Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Irish Unification Referendum 18:34 - Feb 7 with 5287 viewsjohnlangy

When there is a unification referendum a very strange occurrence could take place.

In the 2019 GE a huge number of natural Labour voters in the Red Wall seats voted Conservative for the very first (and hopefully last) time. And they did that in order to ‘Get Brexit Done’. They ‘lent’ the Conservatives their vote for the one specific purpose. Because they had voted for Brexit.

In Northern Ireland, in the 2016 referendum, the vote was 58% to remain. Which means that a substantial number of unionists voted for remain. So, when the Unification referendum happens it’s quite possible that a similar thing will happen as per the 2019 GE. Except in reverse.

The Red Wall voters voted Tory to get Brexit done. In NI unionists may vote for the Nationalists unification argument (lend them their vote for the one specific purpose) in order to rejoin the EU. Because they had voted remain.

An interesting thought.
Irish Unification Referendum on 20:45 - Feb 13 with 693 viewsKilkennyjack

Irish Unification Referendum on 16:10 - Feb 13 by felixstowe_jack

They will still have dual nationality. Can't see any independence agreement between the ROI and the UK being made without guaranteeing the rights of the people who wish to remain British and giving them the rights to either remain in Ulster or move to the UK.

Wonder if ROI will take over NI share of the UK national debt. £67 billion as well as guaranteeing to pay all NI benefits, unemployment, pensions etc.

I agree that the option to retain British citizenship is likely to be part of the future united Ireland.

Russia tried to pass national debt to the Baltic nations, Estonia etc.
Failed.
International law says debt cannot be taken out in your name.
Debt is when you take out a debt.
The people in the north of Ireland never approved any debt and so it cannot be taken out in their name. Has to be specific.

Its also a dreadful way to try and shackle people to a failed state. Not sunlight uplands then ?

Beware of the Risen People

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:56 - Feb 13 with 688 viewsKilkennyjack

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:13 - Feb 13 by SullutaCreturned

Can you name me a country/state that isn't made up? You keep using that term, do you understand anything?

There are countries in the world that are younger, South Sudan was recognised in 2011.

What if the ROI have their own vote and decide they don't want to unite?

Well Ireland was one nation for hundreds of years.

Sadly part of that long history involved the imposition of London rule across the whole island of Ireland. But it remained a single nation even then.

The welsh pm of the uk David Lloyd George gave Michael Collins a choice.
Accept the partition if the Irish nation, or the uk will visit a terrible war upon the island of Ireland.
Collins had no real choice.
So I am not sure what else to call it, it was made up.
And no man can stop the march of a nation, it was never going to stand.

Michelle O’Neill is the latest step towards the inevitable.
Ireland is one nation.

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:58 - Feb 13 with 686 viewsKilkennyjack

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:41 - Feb 13 by SullutaCreturned

Remind me again, when did the "troubles" start in Ireland?

I didn't realise Brexit had caused it all. Maybe because it didn't.

The Troubles never ended the union.
Brexit will.

Irish Unification Referendum on 23:37 - Feb 13 with 663 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:56 - Feb 13 by Kilkennyjack

Sadly part of that long history involved the imposition of London rule across the whole island of Ireland. But it remained a single nation even then.

Accept the partition if the Irish nation, or the uk will visit a terrible war upon the island of Ireland.

Ireland is one nation.

Where do you get your history from? Prior to the Angevins going in following the Laudabiliter issued by the Pope the island of Ireland was made up of several tribal petty kingdoms/clans who liked nothing better than to beat the living shit out of one another.

Some habits never die I suppose.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Irish Unification Referendum on 08:53 - Feb 14 with 622 viewsjackrmee

Irish Unification Referendum on 17:54 - Feb 12 by onehunglow

If you are welsh,would you re identify as English ?

Definitely not.
But I would go from English to Irish no problem ha

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Irish Unification Referendum on 08:58 - Feb 14 with 620 viewsjackrmee

Irish Unification Referendum on 23:05 - Feb 12 by onehunglow

Facts are facts
Majority in the north identify as Zbritusit says do on their passports
Are they to javck them in for an Irish one
Straight question as was the one about Welsh people being forced to become English citizens
Imagine

I don’t identify as British, even though it says so on my passport.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Irish Unification Referendum on 19:00 - Feb 14 with 573 viewsSullutaCreturned

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:56 - Feb 13 by Kilkennyjack

Ireland is one nation.

Of course it was made up, as every country is. All borders defined by man are artificial and have been changed regularly all through history, it's nothing new.

Ireland was just like Wales, a bunch of tribes busy killing each other.

Now then, the year was 1367, have you heard of the ironically named "Statutes of Kilkenny"?

Maybe you should read some history so, y'know, you'd be more informed when you post.
Irish Unification Referendum on 19:06 - Feb 14 with 566 viewsonehunglow

Irish Unification Referendum on 08:58 - Feb 14 by jackrmee

I don’t identify as British, even though it says so on my passport.

