Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keg beer 23:08 - Jan 13 with 1087 viewsmax936

Anyone use them or have used them?

I've a Perfect Draft machine, but thought I'd try a different type tonight as Perfect Draft kegs can be a tad gassy, had a delivery today of one 5ltr keg from a brewery I like, but its as flat as a witches tit and although its passable its not one I'd buy again.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Keg beer on 23:47 - Jan 13 with 1059 viewsmax936

Bloody hell, its a forum full of church goers an tee total's here then, I feel like a lost cause now

Keg beer on 12:04 - Jan 14 with 1004 viewsbuilthjack

Never tried them. Rarely drink these days.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Keg beer on 13:50 - Jan 14 with 992 viewsmax936

Keg beer on 12:04 - Jan 14 by builthjack

That's your fault for spilling it

Keg beer on 13:55 - Jan 14 with 989 viewsmax936

Keg beer on 12:04 - Jan 14 by builthjack

I saw an advert for Butcombe beer, so give their Butcombe gold keg a try used to enjoy it on the cask when Ale House was open, but its poor in those kegs, actual keg is a pain in itself, cause value on top that lets air in is in two parts and bottom half was stuck so I had to manually release it, otherwise the beer wouldn't flow out the inbuilt tap and beer is as flat as a witches tit,

Keg beer on 14:03 - Jan 14 with 983 viewsDr_Winston

Don't those things work out at nearly three times the price per 500ml than bottled beer?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Keg beer on 16:42 - Jan 14 with 959 viewsMrSwerve

Keg beer on 14:03 - Jan 14 by Dr_Winston

Don't those things work out at nearly three times the price per 500ml than bottled beer?

Yeah but think how trendy and edgy you could look pulling a pint for yourself all alone in your kitchen?

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Keg beer on 16:48 - Jan 14 with 957 viewsDr_Winston

Keg beer on 16:42 - Jan 14 by MrSwerve

Yeah but think how trendy and edgy you could look pulling a pint for yourself all alone in your kitchen?

Considerably more trendy and edgy looking than I do nipping out the back in the cold to the keg of homebrew stout I've got out there (which works out at about £1 a pint).

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Keg beer on 16:55 - Jan 14 with 951 viewsmax936

Keg beer on 14:03 - Jan 14 by Dr_Winston

Perfect Draught kegs average over 3 half / 4 quid a pint they are 6ltrs, this Butcombe keg was just under 20 notes for 5ltrs, it seems a better beer today got more taste its strange cause I sense the same with the perfect draft kegs as well.

Login to get fewer ads

Keg beer on 17:36 - Jan 14 with 940 viewsDr_Winston

Keg beer on 16:55 - Jan 14 by max936

Perfect Draught kegs average over 3 half / 4 quid a pint they are 6ltrs, this Butcombe keg was just under 20 notes for 5ltrs, it seems a better beer today got more taste its strange cause I sense the same with the perfect draft kegs as well.

Those volumes seem mad to me. Most kits I make I do to 20ltr. Sure, there's a bit more work involved but the ingredients rarely come to more than thirty bucks. Assuming a bit of waste at the bottom you're getting at least 30 pints out of that.

Keg beer on 17:43 - Jan 14 with 934 viewsmax936

Keg beer on 17:36 - Jan 14 by Dr_Winston

Those volumes seem mad to me. Most kits I make I do to 20ltr. Sure, there's a bit more work involved but the ingredients rarely come to more than thirty bucks. Assuming a bit of waste at the bottom you're getting at least 30 pints out of that.

How's the taste ? have you tried making IPA's and or Pale Ales?

Keg beer on 17:45 - Jan 14 with 932 viewsmax936

Keg beer on 16:42 - Jan 14 by MrSwerve

Never thought of that, never been edgy or trendy before, its come a bit late in life, but I'll take it Thanks
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 17:45]

Keg beer on 17:55 - Jan 14 with 926 viewsDr_Winston

Keg beer on 17:43 - Jan 14 by max936

How's the taste ? have you tried making IPA's and or Pale Ales?

I've never done an IPA as I'm not generally a huge fan of them.

done Cervezas, Imperial Red Ales, a couple of ciders, a Belgian Dubbel once (that was something like 7.5%) and quite a few others. Homebrew won't taste quite the same as a draught because you don't have the same filtration (draught beer is filtered and re-gassed later, a homebrew will generally have a slight yeasty tang) but as long as you're not doing a cheap kit they've very drinkable.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 18:03]

Keg beer on 18:21 - Jan 14 with 912 viewsmax936

Keg beer on 17:55 - Jan 14 by Dr_Winston

I've never done an IPA as I'm not generally a huge fan of them.

done Cervezas, Imperial Red Ales, a couple of ciders, a Belgian Dubbel once (that was something like 7.5%) and quite a few others. Homebrew won't taste quite the same as a draught because you don't have the same filtration (draught beer is filtered and re-gassed later, a homebrew will generally have a slight yeasty tang) but as long as you're not doing a cheap kit they've very drinkable.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 18:03]

Cheers Doc often thought about trying brewing my own, but not sure how much knowledge and gear is involved to be honest,

Because of my circumstances at home that's what prompted me to purchase the Machine I've enjoyed most of the kegs, but much prefer the real ale cask beers.
IPA's and the Pale Ales, some have been hit and miss though.

