Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Managing our mental health 18:15 - Feb 6 with 29364 viewsKeithHaynes

This works. We shouldn’t forget our responsibilities to ourselves.

1. Value yourself:
Treat yourself with kindness and respect, and avoid self-criticism. Make time for your hobbies and favorite projects, or broaden your horizons. Do a daily crossword puzzle, plant a garden, take dance lessons, learn to play an instrument or become fluent in another language.

2. Take care of your body:
Taking care of yourself physically can improve your mental health. Be sure to:
Eat nutritious meals
Avoid smoking and vaping-- see Cessation Help
Drink plenty of water
Exercise, which helps decrease depression and anxiety and improve moods
Get enough sleep. Researchers believe that lack of sleep contributes to a high rate of depression in people.

3. Surround yourself with good people:
People with strong family or social connections are generally healthier than those who lack a support network. Make plans with supportive family members and friends, or seek out activities where you can meet new people, such as a club, class or support group.

4. Give yourself:
Volunteer your time and energy to help someone else. You'll feel good about doing something tangible to help someone in need – and it's a great way to meet new people.

5. Learn how to deal with stress:
Like it or not, stress is a part of life. Practice good coping skills: Try One-Minute Stress Strategies, do Tai Chi, exercise, take a nature walk, play with your pet or try journal writing as a stress reducer. Also, remember to smile and see the humor in life. Research shows that laughter can boost your immune system, ease pain, relax your body and reduce stress.

6. Quiet your mind:
Try meditating, Mindfulness and/or prayer. Relaxation exercises and prayer can improve your state of mind and outlook on life. In fact, research shows that meditation may help you feel calm and enhance the effects of therapy.

7. Set realistic goals:
Decide what you want to achieve academically, professionally and personally, and write down the steps you need to realize your goals. Aim high, but be realistic and don't over-schedule. You'll enjoy a tremendous sense of accomplishment and self-worth as you progress toward your goal.

8. Break up the monotony:
Although our routines make us more efficient and enhance our feelings of security and safety, a little change of pace can perk up a tedious schedule. Alter your jogging route, plan a road-trip, take a walk in a different park, hang some new pictures or try a new restaurant.

9. Avoid alcohol and other drugs:
Keep alcohol use to a minimum and avoid other drugs. Sometimes people use alcohol and other drugs to "self-medicate" but in reality, alcohol and other drugs only aggravate problems.

10. Get help when you need it:
Seeking help is a sign of strength – not a weakness. And it is important to remember that treatment is effective. People who get appropriate care can recover from mental illness and addiction and lead full, rewarding lives.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Managing our mental health on 11:24 - Aug 27 with 1977 viewsonehunglow

Trample.
Trust me on this.
You need to read and then reread what fireboy has posted and reflect.
That means sitting down somewhere on the banks of your local stream ,gazing into the shimmering waters and thinking why he posted that .
Cutting down a hanging body from a garage beam kinda gives you a different perspective as you investigate as to why somebody would go through the not inconsiderable process of slipping a rope around the neck whilst on a ladder then kicking it away to slowly ebb away as is sometimes the case.
Sometimes they dint get it right though ,then the mental health issue comes in .

Meddyliau

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Managing our mental health on 23:22 - Aug 29 with 1869 viewstrampie

Managing our mental health on 20:13 - Aug 26 by Fireboy2

What a fvcking tit you are.

You literally have no idea of what people with mental health problems go through.

There is a right way and I should fvcking know, its to talk about your problems, get them out to people are prepared to listen.

You obviously don't have any problems as if you did and used your methods you would be six feet under.

Did you read my 18:10 - Aug 21 and 13:21 - Aug 22 posts ?

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Managing our mental health on 14:06 - Sep 1 with 1786 viewstrampie

Fireboy do you think somebody basically orphaned at a young age (but old enough to miss their parents terribly) that saw terrible suffering, that had no brothers or sisters had it easy ?, the effect on schooling which can then effect job market opportunities, nobody to take them to football (when that person was the junior school centre forward and the best player at that time played in that position).
Do you think that person had it easy ?, don't you think that person might have a valid view of how to deal with 'mental health' ?

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Managing our mental health on 17:19 - Sep 1 with 1777 viewsSullutaCreturned

Managing our mental health on 14:06 - Sep 1 by trampie

Fireboy do you think somebody basically orphaned at a young age (but old enough to miss their parents terribly) that saw terrible suffering, that had no brothers or sisters had it easy ?, the effect on schooling which can then effect job market opportunities, nobody to take them to football (when that person was the junior school centre forward and the best player at that time played in that position).
Do you think that person had it easy ?, don't you think that person might have a valid view of how to deal with 'mental health' ?

That very much depends on the kind of person they turned into. If their mental health isn't good then maybe no.

They may not even realise their mental health isn't good.

We are all different though.
Managing our mental health on 17:50 - Sep 1 with 1749 viewstrampie

Managing our mental health on 17:19 - Sep 1 by SullutaCreturned

That very much depends on the kind of person they turned into. If their mental health isn't good then maybe no.

They may not even realise their mental health isn't good.

We are all different though.