Do you identify as a man ?
Let me help you. Look down and if you see a penis ,you’re a male whether you identify or not.
I’d like to identify as a Golden Eagle but don’t have the wing span .
If you are born in Wales ,yiu are British.
Fact ,whether you like it or not .
[Post edited 14 Feb 19:08]

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Login to get fewer ads

Irish Unification Referendum on 21:16 - Feb 14 with 536 viewsKilkennyjack

Irish Unification Referendum on 19:06 - Feb 14 by onehunglow

Let me help you. Look down and if you see a penis ,you’re a male whether you identify or not.

Not true ….. if you are born in Wales, you are Welsh.

Britain is not a nation 👍

Irish Unification Referendum on 22:14 - Feb 14 with 530 viewsKilkennyjack

This is the future, well done all.

Irish Unification Referendum on 22:19 - Feb 14 with 528 viewsonehunglow

Irish Unification Referendum on 21:16 - Feb 14 by Kilkennyjack

Some would argue Wales is not a nation being constitutionally alignedcwithhEngland.
The lingua Franca of 80% is English, law is English, tv English ( unless you like farming dramas) .
Our nationality is British
I was born in Wales and am Welsh and British.
It’s not that important.
I would kill over it ,which is what Irish did

Irish Unification Referendum on 22:45 - Feb 14 with 510 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

He’ll have to dig the magnifying glass out first.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Irish Unification Referendum on 05:59 - Feb 15 with 494 viewsSullutaCreturned

OHL, he'd be British AND Welsh, not just British.

If he moved to another country and took citizenship he'd be considered a naturalised resident and gain a passport for that country.

Northern irish people are already Irish though so changing their passports to irish isn't an issue.
Irish Unification Referendum on 08:58 - Feb 15 with 475 viewsonehunglow

Irish Unification Referendum on 05:59 - Feb 15 by SullutaCreturned

OHL, he'd be British AND Welsh, not just British.

If he moved to another country and took citizenship he'd be considered a naturalised resident and gain a passport for that country.

Northern irish people are already Irish though so changing their passports to irish isn't an issue.

Cat
I disagree.
Maybe it’s the Ulster people I have come across .
No answers yet as to the change of Head of State

Irish Unification Referendum on 10:51 - Feb 15 with 458 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Irish Unification Referendum on 21:16 - Feb 14 by Kilkennyjack

How wrong you are you are a citizen on the United Kingdom which of course is a Nation snd country recognised by the Whole world including the United Nations and the EU.

Wales is not a nation recognised by anyone it is part on the United Kingdom. Bit like Yorkshire. You can be a Yorkshire man and British.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Irish Unification Referendum on 11:38 - Feb 15 with 438 viewsonehunglow

Irish Unification Referendum on 10:51 - Feb 15 by felixstowe_jack

How wrong you are you are a citizen on the United Kingdom which of course is a Nation snd country recognised by the Whole world including the United Nations and the EU.

Wales is not a nation recognised by anyone it is part on the United Kingdom. Bit like Yorkshire. You can be a Yorkshire man and British.

What flag would the new united Ireland.
The tricolour or maybe the current ROI would have the hand of Ulster as theirs or a mmixture of the two.
Asking for a friend

Irish Unification Referendum on 11:39 - Feb 15 with 437 viewsonehunglow

Incredible isn’t it.
Why change the status quo in Ireland anyway as it’s “ peaceful” these days

Irish Unification Referendum on 18:36 - Feb 15 with 416 viewsKilkennyjack

Still wrong.

Pity mun ….

I know you will still fail to understand but Wiki says …

A nation is a group of people with a common language, history, culture, and (usually) geographic territory. Think Wales.

A state is an association of people characterized by formal institutions of government, including laws; permanent territorial boundaries; and sovereignty (political independence). Think UK.

They are not the same thing.

[Post edited 15 Feb 18:47]

Irish Unification Referendum on 18:42 - Feb 15 with 394 viewsKilkennyjack

Irish Unification Referendum on 11:38 - Feb 15 by onehunglow

What flag would the new united Ireland.
The tricolour or maybe the current ROI would have the hand of Ulster as theirs or a mmixture of the two.
Asking for a friend

Easy one.

The Irish tricolour already caters for all the people on the island of Ireland.

Green - the catholic nationalist peoples
White - represents peace
Orange - the protestant peoples

Clever see …. to represent all the peoples like that.

I just thank God that there is no dragon on the union jack.

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:29 - Feb 15 with 357 viewsSullutaCreturned

Irish Unification Referendum on 18:36 - Feb 15 by Kilkennyjack

Still wrong.

Pity mun ….

I know you will still fail to understand but Wiki says …

A nation is a group of people with a common language, history, culture, and (usually) geographic territory. Think Wales.

A state is an association of people characterized by formal institutions of government, including laws; permanent territorial boundaries; and sovereignty (political independence). Think UK.

They are not the same thing.

[Post edited 15 Feb 18:47]

Another Kilkenny fail then, tell me what amongst those definitions does the Uk not have? Common language...English, common history...yes, hundreds of years. Common culture....go on, deny it. And geographic territory....you know its true.

Besides which Britannia was a place before Wales existed and the Welsh peoples are some of the original inhabitants of these islands, we actually ARE British, a fact that goes all the way back to before even the Romans. The Celtic Britons were on these islands from the Iron age.

