Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Here’s a proper legend 21:14 - Dec 1 with 576 viewsKeithHaynes

George 'Johnny' Johnson, at his home in Bristol in 2017 (Picture: PA Images/Alamy).

Belated Happy Birthday.

The last surviving British Dambuster from the daring Second World War raid has celebrated his 100th birthday today. Veteran Squadron Leader George 'Johnny' Johnson was a bomb-aimer during the 1943 attack on German dams.
At just 22, he was responsible for dropping specially-adapted bombs in Germany's Ruhr Valley, the country's industrial heartland.

The raid targeted the valley's dams, releasing huge quantities of water into areas used by Germany for war production. Tributes have poured in to celebrate the Dambuster's birthday. Former RAF Tornado navigator John Nichol, who came to the world's attention as a prisoner during the First Gulf War was eager to mention how "humble, delightful" and "generous" Mr Johnson is. In a tweet, he said: "You could not hope to meet a more humble, delightful, generous man. "He is of the generation who thought of others before themselves. Heroes all."

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Here’s a proper legend on 21:43 - Dec 1 with 537 viewsBoundy

So true his kind the like I doubt we'll see again , not just the Dambuster raid but night after night raid after raid and still they went knowing that with a 44.4 percent death rate in high probability they would die

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Here’s a proper legend on 21:56 - Dec 1 with 517 viewsmajorraglan

Had the privilege and honour of meeting a guy who was a WWII veteran the other day, he was late 90s and a very decent bloke who flew Spitfires, Hurricanes and Bombers in the Second World War. I was able to doff my cap and tell him how grateful I was for his and his colleagues endeavours.
Here’s a proper legend on 01:23 - Dec 2 with 445 viewsTreforys_Jack

I did a "battlefield" tour of Normandy a few years ago and there was a D-Day veteran in the party, seeing the way the French received him was both humbling and beautiful.
Here’s a proper legend on 11:58 - Dec 2 with 373 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Here’s a proper legend on 01:23 - Dec 2 by Treforys_Jack

I did a "battlefield" tour of Normandy a few years ago and there was a D-Day veteran in the party, seeing the way the French received him was both humbling and beautiful.

A couple of years ago I was in Normandy for early June. The celebrations were fantastic in every town and village.

I went to the service at Angoville-au-Plain, this included a paratroop drop using 1940s planes and equipment. The village dressed up in 1940s fashions and there was really moving service involving verterans from all sides.

https://wanderwisdom.com/travel-destinations/Amazing-Untold-D-Day-Story

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Here’s a proper legend on 17:41 - Dec 2 with 330 viewsTreforys_Jack

Here’s a proper legend on 11:58 - Dec 2 by JACKMANANDBOY

A couple of years ago I was in Normandy for early June. The celebrations were fantastic in every town and village.

I went to the service at Angoville-au-Plain, this included a paratroop drop using 1940s planes and equipment. The village dressed up in 1940s fashions and there was really moving service involving verterans from all sides.

https://wanderwisdom.com/travel-destinations/Amazing-Untold-D-Day-Story

Sounds awesome fair play.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024