Turned into a well respected valued member of society with excellent mental health considering the bad hand in many ways dealt out and he dealt with it as much as possible by burying his head in the sand method, he has had it much rougher than most so his view on this matter is relevant and should be listened too.

Managing our mental health on 15:34 - Sep 2 with 1711 viewsSullutaCreturned

Managing our mental health on 17:50 - Sep 1 by trampie

Turned into a well respected valued member of society with excellent mental health considering the bad hand in many ways dealt out and he dealt with it as much as possible by burying his head in the sand method, he has had it much rougher than most so his view on this matter is relevant and should be listened too.

If you're talking about yourself then it's impossible to tell because, who on here knows you personally to vouch for that?

Besides which, burying your head in the sand doesn't mean that mental health issues won't pop up sooner or later.

You deal with your problems, you don't hide from them.
Managing our mental health on 21:07 - Sep 2 with 1681 viewstrampie

Managing our mental health on 15:34 - Sep 2 by SullutaCreturned

If you're talking about yourself then it's impossible to tell because, who on here knows you personally to vouch for that?

Besides which, burying your head in the sand doesn't mean that mental health issues won't pop up sooner or later.

You deal with your problems, you don't hide from them.

Processing things then putting them to one side (and not constantly dwelling on things for years and even decades) is dealing with it, that is the point.

Managing our mental health on 00:59 - Sep 3 with 1673 viewsRobbie

Growing up on a large Council Estate , neighbours were my go to escape as from my tantrums and sulking , not getting my own way also , parents knew were I was safe .

Now so many people move to new enviroments , away from home be it work related or other reasons , issues crop up , who do they confide into , an uninterested work mate .

This is not the root cause of todays problem , cannot answer that .

Now semi retied and working in retail , talk to some of customers , have a laugh and a joke with them , they get involvled in some fun , some have not spoken to anybody for days .
Login to get fewer ads

Managing our mental health on 11:15 - Sep 4 with 1608 viewsFireboy2

Managing our mental health on 21:07 - Sep 2 by trampie

Processing things then putting them to one side (and not constantly dwelling on things for years and even decades) is dealing with it, that is the point.

Just recently a firefighter I know committed suicide, he was a great firefighter and a even greater man, he obviously had problems that as you say he stored up but never dealt with.

He had been retired for almost 5 years, whilst in the job he could have a laugh and forget his problems, put them aside but after retiring he lost that outlet, yes he saw people he worked with but it wasn't enough and he was too proud to get help.

What I am saying is that storing it up in a little room at the back of your swede isn't good, eventually it will show itself and if you don't meet it head on it can have catastrophic consequences.
Managing our mental health on 12:41 - Sep 4 with 1594 viewsonehunglow

Managing our mental health on 11:15 - Sep 4 by Fireboy2

Just recently a firefighter I know committed suicide, he was a great firefighter and a even greater man, he obviously had problems that as you say he stored up but never dealt with.

He had been retired for almost 5 years, whilst in the job he could have a laugh and forget his problems, put them aside but after retiring he lost that outlet, yes he saw people he worked with but it wasn't enough and he was too proud to get help.

What I am saying is that storing it up in a little room at the back of your swede isn't good, eventually it will show itself and if you don't meet it head on it can have catastrophic consequences.

That is so very true .
I have been to many suicides and attempted ones and all remain with me .
Sometimes,they pop out of my sub conscious

Retiring from a tough job where death is never far away is challenging especially if you have no outside interests .
I had releases and would not be here now had I not .

Managing our mental health on 13:26 - Sep 4 with 1569 viewstrampie

Managing our mental health on 11:15 - Sep 4 by Fireboy2

You are talking about a grown man, that does not apply to a teenager, it's not good to try and give blanket advice that would be inappropriate in certain circumstances.

Let's talk about your dead mammy and daddy and the negative impact it might have on your life chances and that there is nobody to take you to sports clubs etc etc
It could have the opposite effect and push somebody to the brink in that circumstance.

Managing our mental health on 16:03 - Sep 4 with 1555 viewsFireboy2

Managing our mental health on 13:26 - Sep 4 by trampie

You are talking about a grown man, that does not apply to a teenager, it's not good to try and give blanket advice that would be inappropriate in certain circumstances.

Let's talk about your dead mammy and daddy and the negative impact it might have on your life chances and that there is nobody to take you to sports clubs etc etc
It could have the opposite effect and push somebody to the brink in that circumstance.

FFS you obviously have no idea on how help for people who have been through traumatic experiences differs, it isn't one size fits all.

No wonder no one gives you the time of day.
Managing our mental health on 17:06 - Sep 4 with 1525 viewstrampie

Managing our mental health on 16:03 - Sep 4 by Fireboy2

FFS you obviously have no idea on how help for people who have been through traumatic experiences differs, it isn't one size fits all.

No wonder no one gives you the time of day.

Ark at you giving it the big one, I have given you a reason why there is not a definite way of doing things, now wind your neck in and stop having a hissy fit, I wouldn't want you next to me in the trenches, what a big girls blouse you are.