Face it Kilkenny, you are British. On that bombshell, haven't you ever heard of a "nations state"?

Here you go, https://www.britannica.com/topic/nation-state

Nation-state, a territorially bounded sovereign polity—i.e., a state—that is ruled in the name of a community of citizens who identify themselves as a nation. The legitimacy of a nation-state’s rule over a territory and over the population inhabiting it stems from the right of a core national group within the state (which may include all or only some of its citizens) to self-determination. Members of the core national group see the state as belonging to them and consider the approximate territory of the state to be their homeland. Accordingly, they demand that other groups, both within and outside the state, recognize and respect their control over the state. As the American sociologist Rogers Brubaker put it in Nationalism Reframed: Nationhood and the National Question in the New Europe (1996), nation-states are “states of and for particular nations.”
Irish Unification Referendum on 20:38 - Feb 15 with 346 viewsonehunglow

Irish Unification Referendum on 18:42 - Feb 15 by Kilkennyjack

Easy one.

The Irish tricolour already caters for all the people on the island of Ireland.

Green - the catholic nationalist peoples
White - represents peace
Orange - the protestant peoples

Clever see …. to represent all the peoples like that.

I just thank God that there is no dragon on the union jack.

A dragon , a daffodil or a poinsettia , just wtf
A flag is a piece of cloth that has killed millions

Irish Unification Referendum on 08:12 - Feb 16 with 308 viewsKilkennyjack

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:38 - Feb 15 by onehunglow

A dragon , a daffodil or a poinsettia , just wtf
A flag is a piece of cloth that has killed millions

It has.

Irish Unification Referendum on 08:56 - Feb 16 with 296 viewsKilkennyjack

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:29 - Feb 15 by SullutaCreturned

Another Kilkenny fail then, tell me what amongst those definitions does the Uk not have? Common language...English, common history...yes, hundreds of years. Common culture....go on, deny it. And geographic territory....you know its true.

Besides which Britannia was a place before Wales existed and the Welsh peoples are some of the original inhabitants of these islands, we actually ARE British, a fact that goes all the way back to before even the Romans. The Celtic Britons were on these islands from the Iron age.

Face it Kilkenny, you are British. On that bombshell, haven't you ever heard of a "nations state"?

Nation-state, a territorially bounded sovereign polity—i.e., a state—that is ruled in the name of a community of citizens who identify themselves as a nation. The legitimacy of a nation-state’s rule over a territory and over the population inhabiting it stems from the right of a core national group within the state (which may include all or only some of its citizens) to self-determination. Members of the core national group see the state as belonging to them and consider the approximate territory of the state to be their homeland. Accordingly, they demand that other groups, both within and outside the state, recognize and respect their control over the state. As the American sociologist Rogers Brubaker put it in Nationalism Reframed: Nationhood and the National Question in the New Europe (1996), nation-states are “states of and for particular nations.”

You need to inform Wiki that they are wrong then …..

Language - well even the biggest yoon will acknowledge that English was imposed upon the native celtic languages of the islands by force of arms. So no common language existed. English of course has Germanic roots.

Common culture - well the BBC view of our saint like Royal family is a con job. Of course the Irish, the Scots and the Welsh all have their own ancient cultures which pre dates the concept of a UK political state run by London.

Geographical territory - yes all of Scotland, Wales and Ireland have had distinct geographical territories.

And if by British you actually mean welsh DNA then that supports the argument that arrival of the Saes was a change event and imposed through force of arms. The winner does not get to say that the defeated side never existed.

Please take your complaint up with Wiki.

Irish Unification Referendum on 09:49 - Feb 16 with 276 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Irish Unification Referendum on 20:29 - Feb 15 by SullutaCreturned

Killy will never admit his definition of a Nation is at odds with 90% of the worlds population..

He even thinks everyone one in the UK retreated to Wales when the Anglo Saxons, vikings and Normans settled in Wales. This is despite all the genetic testing which proved most of the Ancient Britions just remained where they where.

The DNA of the Welsh population has shown that even in medieval times rhe was no one Welsh DNA group but 5 separate DNA types suggesting 5 different tribal areas rather than a single nation. Genetically North and South Wales are as Genetically different as Scotland and Southern England which proves there was never a single Genetic race in Wales.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Irish Unification Referendum on 17:20 - Feb 16 with 231 viewsSullutaCreturned

Irish Unification Referendum on 09:49 - Feb 16 by felixstowe_jack

Killy will never admit his definition of a Nation is at odds with 90% of the worlds population..

He even thinks everyone one in the UK retreated to Wales when the Anglo Saxons, vikings and Normans settled in Wales. This is despite all the genetic testing which proved most of the Ancient Britions just remained where they where.

The DNA of the Welsh population has shown that even in medieval times rhe was no one Welsh DNA group but 5 separate DNA types suggesting 5 different tribal areas rather than a single nation. Genetically North and South Wales are as Genetically different as Scotland and Southern England which proves there was never a single Genetic race in Wales.

Killy has his own facts, his own truth and its different to most other peoples.

There never was a Wales the way Kilky imagines it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024