Keg beer on 21:45 - Jan 14 with 874 viewsDr_Winston

Keg beer on 18:21 - Jan 14 by max936

Cheers Doc often thought about trying brewing my own, but not sure how much knowledge and gear is involved to be honest,

Because of my circumstances at home that's what prompted me to purchase the Machine I've enjoyed most of the kegs, but much prefer the real ale cask beers.
IPA's and the Pale Ales, some have been hit and miss though.

The kit you need will potentially set you back about about £40, depending on whether you want to use a barrel or bottles.

Mainly you'll need a 23l bucket and a Syphon tube. If you've got a stash of Grolsh bottles then you could do it for less than £20.

Beer kits run from less than £15 to £30. I'd recommend the "two tin" kits. If it's a one tin kit then use spray malt instead of sugar.

Keg beer on 16:39 - Jan 15 with 821 viewsCountyJim

I always thought you carried a keg around with you Steve
Keg beer on 16:50 - Jan 15 with 811 viewsmax936

Keg beer on 16:39 - Jan 15 by CountyJim

I always thought you carried a keg around with you Steve

You always got a barrel with you, that can clearly be seen

Keg beer on 19:01 - Jan 15 with 797 viewsbuilthjack

Keg beer on 21:45 - Jan 14 by Dr_Winston

The kit you need will potentially set you back about about £40, depending on whether you want to use a barrel or bottles.

Mainly you'll need a 23l bucket and a Syphon tube. If you've got a stash of Grolsh bottles then you could do it for less than £20.

Beer kits run from less than £15 to £30. I'd recommend the "two tin" kits. If it's a one tin kit then use spray malt instead of sugar.

Never made it but will do soon.
How long does it take and what shelf life once made?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Keg beer on 19:30 - Jan 15 with 790 viewsDr_Winston

Keg beer on 19:01 - Jan 15 by builthjack

Never made it but will do soon.
How long does it take and what shelf life once made?

5-7 days for initial fermentation in the bucket (depending upon temperature) another 7-10 days once in the keg for conditioning, then probably another 10 days or so somewhere cold to settle. Call it a month overall. Don't really bother with bottles as it's a load of extra work.

Shelf life again depends on temperature. At least 3-4 months in most cases. I tend to do one beer per Winter which I keep outside, then probably a couple more ciders or lagers in the Summer for outdoors refreshment. My cellar is at the same level as my patio so I have a fridge down there big enough to put a keg in.

Keg beer on 20:56 - Jan 15 with 770 viewsmax936

Keg beer on 19:30 - Jan 15 by Dr_Winston

5-7 days for initial fermentation in the bucket (depending upon temperature) another 7-10 days once in the keg for conditioning, then probably another 10 days or so somewhere cold to settle. Call it a month overall. Don't really bother with bottles as it's a load of extra work.

Shelf life again depends on temperature. At least 3-4 months in most cases. I tend to do one beer per Winter which I keep outside, then probably a couple more ciders or lagers in the Summer for outdoors refreshment. My cellar is at the same level as my patio so I have a fridge down there big enough to put a keg in.

Do you find that the beer is flat? I was disappointed with the Butcombe Gold keg when I first opened it and tested 3/4 pints of it, yet when I had a couple last night I thought it was better didn't seem so bland as it did on Friday, might have been because I tried it after food and a glass of red.

I bought some bottled IPA ales from them as well, they are nice.

Keg beer on 21:07 - Jan 15 with 766 viewsDr_Winston

Keg beer on 20:56 - Jan 15 by max936

Do you find that the beer is flat? I was disappointed with the Butcombe Gold keg when I first opened it and tested 3/4 pints of it, yet when I had a couple last night I thought it was better didn't seem so bland as it did on Friday, might have been because I tried it after food and a glass of red.

I bought some bottled IPA ales from them as well, they are nice.

Not really. Most kegs will need gassing now and again if they're properly sealed.

Keg beer on 21:47 - Jan 15 with 756 viewsbuilthjack

Keg beer on 19:30 - Jan 15 by Dr_Winston

Thank you. Will do some towards Summer.

Keg beer on 22:54 - Jan 16 with 699 viewsEagleEye

Keg beer on 13:55 - Jan 14 by max936

I saw an advert for Butcombe beer, so give their Butcombe gold keg a try used to enjoy it on the cask when Ale House was open, but its poor in those kegs, actual keg is a pain in itself, cause value on top that lets air in is in two parts and bottom half was stuck so I had to manually release it, otherwise the beer wouldn't flow out the inbuilt tap and beer is as flat as a witches tit,

The Ale House has re-opened in a new location; now located on the main road in Mumbles opposite the park at southend
Keg beer on 22:57 - Jan 16 with 697 viewsmax936

Keg beer on 22:54 - Jan 16 by EagleEye

The Ale House has re-opened in a new location; now located on the main road in Mumbles opposite the park at southend

I know Ty Cwrw. next door down to the Carlton.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024