Managing our mental health on 18:02 - Sep 4 with 1519 viewsFireboy2

Managing our mental health on 17:06 - Sep 4 by trampie

Ark at you giving it the big one, I have given you a reason why there is not a definite way of doing things, now wind your neck in and stop having a hissy fit, I wouldn't want you next to me in the trenches, what a big girls blouse you are.

This post sums up the last sentence of my last post.
Managing our mental health on 18:21 - Sep 4 with 1492 viewstrampie

Managing our mental health on 18:02 - Sep 4 by Fireboy2

This post sums up the last sentence of my last post.

You having a go at me on a mental health thread, that is what is going on here, sad.when talking about this particular subject matter, you saying I have no idea in dealing with mental health, when I have more idea than most if not all on this board.
You are not man enough to say sorry because I am now sure you now know I was speaking from experience instead you are having a go at me personally, the other way round I could not do that, I would say sorry butt I know understand where you are coming from, I would like to think you made a genuine mistake in misunderstanding my original posts, but not to say sorry when you made a mistake on this particular thread of all threads is poor.

Managing our mental health on 18:33 - Sep 4 with 1484 viewsSullutaCreturned

Managing our mental health on 21:07 - Sep 2 by trampie

If you have processed things then you are not puttingthem in a box and forgetting about them.

You are dealing with them.

I could give you my own sob story, I put many things to the back of my mind and didn't think on them but then 30 years on it all came out and my life improved dramatically too.

If tht worked for you then great but for those who choose to talk about it nobody should be such an idiot as to call them sissy's.
Managing our mental health on 18:42 - Sep 4 with 1459 viewstrampie

Managing our mental health on 18:33 - Sep 4 by SullutaCreturned

If you have processed things then you are not puttingthem in a box and forgetting about them.

You are dealing with them.

I could give you my own sob story, I put many things to the back of my mind and didn't think on them but then 30 years on it all came out and my life improved dramatically too.

If tht worked for you then great but for those who choose to talk about it nobody should be such an idiot as to call them sissy's.

Great for adults to talk, but an adult needs somebody to talk to, yet there are people on here that apparently won't give other message board posters 'the time of day'.

Managing our mental health on 18:47 - Sep 4 with 1469 viewsSullutaCreturned

Managing our mental health on 18:42 - Sep 4 by trampie

Great for adults to talk, but an adult needs somebody to talk to, yet there are people on here that apparently won't give other message board posters 'the time of day'.

I thought you didn't want to talk? I thought you were strong and tough but now you're crying?

Go find Kilkenny, you two have a lot in common. See, there's a friend for everybody.
Managing our mental health on 18:52 - Sep 4 with 1450 viewstrampie

Managing our mental health on 18:47 - Sep 4 by SullutaCreturned

I thought you didn't want to talk? I thought you were strong and tough but now you're crying?

Go find Kilkenny, you two have a lot in common. See, there's a friend for everybody.

I don't have mental health problems, so have nothing to talk about, but if I did as an adult I would want to talk, as a child I would not want to talk.
Kilkenny is best poster on here.

Managing our mental health on 19:44 - Sep 4 with 1443 viewsFireboy2

Managing our mental health on 18:21 - Sep 4 by trampie

You having a go at me on a mental health thread, that is what is going on here, sad.when talking about this particular subject matter, you saying I have no idea in dealing with mental health, when I have more idea than most if not all on this board.
You are not man enough to say sorry because I am now sure you now know I was speaking from experience instead you are having a go at me personally, the other way round I could not do that, I would say sorry butt I know understand where you are coming from, I would like to think you made a genuine mistake in misunderstanding my original posts, but not to say sorry when you made a mistake on this particular thread of all threads is poor.

FFS I give up 🙄
Managing our mental health on 16:28 - Sep 5 with 1379 viewsSullutaCreturned

Managing our mental health on 18:52 - Sep 4 by trampie

I don't have mental health problems, so have nothing to talk about, but if I did as an adult I would want to talk, as a child I would not want to talk.

Oh, now you would want to talk. There's a change.

PS, don't hink that because you have gone through something but that others on here haven't.

You have no idea about others lives.
Managing our mental health on 18:57 - Sep 5 with 1349 viewstrampie

https://theconversation.com/mental-health-its-not-always-good-to-talk-197951#:~:

Managing our mental health on 23:00 - Sep 5 with 1327 viewsonehunglow

Managing our mental health on 16:28 - Sep 5 by SullutaCreturned

Oh, now you would want to talk. There's a change.

PS, don't hink that because you have gone through something but that others on here haven't.

You have no idea about others lives.

Most of us have faced personal trauma
We deal with it as we see fit
I would lecture nobody on that subject except to be true to oneself

Managing our mental health (n/t) on 19:50 - Sep 17 with 1110 viewsTogg

[Post edited 17 Sep 2023 19:51]
Managing our mental health on 08:56 - Sep 18 with 1073 viewsonehunglow

1. You don’t know if you do have mental health issues. Many don’t
Killykenny is the best poster because you agree with him.
My favourite posters are not those with whom I agree but ones that make me think .
We should always be challenging and testing our beliefs .

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024