious about lowering it further.

The second point to make is that some people have very little pension savings and only earn high wages for a few years in their career, and really need to save as much as possible during those years. A change to LTA is far better for them than a more direct change to tax relief on contributions. Another more equitable way to “raise funds” would be to charge national insurance on pension income the same as earned income.

Isn't this the idea of journalism though? To create a response, to to promote thinking outside the box, to create discussion and opinion
Inflamatory Journalism on 11:58 - Jul 3 with 707 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Inflamatory Journalism on 10:31 - Jul 3 by controversial_jack

Isn't this the idea of journalism though? To create a response, to to promote thinking outside the box, to create discussion and opinion

Depends on the type of journalism, the purpose can also to be to inform and or educate for example. The issue here is that the journalist, who does not understand the issue fully, suggests it is a case of one generation against another rather than do some basic research.

Inflamatory Journalism on 23:41 - Jul 3 with 623 viewscontroversial_jack

Inflamatory Journalism on 11:58 - Jul 3 by JACKMANANDBOY

Depends on the type of journalism, the purpose can also to be to inform and or educate for example. The issue here is that the journalist, who does not understand the issue fully, suggests it is a case of one generation against another rather than do some basic research.

There is a difference between a journalist and a reporter. Investigative journos are a different breed. Unfortunately, there aren't many good ones around
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024