Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A second tier European ‘league’ / competition 13:35 - Oct 24 with 1580 viewsKeithHaynes

Talking to someone this morning who was on the LMA ( League Managers Association ) he reckons it’s only a matter of time before we see this coming in for Championship clubs. And when it was first suggested there wasn’t a completely negative response. He reckons within the next few years it could be tried out.

Could it be the death knell for competitive Championship football ?

It most certainly would change the selection of match day teams if they have a midweek game as well. I think some clubs would prioritise the European fixtures.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 18:35 - Oct 24 with 1475 viewsThrasher6

Great for the fans though surely Keith....as in some good away days...
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 18:56]

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 18:40 - Oct 24 with 1472 viewsDr_Winston

They tried something similar years ago with the Anglo-Italian cup. Very few people cared about it. Different era now maybe, but it all plays into something that I've grumbled about before; Too many games.

At some point the pursuit of cash by the Governing bodies and the clubs will begin leaving a trail of broken players behind it.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 18:49 - Oct 24 with 1466 viewsSullutaCreturned

A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 18:40 - Oct 24 by Dr_Winston

They tried something similar years ago with the Anglo-Italian cup. Very few people cared about it. Different era now maybe, but it all plays into something that I've grumbled about before; Too many games.

At some point the pursuit of cash by the Governing bodies and the clubs will begin leaving a trail of broken players behind it.

All that AND with Championship clubs not beig able to afford bigger squads the fans must surely vote with their feet if the Championship standard suffers a lot?

Look what happened with the proposed Wuro super league as well. I can't see the fans being behind this and while owners eyes may light up at the thought, the backlash could be quite strong.

How does this idea work? What about away fans, there would hardly be any. With the extra games too, who can afford the extra money for the home games?

I'm not really that bothered now, I nly go because my son wants to and he was ill Saturday so I didn't bother and he had football training tonight so I again haven't bothered.
I'll watch at home. If this uro idea happens I won't bother at all, not even on tv.
A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 19:00 - Oct 24 with 1443 viewsKeithHaynes

A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 18:35 - Oct 24 by Thrasher6

Great for the fans though surely Keith....as in some good away days...
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 18:56]

I’m unsure many would find it that interesting until any ‘latter stages’ depends on how the competition is formatted.

South Spain games would suit us 😉

A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 23:19 - Oct 24 with 1381 viewsReslovenSwan1

A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 18:40 - Oct 24 by Dr_Winston

Swansea do not have a great squad depth but several players hardly get any game time.

Ashby
Kukharevich
Njtoe
Congreve
Fisher
Walsh

Smith, Lissah, Azeem, Fletcher, Lloyd are primed and ready to go.

Wise sage since Toshack era

A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 18:44 - Oct 25 with 1223 viewsjack247

Sounds like it would be brilliant for a season or two, then fizzle out.

Midweek games with next to no away fans in a competition clubs and fans probably wouldn’t really care about. If it comes in, I can’t see it lasting.

I would go to a couple of away games while it’s a novelty though.
A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 20:23 - Oct 25 with 1192 viewsLuther27

If it means the final being played in Young Boys Stadium I’m sure it’ll give a lot of pleasure 😳
A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 12:03 - Oct 28 with 1063 viewsRhonddaSwans

A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 19:00 - Oct 24 by KeithHaynes

I’m unsure many would find it that interesting until any ‘latter stages’ depends on how the competition is formatted.

South Spain games would suit us 😉

😂 I wonder why 🤔....

Poll: Will we beat Poland?

Login to get fewer ads

A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 12:18 - Oct 28 with 1045 viewsRhonddaSwans

How would one qualify for it?
As the top 2 would be in the Premier League the next season.

Its transition towards a super League in my eyes

Poll: Will we beat Poland?

A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 11:53 - Oct 29 with 955 viewsJJJack

A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 12:18 - Oct 28 by RhonddaSwans

How would one qualify for it?
As the top 2 would be in the Premier League the next season.

Its transition towards a super League in my eyes

With the current drive on net-zero etc I cannot see this happening in a million years. And what about cost? Championship clubs - it would cost tens of thousands/week to enter this so also cannot see it being financially viable.
A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 12:12 - Oct 29 with 932 viewsWhiterockin

If any club had serious ambitions of getting promoted to the Premier League, would they really want to travel halfway around Europe midweek.
A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 14:36 - Oct 29 with 883 viewsSullutaCreturned

A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 12:12 - Oct 29 by Whiterockin

If any club had serious ambitions of getting promoted to the Premier League, would they really want to travel halfway around Europe midweek.

Only if winning the competition got them an EPL place too.
A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 16:57 - Oct 29 with 837 viewsWhiterockin

A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 14:36 - Oct 29 by SullutaCreturned

Only if winning the competition got them an EPL place too.

I think that could cause complications. If a championship club won the competition the promotion/relegation rules would have to change that season. 4 down 4 up? No play offs? The team coming 2nd goes into the play offs and 6th place you get nothing? I really can't see how it would work.
A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 08:53 - Oct 30 with 741 viewsfelixstowe_jack

It would also need a reduction in the number of championship teams to match the PL. Probably reduced to 20 teams. 4 fewer teams would mean 8 less mid week games per season.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

A second tier European ‘league’ / competition on 09:30 - Oct 30 with 733 viewsKeithHaynes

Premier League one and two coming I think.
That will leave the football league without access to the top leagues. So no relegation from PL2.
That’s what the Americans ( not ours but in general ) love.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024